How Do You Make Work Mornings More Enjoyable?

jiyeon
15 minutes ago, dizmo said:

What aren't you enjoying about them? Just saying you don't enjoy them is a pretty broad complaint.

Honestly, it sounds more like you don't like the job, than it is an issue with the time at which you're working.

One thing I can suggest; don't just laze around in bed. As soon as you wake up, get up, make your bed, and start your day.

It may actually be partly due to not enjoying my job to be honest, it's a fucking difficult job for me as an 18 year old but the caliber of the company and the salary is enough for me to stay there at least until I complete my apprenticeship.

I could try getting as soon as I wake up, I've not tried that before since I'm usually one for lounging around before I begin my day.

mechanical keyboard switches aficionado & hi-fi audio enthusiast

switch reviews  how i lube mx-style keyboard switches

22 minutes ago, dizmo said:

Taxis are considerably more expensive, if you take the money you've spent and put that money towards something you actually enjoy, or a trip, it'd likely be a better use of the funds. Again, public transport is fine, and the issue in this case is yourself, not the method of travel.

You're right. I was suggesting it as a one time thing to see if it made a difference in how much @seoz would want to go to work, not as a permanent solution.

22 minutes ago, dizmo said:

To be fair, unless there's an immediate threat to your person, the police shouldn't be responding to a burglary immediately; there are often much more important, pressing things for them to respond to. If it's a slow day, they might, but they're not going to show up blues and twos.

You're right. I don't expect them to turn up immediately, but 7 hours.. come on. 7 hours is just ridiculous. 

Anyway, I don't think this is exactly the right thread for discussing all of this. Probably best if we keep it on topic.

12 hours ago, 1kv said:

It might be the bus. Public transport isn't nice by any means. Buses are always really depressing for me.

What you could do is take a taxi to work one day and see if you feel better going in a taxi rather than on the bus.

Taking a taxi - financially speaking - is usually stupid and a waste of money. If you have to take public transit (which, frankly, that's what a taxi still is, just a more personalized kind of public transit), then taking the bus is way more financially sound.

Consider in most cities, a taxi ride will cost you a minimum of $20 - often much more. Make that twice a day and you've spent $40 just going between home and work.

Now consider how much you make. Even if you made pretty good money, you're still dedicating at least 1-2 hours every day of your workday to just paying to get there. Now consider a person who makes minimum wage - we'll use the unusually high Ontario minimum wage: $14/hr. If you make minimum wage in Ontario, you'd be spending around 3 hours of your workday just paying for the taxi. If we use the US Federal min ($7.25 I think), that's 5.5 hours - or more than HALF of your work day just towards taxi fees.

Compare that with a bus - and even if you're paying cash (more expensive than a monthly pass), you're likely only spending $6-8 per day on your commute instead of $40.

If you can't stand the bus, getting a car is a better alternative to taking a taxi every day, since at least you could use it elsewhere.

Uber can be cheaper - but will still generally be far far more expensive than the bus. Plus Uber and other similar services generally charge extra during peak times.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

1 minute ago, dalekphalm said:

Taking a taxi - financially speaking - is usually stupid and a waste of money. If you have to take public transit (which, frankly, that's what a taxi still is, just a more personalized kind of public transit), then taking the bus is way more financially sound.

Consider in most cities, a taxi ride will cost you a minimum of $20 - often much more. Make that twice a day and you've spent $40 just going between home and work.

Now consider how much you make. Even if you made pretty good money, you're still dedicating at least 1-2 hours every day of your workday to just paying to get there.

Compare that with a bus - and even if you're paying cash (more expensive than a monthly pass), you're likely only spending $6-8 per day on your commute instead of $40.

If you can't stand the bus, getting a car is a better alternative to taking a taxi every day, since at least you could use it elsewhere.

Uber can be cheaper - but will still generally be far far more expensive than the bus. Plus Uber and other similar services generally charge extra during peak times.

Like I said previously, I was suggesting it as a one time thing to see if the bus was what was causing this 'lack of enjoyment'. If it was the bus causing it then I would've suggested getting a moped/motorcycle/car license.

Generally speaking, taxis are a horrible way to spend your money. 

1 minute ago, 1kv said:

Like I said previously, I was suggesting it as a one time thing to see if the bus was what was causing this 'lack of enjoyment'. If it was the bus causing it then I would've suggested getting a moped/motorcycle/car license.

Generally speaking, taxis are a horrible way to spend your money. 

Agreed on that. Taxi's are great if you just need to get picked up from the Airport or get a ride home from the club. As a daily commute, it's insane to take the taxi.

Moped/motorcycle, etc, are certainly options. But that would largely depend on climate and region. While you can technically ride them year round, you'd be stupid to do so in the Winter here.

A car is really the only other practical alternative for year round commuting, if walking and/or bus cannot handle it.

Anyway, I digress. If taking the bus is what's the problem, that's a psychological issue. There's nothing wrong with the bus, and if taking it saves you a ton of money, it's usually worth the inconvenience.

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

2 minutes ago, 1kv said:

Yeah, in all honesty, I don't like the waiting aspect of busses.

I get out the house and have to wait around 5-7 minutes for the bus to come, and when it finally does, the stops the bus needs to take gets tedious.

Compare that to my dad taking me to work, I just get in the car and it's off to work I go, no fiddling around with waiting for a bus to arrive.

1 minute ago, seoz said:

Yeah, in all honesty, I don't like the waiting aspect of busses.

I get out the house and have to wait around 5-7 minutes for the bus to come, and when it finally does, the stops the bus needs to take gets tedious.

Compare that to my dad taking me to work, I just get in the car and it's off to work I go, no fiddling around with waiting for a bus to arrive.

How old are you? And do you already hold a license? If the salary for your job is that good (you mentioned previously it was good), you should consider just buying a cheap used (but not too old) car.

Just now, dalekphalm said:

Anyway, I digress. If taking the bus is what's the problem, that's a psychological issue. There's nothing wrong with the bus, and if taking it saves you a ton of money, it's usually worth the inconvenience.

I have a monthly bus pass which costs me £56, it's unlimited uses for that whole month. It's cheaper than paying the single fare and much more convenient to take out a card and swipe as oppose to fiddling around with change for a single fare.

Is there anything you'd suggest to perhaps remedy my bus phychology issue?

Just now, dalekphalm said:

How old are you? And do you already hold a license? If the salary for your job is that good (you mentioned previously it was good), you should consider just buying a cheap used (but not too old) car.

I'm 18, and I own a learner's permit, no full license.

Drink hella sugary coffee, buy a sound system, turn the bass all the way up, and blast music, watch a funny video while laying in bed (I normally watch fitz, swaggersouls, narcoleptic nugget, etc) and then if you still are not pumped, scream as loud as you can with your face in a pillow (or not, depends on how much you like your neighbors)

✧・゚: *✧・゚:*  Quote for a reply  *:・゚✧*:・゚✧

✧・゚: *✧・゚:*   Ask for discord   *:・゚✧*:・゚✧

7 minutes ago, seoz said:

It may actually be partly due to not enjoying my job to be honest, it's a fucking difficult job for me as an 18 year old but the caliber of the company and the salary is enough for me to stay there at least until I complete my apprenticeship.

I could try getting as soon as I wake up, I've not tried that before since I'm usually one for lounging around before I begin my day.

Might be worth sticking in there then? I dno, personally I don't see the point in sticking with something if you're really not enjoying it. It is an apprenticeship though, so usually it's best to at least finish those off.

Try it. Lazing in bed isn't helping anything and just makes getting out of bed that much more difficult.
Do you eat in the morning?

2 minutes ago, 1kv said:

You're right. I was suggesting it as a one time thing to see if it made a difference in how much @seoz would want to go to work, not as a permanent solution.

You're right. I don't expect them to turn up immediately, but 7 hours.. come on. 7 hours is just ridiculous. 

Anyway, I don't think this is exactly the right thread for discussing all of this. Probably best if we keep it on topic.

It's not, actually. That's a pretty standard response time for something that, really, is not an immediate emergency. Even at the store I work at, if we call in a shoplifter that we've apprehended, the LPO can be waiting for up to 5 or 6 hours; and that's with someone in custody. You are placed much lower on the priority list.

Really, you should be heading down to the police station to file the report yourself, not waiting for them to come to you.

1 minute ago, dalekphalm said:

Now consider how much you make. Even if you made pretty good money, you're still dedicating at least 1-2 hours every day of your workday to just paying to get there.

Truth. In the winter when I Uber to work and back, the $40/day isn't pleasant. Beats frostbite, though :P

I'd suggest seeing if walking is an option, too. Sometimes the routes buses take are unnecessarily long.

Though, since she's a young woman...that might not be the best option either.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

2 minutes ago, dizmo said:

Might be worth sticking in there then? I dno, personally I don't see the point in sticking with something if you're really not enjoying it. It is an apprenticeship though, so usually it's best to at least finish those off.

Try it. Lazing in bed isn't helping anything and just makes getting out of bed that much more difficult.
Do you eat in the morning?

I'm here for at least Q2 2020 so I have to find at least some short-term solution to have some happiness on work days.

I don't eat in the morning, my anxiety deflates any appetite I have particularly when I feel down.

I'm in a situation that's both similar and different. I love my job but have a hard getting off my bed every morning and tried different approaches. What makes things even worse is that I work from home. Unlike what most people think, it's even harder to motivate yourself when working from home since you don't have to leave the house so you stay in that mood for a longer period of time and it's hard to get started.

I'm still struggling with it, but I've come up with something last week: waking up an hour earlier and play Apex: Legends. It might sound weird, but for me it's much easier to think "I'll wake up to play a game" than "I'll wake up and get ready to work." I limit my sessions to about 30 minutes (2 games) and shouldn't really feel the urge to prolong them since I know that I'll be playing every morning. The good thing is that games like these require a lot of focus and it's good to get that level of alertness early in the morning.

2 minutes ago, IAmAndre said:

I've come up with something last week: waking up an hour earlier and play Apex: Legends. It might sound weird, but for me it's much easier to think "I'll wake up to play a game" than "I'll wake up and get ready to work." I limit my sessions to about 30 minutes (2 games) and shouldn't really feel the urge to prolong them since I know that I'll be playing every morning.

I actually have tried playing a game of CSGO or Overwatch in the morning, but I always end up glancing at the clock which depresses me knowing that once the game is over, I'll have to head to work, so that didn't work for me, and actually did me worse.

Also knowing that these games could last way more than I expected makes me fearful that I'll leave the house late.

Just now, seoz said:

I actually have tried playing a game of CSGO or Overwatch in the morning, but I always end up glancing at the clock which depresses me knowing that once the game is over, I'll have to head to work, so that didn't work for me, and actually did me worse.

Also knowing that these games could last way more than I expected makes me fearful that I'll leave the house late.

Yes I wouldn't recommend it if you have to leave the house at a specific time.

I hate waking up early in the morning because it does remind me my high school bus waiting time where you have to wake up like 5AM in the morning feel like you are on drugs then walking down the street like you are in The Walking Dead tv show. 

Fall asleep early, then set your alarm to a radio station, be it music or news, that way it's a different sound every morning and you don't start to hate it.

Edit: Also, cycle to work / a farther bus stop.  Biking is fun.

Resident Mozilla Shill.   Typed on my Ortholinear JJ40 custom keyboard
               __     I am the ASCIIDino.
              / _)
     _.----._/ /      If you can see me you 
    /         /       must put me in your 
 __/ (  | (  |        signature for 24 hours.
/__.-'|_|--|_|        

Bourbon

I'm a total night owl so waking up early is always hell for me, no matter the reason. Back before I was working freelance, I would basically just wake up, brush my teeth, dress, and go to work. I'd have breakfast and drink coffee and whatnot there.

Now that I'm freelance it's a lot easier because I get to sleep in and I work less time for more money. Not wasting any time on commuting either. Some days when I have nothing planned, I won't start working until the evening, or I'll even work during the night. 

Also, I don't understand why westerners seem to fear buses. We ride buses all the time here in eastern Europe. Bus rides are a fantastic opportunity to read books, watch episodes of TV series on your phone, and listen to podcasts. Only times it sucks is when you have to wait for a bus in winter. 

Ryzen 1600x @4GHz

Asus GTX 1070 8GB @1900MHz

16 GB HyperX DDR4 @3000MHz

Asus Prime X370 Pro

Samsung 860 EVO 500GB

Noctua NH-U14S

Seasonic M12II 620W

+ four different mechanical drives.

wake up

get bitten and scratched by my cat

read all the stuff that happaned on discord and my notifications here while i was sleeping

feed my cat after laying in bed for 20min

put on yt while drinking a cup of tea

listen to music while taking the bus to school

its not great because none of the steps are especially fun but whatever it works and im too lazy to change what gets me to school on time

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

@dizmo ahh. You’re lucky enough to be able to walk. 

I used to get up early a few different ways...

My most successful way however, was when I was really into photography. Something about sunrise photos just gets me going. So I woke up before sunrise, got dressed took out my equipment and attempted to make photos of sunrises.

Got some brilliant photos and it gave me something to do.

Only thing I've gotten so far is Coffee and a good breakfast, it doesn't make it enjoyable but at least less depressing.

† 

In Flanders fields the poppies blow
Between the crosses, row on row,
    That mark our place; and in the sky
    The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the Dead. Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
    Loved and were loved, and now we lie,
        In Flanders fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe:
To you from failing hands we throw
    The torch; be yours to hold it high.
    If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
        In Flanders fields.

Cry havoc and let slip the Togs of war.  (Signature V3)

If you want me to reply, tag me @Tog Driver, Or quote me.

The grace of the Lord Jesus Christ, and the love of God, and the communion of the Holy Spirit be with you all.
‭‭II Corinthians‬ ‭13:14

On February 9, 2019 at 10:14 AM, jones177 said:

money money money

Must be funny. . .

† 

In Flanders fields the poppies blow
Between the crosses, row on row,
    That mark our place; and in the sky
    The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the Dead. Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
    Loved and were loved, and now we lie,
        In Flanders fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe:
To you from failing hands we throw
    The torch; be yours to hold it high.
    If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
        In Flanders fields.

Cry havoc and let slip the Togs of war.  (Signature V3)

If you want me to reply, tag me @Tog Driver, Or quote me.

The grace of the Lord Jesus Christ, and the love of God, and the communion of the Holy Spirit be with you all.
‭‭II Corinthians‬ ‭13:14

8 hours ago, fpo said:

@dizmo ahh. You’re lucky enough to be able to walk. 

Most people consider it way too far, but an hour walk one way really isn't that bad.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red