New iPod Touch might be in the works for 2019

captain_to_fire

iPod Touch  

148 members have voted

1. 1. Have you personally owned an iPod Touch before?

• Yes
    • No

15 minutes ago, handymanshandle said:

thought this thread was about the ipod touch not fighting off an apple fanboy

ow... i wasn't allowed to?

6 hours ago, firelighter487 said:

why do peole still complain about the headphone jack? i have a nice pair of bluetooth headphones and an iPhone 7. i never miss the headphone jack...

Name any set of wireless headphones that could come even close to matching my AKG K702 headphones.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Just now, Dabombinable said:

Name any set of wireless headphones that could come even close to matching my AKG K702 headphones.

agreed for audiophiles it's annoying. but for people with average hearing like me wireless headphones sound fine. 

She/Her

3 minutes ago, firelighter487 said:

agreed for audiophiles it's annoying. but for people with average hearing like me wireless headphones sound fine. 

Hint. Even my aunt's BT headphones, which cost (and are worth far more) than mine sound like shit compared to them. And that's comparing on an iPad pro (with audio dongle) and iPhone XR.

BTW, my headphones were only $80 second hand.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Back when I was in middle school, you weren't sh*t unless you had an iPod Touch. My first electronic device was the white iPod Touch 4th gen

HT1353-ipod_touch_4th-white-001-en.png.7e94624141e46110a6c37fab4274d028.png

I loved that thing to death and imo its one of the best products Apple has ever made. It still works and my Dad uses it for podcasts now. Though less now that he has a new phone.

I got the 5th Gen iPod Touch when that came out and then got a 5c after that. Then got a 6s Plus after 2 years and I still have that. I would love to see a new iPod Touch just to keep that legacy going. Also it would make sense to keep the headphone jack on it seeing as this is a budget device with no bells and whistles. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

3 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

Back when I was in middle school, you weren't sh*t unless you had an iPod Touch. My first electronic device was the white iPod Touch 4th gen

I loved that thing to death. It still works and my Dad uses it for podcasts now. Though less now that he has a new phone. I got the 5th Gen iPod Touch when that came out and then got a 5c after that. Then got a 6s Plus after 2 years and I still have that. 

in my middle school you weren't shit unless you had a phone AND a SIM card. Your dad' says old iPhone 6 wasn't worth shit unless you had a SIM. 

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

1 minute ago, themctipers said:

in my middle school you weren't shit unless you had a phone AND a SIM card. Your dad' says old iPhone 6 wasn't worth shit unless you had a SIM. 

Kids didn't get phones back in 2011 xD 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

Just now, DrMacintosh said:

Kids didn't get phones back in 2011 xD 

:P 2015/2016ish was when I was in middle. 

Now (in HS) you ain't shit unless you have Xs MAX 256GB

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

8 hours ago, captain_to_fire said:

Why? Frankly a USB C iPhone is more likely to happen considering that the 2018 iPad Pro made the transition to USB C. An iPod Touch refresh, I mean it's an iPhone without a phone but nowadays you can get a cheapo refurb iPhone or iPad? Just as how much people are still buying those for themselves? I remember back when I was in college, I see people with Blackberry phones for their main way of communicating and an iPod Touch for entertainment. Now, it's either an Android phone or an iPhone.

While it was a surprise for Apple to release the new iPad Pro with USB-C, i don't think that's their philsophy moving forward. There reason was that the iPad Pro was supposed be more of a computer, and USB-C was much more versatile for data transfer etc. than the lightning port. I'm not sure they could justify the same reason for a new iPhone.

1 hour ago, DrMacintosh said:

I loved that thing to death and imo its one of the best products Apple has ever made. It still works and my Dad uses it for podcasts now. Though less now that he has a new phone.

I got the 5th Gen iPod Touch when that came out and then got a 5c after that. Then got a 6s Plus after 2 years and I still have that. I would love to see a new iPod Touch just to keep that legacy going. Also it would make sense to keep the headphone jack on it seeing as this is a budget device with no bells and whistles. 

I had the same model, black. It was gift when I was younger and needed surgery. Mine is unusable now but it was good while it lasted, but I would like Apple to make another iPod Touch that I just used for the TV app and Spotify, that way I could save battery on my iPhone, which still takes higher priority.

5 hours ago, TempestCatto said:

What truck do you have?

2017 Chevy Colorado z71

College student getting his Information Systems Degree, Furry, Gamer, Amateur Poet

Luna

Intel Core i9 7940x, Custom Water Loop, EVGA x299 Micro, 4x8 GB kit of Gskill Trident Z RGB DDR4-3000, Gigabyte Aorus Xtreme 1080ti, 3 Tb's of SSD storage, 5TB HDD, 850 Watt EVGA Supernova g3, all inside a black and purple r1 from Parvum Systems

Laptops:

Anubis: Powerspec 1510 (sager NP8157)

Lucario: Razer Blade Stealth v4 (base model) this is my daily driver

17 minutes ago, Shodapop98 said:

2017 Chevy Colorado z71

ahh okay. I've a '96 GMC K2500 HD. Retired fire cheif's truck. AM/FM radio and A/C were options, thankfully the township bought them when they bought the truck. lol

3 hours ago, ZacoAttaco said:

had the same model, black. It was gift when I was younger and needed surgery. Mine is unusable now but it was good while it lasted, but I would like Apple to make another iPod Touch that I just used for the TV app and Spotify, that way I could save battery on my iPhone, which still takes higher priority.

If Apple is indeed refreshing the iPod Touch, compromises are expected to keep the $200 price tag. I hope they upgrade the following. 

• Add Touch ID (but it’s probably 1st gen Touch ID and not gen 2 like the one in the iPhone 7/8 which doesn’t press but uses 3D Touch powered by the Taptic Engine)
  • Bump up the screen size like the one on the iPhone 6/6s/7/8 with 4.7”. 
  • Maybe use an A10 Fusion chip (2 big: 2 LITTLE cores)
  • IP67 water & dust resistance 

Obviously they’re going to nerf the following: 

• Camera will not be the same as the one on the iPhone X
  • No Face ID which is fine imo
  • Speaker will still be mono unlike the iPhone X which is stereo
  • Base storage will remain at 32GB 
  • it'll remain as a wifi only device  

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

23 minutes ago, captain_to_fire said:

Add Touch ID (but it’s probably 1st gen Touch ID and not gen 2 like the one in the iPhone 7/8 which doesn’t press but uses 3D Touch poweres by the Taptic Engine

2nd Gen Touch ID was actually introduced with the physically clicking iPhone 6s/Plus. Apple will probably not introduce biometrics of any kind because it is rather expensive. I think it’s just going to have a passcode and a physical home button. 

Its unlikely to have anything better than the iPhone 6s camera and it definitely won’t have 3D Touch. 

This... is too many pages.

29 minutes ago, King Poet said:

-snip-

Blame it to people who derailed it and made it into a BT headphones vs wired headphones pissing match. 

1 hour ago, captain_to_fire said:

If Apple is indeed refreshing the iPod Touch, compromises are expected to keep the $200 price tag. I hope they upgrade the following

• Add Touch ID (but it’s probably 1st gen Touch ID and not gen 2 like the one in the iPhone 7/8 which doesn’t press but uses 3D Touch powered by the Taptic Engine) 
  • Bump up the screen size like the one on the iPhone 6/6s/7/8 with 4.7”.  
  • Maybe use an A10 Fusion chip (2 big: 2 LITTLE cores) 
  • IP67 water & dust resistance 

Obviously they’re going to nerf the following: 

• Camera will not be the same as the one on the iPhone X
  • No Face ID which is fine imo
  • Speaker will still be mono unlike the iPhone X which is stereo
  • Base storage will remain at 32GB 
  • it'll remain as a wifi only device  

That sounds good, my only concern is that it would be overpriced compared to an older iPhone of the same specs.  But then you get into issues with some iPhones not wanting to work without a SIM-card in. Some iOS update implemented this, @DrMacintosh can probably clarify this.

12 hours ago, firelighter487 said:

why do peole still complain about the headphone jack? i have a nice pair of bluetooth headphones and an iPhone 7. i never miss the headphone jack... 

LOL

Why not?

Its what people do. I need a set of wireless ear buds, but I gotta check to see if my devices use bluetooth first. I find when I am spinning wrenches sometimes the wire gets tangled in something. Its very annoying.

5 minutes ago, ZacoAttaco said:

That sounds good, my only concern is that it would be overpriced compared to an older iPhone of the same specs.  But then you get into issues with some iPhones not wanting to work without a SIM-card in. Some iOS update implemented this, @DrMacintosh can probably clarify this.

Instead of an aluminum housing, they can probably bring back the polycarbonate back like the one in the iPhone 5c. Hopefully they'll use matte polycarbonate like the one in the HTC One X which I think is just better than the flimsy, cheap looking Samsung Galaxy S3.

Image result for htc one xImage result for samsung galaxy s3

12 hours ago, captain_to_fire said:

Source: https://9to5mac.com/2019/01/14/ipod-touch-usb-c-iphone-report/

ipod-touch-lineup.jpg?quality=82&strip=all&w=1600

Why? Frankly a USB C iPhone is more likely to happen considering that the 2018 iPad Pro made the transition to USB C. An iPod Touch refresh, I mean it's an iPhone without a phone but nowadays you can get a cheapo refurb iPhone or iPad? Just as how much people are still buying those for themselves? I remember back when I was in college, I see people with Blackberry phones for their main way of communicating and an iPod Touch for entertainment. Now, it's either an Android phone or an iPhone. 

But I can see the iPod Touch (32 GB, $200) being used as a kid device and it's cheaper than the base model iPad at $330. If Apple is bringing it back, I hope they add IP67 water & dust resistance and make it cheaper at around $150. 

To parents in the forum who thinks of buying an iPod Touch to their kids, don't forget enabling parental controls which is now improved in iOS 12. https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201304

When my oldest was 6 I gave her an iPhone 5C my family had just lying around. My fiancé’s family gave me so much shit about it. Particularly her grandma. Until I told her all the controls I and limitations that had been placed on the device. She shut up after that. My middle child is 6 now and I’ve considered getting him an iPod touch. Since it would let him use FaceTime to contact me long as he has WiFi

I don't think you have truly understood apple and the purpose of the iPod touch until you have saved up your money for a year to get one. I think this is a good idea if it is priced way cheaper and as more of a media consumption or game device. A good alternative to the literal 700-1000 dollar iphones. Definitely should be targeted at younger people (even though you honestly shouldn't have a phone like device to yourself until you are at least 13).

The only reason I'm here is that I have homework that I don't want to do

PC  Specs   CPU: Intel Celeron N3060 |GPU: Intel HD graphics 400 |RAM2 gigs  |STORAGE16 gigs

It took me half an hour to find where to change my signature :(

200 to just let a kid listen to music? What if you have more than one kid? Also what's wrong with a $12 mp3 player from walmart...

Insanity is not the absence of sanity, but the willingness to ignore it for a purpose. Chaos is the result of this choice. I relish in both.

3 hours ago, Jtalk4456 said:

what's wrong with a $12 mp3 player from walmart...

you can't pwn n00bs in Forknife on one of those.

37 minutes ago, TempestCatto said:

you can't pwn n00bs in Forknife on one of those.

can you with the new ipods? I was under the impression this was a music player. If it also has app store access, then it's just an iphone

Insanity is not the absence of sanity, but the willingness to ignore it for a purpose. Chaos is the result of this choice. I relish in both.

11 minutes ago, Jtalk4456 said:

can you with the new ipods? I was under the impression this was a music player. If it also has app store access, then it's just an iphone

The iPod Touch was always just an iPhone without the phone. Which is/was great if you didn't want to give your kid an expensive phone.

I personally loved my iPod Touch, cause I could use it to play games and listen to music without draining my phone's battery. Might even get the new one if the rumors are true (I have more developer-type reasons to get it as well).

CPU - Ryzen 7 3700X | RAM - 64 GB DDR4 3200MHz | GPU - Nvidia GTX 1660 ti | MOBO -  MSI B550 Gaming Plus

26 minutes ago, Jtalk4456 said:

Yap. You can have access to the App Store, iTunes, and whatever else iPhones can get. Only thing you can't do is make calls and texts. Yet, there are wifi only apps that basically mimic calling and texting. So it really is just an iPhone without cellular network access. But they're still expensive.