Books Anyone?

Starelementpoke

Any books anyone likes/liked? Can be from 3rd grade or college, just some good interesting books and or series. Just an FYI, not mentioning Harry Potter, 90% of the population loves the books, including me.

Inheritance Cycle (it's a series) by Christopher Paolini

Pro Tip: don't use flash when taking pictures of your build; use a longer exposure instead. Prop up your camera with something (preferably a tripod) if necessary.

if you use retarded/autistic/etc to mean stupid please gtfo

I don't read. 

3 tips to have a good time on the LTT forums | 1. When you reply to someone please quote them | 2. Please follow your threads | 3. Follow the C.o.C 

If you follow these 3 tips you should have a blast.

i'm rather proud of this for some reason. http://imgur.com/6ttS5XZ

Any books anyone likes/liked? Can be from 3rd grade or college, just some good interesting books and or series. Just an FYI, not mentioning Harry Potter, 90% of the population loves the books, including me.

I'm a fan of the Dragonlance series of fantasy novels.  My favorite of them being the Elven Nation Trilogy.

Firstborn

The Kinslayer Wars

The Qualinesti

I like David Weber's Honor Harrington series of novels.  Jeff Lindsay's Dexter series, Jeffery Deaver's Bone Collector series, Pauline Réage's Histoire d'O, and so much more.  Robert Heinlein's Starship Troopers, Joe Haldeman's The Forever War, Sun Tzu, Musashi's Go Rin No Sho, etc.

I guess I'm one of the minority who doesn't care much about Harry Potter or Hunger Games or Mazer Runner or what's its name about choosing factions when you reach a certain age, was made into a movie.  I definitely don't like any of Jane Austen's books.  Reading Pride and Prejudice made me want to burn that book.

Guide: DSLR or Video camera?, Guide: Film/Photo makers' useful resources, Guide: Lenses, a quick primer

Nikon D4, Nikon D800E, Fuji X-E2, Canon G16, Gopro Hero 3+, iPhone 5s. Hasselblad 500C/M, Sony PXW-FS7

ICT Consultant, Photographer, Video producer, Scuba diver and underwater explorer, Nature & humanitarian documentary producer

A Wheel of Time by Robert Jordan

A Song of Ice and Fire by George R.R Martin

The Lord of the Rings by J.R.R Tolkien + The Hobbit

Iliad and the Odyssey by Homer

Outlander Series by Diana Gabaldon

The KingKiller Chronicles by Patrick Rothfuss

Malazan: Book of the Fallen by Steven Erikson

He rips off every best seller out there like Dragonriders of Pern, Earthsea, ASOIAF, A Wheel of Time and many more. :angry:

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

The Outsiders, good book and also good movie. 

Oh man that was a dope book, I feel like everyone had to read that in 8th grade haha

This one is good provided you don't mind it's insanely derivative universe (its basically a well done fan fic).

The Malazan Book of the Fallen series is an all time great if you are an avid reader, although it's main series length of over 2.5 million words is a time investment  (took me about a month to read all 10 700-1200 page books)...

Likewise if somehow you haven't read LotR, then you should. If you have, then I'd highly recommend Children of Hurin (short great read), and The Silmarillion (which if people weren't so lazy they would recognize it's greatness). Even still no matter how much you dislike long character lists, Ainulindale (the opening section of The Silmarillion) is one of the best short stories ever written (I have read on of a few million pages in my relatively short life, and it's still my favorite.)

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

He rips off every best seller out there like Dragonriders of Pern, Earthsea, ASOIAF, A Wheel of Time and many more. :angry:

All of these are good recommendations, and LOL as much as I love the Inheritance cycle, it is obviously that way. see above comment.

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

Do you like Stephen King? Also read Momo, it's quite good.

I've read under the dome by stephen king, but nothing else really Was a good book.

Funny enough, I read the Odyssey this year in high school.

On a somewhat related note, did anyone ever read a book out of a dare? To be honest, I only ended up reading Under the Dome when I saw it had like 1000 pages, and my health teacher said it'd take me over a month. I finshed reading it over the weekend end in 4 days, and that's because I had a lazy day for Saturday.

All of these are good recommendations, and LOL as much as I love the Inheritance cycle, it is obviously that way. see above comment.

I like Inheritance too, at least for Brom and the writing in the first book (definitely not for the "conlang" mess though). But it isn't original and it really does feel like a really well written alternative universe fanfiction of each of those titles. lol

@Starelementpoke

Carrie by Stephen King is a good read too.

Ah, cool! How did you like Odyssey?

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

I like Inheritance too, at least for Brom and the writing in the first book (definitely not for the "conlang" mess though). But it isn't original and it really does feel like a really well written alternative universe fanfiction of each of those titles. lol

@Starelementpoke

Carrie by Stephen King is a good read too.

Ah, cool! How did you like Odyssey?

It was pretty good, although I haven't met a book that I didn't think wasn't a good read. Mainly because I'm a 9th grader who has enough imagination to ride a scooter with the front wheel busted, waving around a plastic sword, pretending I'm in my own little fantasy world where I've fought Superman, Goku, Chuck Norris, and etc, and gotten enjoyment out of it for the past 5ish years, (give or give) all while in my backyard.

Inheritance Cycle

The Seven Realms (The Gray Wolf Throne)

The Martian (It was a book first, ya know)

The Fourth Stall

Warriors (I read the series first in 3rd grade and looking back, I realize how non-kid-friendly it is (It starts out pretty kid friendly but then a cats throat gets slit and other more mature themes enter the series))

Cherub

Divergent (the first book is ok)

The Roar

Artemis Fowl

Maximum Ride (Gets worse as the series goes on)

What if?

These are just he one on the top of my head, I will post more when they come up. I read a lot.

Hello there, fellow dark theme users

"Be excellent to each other and party on dudes." - Abraham Lincoln    #wiiumasterrace

On a somewhat related note, did anyone ever read a book out of a dare? To be honest, I only ended up reading Under the Dome when I saw it had like 1000 pages, and my health teacher said it'd take me over a month. I finshed reading it over the weekend end in 4 days, and that's because I had a lazy day for Saturday.

4 days?!?!? You can do better.... 

My average pace reading is ~100 pages per hour with funny stuff taking a bit longer, and rereads/YA books closer to 150 (see Harry Squatter and the Failures of Reasoning.)

Speaking of which... "Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality" is the best fan-fiction I have ever read and pretty damn good as an original work.

It's available online at hpmor.com (I'd recommend an e-reader with pdf), and while his work still has some failures of thought (mainly with his particular world view superimposed on the story), it's one of the best logic bounds available.

Additionally, "The Art of War" with annotations is something everyone should at least check out. Nothing spectacular, but it still isn't long either.

I can't believe I forgot to mention the D'artagnan Romances (Three Musketeers), which contrary to popular opinion today is neither bad nor a children's story...

Finally another thing I doubt many people here would mention is "la commedia divina" (Dante's Divine Comedy). Again in this case annotations are a must, and what translation you get matters a lot, but the Longfellow translation is generally held to be one of the greatest translations ever done into English.

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

Warriors (I read the series first in 3rd grade and looking back, I realize how non-kid-friendly it is (It starts out pretty kid friendly but then a cats throat gets slit and other more mature themes enter the series))

Fuck yeah I love that series. Still sad I don't have enough money to get the 3rd book in the (5th I think) series.

4 days?!?!? You can do better.... 

My average pace reading is ~100 pages per hour with funny stuff taking a bit longer, and rereads/YA books closer to 150 (see Harry Squatter and the Failures of Reasoning.)

Speaking of which... "Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality" is the best fan-fiction I have ever read, and pretty damn good as an original work. It's available online at hpmor.com (I'd recommend an e-reader with pdf), and while his work still has some failures of thought (mainly with his particular world view superimposed on the story), it's one of the best logic bounds available.

Hey, I took a lazy day. Also It was a summer after I had practically nothing good to read for like 2 years straight. It fell back to read reading Harry Potter, which is why I've read the series like 35 times.

Fuck yeah I love that series. Still sad I don't have enough money to get the 3rd book in the (5th I think) series.

I read all the books only because I tore apart libraries looking for them and bought a few. I also bought all of the special editions and they took up all the space on my shelves until my little cousin took them.

Hello there, fellow dark theme users

"Be excellent to each other and party on dudes." - Abraham Lincoln    #wiiumasterrace

Ready Player One. 

CPU: Intel i5-4590 | Motherboard: Asus H97M-E | GPU: Sapphire Nitro R9 390 | RAM: 2x4Gb Kingston HyperX Fury Black | SSD: Sandisk Plus 240Gb HDD: Seagate 250Gb  | PSU: Seasonic G650 80+ Gold | Case: NZXT S340

I am who I am.

nice work for such a boring book. :gets shot

I picked up A Dance with Dragons and everyone told me "It would take you a month at the least!" but I ended up reading it in two and I was sick with a massive migraine. lol

It was pretty good, although I haven't met a book that I didn't think wasn't a good read. Mainly because I'm a 9th grader who has enough imagination to ride a scooter with the front wheel busted, waving around a plastic sword, pretending I'm in my own little fantasy world where I've fought Superman, Goku, Chuck Norris, and etc, and gotten enjoyment out of it for the past 5ish years, (give or give) all while in my backyard.

lol that just means you'll find many books you like. That's not a bad thing. :P

Hey, I took a lazy day. Also It was a summer after I had practically nothing good to read for like 2 years straight. It fell back to read reading Harry Potter, which is why I've read the series like 35 times.

It's all good, just keep pushing yourself hahaha.

I only have about 10 reads of that series haha. I've had an e-reader for about 5 years now and while I still prefer physical books, I have well over 300,000 pages worth of books on the thing, and so even when I go into rereading mode (I'm currently re-reading Malazan Book of the Fallen), I no longer have to just go Artemis Fowl -> Harry Potter -> LotR -> Inhertance cycle -> repeat (obviously in each case only the books that were out) like I did as a kid.

Additionally, "The Art of War" with annotations is something everyone should at least check out. Nothing spectacular, but it still isn't long either.

I can't believe I forgot to mention the D'artagnan Romances (Three Musketeers), which contrary to popular opinion today is neither bad nor a children's story...

Another good historical fiction (and a bit more gritty then most of the books recommended elsewhere) is The Forgotten Legion by Ben Kane, dude really did his research (like insanely on point). Three books in the series, all worthwhile reads.

Finally, I doubt many people here would mention "la commedia divina" (Dante's Divine Comedy). Again in this case annotations are a must, and what translation you get matters a lot, but the Longfellow translation is generally held to be one of the greatest translations ever done into English.

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS