Folding@Home Install Guide and Links - LinusTechTips_Team - 223518

hey all.  Just joined after watching the LTT vid on F@H.  It's not much of folding machine, but I hope I can help.

https://pcpartpicker.com/b/2k3Ff7

-nate

Every little bit helps!

Forum Links - Community Standards, Privacy Policy, FAQ, Features Suggestions, Bug and Issues.

Folding/Boinc Info - Check out the Folding and Boinc Section, read the Folding Install thread and the Folding FAQ. Info on Boinc is here. Don't forget to join team 223518. Check out other users Folding Rigs for ideas. Don't forget to follow the @LTTCompute for updates and other random posts about the various teams.

Follow me on Twitter for updates @Whaler_99

Joined the team with my 980ti! Proud to support this!

Impossible? Yeah, like that's a word...

hey all. Just joined after watching the LTT vid on F@H. It's not much of folding machine, but I hope I can help.

https://pcpartpicker.com/b/2k3Ff7

-nate

I'm using the same CPU and GPU, and it will get some projects done at a decent speed. Have you OC'ed your build?

“When life gives you lemons, don’t make lemonade. Make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don’t want your damn lemons, what the hell am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life’s manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I’m the man who’s gonna burn your house down! With the lemons! I’m gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!”

- Cave Johnson, founder and CEO of Aperture Science, in Portal 2

Joined the team with my 980ti! Proud to support this!

Hey! welcome to the team, have a good time.

Going to give this a try on my machine overnight while I run a virus scan. Not sure how far I'm going to get, but I'm interested in an award.

blackshades on

I joined! :D

*mildly autistic*

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.2 GHz | Motherboard: x99 RampageRAM: 16GB DDR4 GPU: Nvidia 980 Ti SSD: Looking for one |

Welcome to all the new members!

Forum Links - Community Standards, Privacy Policy, FAQ, Features Suggestions, Bug and Issues.

Folding/Boinc Info - Check out the Folding and Boinc Section, read the Folding Install thread and the Folding FAQ. Info on Boinc is here. Don't forget to join team 223518. Check out other users Folding Rigs for ideas. Don't forget to follow the @LTTCompute for updates and other random posts about the various teams.

Follow me on Twitter for updates @Whaler_99

Updated my rig, taking a spin on F@H again. May run it overnight weekends or all week depending on power draw and performance. Initial tests show 520k PPD, but I don't know if it will stay that way. Regardless I'm psyched, I'll easily lap what I did in months and months on my old system.

Do you need a gpu to run folding at home or can you just have a gpu

LOOK AT MY NEW FLAG DESIGNS FOR PA AND VOTE ON YOUR FAVORITE

LOOK AT MY FIRST BATCH OF DESIGNS HERE

4690K @ 4.5GHz

GTX 970 FTW

MSI Z97 PC MATE

Define R5 windowed

Cooler Master Seidon 240m

EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G1

Kingston 120gb SSD

SanDisk 480Gb SSD

Seagate 1Tb Hard drive

Do you need a gpu to run folding at home or can you just have a gpu

You can run it with just a cpu, if said cpu is very dated and/or a mobile version, you could run the

chrome client for smaller less intensive wu's.

Can folding at home take use of multiple gpus like 4 of amd's 16 core opterons

LOOK AT MY NEW FLAG DESIGNS FOR PA AND VOTE ON YOUR FAVORITE

LOOK AT MY FIRST BATCH OF DESIGNS HERE

4690K @ 4.5GHz

GTX 970 FTW

MSI Z97 PC MATE

Define R5 windowed

Cooler Master Seidon 240m

EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G1

Kingston 120gb SSD

SanDisk 480Gb SSD

Seagate 1Tb Hard drive

Once I get my 600W PSU in, I will start folding while I'm not home. That R9 290 has to be put to work lol. Not sure how it would handle full load on 400W...

Can folding at home take use of multiple gpus like 4 of amd's 16 core opterons

I dont think there is a limit how many CPUs your system has or how many cores one of them have. Its a F@H setup thing how many you want to use. But then again havent run one so cant be sure there wouldnt be a promblem...

I joined, but there's something I want to know, what would happen if my computer were to shut down during a power outage?, it's rare when it happens but I would like to know what would happen, is there something I should be aware of, can I just continue?

The stars died for you to be here today.

A locked bathroom in the right place can make all the difference in the world.

I joined, but there's something I want to know, what would happen if my computer were to shut down during a power outage?, it's rare when it happens but I would like to know what would happen, is there something I should be aware of, can I just continue?

By default folding makes checkpoints every 15 minutes. It would simply restart from there the next time folding is active.

By default folding makes checkpoints every 15 minutes. It would simply restart from there the next time folding is active.

Thanks.

The stars died for you to be here today.

A locked bathroom in the right place can make all the difference in the world.

Thanks.

Not a problem. You can extend or shorten the frequencies of these backups in the advanced panel.

Is there a way to start FAH without receiving a new work unit?

I let my pc finish the current work unit and let the pc automatically shut down. I can not check if the work unit has finished the next day without downloading a new one and losing points...

Not directly to my knowledge.

However you could use a 3rd party's stat tracker site to check, such as http://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/team_summary.php?s=&t=223518

CPU: i7-5960X @ 4.5Ghz MB: Rampage V Extreme GPU: Titan X (self OC) Mem: 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR4 @ 3000 PSU: Corsair AX1200i With Green/Black Sleeved Cablemod Cables, Case: Corsair 900D KB: Corsair K95 RGB Cherry Red, Mouse: Logitech G502 + Destructor 2 Mat, Sound: Logitech Z623 Speakers, Display: 2x Samsung BX2440's, Cooling: Corsair H100i on CPU. 5x 140mm Intake fans + 1x 140mm Exhaust.

Is there a way to start FAH without receiving a new work unit?

I let my pc finish the current work unit and let the pc automatically shut down. I can not check if the work unit has finished the next day without downloading a new one and losing points...

Yeah, you need to press stop even once its finished, bugs out sometimes, I usually have to make it stop twice before it listens.

Gaming PC: CPU: i7 4770k@4.2GHz w/ CM Nepton 140xl, GPU: Gigabyte 1070 @2050, RAM: ADATA XPG V1 16GB@2133MHz, Mobo: MSI Z97 Gaming 7, Case: Corsair NZXT S340.

• 2 weeks later...

Grats all, we've just slid into 14th B)

http://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/team_summary.php?s=&t=223518

CPU: i7-5960X @ 4.5Ghz MB: Rampage V Extreme GPU: Titan X (self OC) Mem: 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR4 @ 3000 PSU: Corsair AX1200i With Green/Black Sleeved Cablemod Cables, Case: Corsair 900D KB: Corsair K95 RGB Cherry Red, Mouse: Logitech G502 + Destructor 2 Mat, Sound: Logitech Z623 Speakers, Display: 2x Samsung BX2440's, Cooling: Corsair H100i on CPU. 5x 140mm Intake fans + 1x 140mm Exhaust.

G'Day

Open the advanced control

Click Configure

Under Identity enter team number 223518

Click save

How do i join our team? i cant find the option for it???

Just as a general thing, quoting the op(original poster) is usually bad and unnecessary,

especially with big posts like these :P

As the guy above me said, there is no option to join the team. You have to enter our team

number where it belongs. The number is 223518 (in the title of this thread) 

You might get the option during the installation process, but if not. right click on the folding

icon, then either go into web control or the advanced client. 

In web control click change identity under "i'm folding as"

in the advanced client click configure in the top left, then click identity and put in the information.

Grab yourself a passkey for more points, you can read about that here in the FAQ:http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/207857-for-folding-users-tips-tricks-and-faq-updated-aug-2014/