New iPod Touch might be in the works for 2019

captain_to_fire

iPod Touch  

148 members have voted

1. 1. Have you personally owned an iPod Touch before?

• Yes
    • No

2 hours ago, TempestCatto said:

Yap. You can have access to the App Store, iTunes, and whatever else iPhones can get. Only thing you can't do is make calls and texts. Yet, there are wifi only apps that basically mimic calling and texting. So it really is just an iPhone without cellular network access. But they're still expensive.

Even the text part is only limited to SMS and calls to cellular. iPod touch supports FaceTime Audio and iMessage. Which in my family at least covers the important contacts for my kids. 

I want them to do large capacity players again.

I like to have one in my car for having my collection whilst driving. I don't like to use my phone space/battery, i save that for phoney things XD

Maybe im just an old fuddy duddy... but i really struggled to replace my old ipod when i broke it. it was a case of low capacity, high price, ipod touch, that did way more than i ever needed it to or a very high capacity ipod classic, there was no middle ground for a good price... but i don't regret replacing it with a new classic :)

They should just make a new iPod Nano based on the 6th gen one.

That's one of the very few Apple products I deem worth buying

On a mote of dust, suspended in a sunbeam

1 hour ago, SADS said:

I want them to do large capacity players again.

Dat clickwheel when scrolling through songs 

Image result for ipod classic

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

All I can say about the headphone jack issue is that Apple could've substituted an extra Lightning port in place of it. That way, the number of usable ports does not decrease.

My issue is that Apple reduced the number of usable ports on their devices.

Your resident osu! player, destroyer of keyboards.

I was planning on getting an iPhone XR this year, but now I might reconsider by getting an iPod touch instead.

I still remember the time I used to use my 2nd gen iPod touch.  I was promised a phone when I graduate elementary, but they gave me a crap one with resistive touch, slider and ran Symbian (this was back in 2009/2010).  Wasn't that bad since my iPod touch was good enough for me.  Took me a while to upgrade it and got a 5th gen the year it came out.  My Symbian phone broke by then and I was using a flip phone (parents got stuck in a contract and refused to upgrade). I finally got a proper smartphone (Galaxy S4) in late 2013.  Still didn't stop using my iPod touch 5, though.

Desktop

Y4M1-II: AMD Ryzen 9-5900X | Asrock RX 6900XT Phantom Gaming D | Gigabyte RTX 4060 low profile | 64GB G.Skill Ripjaws V | 2TB Samsung 980 Pro + 4TB 870 EVO + 4TB SanDisk Ultra 3D + 8TB WD Black + 4TB WD Black HDD | Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL-X | Antec ST1000 1000W 80+ Titanium | MSI Optix MAG342CQR | BenQ EW3270U | Kubuntu

-------------------------------

Mobile devices

Kuroneko: Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Yoga 4th (Intel i7-10510U | 16GB RAM | 1TB SSD)

With the quality of audio and space available on phones these days there is really little to no need for a new Ipod. I mean I have 64gb of internal storage and another 256( can upgrade to 512)gb of storage on a MicroSd card. This means I keep a decent amount of music/audiobooks on my phone and if needed could stream anything I own from the cloud.

I have a good set of Bluetooth earbuds and also a few really nice pairs of analogs if I need that extra bit of quality. 

So that brings me to this question. What target audience is this for? Someone too young for a phone? I mean for most people it is cheaper to just buy an sdcard(if your phone supports it) and use your phone for this function. Even if you can't get an SD card to expand the storage most phones now are 32+ gb of internal storage which is more than enough for a decent sized library of music. I just don't see someone with a decent phone wanting to carry around yet another device for something they already have access to.

Just now, AngryBeaver said:

With the quality of audio and space available on phones these days there is really little to no need for a new Ipod. I mean I have 64gb of internal storage and another 256( can upgrade to 512)gb of storage on a MicroSd card. This means I keep a decent amount of music/audiobooks on my phone and if needed could stream anything I own from the cloud.

I have a good set of Bluetooth earbuds and also a few really nice pairs of analogs if I need that extra bit of quality. 

So that brings me to this question. What target audience is this for? Someone too young for a phone? I mean for most people it is cheaper to just buy an sdcard(if your phone supports it) and use your phone for this function. Even if you can't get an SD card to expand the storage most phones now are 32+ gb of internal storage which is more than enough for a decent sized library of music. I just don't see someone with a decent phone wanting to carry around yet another device for something they already have access to.

Maybe for the ones who want to develop for iOS, but aren't willing to invest in an iPhone. 

Desktop

Y4M1-II: AMD Ryzen 9-5900X | Asrock RX 6900XT Phantom Gaming D | Gigabyte RTX 4060 low profile | 64GB G.Skill Ripjaws V | 2TB Samsung 980 Pro + 4TB 870 EVO + 4TB SanDisk Ultra 3D + 8TB WD Black + 4TB WD Black HDD | Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL-X | Antec ST1000 1000W 80+ Titanium | MSI Optix MAG342CQR | BenQ EW3270U | Kubuntu

-------------------------------

Mobile devices

Kuroneko: Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Yoga 4th (Intel i7-10510U | 16GB RAM | 1TB SSD)

Nice to see them finally giving some attention to the iPod line, which has been mostly dead (and likely will still be even with a new model) but hey, I'll take a refreshed model over the current one any day. Who cares if people are just getting phones nowadays ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ

MacBook Pro 13" (2018) | ThinkPad x230 | iPad Air 2     

~(˘▾˘~)   (~˘▾˘)~

3 hours ago, FPSwithaWacomTablet said:

All I can say about the headphone jack issue is that Apple could've substituted an extra Lightning port in place of it. That way, the number of usable ports does not decrease.

My issue is that Apple reduced the number of usable ports on their devices.

Yeah, Marques Brownlee has pointed this out as well, I think Apple's plan is to make a completely port-less device. Using Bluetooth for earphones and wireless charging for charging. It's an ambitious idea, I'll give them that but in terms of function and practicality, it leaves a lot to be desired. It's definitely the future, just too soon at the moment.

I'd buy it:

> not a huge investment on a device who's OS I can't stand ever since I switched

> Won't be my main pocket device, so just like every handheld console I own them time spent on it will be so small that the flaws won't stand out as much

> If the price is right, don't have to risk my phone when going to the gym or out for a run

> since it's not the main driver, the ecosystem nonsense will barely be noticed  

even at 4" it'd be a buy ihmo

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

10 hours ago, captain_to_fire said:

Dat clickwheel when scrolling through songs 

Image result for ipod classic

Having this in the car is a dream. Especially if the car is smart is enough to pick up the connection to integrate into the cars MMI as well as keep it charged.

8 hours ago, AngryBeaver said:

The ipod touch NEVER made sense since it just was an iphone without the phone part, with the same bulk and no expandability 

The ipod nano 6th gen, on the other hand, still has NO answers from other companies despite the fact its concept is almost perfect. That's an 8 years old product.

12 minutes ago, Agost said:

The ipod touch NEVER made sense since it just was an iphone without the phone part, with the same bulk and no expandability 

The ipod nano 6th gen, on the other hand, still has NO answers from other companies despite the fact its concept is almost perfect. That's an 8 years old product.

The iPod touch made perfect sense when it came out. Not everyone needed or wanted a phone (which was more expensive and with less capacity), to have to pay for phone service, or have to switch to ATT. This w all especially true for a kid.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

6 minutes ago, Agost said:

he ipod touch NEVER made sense since it just was an iphone without the phone part,

How about when it was released when iphone wasnt even a thing yet? 

9 minutes ago, mynameisjuan said:

Technically the iPhone came out a couple months before the touch. The touch was just much cheaper, had more storage (up to 32gb compared to 16gb), and didn't require paying for and then throwing away phone functionality or switching to ATT and paying for data.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

10 minutes ago, 79wjd said:

The iPod touch made perfect sense when it came out. Not everyone needed or wanted a phone or to have to pay for phone service -- especially for a kid.

A 300-400 dollars music player for kids doesn't really makes sense. 

6 minutes ago, mynameisjuan said:

The first gen iPod touch was released after the first iPhone, it's always been sort of a "cutdown" version of the corresponding iphone

2 minutes ago, 79wjd said:

Technically the iPhone came out a couple months before the touch. The touch was just much cheaper, had more storage (up to 32gb compared to 16gb), and didn't require paying for and then throwing away phone functionality or switching to ATT and paying for data.

I just looked it up and I always thought touch was released then phone. Hmmm...cant believe it was over 10 years ago also.

7 minutes ago, Agost said:

It was more than just a music player. It also played tv shows, movies, and had internet access. And within a year it also had games and a whole bunch of other apps. Plus it also had an excellent interface which was great for kids.

It was a great device for kids, and still is in theory except for the fact that many parents likely have an old phone they could just pass down.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

3 hours ago, Agost said:

I think you mean $200-300 

3BCE768A-8201-4E00-8511-618864374283.jpeg

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

25 minutes ago, captain_to_fire said:

I think you mean $200-300 

The whole argument revolved around the time the iPod lineup was still a thing, so up until about 2012.

$200-300 dollars for an ipod touch right now? What's the point of buying a phone sized music player that costs the same or more than lots of good modern phones?

On 1/16/2019 at 8:59 AM, mxk. said:

Hopefully. My ipod touch nano, I think 7th gen, is a champion. It's 6 years old and is amazing.

Yeah, I have a 6th gen and it's pretty great. Battery life could be better, but for it's size it's hard to beat.

...doesn't handle the cold too well though.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

1 hour ago, dizmo said:

Yeah, I have a 6th gen and it's pretty great. Battery life could be better, but for it's size it's hard to beat.

...doesn't handle the cold too well though.

What does yours do in the cold? The only thing I messed up about mine is I left it plugged in for wayyy to long and now the battery status isn't accurate.

aorus pro z390

noctua nh-d15s chromax w black cover

evga 3070 ultra

samsung 128gb, adata swordfish 1tb, wd blue 1tb

seasonic 620w dogballs psu

Just now, mxk. said:

What does yours do in the cold? The only thing I messed up about mine is I left it plugged in for wayyy to long and now the battery status isn't accurate.

Murders the battery life. I get maybe an hour or so before it's dead.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Just now, dizmo said:

Murders the battery life. I get maybe an hour or so before it's dead.

Interesting, maybe that was an issue with 6th gen they had to address when they made 7th? I wish they still made ipods, but it's not really relevant since music is mostly streaming based.

aorus pro z390

noctua nh-d15s chromax w black cover

evga 3070 ultra

samsung 128gb, adata swordfish 1tb, wd blue 1tb

seasonic 620w dogballs psu