AMD in a pickle with latest contract deal

nicehat

SM15000-Ivy-Bridge-Compute-Card.jpg

AMD which recently won a contract to supply Verizon with its server needs in preparation for its own cloud computing platform, scored a huge win for the resurging company....Or so we thought. 

You see, last year AMD aquired SeaMicro, whose high density servers were an attractive choice for a company like Verizon trying to get into the cloud market. The problem is that more than three quarters of the servers purchased by Verizon are actually powered by Intel Xeon E3, not AMD Opteron chips. Essentially, AMD has become an Intel OEM. 

Now remember, my furry brained friends, the whole purpose of buying SeaMicro was to expand AMD's presence into the Server Market space, not to be someone's middleman salesman taking a cut off of the top. Although...a sale is a sale, and in this profit driven world any profit margin is a win for AMD... My 2 cents

What do you think about this? A win for AMD? A win for Intel? Both? Neither?

http://www.extremetech.com/computing/168265-exclusive-amds-verizon-server-win-was-actually-a-massive-win-for-intel

AMD FX-8350 @ 4.7Ghz when gaming | MSI 990FXA-GD80 v2 | Swiftech H220 | Sapphire Radeon HD 7950  +  XFX Radeon 7950 | 8 Gigs of Crucial Ballistix Tracers | 140 GB Raptor X | 1 TB WD Blue | 250 GB Samsung Pro SSD | 120 GB Samsung SSD | 750 Watt Antec HCG PSU | Corsair C70 Mil Green

AMD they need all they can get

Console optimisations and how they will effect you | The difference between AMD cores and Intel cores | Memory Bus size and how it effects your VRAM usage |
How much vram do you actually need? | APUs and the future of processing | Projects: SO - here

Intel i7 5820l @ with Corsair H110 | 32GB DDR4 RAM @ 1600Mhz | XFX Radeon R9 290 @ 1.2Ghz | Corsair 600Q | Corsair TX650 | Probably too much corsair but meh should have had a Corsair SSD and RAM | 1.3TB HDD Space | Sennheiser HD598 | Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro | Blue Snowball

Kinda weak, but a sale is a sale, as you said ;-) maybe it's a way to ease in to high demands?

My thoughts is as time progresses they'll phase out the xeons.

Rig 1 CPU: 3570K Motherboard: V Gene GPU: Power Color r9 280x at 1.35GHZ  RAM: 16 GB 1600mhz PSU: Cougar CMX 700W Storage: 1x Plexor M5S 256GB 1x 1TB HDD 1x 3TB GREEN HDD Case: Coolermaster HAFXB Cooling: Intel Watercooler
"My day so far, I've fixed 4 computers and caught a dog. Australian Tech Industry is weird."

"It's bent so far to the right, It's a hook."

We can all agree on one thing: AMD is trying to gain power. 

Sure this might be a mistake but they are tryign to grow their roots within the market. 

Andres "Bluejay" Alejandro Montefusco - The Forums Favorite Bird!!!

Top Clock: 7.889 Ghz Cooled by: Liquid Helium   

#ChocolateRAM #OatmealFans #ScratchItHarder #WorstcardBestoverclocker #CrazySexStories #SchnitzelQuest TS3 SERVER

This is like Batman and Superman...

oh please, everyone knows that batman beat superman  :ph34r:

You would've thought that after the ownership change, AMD would have removed Intel CPU's from the server lineup... But regardless, they'll have made a profit margin of some sort or another. AMD needs the money (At least until next gen consoles get into full production in a year or two).

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

I don't understand if they are intel chips why don't they buy directly from Intel?

I don't understand if they are intel chips why don't they buy directly from Intel?

Intel doesn't sell servers directly. Verizon bought servers from SeaMicro (Which is now owned by AMD), yet bought servers configured with Intel CPU's. SeaMicro therefore had bought them from Intel (And indirectly that means that AMD bought and sold Intel CPU's).

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

I don't get it, where does the CPU cooler go?

On the CPU.

AMD FX-8350 @ 4.7Ghz when gaming | MSI 990FXA-GD80 v2 | Swiftech H220 | Sapphire Radeon HD 7950  +  XFX Radeon 7950 | 8 Gigs of Crucial Ballistix Tracers | 140 GB Raptor X | 1 TB WD Blue | 250 GB Samsung Pro SSD | 120 GB Samsung SSD | 750 Watt Antec HCG PSU | Corsair C70 Mil Green

It's a bad thing that AMD does make money off of their own CPUs, but at least they found a way to make money off Intel.

Intel i5 6600k~Asus Maximus VIII Hero~G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 8GB DDR4-3200 CL-16~Sapphire Radeon R9 Fury Tri-X~Phanteks Enthoo Pro M~Sandisk Extreme Pro 480GB~SeaSonic Snow Silent 750~BenQ XL2730Z QHD 144Hz FreeSync~Cooler Master Seidon 240M~Varmilo VA87M (Cherry MX Brown)~Corsair Vengeance M95~Oppo PM-3~Windows 10 Pro~http://pcpartpicker.com/p/ynmBnQ

Intel doesn't sell servers directly. Verizon bought servers from SeaMicro (Which is now owned by AMD), yet bought servers configured with Intel CPU's. SeaMicro therefore had bought them from Intel (And indirectly that means that AMD bought and sold Intel CPU's).

ohk but isnt that saying something about amds cpus there bad? otherwise why wouldnt they remove intel from that company? also even if they didnt remove it for whatever reason wouldn't they try to promote amd cpus more and pressure companies into buying amd servers?

ohk but isnt that saying something about amds cpus there bad? otherwise why wouldnt they remove intel from that company? also even if they didnt remove it for whatever reason wouldn't they try to promote amd cpus more and pressure companies into buying amd servers?

The problem is that since the company was purchased just last year, they really havent had time to redo their product lineup. And since it is a data storage merchant first, SeaMicro will likely still sell Intel products to some extent, although emphasis will understandably be on AMD Opteron based solutions.

oh please, everyone knows that batman beat superman  :ph34r:

""I didn't have to go easy on you. A different binding agent, a stronger mix... I want you to remember that. I wanted to remind you to stay out of my way. In all the years to come, in your most private moments, I want you to remember the one man who beat you!

AMD's Seamicro deal with Verizon includes 4 CPU options, one of which is AMD based.

They still get to sell chips.

And presumably over time that ratio will shift in favour of AMD.

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

SM15000-Ivy-Bridge-Compute-Card.jpg

AMD which recently won a contract to supply Verizon with its server needs in preparation for its own cloud computing platform, scored a huge win for the resurging company....Or so we thought. 

You see, last year AMD aquired SeaMicro, whose high density servers were an attractive choice for a company like Verizon trying to get into the cloud market. The problem is that more than three quarters of the servers purchased by Verizon are actually powered by Intel Xeon E3, not AMD Opteron chips. Essentially, AMD has become an Intel OEM. 

Now remember, my furry brained friends, the whole purpose of buying SeaMicro was to expand AMD's presence into the Server Market space, not to be someone's middleman salesman taking a cut off of the top. Although...a sale is a sale, and in this profit driven world any profit margin is a win for AMD... My 2 cents

What do you think about this? A win for AMD? A win for Intel? Both? Neither?

http://www.extremetech.com/computing/168265-exclusive-amds-verizon-server-win-was-actually-a-massive-win-for-intel

I think its a win for AMD, AMD can show Intel what they've got...  

I think AMD knew exactly what they were buying and getting into, because in the current economic climate market control is just as important as profit, the more cloud computing they control the better long term.

My initial thoughts anyway.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

I think its a win for AMD, AMD can show Intel what they've got...  

A whole load of Intel CPUs?

Main System - 2016 13"nTB MBP 256GB

Gaming Rig - 4790K, 16GB RAM, 1080Ti
Monitor - Dell 25" U2515H

K/B & M - Ducky One TKL, Logitech MX Master & G900

Audio - JDS Labs The Element, Aktimate Mini B+, Krix Seismix 3 Mk6, Ultrasone Pro 900

well it could be a win for AMD if they told them if they change all processors and give them a really good price on it then i dont think they will mind or just dont support the xeon when something happens 

Computer and other things (My Phanteks Enthoo Elite build is done)

Spoiler

Main Computer

Spoiler

Processor: Intel Core i7 6850k @4.5GHz
Motherboard: Asus Rampage V ROG Edition 10
Heatsink: Custom Hardline
Memory: Corsaor Dominator 16GB (4GB x2) DDR4 3000MHz 
Video Card: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW
Hard Drive: x2 OCZ ARC 100 240GB RAID 0 (Boot), Western Digital 4TB SSHD (Steam), x2 Adata 512GB (Steam)
Main GUI: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

All That Extra Stuff

Spoiler

Monitor: x2 Dell U2414H
Keyboard: Ducky Shine 5 RGB (Cherry MX Blue)
Mouse: Logitech G502
Headset: AKG K553 Pro Studio Headphones
Speakers: Boston Accustics Home Media Theater 2.1 + Boston Accustics Soundbar
Microphone: Audio Technica AT-2035 w/ Focusrite Scarlett Solo
Sound: Creative Sound Blaster E5 DAC

Server

Spoiler

Case: Rosewill 4U Rackmount RSV-L4500

Processor: Intel Xeon E5-2670 V3 12C/24T

Motherboard: Asrock x99 Extreme 4

Ram: Kingston HyperX DDR4 2133 4x4GB

Video Card: Nvidia GT520

OS Drive: Kingston Hyperx 240GB SSD

Raid Card: LSI MegaRaid  9261-8i 8-port

Hard Drives: x7 HGST 4TB Nas

A whole load of Intel CPUs?

Yeah, It will also give them some extra profit.  And might annoy Intel

There was probably a few reasons why they used Intel chips. AMD is also a company and they need to make a profit.