Anyone besides me into Hi-Fi?

mxk

I'm a semi-HiFi nerd besides being just another person on the forum who likes computers. I have an full out audio setup in my room and am also super in love with cassettes and have two walkmans. I guess that also puts me under being an audiophile since I care how everything sounds. Is anyone else into high fidelity stuff? I'm just curious

aorus pro z390

noctua nh-d15s chromax w black cover

evga 3070 ultra

samsung 128gb, adata swordfish 1tb, wd blue 1tb

seasonic 620w dogballs psu

6 minutes ago, mxk. said:

HiFi

I am not, but I'd be more into the older stuff like the tube era. And big wooden box speakers.

1 minute ago, Canada EH said:

I am not, but I'd be more into the older stuff like the tube era. And big wooden box speakers.

That stuff is too expensive for me, but I'm just a student. I'm pretty lucky to have family that has second hand stuff. Just curious, how come you haven't gotten into old stuff as a side hobby? 

aorus pro z390

evga 3070 ultra

I have studio monitors.

DSC00473.thumb.JPG.d922063bf21e0fdabefe8a2a750bcd04.JPG

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Just now, Enderman said:

I have studio monitors.

DSC00473.thumb.JPG.d922063bf21e0fdabefe8a2a750bcd04.JPG

holy frick that is pretty. That is one beefy subwoofer! While I'm on the topic of subwoofers, have you heard of this thing that simulates movie bass called the butt kicker? You rig it to your couch and it vibrates it slightly and it gives the feeling of bass.

aorus pro z390

evga 3070 ultra

5 minutes ago, mxk. said:

holy frick that is pretty. That is one beefy subwoofer! While I'm on the topic of subwoofers, have you heard of this thing that simulates movie bass called the butt kicker? You rig it to your couch and it vibrates it slightly and it gives the feeling of bass.

It's a crap home theatre subwoofer, im planning to build a proper studio grade sub soon.

Yeah I'm not into bass shakers because it needs to be attached to your chair and only vibrates you when you're sitting there, not your entire room and all the air around you.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

2 minutes ago, Enderman said:

It's a crap home theatre subwoofer, im planning to build a proper studio grade sub soon.

Yeah I'm not into bass shakers because it needs to be attached to your chair and only vibrates you when you're sitting there, not your entire room and all the air around you.

How the heck are you funding this diy stuff? PC's are expensive but HiFi is more expensive than computers.

aorus pro z390

evga 3070 ultra

5 minutes ago, mxk. said:

How the heck are you funding this diy stuff? PC's are expensive but HiFi is more expensive than computers.

Youtube money, part time work, and the fact that I'm not paying for my housing or tuition :)

The K8 monitors are only a few years old but I really want to upgrade to T7Vs which are amazing according to literally every review.

Also the sub I want to build will cost like 1/4 or 1/2 of what a retail sub would cost (but it will still be really expensive)

Spoiler

37 minutes ago, Enderman said:

I have studio monitors.

Damn, it looks so clean, made me think it was a render, LOL.

53 minutes ago, mxk. said:

I'm a semi-HiFi nerd besides being just another person on the forum who likes computers. I have an full out audio setup in my room and am also super in love with cassettes and have two walkmans. I guess that also puts me under being an audiophile since I care how everything sounds. Is anyone else into high fidelity stuff? I'm just curious

Idk maybe. I do like good quality audio and old stuff is pretty cool.  And just wondering, what’s ur gif profile pic ???

14 minutes ago, Hi P said:

Damn, it looks so clean, made me think it was a render, LOL.

Took a long time to get there ?

Spoiler

Kinda. I'm honestly more into quirky audio formats, but I do appreciate playing them back on quality equipment.

I just recently got my hands on a DBX decoder (for both tapes and vinyl), so I'm currently on the hunt for cheap DBX encoded records and tapes.

Nova doctrina terribilis sit perdere

Audio format guides: Vinyl records | Cassette tapes

4 hours ago, Volbet said:

Kinda. I'm honestly more into quirky audio formats, but I do appreciate playing them back on quality equipment.

I just recently got my hands on a DBX decoder (for both tapes and vinyl), so I'm currently on the hunt for cheap DBX encoded records and tapes.

dbx is an in interesting format. I remember seeing a lot of stuff about it a year back, and the people at DBX who made it did a really good job. I didn't realize they made cassettes with dbx

aorus pro z390

evga 3070 ultra

6 hours ago, osbro said:

Idk maybe. I do like good quality audio and old stuff is pretty cool.  And just wondering, what’s ur gif profile pic ???

from an animation on youtube called "McFeels". The character in my pic is Grimace, the purple guy from McDonalds

aorus pro z390

evga 3070 ultra

16 hours ago, mxk. said:

dbx is an in interesting format. I remember seeing a lot of stuff about it a year back, and the people at DBX who made it did a really good job. I didn't realize they made cassettes with dbx

They didn't really. DBX for cassettes was mainly meant for prosumer recorders (especially from Marantz), but a few pre-recorded tapes did release with DBX encoding.

Although, I suspect most of them are bootlegs.

Nova doctrina terribilis sit perdere

Audio format guides: Vinyl records | Cassette tapes

8 hours ago, mxk. said:

I don't know about Hi-Fi but i do enjoy Bit Perfect music. You using Foobar?

11 hours ago, Brewnasty said:

I don't know about Hi-Fi but i do enjoy Bit Perfect music. You using Foobar?

I have no clue what you're talking about but I'm gonna take a guess it has to do with audio quality

aorus pro z390

evga 3070 ultra

12 hours ago, Volbet said:

They didn't really. DBX for cassettes were mainly meant for prosumer recorders (especially from Marantz), but a few pre-recorded tapes did release with DBX encoding.

Although, I suspect most of them are bootlegs.

It would make sense for them to be bootleg since dbx was in business when cassettes weren't popular

aorus pro z390

evga 3070 ultra

Hop on the discord and join the #audio channel

There are quite a few of us audio nerds on there

20181126_152613.jpg

Video reviews: https://youtube.com/goldensound Written reviews and measurements: https://goldensound.audio
Current Main Setup: Roon -> HQPlayer -> Intel NUC -> Intona 7055-C Isolator -> Holo Audio May KTE DAC-> Holo Serene KTE preamp -> Benchmark AHB2 / Woo WA33
Most used headphones: Hifiman Susvara, Abyss 1266 Phi TC, Sennheiser HD800-S

54 minutes ago, GoldenOne said:

20181126_152613.jpg

yessir

aorus pro z390

evga 3070 ultra

12 hours ago, GoldenOne said:

20181126_152613.jpg

What equiment is that? Looks very nice. I like the style of it.

Personally I'm just starting to get into HiFi/audiofile stuff, but not too extreme. I've just finished setting up my 5.0 setup for a little home theater experience in the living room: 2 Dali Zensor 5 as fronts, Spektro Vokal as center and Spektor 1 as surrounds. Now saving up for a record player.

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 9370 | CPU: i5 10510U | RAM: 16 GB

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB

14 minutes ago, tikker said:

What equiment is that? Looks very nice. I like the style of it.

Personally I'm just starting to get into HiFi/audiofile stuff, but not too extreme. I've just finished setting up my 5.0 setup for a little home theater experience in the living room: 2 Dali Zensor 5 as fronts, Spektro Vokal as center and Spektor 1 as surrounds. Now saving up for a record player.

It's sennheiser HD800-S headphones and the hdvd 800 DAC+amplifier :)

Video reviews: https://youtube.com/goldensound Written reviews and measurements: https://goldensound.audio
Current Main Setup: Roon -> HQPlayer -> Intel NUC -> Intona 7055-C Isolator -> Holo Audio May KTE DAC-> Holo Serene KTE preamp -> Benchmark AHB2 / Woo WA33
Most used headphones: Hifiman Susvara, Abyss 1266 Phi TC, Sennheiser HD800-S

2 minutes ago, GoldenOne said:

It's sennheiser HD800-S headphones and the hdvd 800 DAC+amplifier :)

Damn, alright those are a bit out of my price range at the moment xD

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 9370 | CPU: i5 10510U | RAM: 16 GB

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB

20 hours ago, mxk. said:

I have no clue what you're talking about but I'm gonna take a guess it has to do with audio quality

It is, if you want real Hi-Fi Quality do not stream music. Look into Bitperfect online, if you care about quality this is what you need to do. FYI it does require purchasing music (legally) or Torrenting it but i didn't suggest that ;)

2 hours ago, Brewnasty said:

It is, if you want real Hi-Fi Quality do not stream music. Look into Bitperfect online, if you care about quality this is what you need to do. FYI it does require purchasing music (legally) or Torrenting it but i didn't suggest that ;)

";)" hehe

aorus pro z390

evga 3070 ultra