Will The Large Screen iPad Pro Be Apple's First In A Line Of Desktop Touch Devices?

PillowSmoke

ipad-pro-and-school-desk.jpg

This week’s report that Apple AAPL -0.68% may already be in production on a 12.9″ iPad, dubbed the “Pro,” has been the source of much speculation. In a well researched and reasoned post in ComputerWorld, Mike Elgan comes to the conclusion that it will be an “iPad optimized as a desktop touch computer for education,” specifically as reported in DigiTimes, for the U.S. education market. This, he claims, will solve two of Apple’s most pressing goals, “First: How can Apple make iOS the default platform for schools transitioning from paper textbooks and educational materials to electronic ones? Second: How can Apple gently transition the world from desktop PCs to the desktop post-PC world?”

The main rival here is not Microsoft MSFT -0.4% butGoogle GOOG +0.05%, whose Chromebooks and Chrome OS devices are similarly angling for the same prized perch. In many ways Chrome is better positioned than iOS because of its primary relationship to the open web. But Google’s track record with hardware has not been stellar, thoughChromebooks are starting to come into their ownand Amazon reported this week that “two out of its three best-selling laptops during the holiday season were Chromebooks.”

Rather than thinking of the iPad Pro (probably a misnomer) as a big tablet, Elgan suggests “it makes more sense to think of [it as]… next year’s first and smallest iOS desktop computer.” And I would look for a corresponding line of iPens as well. Apple hasquite a lineup of patents around this and it would be a very easy way for students to carry some measure of personalization around with them if the 4K tablets are actually bolted to the desks.

If this first larger iPad is designed for inroads into the U.S. education market in advance of larger “desktops” aimed at the consumer and business markets, the 4K thing starts to make more sense. 2K is probably quite sufficient for a 12.9″ tablet, but imagine the 20″ or 27″ touch screens that would replace Apple’s current all-in-one iMacs. 4K (or more) for these would make lots of sense, especially for professionals who need to work on high-resolution technical or creative imagery.

The truth is that if this is where things are going, towards touch desktops, likely on (or swiveling in) the surface of the desk instead of perpendicular to it, there is room for Google and Microsoft—and Samsung too. Assuming that people want to interact with computers in this way, this change of form factor could lead to the wholesale replacement of all the world’s PCs. What a nice forecast for the marginalized computer industry!

Microsoft has been working on very large touchscreen tabletops designed for collaboration and equally well suited to game play once the costs come down. It is clear that with a change of this magnitude there would be many winners, not just Apple. But it does seem that the popularity of the iPad could finally be paving the way for the redefinition of the desktop computer as a touch device.

source: http://www.forbes.com/sites/anthonykosner/2013/12/29/will-the-large-screen-ipad-pro-be-apples-first-in-a-line-of-desktop-touch-devices/

Wanna hang out with me and people like @Theslsamg, @ Ssoele, @BENTHEREN, @Lanoi, @Whiskers, @_ASSASSIN_, @Looney, @WunderWuffle, and @nsyedhasan. Well.... Check out: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/48484-unofficial-linustechtips-teamschnitzel-server-teamspeak/

I do not understand why they would do this, i think they should just keep the iPad sizes the same

Christian and Proud of it

Please read the CoC                                                                                                                                                                                                                              My Build Log 

Ide rather it run osx if i was going to buy one, or even dual boot osx and ios

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015

Ide rather it run osx if i was going to buy one, or even dual boot osx and ios

i dont think apple would ever let you dual boot osx and ios, defiantly not if it was stock 

Christian and Proud of it

Please read the CoC                                                                                                                                                                                                                              My Build Log 

Well they do need something to compete with the ever increasing number of tablets running full versions of windows.  I can see these being used primarily in schools as replacements for class room computer sets.  With schools going back to having a dedicated computer lab.  If apple get their foot in the door with education the way they did with the ipad they'll be on a winner.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Windows > Linux > OSX

Windows > OSX > Linux for sure

OS - Windows 8.1 Motherboard - ASUS M5A99FX Pro R2.0 Processor - AMD FX 8350 Black Edition RAM - 16GB 2x8 Crucial Ballistix Sport Graphics Card - Gigabyte Windforce 2 OC GTX 660 Power Supply - Corsair CX750M CPU Cooler - NZXT Kraken X60 Wireless Adapter - ASUS PCE-N15 PCI-E Adapter Fans - x3 Masscool blue LED 120mm Fans Case - Fractal Design Define R4

Monitor - Dell S2230MX 21.5-inch Keyboard - Logitech G105 Mouse - Logitech G602 Speakers - Logitech Z130 Headsets/Headphones - Tt eSports Shock, AKG K240, California Headphones Laredo Phone - iPhone 4S

This is what happens when you have no more ideas left to steal from.

Mobo: Z97 MSI Gaming 7 / CPU: i5-4690k@4.5GHz 1.23v / GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 / RAM: 8GB DDR3 1600MHz@CL9 1.5v / PSU: Corsair CX500M / Case: NZXT 410 / Monitor: 1080p IPS Acer R240HY bidx

lol i wonder who will buy onje of these when Ipads will just sell better because if this were to be an actual project apple is working on the will probably make it over priced just like adding additional ram to a IMac which costs you 800$ for 1600mhz

$$金Trill金$$

iphone_ipad_iboard_imat_Ste.jpg

Interested in Linux, SteamOS and Open-source applications? Go here

Gaming Rig - CPU: i5 3570k @ Stock | GPU: EVGA Geforce 560Ti 448 Core Classified Ultra | RAM: Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB DDR3 1600 | SSD: Crucial M4 128GB | HDD: 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB WD Caviar Black, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Case: Antec Lanboy Air | KB: Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Blue | Mouse: Corsair Vengeance M95 | Headset: Steelseries Siberia V2

they should wait for intel to release Airmont and integrate that into a  full fledged OSX tablet 

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

Windows > OSX > Linux for sure

Debian>red hat>osx> windows.

Try learning your operating system yo. Going by design and code and efficiency windows will always be last, and if you think that windows is the best for gaming then you're wrong, apple would be. Companies just don't support it because of a smaller customer base.

Try learning your operating system yo. Going by design and code and efficiency windows will always be last, and if you think that windows is the best for gaming then you're wrong, apple would be. Companies just don't support it because of a smaller customer base.

Personal opinion, I'm no coder. yo..

OS - Windows 8.1 Motherboard - ASUS M5A99FX Pro R2.0 Processor - AMD FX 8350 Black Edition RAM - 16GB 2x8 Crucial Ballistix Sport Graphics Card - Gigabyte Windforce 2 OC GTX 660 Power Supply - Corsair CX750M CPU Cooler - NZXT Kraken X60 Wireless Adapter - ASUS PCE-N15 PCI-E Adapter Fans - x3 Masscool blue LED 120mm Fans Case - Fractal Design Define R4

Monitor - Dell S2230MX 21.5-inch Keyboard - Logitech G105 Mouse - Logitech G602 Speakers - Logitech Z130 Headsets/Headphones - Tt eSports Shock, AKG K240, California Headphones Laredo Phone - iPhone 4S

And that is why it would not be the best for gaming...because companies don't support it.

And that is why it would not be the best for gaming...because companies don't support it.

He's saying OSX is the best option for companies to support. The only reason it doesn't make sense to support it is due to lower market share. If companies supported both equally, OSX would be better (by extension, Linux isn't far off).

Interested in Linux, SteamOS and Open-source applications? Go here

Gaming Rig - CPU: i5 3570k @ Stock | GPU: EVGA Geforce 560Ti 448 Core Classified Ultra | RAM: Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB DDR3 1600 | SSD: Crucial M4 128GB | HDD: 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB WD Caviar Black, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Case: Antec Lanboy Air | KB: Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Blue | Mouse: Corsair Vengeance M95 | Headset: Steelseries Siberia V2

This bigger ipad isn't gonna happen, you can kick me in the nuts if it does

That would hurt my neck so much since it already hurts when I look down to use an iPad for my English class, nothing else I have to say about this concept

i3-2120|4gb 1333|GTX 650ti 1gb|Fractal R4|Corsair 430w 

they should wait for intel to release Airmont and integrate that into a  full fledged OSX tablet 

There trying to move away from intel and make all there processor themselves.

I  have GameServer`s And VOIP servers the only price is that you have fun on them. 

they are trying to move ? never seen them hating on intel

anyways

if they will use arm then its gonna be a bigger ipad (iOS)

thats just a bad move by them

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

I'm curious enough, you have a link for this? I'd actually be interested in reading up on this.

He's saying OSX is the best option for companies to support. The only reason it doesn't make sense to support it is due to lower market share. If companies supported both equally, OSX would be better (by extension, Linux isn't far off).

I don't understand the actual implementation side of this (read: will a game code be better on osx than windows?),  however market share and trends is one thing I do know a little about. It's not just the incredibly small market share they would be adapting games for but the apple ecosystem and sales strategy is not overly compatibly with the current gamers mentality. What this means is that even if apples market share were to start growing (it's actually shrinking for them ATM) then it would more often than not that the sales would be in non game related areas. 

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.