Nintendo joins Khronos Group

GoodBytes

Nintendo is now 126 years old, and still going strong.

Yesterday, officially, Nintendo has join The group of contributers that maintain and move forward OpenGL and soon Vulkan, called the The Khronos Group.

The Khronos Group has big players such as Nvidia, Microsoft, Epic Games, ARM, Sony, AMD, Nokia, Intel, Samsung, NEC, Broadcom, Qualcomm, and a many others.

OahU0f7.png

It would be interesting to see what will come from this. Better OpenGL implementation for making it easier for developers to develop games on its next home console? Or perhaps Vulkan support or both, or simply contribute to OpenGL/Vulkan here and there.

What do you think?

Source: http://mynintendonews.com/2015/09/22/nintendo-has-joined-khronos-group-as-a-contributor-member/

Nintendo emulators that natively support OpenGL? Want.

though probably unrealistic.

Off Topic, but the picture bothers me. It seems as if they lut big companies in the middle, but Google, IBM, Amazon, Microsoft ( THIS ONE REALLY BOTHERS ME, THEY OWN NOKIA :/ ) Sorry....

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe
(Rest of Specs on Profile)

Off Topic, but the picture bothers me. It seems as if they lut big companies in the middle, but Google, IBM, Amazon, Microsoft ( THIS ONE REALLY BOTHERS ME, THEY OWN NOKIA :/ ) Sorry....

No. Microsoft has only bought the phone devision of Nokia.

No. Microsoft has only bought the phone devision of Nokia.

I have been corrected.

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe
(Rest of Specs on Profile)

Wargaming is involved? *Dies in ecstasy*

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Nintendo emulators that natively support OpenGL? Want.

though probably unrealistic.

but this has nothing to do with emulators

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

but this has nothing to do with emulators

Sure it does! If Nintendo games ever start using OpenGL, it'll make them easier to emulate well!

Sure it does! If Nintendo games ever start using OpenGL, it'll make them easier to emulate well!

Nintendo already uses OpenGL. So does Sony actually. They both use modified versions however.

only the xbox uses DX  sony uses openGL, PSSL\PSGL and GNM/GNMX

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

Microsoft is a supporter of their competition's API, Vulkan? What?

I am conducting some polls regarding your opinion of large technology companies. I would appreciate your response. 

Microsoft Apple Valve Google Facebook Oculus HTC AMD Intel Nvidia

I'm using this data to judge this site's biases so people can post in a more objective way.

Texas Instruments? OPENGL CALCULATORS CONFIRMED!

On a more serious note, i'd like to announce that I too will be joining Khronos Group. Paste "MageTank" over top of those logo's.

On an even more serious note: Does this mean we might start seeing better optimized AAA titles on Nintendo consoles? If so, i'm totally down for that. I often felt Nintendo had the most enticing console offers anyways. When i think console gaming, i think family fun in the living room with friends/family. Not playing a single player game, over the net yelling at children who insinuate that they've fornicated with your mother. Games like that belong on the PC, where they can be enjoyed in your dark bedroom at a much better framerate and with higher details. No.... The Wii requires you to lure your most loved friends and family into a false sense of security, to have "fun" with you, while you slowly kill their feelings for you in a game of Mario Party.

Okay, i've went too far off topic. Sorry for that.

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

It's not like Vulkan and OpenGL don't work on Windows. MS also does not make money directly from DX, so it's not like they're supporting something that will take money away from them. Even if DX dies Windows will remain the dominate platform for a very long time and the chances of DX dying off anytime soon are fairly minimal.

No. They are part of the Khronos group so that they can have a say in webGL standards. Which they care about cause of ie/edge.

It's not like Vulkan and OpenGL don't work on Windows.

I don't think they have much choice. Industry people make a standard. The GPU guys make windows drivers to support it. The game devs make applications for it and then it works. I don't think they can prevent it short of locking down which drivers can be installed. There may be ways they can make it more difficult or less performant?

Inb4 we can run all the nintendo games natively on PC.

i7 4790K || R9 290X + R9 290 || 16GB G.Skill TridentX 1866 || Gigabyte Z97MX Gaming 5 || Crucial MX100 256GB || WD Caviar Blue 1TB

I hope Vulkan overtakes all the API's ever existed with all the people onboard.

With DX12 limited to w10, i hope Vulkan will make a stand against all api's and overtake em.

I doubt it. At least as far as I know, I've only heard that cpu emulation is where the demanding performance lies.

I don't know about other emulators, but dolphin supports opengl and has for quite a while I think. I don't think the graphics api matters too much.

Texas Instruments? OPENGL CALCULATORS CONFIRMED!

On a more serious note, i'd like to announce that I too will be joining Khronos Group. Paste "MageTank" over top of those logo's.

On an even more serious note: Does this mean we might start seeing better optimized AAA titles on Nintendo consoles? If so, i'm totally down for that. I often felt Nintendo had the most enticing console offers anyways. When i think console gaming, i think family fun in the living room with friends/family. Not playing a single player game, over the net yelling at children who insinuate that they've fornicated with your mother. Games like that belong on the PC, where they can be enjoyed in your dark bedroom at a much better framerate and with higher details. No.... The Wii requires you to lure your most loved friends and family into a false sense of security, to have "fun" with you, while you slowly kill their feelings for you in a game of Mario Party.

Okay, i've went too far off topic. Sorry for that.

That was beautiful 

Nintendo.....just port everything to PC already and stop wasting you money on consoles.

1. Make your games run on PC

2. Make your special gimmicky controllers work on PC

3. Profit

It's not like you would need a particularly powerful PC to run the games anyways.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Nintendo.....just port everything to PC already and stop wasting you money on consoles.

1. Make your games run on PC

2. Make your special gimmicky controllers work on PC

3. Profit

It's not like you would need a particularly powerful PC to run the games anyways.

Nintendo makes money on its console. They see themselves as a toy company, which is what Nintendo always way (cards then toy then electronic video game toys). You are asking Mattel which does Barbie to stop making the toy, and make clothes and accessories for other dolls.

Also, no one will buy the controller on PC.

PC Gaming is a very small market in Japan. It is mostly arcades and home console. Small, low powered console are historically favored in Japan.

Nintendo is very successful in Japan. So you are asking that they dump that market entirely, to HOPEFULLY make it up in North America. Not to mention that bringing the game on PC, will have increased piracy, and now no more income from sales of the console unit, which means that they need to sale way more than before just to compensate.

Nintendo makes money on its console. They see themselves as a toy company, which is what Nintendo always way (cards then toy then electronic video game toys). You are asking Mattel which does Barbie to stop making the toy, and make clothes and accessories for other dolls.

Also, no one will buy the controller on PC.

PC Gaming is a very small market in Japan. It is mostly arcades and home console. Small, low powered console are historically favored in Japan.

Nintendo is very successful in Japan. So you are asking that they dump that market entirely, to HOPEFULLY make it up in North America. Not to mention that bringing the game on PC, will have increased piracy, and now no more income from sales of the console unit, which means that they need to sale way more than before just to compensate.

Okay, revised plan

Continue making consoles that only sell very well in one country

Port games from that console to PC

Profit from diversifying your market coverage

As for piracy. Nintendo games are already "pirated" on PC, directly because there is no legal/legitimate way to get and play them on PC. Porting them to PC and creating a legitimate way to play Nintendo games like Legend of Zelda, Mario games, etc, can only cut down on said "piracy"

Bottom line, them focusing only on their console and mainly on Japan, might work for the moment, but it won't last forever. Eventually they will have to diversify.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs