Job Market for Coders

BrytonK

Considering learning to code. I was thinking I'd start with C++ and Unreal Engine 4 based on my friend's recommendations, he has also recommended these learning resources.

https://www.learncpp.com/
https://www.raywenderlich.com/771-unreal-engine-4-tutorial-for-beginners-getting-started
http://math.hws.edu/eck/cs424/downloads/graphicsbook-linked.pdf?fbclid=IwAR1U1cCzV32LGfHdu8bAqcF0j1aZ5_YaHqRqlqGLA09JUwHIU-5-eKjSPVY

But I'm curious, assuming I can handle it and its something I enjoy, Whats the job market like? Specifically for someone with little Experience or formal education.

Thank you kindly 

If you want to get into programming, I would suggest learning a language more used in businesses than learning UE4. Just a suggestion from someone who works in the field. Good languages to learn are HTML, JavaScript, PHP, C#, Java, Python and C++ is used here and there. I have only ever seen one job that actually referenced UE4 in my area, and that was out of thousands of job postings.

Highly depends where you are, what area of work you want to end up in etc.

Though you might want to attend a polytechnic if university education is out of reach, as most places won't hire based on personal experience.

Community Standards || Tech News Posting Guidelines

---======================================================================---

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

But I'm curious, assuming I can handle it and its something I enjoy, Whats the job market like? Specifically for someone with little Experience or formal education.

Thank you kindly 

Unless you’re going to get a college degree, you better be ready to make a AAA quality game on your own. 

Edit:

thats what the other people applying have. 

One thing about being an experienced coder/programmer is that you've learn several languages, and no matter what country you look at code is code. So it is a ticket to explore the world if that's your bag. Developer's are a high demand job in most countries so the visas are easy to get. 

As someone else who works in the field, I would also suggest not starting with UE. Although C++ would be a go place to start. Python would also be a good one. The reason I say C++ is because once you learn one of the C languages, i.e. C/C++, C#, and Java. It's really easy to switch to another one. The syntax on them is pretty much the same with some subtle differences. I've found that programming is learning one language really well and then googling how to do one thing in another language.

On 4/5/2019 at 7:45 PM, BrytonK said:

Whats the job market like?

If you need a safe, future-proof and well-paid job, learn COBOL.

Write in C.

On 4/5/2019 at 3:45 PM, BrytonK said:

Considering learning to code. I was thinking I'd start with C++ and Unreal Engine 4 based on my friend's recommendations, he has also recommended these learning resources.

https://www.learncpp.com/
https://www.raywenderlich.com/771-unreal-engine-4-tutorial-for-beginners-getting-started
http://math.hws.edu/eck/cs424/downloads/graphicsbook-linked.pdf?fbclid=IwAR1U1cCzV32LGfHdu8bAqcF0j1aZ5_YaHqRqlqGLA09JUwHIU-5-eKjSPVY

Thank you kindly 

Depend on what is around you but as other mentioned gaming is an extremely small nice market so very little jobs available. General business is where most openings are. If i look around i would say most of all are web development. The majority are ASP.NET + Javascript or PHP + Javascript positions. Then for standalone apps there is C#/VB.NET and Java that as predominant. And finally a couple of C++ / Pascal positions.

As i specified it depends where you are. If you are located in the middle of silicon valley chances you will be mostly finding more open positions in C, C++, Python than if you are in the middle of Boston. Look at what the market is around you and see if something interest you. If you are still not sure check the tech companies around. Those like me that offer coding services where you work as in-house programming department for them but as a contractor. We are the people that usual deal with the most different kind of projects at the time so we have a better understanding of the local trend and market. I am sure you can reach such company and have a nice talk with some manager there that can probably inform you about that.

5 hours ago, Dat Guy said:

If you need a safe, future-proof and well-paid job, learn COBOL.

Always chuckle when I see someone bring this up, but I know there's a lot of truth in that.  Lot of old systems to maintain.

Overall though, I'd have to say this is a case of having the right tool for the right job.  If there's a specific job you want, then learn the most common languages for that field.  I'd recommend steering clear of any brand new languages, as most companies probably won't have existing systems written in them.

If you're just looking for what's the best general languages to learning, it's the web based ones.  Pretty much everything is moving to web based, so HTML, CSS, Javascript.  

You'll also want experience with SQL and Regex will help you as well, although those two aren't are well standardized as the first three.

From the items you mentioned it kind of sounded like your interest was in gaming. I can't comment on that. I'd like to take a second to reiterate what some folks have said about web based languages. At least in my area it seems like there are always jobs open for  "full stack" type folks usually with some kind of JS library experience. Angular seems to still be pretty big-ish in my area, as an example, but that might just be my perception since I use that and those posts stick out.

So I guess if I had to make a suggestion that specifically wasn't game related I'd say a something like C# or Java, HTML/CSS, and pick a JS library that's big in the area you want to work. Ignore me completely if that's not the case.

My 1.5 cents.

58 minutes ago, Franck said:

Look at what the market is around you and see if something interest you.

Upon further review, just ignore my post and read this quote^

On 4/5/2019 at 3:45 PM, BrytonK said:

Thank you kindly 

Yee i think thats a bad route. Not only is there more competition, but there is little pay compared to other fields. If you want to be in the games industry and make good money, i recommend graphics programming. But you MUST take multivariate calculus and other math seriously.