The EU says Steams current store geoblocking system will break the law when it changes in 2020, asks them to change it before that happens

Master Disaster

Well it aint a bad thing until steam makes it a bad thing, EU has actually done a gppd thing here and as far as i can see they really aint the problem in this setting.

I want geoblocking gone because I want to purchase native english versions of games on Origin :D - IDK if that rule will be applicable here but I can only hope.

CPU: i7 6950X  |  Motherboard: Asus Rampage V ed. 10  |  RAM: 32 GB Corsair Dominator Platinum Special Edition 3200 MHz (CL14)  |  GPUs: 2x Asus GTX 1080ti SLI 

Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 1 TB M.2 NVME  |  PSU: In Win SIV 1065W 

Cooling: Custom LC 2 x 360mm EK Radiators | EK D5 Pump | EK 250 Reservoir | EK RVE10 Monoblock | EK GPU Blocks & Backplates | Alphacool Fittings & Connectors | Alphacool Glass Tubing

Case: In Win Tou 2.0  |  Display: Alienware AW3418DW  |  Sound: Woo Audio WA8 Eclipse + Focal Utopia Headphones

4 hours ago, VanayadGaming said:

There are several currencies in the EU... lots more than those 3 you mentioned :P

Yeah I realised this too late, was kinda drunk when I responded to this haha 

MSI B450 Pro Gaming Pro Carbon AC | AMD Ryzen 2700x  | NZXT  Kraken X52  MSI GeForce RTX2070 Armour | Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4*8) 3200MhZ | Samsung 970 evo M.2nvme 500GB Boot  / Samsung 860 evo 500GB SSD | Corsair RM550X (2018) | Fractal Design Meshify C white | Logitech G pro WirelessGigabyte Aurus AD27QD 

20 minutes ago, huilun02 said:

Why not apply the same rule to food products, and have producers and wholesalers force high prices onto poorer EU states?

How would they feel about that?

I think I'm missing the analogy here because I don't see how it's applying the same rule ?

CPU: i7 6950X  |  Motherboard: Asus Rampage V ed. 10  |  RAM: 32 GB Corsair Dominator Platinum Special Edition 3200 MHz (CL14)  |  GPUs: 2x Asus GTX 1080ti SLI 

Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 1 TB M.2 NVME  |  PSU: In Win SIV 1065W 

Cooling: Custom LC 2 x 360mm EK Radiators | EK D5 Pump | EK 250 Reservoir | EK RVE10 Monoblock | EK GPU Blocks & Backplates | Alphacool Fittings & Connectors | Alphacool Glass Tubing

Case: In Win Tou 2.0  |  Display: Alienware AW3418DW  |  Sound: Woo Audio WA8 Eclipse + Focal Utopia Headphones

5 hours ago, valdyrgramr said:

Can you bypass that by changing your region on Battle.net since Destiny 2 is still listed under there as is the new COD?  

I don't know, but I think that you'd have to change your IP address to one from the region you want your game to be for when buying it, and also to that region in order to play it (and then you'd have latency because it would connect to game servers for that region and through the VPN you're using).

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

Hopefully this will bring in some nice EU discounts.

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

Seems a messy situation indeed. Here in Croatia something like $60/€60 for a game is, quite a lot. It's numerous times more, compared to average salary, than vs US or some other EU countries for example which have the same price. 

So normalizing prices through EU would make poor countries pay even more (while we currently already do) and more wealthy ones less. Where I live we're in EU for a while now, still not using € though. It will probably suck the day we do. Who knows how this will end up. But oh wow will I not buy games any more if the price would ever go up. Even now AAA price is quite a good chunk of a monthly salary. Should I add games tend to get released more scuffed and extra money grabbing then ever.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

10 hours ago, mr moose said:

The article states that:

I read that (as many others appear to have), that they are looking at the entirety of steam, meaning it will effect the entirety of the digital online sales and the effects of geo blocking (which is what is actually being discussed here).   If consumers have access to cheaper pricing in another country (through the steam store and not a third party) then that will undermine the current economy of steams business.  How that ends is what people are concerned about.

Article says what article says. There's already taxation reasons why Steam can have different pricing in different countries (last year EU stated that ecommerence platforms must pay taxes to and by the coutries of their customers, not many care about that because it's highly unenforced because the monitoring and acting is pushed to the countries tax officials). The press release itself just talks about "activation codes" and in case of Bandai Namco, Focus Home, Koch Media and ZeniMax contractual export restrictions in their agreements with a number of distributors other than Valve (which a lot seems like they were limiting the countries where boxed games could be bought or having geoblocked keys in boxes to limit the key reselling).

Either way more or less this falls into the hands of publishers and developers and how greedy they are. The games are actually a lot cheaper in far bigger markets than the richer EU countries and it doesn't even matter because people can just buy the games a lot cheaper by buying them from other services. If they were to remove store areas and put the same price to everywhere and that would be the sixth highest price in the world, I can see how G2A, Kinguin and others rub their hands together because they still can provide keys outside of the EU with a lot cheaper prices and their userbase will grow.

On 4/5/2019 at 9:16 PM, Master Disaster said:

Source - https://wccftech.com/steam-geoblocking-eu-antitrust/

God damn the EU is on a huge powertrip right now, meddling in everything. RIP cheap game keys from 2020 I suppose.

No it isn't 

This is legislation that's been in place for decades. Its Competition law.

Companies are fixing prices here within the EU when the EU trade rules allow an EU citizen to purchase goods and services across boundaries equally.

Nothing to do with power trips at all.

My Rig "Valiant"  Intel® Core™ i7-5930 @3.5GHz ; Asus X99 DELUXE 3.1 ; Corsair H110i ; Corsair Dominator Platinium 64GB 3200MHz CL16 DDR4 ; 2 x 6GB ASUS NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 980 Ti Strix ; Corsair Obsidian Series 900D ; Samsung 950 Pro NVME + Samsung 850 Pro SATA + HDD Western Digital Black - 2TB ; Corsair AX1500i Professional 80 PLUS Titanium ; x3 Samsung S27D850T 27-Inch WQHD Monitor

Welp since they passed the whole article 13/17 fiasco and now they want to do this I say it's just time that all internet companies just pulled out of Europe until they get their shit together. The pressure that they'll get from their citizens when they can't access things like Facebook, Google, Steam, etc will force changes to be made.

On 4/5/2019 at 4:17 PM, Trik'Stari said:

What's hilarious to me is that this will just default to the most expensive price.

The spirit of this is to make it easier for people to get cheaper games, or at least a more fair deal, but it won't result in that. Because, why would they? Companies will just default their games to the highest price in the region, and eat the loss in sales in poorer areas, or areas where the game might be older, and the price having been reduced over time.

To me, just another example of how governments routinely don't understand how businesses work, and end up hurting people more than helping.

Although its quite possible this may happen, you cant say this with hundred percent certainty considering theres factors you dont know about. How big is the market in those poorer countries? How many sales will a company lose? Theres a lot of math involved here a lot more variables at play then just saying a will result in b etc.

9 hours ago, Zeeus said:

Although its quite possible this may happen, you cant say this with hundred percent certainty considering theres factors you dont know about. How big is the market in those poorer countries? How many sales will a company lose? Theres a lot of math involved here a lot more variables at play then just saying a will result in b etc.

Well, I could also factor in the man hours in paying a financial expert to figure all that out.

Then I could remove that, by simply defaulting to the highest price in the region and not paying someone to figure all that out. If we've learned anything from the gaming community, it's that their cognitive dissonance will convince most of them to pay anything for whatever is hyped the hardest and hits that indescribable X-Factor.

This is the problem with the concept of a single market.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

2 minutes ago, Trik'Stari said:

Well, I could also factor in the man hours in paying a financial expert to figure all that out.

Then I could remove that, by simply defaulting to the highest price in the region and not paying someone to figure all that out. If we've learned anything from the gaming community, it's that their cognitive dissonance will convince most of them to pay anything for whatever is hyped the hardest and hits that indescribable X-Factor.

This is the problem with the concept of a single market.

The cost of an individuals salary is irrelevant -- and companies certainly realize that. But, more importantly, just setting prices at the highest price doesn't necessarily maximize profits if the largest market happens to be one that can't afford those prices. Regardless, a move like this is far more likely to hurt poorer regions more than it could potentially benefit a wealthier region.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

24 minutes ago, 79wjd said:

The cost of an individuals salary is irrelevant -- and companies certainly realize that. But, more importantly, just setting prices at the highest price doesn't necessarily maximize profits if the largest market happens to be one that can't afford those prices. Regardless, a move like this is far more likely to hurt poorer regions more than it could potentially benefit a wealthier region.

We also need to factor in the political aspect.

The CEO or whomever saying, "okay, f**k those politicians, I'll make this entire thing painful for as many people as possible and then spin it as "we had no choice" and then make it the politicians fault for their stupid laws".

Not saying I agree with any of this.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

1 hour ago, 79wjd said:

1 hour ago, Trik'Stari said:

We also need to factor in the political aspect.

The CEO or whomever saying, "okay, f**k those politicians, I'll make this entire thing painful for as many people as possible and then spin it as "we had no choice" and then make it the politicians fault for their stupid laws".

Not saying I agree with any of this.

Both of these are likely outcomes.   Until we have a one world government and currency we are beholden to the complexities of dealing with lots of littler ones. 

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.