Firefox to phase out NPAPI plugin in 2016 except for Flash (death of Java on the web)

GoodBytes

Netscape Plugin API or NPAPI was created in the 90's as a way to have what we know today as web browser plugins.

This allowed to augment the web browsers with the ability to play more content. It allowed QuickTime, RealPlayer. Java and Flash amongst others to be part of the internet.

While they have all largely died except for Java applets and Flash, on it's own. Java is dying out of the web by itself due to its heavy weight, slow load time, and security issues. Google's Chrome started phasing out NPAPI support in April this year.

Mozilla Firefox web browser and Chrome amongst other web browsers uses that system to load plugins.

But, today, Mozilla has announced that it will join Chrome and Edge web browser in discontinuing supporting it starting in 2016, with no replacement plan.

They will keep Flash plug-in support, however, much like Edge web browser.

While HTML5 is growing, Flash remains with a string foot on the web. Some also prefers Flash for videos allowing them to use less bandwidth over HTML5, and use a more robust player for videos playback due to more time by sites to work on them while HTML5 player catches up.

Source: http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2015/10/firefox-dropping-npapi-plugins-by-the-end-of-2016except-for-flash/

The only issue, is that many banks sites still uses Java for some web applications it offers to users. Banks are usually extremely slow to adapt to new technologies, mostly due that it requires an investment which banks aren't willing to take as it would cut considerably on their profit margins, despite weaker security for themselves and bank users. Many banks still run on Windows XP for example. So you might need to fire up the old Internet Explorer for Java support for a few years if your bank didn't adapt by 2016-2017. Especially that Chrome follows in the same footsteps.

Java really does need to die on the web due to it's inherent slowness and security issues, along with most plugins, HTML5 is the future and google knows it.

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

Give me some scissors, I'll cut that string right now.

Wish it was that easy...

Is the title incorrect?

Anyway fucking great news and about time TBH.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

banks perfectly happy to invest money that isnt theres, loan money that isnt theres but spending there own money on infrastructure/system upgrades, fuck off

What does this mean for battlelog? 

I guess banks in other countries could learn from Norway here. Two years ago I think, when there were several cases with severe security issues in Java, Norwegian banks, together with the government (which also uses the same auth method) decided to create a new version of "BankID" based on HTML5, completely Java free. About a year ago banks started to use it, and for several months now the Java version has been completely gone, at least from the big banks and governmental pages. (I only have one bank, so I really can't speak for all of them, but I remember most of the big banks announcing last year that they were working on implementing/had implemented the new version)

Ryzen 7 5800X     Corsair H115i Platinum     ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi)     G.Skill Trident Z 3600CL16 (@3800MHzCL16 and other tweaked timings)     

MSI RTX 3080 Gaming X Trio    Corsair HX850     WD Black SN850 1TB     Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB     Samsung 840 EVO 500GB     Acer XB271HU 27" 1440p 165hz G-Sync     ASUS ProArt PA278QV     LG C8 55"     Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X Glass     Logitech G915      Logitech MX Vertical      Steelseries Arctis 7 Wireless 2019      Windows 10 Pro x64

Battlelog was updated not so long ago with a plugin-free alternative, still in beta though I think, but it should work fine (just try to use Battlelog in Chrome now, which already have blocked NPAPI)

Ryzen 7 5800X     Corsair H115i Platinum     ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi)     G.Skill Trident Z 3600CL16 (@3800MHzCL16 and other tweaked timings)     

MSI RTX 3080 Gaming X Trio    Corsair HX850     WD Black SN850 1TB     Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB     Samsung 840 EVO 500GB     Acer XB271HU 27" 1440p 165hz G-Sync     ASUS ProArt PA278QV     LG C8 55"     Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X Glass     Logitech G915      Logitech MX Vertical      Steelseries Arctis 7 Wireless 2019      Windows 10 Pro x64

If they don't change to a plug-in less solution (which they can), then you'll need to use IE in Windows. It is a good think it is still there in Windows 10.

I'm all in favor of Java's death but I see so many people crying that their Java based sites don't work anymore. Also if any of you want to see how many things will break when Java dies, get something like NoScript... Possibly I might have confused Javascript with actual Java but they are both pretty terrible from what I heard.

this sucks

ill just switch to a fork that has NPAPI

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

Killing Java master race.

One step forward to html5

Rig:Crimson Impaler | CPU: i3 4160 | Cooler: CM Hyper TX3 Evo | Motherboard: Asrock B85M - DGS | RAM: Kingston Hyper X Savage 16GB kit (2x8) DDR3 1600MHZ CL9 | GPU: Asus Radeon R7 360 | PSU: Corsair CX 430 V2 | Storage: HDD WD 1TB Blue | Case: Delux DLC-MG866

~Half the world is composed of idiots, the other half of people clever enough to take indecent advantage of them.~

I'm all in favor of Java's death but I see so many people crying that their Java based sites don't work anymore. Also if any of you want to see how many things will break when Java dies, get something like NoScript... Possibly I might have confused Javascript with actual Java but they are both pretty terrible from what I heard.

Java is not the same as Javascript :)

Javascript still works in Chrome.

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II