PC into 50's Television [Build Log]

Polku

So hello,

I'm new to this particular forum, but not new to tech-forums in general. What I tought is to hit the ground running and begin my path in these forums with a build log.

This is a idea I got at our local fleemarket couple of moths ago when I saw this nice looking old TV for sale there and tought "that would make one unique all-in-one-case" :) Unfortunately that particular one was priced over 200€ (somewhere around 250$) so it was bit too dear to become a base for experimental project. So little time passed and I found a one closer to my comfort zone at 50€. It is -58 or -59 17" hornyphon :lol: :

Edestauml_1.jpg

I first began with a stripdown:

20130820_181725.jpg

After emptying everything unnecessary, I started to experiment the layout of the case and this one was the one I'm currently going to carry out:

Emovirtalaumlhde_moc.jpg

So I went on to cannibilize a old M-atx case for motherboard tray and couple of other parts:

Ilmankuorta.jpg

http://i1212.photobucket.com/albums/cc443/Polku_86/Retro_TV_PC_project/Reunojasiistitty.jpg

http://i1212.photobucket.com/albums/cc443/Polku_86/Retro_TV_PC_project/Trayjavanhavaumllikatto.jpg

Next step was to create support structure for PSU and the storage drives (it's quite rough, but I let it slip because you can't actually see it from any angle when finished):

Paikallaanilmanmitaumlaumln_2.jpg

And then we come to the present moment. Earlier this week I cleaned off the old chipped and partially flat varnish and applied new varnish:

Ekapintasiklattu.jpg

Valmis.jpg

http://i1212.photobucket.com/albums/cc443/Polku_86/Retro_TV_PC_project/Jotainyritystaumlpintakuvasta.jpg

This was quick recap of what I have done so far on this project. It's quite shorten version of the log I've kept on a Finnish tech-site, but if you are intrested in seeing more photos from these early stages, feel free to visit Finnish topic: http://murobbs.plaza.fi/kotelot-ja-modifiointi/1036061-kone-retro-tv-seen-build-log-paivitetty-28-8-2013-a.html

The actual computer parts this project will include are open at the moment. Only things I've decided on those lines is that Motherboard is M-atx and the gpu can be a mid-range model (for the display will only be 1240x1024px 17" screen).

I try to update this log simultaneously with the Finnish version, but I try to keep slow and steady paste overall and not to rush things :)

And last, I must apoligize any typos or grammar errors for English is only my second language :)

1.PRIME X570-PRO/ 3700X & Custom H2O/H510 Elite/16Gb-RAM/RTX 2080 Super/500Gb M.2 ssd/240Gb ssd/4Tb/P-660 (XP²)/Win10
2.P5P55D-E PRO/i7-870@4,1Ghz@1,34V/Observatory/12Gb-RAM/RX 570 Strix/240Gb ssd/1Tb/RM650x/Win10

Keep up the great work! Can't wait to see it finished!

Update coming soon.......... ;)

OMG. This is going to be beautiful

Can't wait to see it finished

AMD Athlon X4 750k; Gigabyte F2A88XM-DS2; 8Gb Corsair XMS 1600 Mhz; AMD Hd5670 1Gb DDR3; Bequiet E6-600W; W7 Ultimate x64

#KILLEDMYWIFE                                                                                                                                                                                                                         so miner; very doge; much value   

Dell Vostro 5470: i5 4200U Nvidia GT740m 2Gb 14" 1366x768 Kingston V300 120Gb                                                                                              

This is going to be epic! build log of the week! 

AMD FX-8350 OC to 4.5ghz      Evga gtx 660       SilverStone FT03      Samsung 840 128gb  

Awesome build idea this looks awesome

My rig  case- Graphite 600t white CPU-i5 3570k OC 4.0Ghz RAM- 8gb Vengeance memory HDD-WD Black 1tb PSU-tx650 GPU- MSI 770 gameing edition 2gb , gtx 650 1gb Motherboard- asrock extreme 3 z77 Fan controller- NZXT sentry lx CPU cooler- H60 Peripherals- g300 mouse G630 headset k70 silver cherry mx red switches  my free nas nas Case- Dell something.. Ram- 8 gb ecc ddr 2 CPU - Pentium D 3.0ghz HDD currently 160 gb adding 3tb wd red “Sucking at something is the first step to being sorta good at something” –Jake the Dog

Would be cool if you somehow could put a 1080p monitor in the display part of the TV box and use it for LANs. Also, I could add rubber vibration dampeners under the psu

i5 4670k| Asrock H81M-ITX| EVGA Nex 650g| WD Black 500Gb| H100 with SP120s| ASUS Matrix 7970 Platinum (just sold)| Patriot Venom 1600Mhz 8Gb| Bitfenix Prodigy. Build log in progress 

Build Log here: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/119926-yin-yang-prodigy-update-2-26-14/

Can't wait to see the outcome of this build! 

Rig specs: 3930k | 32GB RAM | GTX580 | Asus PB278 | Corsair K90 | Logitech G700 | HD558's 

Thanks for the support and andivolaj123 quessed right it's going to be lan-party rig :)

Would be cool if you somehow could put a 1080p monitor in the display part of the TV box and use it for LANs. Also, I could add rubber vibration dampeners under the psu

Yep, I know that 1080p monitor would be cooler choice, but I'd had to adapt a 17" laptop display for this end and it would run the build costs too high at this moment (I'm currently unemployed)... This doesn't mean that I won't change the display to 1080p if the right deal comes along or my financial situation improves dramatically later on. I also tought buying bigger TV for a while just for the 1080p reason, but it would have seriously lessen the ease of moving this case around into Lan-parties etc... For the psu dampeners. If I end up with non-semi-passive psu, I have some laying around that I can install, but while I enjoy my silence optimiced systems as much as the next guy, I don't mind my computers making little noice under heavy loads :)

1.PRIME X570-PRO/ 3700X & Custom H2O/H510 Elite/16Gb-RAM/RTX 2080 Super/500Gb M.2 ssd/240Gb ssd/4Tb/P-660 (XP²)/Win10
2.P5P55D-E PRO/i7-870@4,1Ghz@1,34V/Observatory/12Gb-RAM/RX 570 Strix/240Gb ssd/1Tb/RM650x/Win10

this will be awesome

CPU: i5 2500k@4.2 MBO: Asrock P67 Extreme4 GPU: Gigabyte GTX 560Ti 1GB RAM: Corsair 8GB 1600 SSD: Samsung 840 Basic 250 HDD: Samsung F3 1TB + WD 2TB Green + WD MyBook 1TB external; ODD: LG BD/DVDRW; PSU: Corsair TX 650
Case: Fractal Define R3 Black Pearl; Mouse/Keyboard Logitech Performance MX + Wireless K800; Monitor: Dell U2311H 

Dear diary:

Today I accuired the 17" display and started the most difficult and time consuming part of this build. That part is the fitting of the new display.

The display I ended up with is Viewsonic VX724. It is a 1240x1024p display as planned, but it has DVI-connector witch I've found quiten rare find in this size-range:

Lahtokohta.jpg

No time like the present so I dove in with dissassembly of the display:

Purettu.jpg

And then went on to draw some lines how to fit the new display into old fitting-frame:

hahmotelmaaleikkauksista.jpg

Then was time for dremeling and shortening my lifespan for few years (vapors released from dremeling didn't smell very healthy):

Leikkaus_1.jpg

Leikkaus_2_ja_uudet_luonnokset.jpg

After hour of nerve wrecking operating the result was this:

Leikkaus_valmis.jpg

At first I tried to glue the peaces together, but the glue I used didn't hold:

Epaonnistunut_liimaus_1.jpg

Then I ended up fetching "Chemical Metal" from store and glued pieces together with it and started to fill in the gaps:

Paklausta_aloiteltu.jpg

And at last pictures of the "ready" upper- and lower edges (both still have some filling and sanding to do...):

Ylalaita.jpg

Alalaita.jpg

So that concludes this day. I will return to arduous filling and sandin tomorrow or day after that (when my wife lets me ;) ). My goal is to get this painted by tuesday and to be able to start fitting the whole display assembly into the case at latest by thurstday :)

More pics and more info

AMD Athlon X4 750k; Gigabyte F2A88XM-DS2; 8Gb Corsair XMS 1600 Mhz; AMD Hd5670 1Gb DDR3; Bequiet E6-600W; W7 Ultimate x64

#KILLEDMYWIFE                                                                                                                                                                                                                         so miner; very doge; much value   

Dell Vostro 5470: i5 4200U Nvidia GT740m 2Gb 14" 1366x768 Kingston V300 120Gb                                                                                              

Wow, this is awesome!

The first step to insanity is believing in your sanity.

This is going to be so cool :D

| i5-4670k @ 4.2Ghz | Corsair H100i | Gigabyte Z87X-UD4H | Corsair Vengeance Pro 8GB | ASUS Geforce GTX 770 |

| Samsung 840 Pro 128GB | WD Black 1TB | Corsair AX760 | Fractal Design Define R4 Black w/ Window | Corsair AF140 x2 |

| Windows 8.1 | ASUS 23" 1080p monitor | CM Storm Quickfire Stealth- MX Blue | Logitech G9x | Logitech G930 |

This seems really cool, I want to see this finished.

Such an awesome idea, can't wait to see more :D.

Such an awesome idea, can't wait to see more :D.

It looks nice! :D

Intel i7-2600K @ 4,5GHz | EVGA GeForce GTX 780 w/EKWB Copper Waterblock | Kingston HyperX blu 16GB @ 1600 MHz | Phanteks Enthoo Primo | MSI Z77A-GD65 | CM M1000 Silent Pro | Samsung 840 Pro 128GB | BenQ XL2420T 120hz | Logitech G710+ | Razer Deathadder 2013 -

- XSPC Raystorm CPU Waterblock | XSPC RX360 Radiator | EKWB EK-FC Titan GPU Waterblock -

First off all, thank you for the support smile.gif

And then to the sideways progress of this project...

After yesterdays post I went on and market little imperfections in "finished" sides, where this days part begin:

Virheitauml.jpg

Slowly the filler started to cumulate to form wanted curves:

Toinenkinlaita.jpg

And then very much sanded:

Melkeinvalmis.jpg

At this stage I decided to give it a coat of paint to better see where I'am in terms of  quality of the surface and over all smoothness of the curves:

hiontavaumlri_1.jpg

Hiontavaumlri_2-1.jpg

The paint revealed that the fillings and sanding are allready ok, and I could just sand down the paint and give it the final coat. BUT as you can see from the photos the fitting collar and the front bezel of the display had sifted about 4mm off the center somewhere during the process and I now get to figure out how to fix this....

At first I will most likely just try to dremell 2mm off from the outside of the wider side and try to fit it with 2mm offset into the case, but if it still looks stupid I'll have to take it apart very carefully and then glue the pieces back together in correct position filling and sanding the old work to fit the new position...

AWESOME concept! 

phanteks enthoo pro | intel i5 4690k | noctua nh-d14 | msi z97 gaming 5 | 16gb crucial ballistix tactical | msi gtx970 4G OC  | adata sp900

So I did jump into conclusion about my failure as human being and that I screw up with the fitting collar bit too hastily ;)

I gathered myself and tought "What the hell, I'm going to have to rework it quite a bit so let's see what else is wrong", So I went on and assembled the display assembly to test fit it into the case:

kokeilu_paikalleensuoraanedestauml.jpg

kokeil_paikalleenparas.jpg

Kokeilupaikalleen_1.jpg

And for my supprise the collar fit into 2mm offset without any reworking and after doing it the 4mm difference between sides was nearly non-noticeable eek.gif Also luckily I did the test fit before I went trought all the trouble of finishing the paint as it turned out that the lower edge needs more support as the filling/glue fractured under the weight of the screen itself...