PC into 50's Television [Build Log]

Polku

Awesome idea man  :D.  Can't wait to see it finished. 

CASE: FRACTAL DESIGN DEFINE R4  |  MOBO: MSI MPOWER Z77  |  CPU: Intel i5 3570k @ 4.4 GHz  |  CPU COOLER: NOCTUA NH-D15  |  GPU: EVGA GTX 770 SC |

PSU: CORSAIR AX860 W/ RED BRAIDED CABLES | SSD: SAMSUNG 840 EVO 250 GB | HDD: WD BLACK 1 TB | FANS: 3x NOCTUA NF-A14 | MONITOR: HP W2371D

KEYBOARD: CM STORM QFR MX BLUES W/  PBT KEYCAPS  |  MOUSE: LOGITECH G502 | MIC: AUDIO TECHNICA AT2020 | HEADPHONES: SENNHEISER HD 558

I see you have a flat screen High res CRT, high tech stuff mate! Really good work though, can't wait to see more :D.

Thank you :) But the screen is actually TFT-screen. I could have gotten 17" CRT for free but as they tend to weight a ton, I rather paid the 10€ for a TFT-one :)

1.PRIME X570-PRO/ 3700X & Custom H2O/H510 Elite/16Gb-RAM/RTX 2080 Super/500Gb M.2 ssd/240Gb ssd/4Tb/P-660 (XP²)/Win10
2.P5P55D-E PRO/i7-870@4,1Ghz@1,34V/Observatory/12Gb-RAM/RX 570 Strix/240Gb ssd/1Tb/RM650x/Win10

Thank you :) But the screen is actually TFT-screen. I could have gotten 17" CRT for free but as they tend to weight a ton, I rather paid the 10€ for a TFT-one :)

463.jpg

Of course I know. I was just making a joke while congratulating you on the good job you did :lol:.

463.jpg

Of course I know. I was just making a joke while congratulating you on the good job you did :lol:.

:D Ah, now I get it :)(English is only my second language so some jokes might elude me at first.)

1.PRIME X570-PRO/ 3700X & Custom H2O/H510 Elite/16Gb-RAM/RTX 2080 Super/500Gb M.2 ssd/240Gb ssd/4Tb/P-660 (XP²)/Win10
2.P5P55D-E PRO/i7-870@4,1Ghz@1,34V/Observatory/12Gb-RAM/RX 570 Strix/240Gb ssd/1Tb/RM650x/Win10

:D Ah, now I get it :)(English is only my second language so some jokes might elude me at first.)

Same here, no worries mate :).

Minor update. I decided to take the display frame/fitting collar thing apart and re-allign them correctly. It is, when you think about it, the most obvious and instantly noticeable modification I'm going to make. So here it is now in correct position to millimetre just bit more filler and sanding and it's ready to paint :) :

Uudelleen_kiinni.jpg

Cool

CPU: i5 2500k@4.2 MBO: Asrock P67 Extreme4 GPU: Gigabyte GTX 560Ti 1GB RAM: Corsair 8GB 1600 SSD: Samsung 840 Basic 250 HDD: Samsung F3 1TB + WD 2TB Green + WD MyBook 1TB external; ODD: LG BD/DVDRW; PSU: Corsair TX 650
Case: Fractal Define R3 Black Pearl; Mouse/Keyboard Logitech Performance MX + Wireless K800; Monitor: Dell U2311H 

First of all, thank you all for the support :)

And then to the update. Today I jumped forwards in the project in many parts. I painted the interior, motherboard tray and hdd-cage, did test fits of parts and lastly installed sound-dampening material. Unfortunately my workflow was quite chaotic today and I forgot to take pictures about just the painting...

But then to the pictures. When the paint was dry I brought everything in:

Mustaa_1.jpg

I test fitted the collar and front panel (now painted white) to their places:

Hyvauml_vinost_1.jpg

Hyvauml_edestauml_2.jpg

Then I started planning the soundproofing, for without it this case would be just echochamber for every possible noise the parts could make (fan/pump noise, coil whine etc.):

Eristaumlminen_alkaa.jpg

The sound deadening material I chose is some universal set of BeQuiet sound deadening material. I chose this material for it seemed to be very high quality and it looked good:

Eriste.jpg

When I got all the material installed. I decided to put the display assembly together, test fit everything in and take some shots how it looks:

testi_kasailu_1.jpg

Testikasailu_2.jpg

Sisaumlpuolta.jpg

Oh, and I almost forgot, I intalled one part "finally":

Pohja_kesken.jpg

So the hdd-cradle found it's place and I mocked up some insulation from the leftover peaces of the sound deadening material.

Everything seemed very good for the final installation of the display assembly, but the collar decided to crack again. This time from the upper corner where there was no apparent load at any poin :( But no matter I just have to take the assembly apart again and figure out how it fractured and reinforce it from right place (and then paint it again and sand and pain and sand and...

And then to the update. Today I jumped forwards in the project in many parts. I painted the interior, motherboard tray and hdd-cage, did test fits of parts and lastly installed sound-dampening material. Unfortunately my workflow was quite chaotic today and I forgot to take pictures about just the painting...

Mustaa_1.jpg

Hyvauml_vinost_1.jpg

Hyvauml_edestauml_2.jpg

Then I started planning the soundproofing, for without it this case would be just echochamber for every possible noise the parts could make (fan/pump noise, coil whine etc.):

Eristaumlminen_alkaa.jpg

The sound deadening material I chose is some universal set of BeQuiet sound deadening material. I chose this material for it seemed to be very high quality and it looked good:

Eriste.jpg

When I got all the material installed. I decided to put the display assembly together, test fit everything in and take some shots how it looks:

testi_kasailu_1.jpg

Testikasailu_2.jpg

Sisaumlpuolta.jpg

Pohja_kesken.jpg

So the hdd-cradle found it's place and I mocked up some insulation from the leftover peaces of the sound deadening material.

Everything seemed very good for the final installation of the display assembly, but the collar decided to crack again. This time from the upper corner where there was no apparent load at any poin :( But no matter I just have to take the assembly apart again and figure out how it fractured and reinforce it from right place (and then paint it again and sand and pain and sand and...

This is looking great!

AMD FX-8350 OC to 4.5ghz      Evga gtx 660       SilverStone FT03      Samsung 840 128gb  

Neat idea. Looking pretty sweet.

My Build - Cpu: Intel i7 4770K @ 4.0Ghz Case: Phanteks Evolv ITX | Motherbord: ASUS Maximus VI ImpactRam: 8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro
Video Card: EVGA GTX 760 | Power Supply: Corsair AX760 | Monitors: Dell P2210 | Keyboard: Logitech k270 | Mouse: Logitech M185

Looks awesome so far! Great job :D Can't wait until the next update.

| i5-4670k @ 4.2Ghz | Corsair H100i | Gigabyte Z87X-UD4H | Corsair Vengeance Pro 8GB | ASUS Geforce GTX 770 |

| Samsung 840 Pro 128GB | WD Black 1TB | Corsair AX760 | Fractal Design Define R4 Black w/ Window | Corsair AF140 x2 |

| Windows 8.1 | ASUS 23" 1080p monitor | CM Storm Quickfire Stealth- MX Blue | Logitech G9x | Logitech G930 |

Mustaa_1.jpg

Hyvauml_vinost_1.jpg

Hyvauml_edestauml_2.jpg

Eristaumlminen_alkaa.jpg

Eriste.jpg

testi_kasailu_1.jpg

Testikasailu_2.jpg

Sisaumlpuolta.jpg

Pohja_kesken.jpg

Have you thought about using a metal collar?

AMD Athlon X4 750k; Gigabyte F2A88XM-DS2; 8Gb Corsair XMS 1600 Mhz; AMD Hd5670 1Gb DDR3; Bequiet E6-600W; W7 Ultimate x64

#KILLEDMYWIFE                                                                                                                                                                                                                         so miner; very doge; much value   

Dell Vostro 5470: i5 4200U Nvidia GT740m 2Gb 14" 1366x768 Kingston V300 120Gb                                                                                              

Have you thought about using a metal collar?

Yes, but I lack the equipment and the facilities to work metal in the precision needed so I'm stuck with this plastic one... And the latest crack is purely on me. I just forgot to reinforce the cracked corner and I think that after I do It'll last minor nuclear blast :)

So today went not so well... The third computer in my sig desided to have suprise motherboard failure without any warning. So the best part of this day went into pinpointing the fault to mobo (it's practically my wife's computer so it was important to find out what was wrong so I could start to sort out replacement part asap) :(

Anyways I was able to make supports for display:

Yksinkertainenjatehokas.jpg

And tested does the display work still (It's nearly impossible to take a picture witch makes justice how cool this reasonably dpi and sharp pictured display makes in this old case):

Naumlyttoumlpaumlaumllle.jpg

And for last I borrowed Super Flower Golden Green Pro 450W psu from the broken computer to see what kind of cable management would be possible... :

Mikaumlihmeensemimodutarvisi.jpg

And semi-modular not as long as golden green psu goes into must have list...

• 2 weeks later...

Looking absolutely EPIC!

The first step to insanity is believing in your sanity.

refreshingly epic build log

I dream of 0s and 1s folding to my every command,

algorithms seeping from the back of my head when I need them.

Not just something different and unique, but something that's actually different

and good. Subbed!

BUILD LOGS: HELIOS - Latest Update: 2015-SEP-06 ::: ZEUS - BOTW 2013-JUN-28 ::: APOLLO - Complete: 2014-MAY-10
OTHER STUFF: Cable Lacing Tutorial ::: What Is ZFS? ::: mincss Primer ::: LSI RAID Card Flashing Tutorial
FORUM INFO: Community Standards ::: The Moderating Team ::: 10TB+ Storage Showoff Topic

Not just something different and unique, but something that's actually different

and good. Subbed!

Yeah I totally agree. I love seeing stuff like this. A few years ago I had the pleasure of stripping down a 1930s radio. I was going to build a modern radio into it with an amplifier and pair of 6x9 speakers. Never did get it finished, but playing with something so old is really cool. It just has this smell and feel about it.

Personally I would love to get my hands on one of these and put a PC in it...

il_570xN41076857.jpg

50s Imac :D

Area 51 2014. Intel 5820k@ 4.4ghz. MSI X99.16gb Quad channel ram. AMD Fury X.Asus RAIDR.OCZ ARC 480gb SSD. Velociraptor 600gb. 2tb WD.

Thanks for the support again :) ALXAndy, that would be even cooler alternative than these regular box-ones :)

I finally got my wife's computer and my car fixed, so I got some work done with the case.

So the display fitting frame is finally "done" and in place, I also ended up to putting the displays original backplastic in to make the look cleaner:

Sisaumlltauml.jpg

You can also see them from the first picture, but I test fitted some "legs" to the case:

Edestauml.jpg

Sivulta.jpg

Legs are just test fitted as such because it was easiest to fit them so. Really actually would like opinions about should I just leave em as such or mayby turn them around or instal them in some differen orientation?

awesome, subbed

-The Bellerophon- Obsidian 550D-i5-3570k@4.5Ghz -Asus Sabertooth Z77-16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 1866Mhz-x2 EVGA GTX 760 Dual FTW 4GB-Creative Sound Blaster XF-i Titanium-OCZ Vertex Plus 120GB-Seagate Barracuda 2TB- https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/60154-the-not-really-a-build-log-build-log/ Twofold http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/121043-twofold-a-dual-itx-system/ How great is EVGA? http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/110662-evga-how-great-are-they/#entry1478299

Looks amazing! Subbed.

CPU: Intel Core i5 2550K @ 4GHz | Cooler: Gelid Tranquillo Rev. 2 | Mobo: Gigabyte GA-Z68AP-D3

GPU: XFX 1GB HD6850 OC'd | SSD: OCZ Agility 3 60GB | HDD: Samsung 500GB | PSU: Corsair HX520W | Case: Zalman Z11+

Looks fantastic!  :wub:  Keep the pictures coming.

CPU: i7 2600 @ 3.4 GHz | GPU: MSI Radeon HD 7950 Twin Frozr 3 @ 1150 MHz core/6300 MHz memory | Motherboard: Some crap OEM H67 mATX board | RAM: 16GB Patriot G2 Series Division 4 @ 1333 MHz | SSD: Kingston HyperX 3K 120GB SSD | HDD: 2TB Seagate Barracuda | Case: Fractal Design Define R4 Windowed | CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-L9i | Mouse: CM Storm Inferno | Keyboard: crap OEM keyboard (Soon to be replaced with a CM Storm Quickfire TK) | Headphones: Audiotechnica ATH-M50's | Speakers: Corsair SP2500's