Corsair RM850X (2018) Loud Click/Noise upon Shutdown

boykale

Hello. I just built my PC and everthing seems fine now. However I realized that a click sound is coming from PSU upon shutdown. Here is a sound of video which is exactly same with mine.

Is this normal? I experienced something like this first time.

https://youtu.be/_Pl6guNalHw?t=14

Also when I start my PC for the first time, it made similar sound and looked like starting but then powered off like I changed somethings in BIOS and then powered on again with a screen indicating You have changed CPU or memory please go BIOS. But then everything is working great. Is this also normal?

PC SPEC
GeForce RTX 2080 Duke 8G OC
Intel Core i7-9700K
MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Plus
Gskill 16 GB (2x8GB) SniperX DDR4 3200MHz CL16 1.35V

As far as I am concerned that's just the relay switch and that's perfectly normal.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

Yep, completely normal, all RMx units will make that noise when it's switched off. I believe the click noise is a physical relay switch changing to 5VSB power when the system is turned off. You'll likely hear the same click when you push the power button and turn the unit back on and it switches back.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

Thanks for making this thread. I was also a little worried about the loud popping coming from my Corsair rmx 750w during shutdown.

1 hour ago, Spotty said:

I believe the click noise is a physical relay switch changing to 5VSB power when the system is turned off.

It's disconnecting the NTC thermistor, but yeah.

1 hour ago, LukeSavenije said:

@jonnyGURU @Corsair Nick I think this one is going to be fun for you...

Why?  What's the problem here?  Seems normal to me.

12 minutes ago, jonnyGURU said:

Why?  What's the problem here?  Seems normal to me.

i wasn't sure, and since you kinda made that thing...

1 minute ago, OrionFOTL said:

It's disconnecting the NTC thermistor, but yeah.

So the click is not for 5VSB instead it's a relay for the NTC Thermistor? *Googles what the heck a NTC Thermistor is*

Spoiler

Summary

Many applications today, including industrial machinery, power tools and other high current equipment, use limiting inrush current as a major design consideration to combat the problematic effects of inrush current. Inrush current occurs when a system powers on and experiences a spike in current. This current can be substantially higher than standard operating current. If not properly managed, it can reduce the effective operating life and impose damage to equipment. For example, inrush current could disable a cooling fan, eventually leading to total system failure.

Applications that are switched on and off quickly, such as welding equipment, present a particular concern for limiting inrush current. The limiting inrush current circuit must reset instantaneously during each power on to protect the system. This further complicates the management of inrush current.

Inrush Current Overview

During power on, a high inrush current can occur because the power supply’s link capacitor functions to dampen ripples in the output current. This capacitor acts like a short, causing an inrush of current. The inrush lasts until the capacitor is charged. Length of the inrush current depends upon the power supply and link capacitor.

The low internal resistance of the power supply aggravates this issue. Any resistance in the power supply introduces inefficiencies through heat. To minimize resistance, engineers typically use an inductive load. While this improves the overall operating efficiency of the power supply, the lack of resistance enables the inrush current to pass through to the main system when the power supply switches on.

Temporarily introducing a high resistance between the power supply and system at power on limits inrush current. The resistance switches out when the initial current surge at power on reaches completion.

NTC-based Limiting

For many systems, a negative temperature coefficient (NTC) thermistor can effectively limit inrush current. An NTC thermistor provides variable resistance based on its temperature. Placing an NTC thermistor between the power supply and system limits inrush current (see Figure 1). At first, the initial temperature of the NTC thermistor is low, providing high resistance. When the system is powered on, it energizes the NTC thermistor, causing the temperature to rise, and thus lowering resistance. As resistance drops to a low value, the current passes through without adversely affecting normal operation or power efficiency.

https://www.ametherm.com/inrush-current/ptc-thermistors-for-inrush-current-limiting

So principal of a NTC thermistor is to add resistance to a circuit and then as it heats up the resistance lowers. In PSUs it's used as a way to protect against inrush current when the unit is switched on... Is that correct? 
Also, why does it get disconnected when the unit is switched off? Is it always connected when the PSU is on? Any photos of one on a PSU so I know what I'm looking at?

(I'm certain people will ask about this again, so I just want to make sure I have the right answer for next time.)

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

32 minutes ago, Spotty said:

In PSUs it's used as a way to protect against inrush current when the unit is switched on... Is that correct? 
Also, why does it get disconnected when the unit is switched off? Is it always connected when the PSU is on? Any photos of one on a PSU so I know what I'm looking at?

Yes, an NTC thermistor is used to limit inrush current when the PSU starts and main caps charge. After the startup phase it doesn't serve any purpose and needlessly consumes some energy, decreasing overall efficiency. So some PSUs also use an electromechanical relay, which disconnects the thermistor after the PSU starts, and reconnects it again when the PSU shuts down, so the thermistor can serve its role during the next time the unit starts.

I kinda wrote my post backwards, should've said it's reconnecting the thermistor on shutdown.

Here's one in Corsair RM850x 2018. Green is the thermistor, black cuboid is its relay.

WUVVwBQl.jpg

Just now, OrionFOTL said:

Yes, and NTC thermistor is used to limit inrush current when the PSU starts and main caps charge. After the startup phase it doesn't serve any purpose and needlessly consumes some energy, decreasing overall efficiency. So some PSUs also use an electromechanical relay, which disconnects the thermistor after the PSU starts, and reconnects it again when the PSU shuts down, so the thermistor can serve its role during the next time the unit starts.

I kinda wrote my post backwards, should've said it's reconnecting the thermistor on shutdown.

Here's one in Corsair RM850x 2018. Green is the thermistor, black cuboid is its relay.

I was confused trying to figure out why it would need a relay to switch it off when the PSU was switched off, but that makes a lot more sense if it's off when the unit is running and reconnects when it shuts down.

Exactly what I needed to know. Thanks, I appreciate it.

9 hours ago, Spotty said:

it's a relay for the NTC Thermistor?

It's resistance decreases the higher the temperature. The more it resists, the more it builds temperature.

Basically, it creates a softer start, as opposed to a short, high burst of inrush current.

9 hours ago, OrionFOTL said:

needlessly consumes some energy, decreasing overall efficiency.

The relay is also used so the NTC thermistor works in a hot start.

Disconnecting the thermistor while the PSU is operating allows it to cool down.

So we're talking about the noise of an electro mechanical switch again??
Why doesn't Corsair just write on the Label "this device contains an electromechanical switch. Noise that sounds like a mechanical switch switching is normal and intended" @jonnyGURU

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

7 hours ago, Stefan Payne said:

Why doesn't Corsair just write on the Label "this device contains an electromechanical switch. Noise that sounds like a mechanical switch switching is normal and intended" @jonnyGURU

I think it's because clueless people will then buy non-Corsair units without such label, not knowing they can still have the switch inside.

53 minutes ago, OrionFOTL said:

I think it's because clueless people will then buy non-Corsair units without such label, not knowing they can still have the switch inside.

Have it written on a sheet of paper in the box of the unit. Doesn't need to be on the product listing.

7 hours ago, OrionFOTL said:

Naa, if you're good at marketing you can sell it as a plus, like not spinning fans *scnr*

You know, like Enermax back in the day, when they sold standard feature as their own in Marketingspeech...

You could claim that its a switch to reduce the inrush current, something like that.

15 hours ago, Stefan Payne said:

So we're talking about the noise of an electro mechanical switch again??

I agree, maybe they need to make it known so the end users can see it and know about it so they don't panic.

As most people know any NEW sounds in a PC is not normally a good thing.

So making it known would be good.

i9 9900K @ 5.0 GHz, NH D15, 32 GB DDR4 3200 GSKILL Trident Z RGB, AORUS Z390 MASTER, EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra, Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB, Samsung 860 EVO 1TB, Samsung 860 EVO 500GB, ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q 27", Steel Series APEX PRO, Logitech Gaming Pro Mouse, CM Master Case 5, Corsair AXI 1600W Titanium. 

i7 8086K, AORUS Z370 Gaming 5, 16GB GSKILL RJV DDR4 3200, EVGA 2080TI FTW3 Ultra, Samsung 970 EVO 250GB, (2)SAMSUNG 860 EVO 500 GB, Acer Predator XB1 XB271HU, Corsair HXI 850W.

i7 8700K, AORUS Z370 Ultra Gaming, 16GB DDR4 3000, EVGA 1080Ti FTW3 Ultra, Samsung 960 EVO 250GB, Corsair HX 850W.

but on the other hand I know that nobody reads a red DIN A5 piece of paper IN RED with WHITE Letters that tells you to NOT use the drive Cables of the old PSU...

4 minutes ago, Stefan Payne said:

but on the other hand I know that nobody reads a red DIN A5 piece of paper IN RED with WHITE Letters that tells you to NOT use the drive Cables of the old PSU...

And there is always that. ROFL ?

I laugh every time I see someone do it.

I just don't get people these days. ?

I think they are getting dumber.

PCs today are ridiculously easy to build compared to the old days you know. It's almost impossible to screw it up, but they still do....

i9 9900K @ 5.0 GHz, NH D15, 32 GB DDR4 3200 GSKILL Trident Z RGB, AORUS Z390 MASTER, EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra, Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB, Samsung 860 EVO 1TB, Samsung 860 EVO 500GB, ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q 27", Steel Series APEX PRO, Logitech Gaming Pro Mouse, CM Master Case 5, Corsair AXI 1600W Titanium. 

i7 8086K, AORUS Z370 Gaming 5, 16GB GSKILL RJV DDR4 3200, EVGA 2080TI FTW3 Ultra, Samsung 970 EVO 250GB, (2)SAMSUNG 860 EVO 500 GB, Acer Predator XB1 XB271HU, Corsair HXI 850W.

i7 8700K, AORUS Z370 Ultra Gaming, 16GB DDR4 3000, EVGA 1080Ti FTW3 Ultra, Samsung 960 EVO 250GB, Corsair HX 850W.