New SKUs for Intel, defeating the purpose of higher tier CPUs?

Just read this article:

https://www.guru3d.com/news-story/msi-announces-support-for-core-i9-9900kfi7-9700kfi5-9600kfi5-9400kfi5-9400and-i3-9350kf.html

And I noticed something

which can support Intel Core i9-9900KF, i7-9700KF, i5-9600KF, i5-9400KF, and i3-9350KF

There are 2 overclockable i5 models listed. Doesn't that defeat the purpose of the more expensive one if the cheaper one overclocks? I doubt the binning difference for the SKUs would create any kind of appreciable difference in performance, and I think I'm seeing an i7 2600k vs i7 2700k here, because who bought a 2700k when the 2600k was basically the same?

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

I actually forgot the 2700K existed until I read this post....

I would imagine the two Core i5s being equal in performance clock for clock. I don't see them both reaching 5Ghz though, otherwise that would kind of be a bad move on Intel's part and nobody will buy the 9600KF.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

1 minute ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

otherwise that would kind of be a bad move on Intel's part and nobody will buy the 9600KF.

That's more along the lines of what I imagine happening.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

Just now, fasauceome said:

That's more along the lines of what I imagine happening.

What I'm saying is that if Intel bins the 9400KF properly so that it can't reach 5Ghz, and then markets the 9600KF as a 5Ghz chip, then it negates the problem a little bit.

If Intel did however allow both chips to reach 5Ghz, then the 9600KF would likely still be better anyway, since they most likely wouldn't match performance clock for clock, similar to the Ryzen 5 1600 and 2600.

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

9400KF? What the hell? I saw the 9400F but why would they sell a different unlocked CPU? That makes no sense. Are they trying to get rid of the worse binned CPUs?

aorus pro z390

noctua nh-d15s chromax w black cover

evga 3070 ultra

samsung 128gb, adata swordfish 1tb, wd blue 1tb

seasonic 620w dogballs psu

18 minutes ago, fasauceome said:

because who bought a 2700k when the 2600k was basically the same?

Who buys the RTX TITAN when the 2080 Ti is basically the same?

Bragging rights my friend.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

10 minutes ago, Princess Cadence said:

Who buys the RTX TITAN when the 2080 Ti is basically the same?

Titan RTX has more cores than 2080 Ti though, so can't really call them the same.

On the OP question, I suspect either guru3D or MSI made a typo. Do we have proof a 9400KF exists? I don't see it on ARK.

9400 https://ark.intel.com/products/134898/Intel-Core-i5-9400-Processor-9M-Cache-up-to-4-10-GHz-

9400F https://ark.intel.com/products/190883/Intel-Core-i5-9400F-Processor-9M-Cache-up-to-4-10-GHz-

9600K https://ark.intel.com/products/134896/Intel-Core-i5-9600K-Processor-9M-Cache-up-to-4-60-GHz-

9600KF https://ark.intel.com/products/190884/Intel-Core-i5-9600KF-Processor-9M-Cache-up-to-4-60-GHz-

Looks like Intel only F'd versions of existing CPUs.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

28 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

If Intel did however allow both chips to reach 5Ghz, then the 9600KF would likely still be better anyway, since they most likely wouldn't match performance clock for clock, similar to the Ryzen 5 1600 and 2600.

the 1600 and 2600 have different process sizes though, so of course the zen+ vs zen difference exists, but with these it would just be coffee lake vs coffee lake.

Primary PC:

Just now, fasauceome said:

the 1600 and 2600 have different process sizes though, so of course the zen+ vs zen difference exists, but with these it would just be coffee lake vs coffee lake.

Sure, but the 2600 is still better clock for clock. That was my point. I'm aware of the architecture difference between Zen 1 and Zen+.

Just now, Crunchy Dragon said:

Sure, but the 2600 is still better clock for clock. That was my point. I'm aware of the architecture difference between Zen 1 and Zen+.

Well that's what I mean, the difference clock for clock wouldn't exist within the 9th gen (unless for whatever reason they're on different process nodes)

Primary PC:

1 minute ago, fasauceome said:

Well that's what I mean, the difference clock for clock wouldn't exist within the 9th gen (unless for whatever reason they're on different process nodes)

There's also binning, the 9600KF would probably be a higher bin than the 9400KF, being a higher end chip.

1 minute ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

There's also binning, the 9600KF would probably be a higher bin than the 9400KF, being a higher end chip.

Do you think the stock differences would translate to the overclocks or scale? usually there's something like a .2GHz difference between these SKUs and so if these products were to have a .2 difference when overclocked some people would probably still see a more attractive value in the cheaper one.

Primary PC:

27 minutes ago, Mira Yurizaki said:

At first I was excited for the F SKU. But I'm pretty certain they're just processors without the F SKU with neutered display hardware.

Wasn't the aim of the F SKU to have cheaper processors because of the inactive iGPU?

Primary PC:

1 minute ago, fasauceome said:

Wasn't the aim of the F SKU to have cheaper processors because of the inactive iGPU?

Sure, but that doesn't necessarily mean by design it'll work better. i.e., I don't see these processors having any better potential than the non-F versions.

Just now, Mira Yurizaki said:

Sure, but that doesn't necessarily mean by design it'll work better. i.e., I don't see these processors having any better potential than the non-F versions.

People make mention of the iGPU no longer causing thermal output but I have my doubts that it makes much impact.

Primary PC:

3 minutes ago, fasauceome said:

People make mention of the iGPU no longer causing thermal output but I have my doubts that it makes much impact.

It wouldn't cause a significant amount of thermal output anyway if you're running your displays exclusively from the video card.

This is just the direction CPU evolution is going, as each new node/architecture/feature is added more options become available to more processors.  Essentially we will get to a stage where all CPU's are what we consider today to be higher end K variants because CPU improvements and workload optimization is reducing the gap between top end and entry level.

There was once a time when you needed an mid level or higher CPU in order to game, now you can do it easily on an i3/r3. Same with GPU's.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

16 hours ago, porina said:

On the OP question, I suspect either guru3D or MSI made a typo.

FWIW I'm with you on this one, no i5-9400KF.

f.png.630128efaf13f83d5b1d27d9ed54f11d.png

The differences in 9600KF and 9600K should be obvious, segmentation isn't always about clock speed but can be features or lack of them too.

AWOL