Shinai - Antec P380 casemod [Done, done, done Jan 29, 2016]

InsolentGnome

Hi, my name's Dave/InsolentGnome.  This isn't my first log, but it is my first one on LTT, so I figured what better way to start in these forums than with my personal rig.

Shinai is a weapon used for practice and competition in kendo representing a Japanese sword.  The word "shinai" is derived from the verb shinau, meaning "to bend, to flex", and was originally short for shinai-take (flexible bamboo). Shinai is written with the kanji 竹刀, meaning "bamboo sword".

Let's start with the patient, Antec's P380

cKnTfN.jpg

TwA7EY.jpgW9T4RB.jpg0928Lg.jpg

It's really a nice case with a lot of room and good spots for cooling, but what sold me was the aluminum panel on the front.  I like the look.

First thing, time for some disassembly.  There's a little too much stuff in here.

uKsyE7.jpg

The cages have to go.  Luckily they're all screwed in, including the 5 1/4" bays.

yR0Clg.jpg

The top should have room for a 360mm rad with minimal modification.

vW9w8w.jpg

Same with the front.

OZ8w0H.jpg

There's a nice touch where you can swap what side your I/O panel is on.  I think I'll keep this functional.

ZYXOJc.jpg

Think I'll keep the front intake grill and screen functional too, since I'm planning on this being my daily driver.  There will definitely be some upgrades to the looks though.

pPdivS.jpg

So what, you might ask, am I putting in this nice big case?  Well, I'll tell you the plan so far...

Motherboard:  Asus Maximus VII Hero.  Very pretty.  

Fanik7.jpg

CPU:  Intel i7 4790K Devil's Canyon.  

a5dyqh.jpg

RAM:  16GB of 1866MHz Geil Veloce Enhance.  The gold is growing on me. wink.png

EDFALD.jpg

Drive:  480GB OCZ Vector 180 to start with.  I'd like to come up with two more of these bad boys.

zhEvCO.jpg

PSU:  Cooler Master V1200 Platinum.  Yeah, yeah.  Overkill, smoverkill. tongue.png

OIGSKP.jpg

That's the loadout for now.

But Gnome, why did you name your case after a bamboo sword???  To answer this, we need to start rapping.

My name is Gnome,

And I'm here to say,

I hope you're having,

A very nice day.

Wait, not rapping.  WRAPPING!

Start with two, nice hunky pieces of aluminum.  Or aluminium, whatever your flavor.

HdF3z2.jpg

Add in one large sheet of bamboo veneer.

887dWV.jpg

Slather them up with some glue.

3nD1Ia.jpg

Once it's all dry, iron the heck out of it, and you wind up with...

Q2oPwK.jpg

xk2BCw.jpg

ab9YCI.jpg

NhEi6f.jpg

While I was waiting for the glue to dry before the ironing, I managed to do some mock-ups as well.

qLqMyX.jpg

L3PqME.jpg

Now I have a nice little template for the back wall, floor, and PSU shroud, plus I can start to pull parts together for the loop.

Thanks for checking it out and stay tuned!

Current Project:  The Gunslinger - CM MasterCase5, Crimson King - CM MasterCase5, Twelve-80 - scratch build

Past Projects: SparkF3,  ShinaiScoutGiganteaRehab

Or catch me on social media: Insolent Gnome on the facepage or @Insolent_Gnome on the tweets or check out my InsolentMods website!

Looking good.....brown coolant too?

A water-cooled mid-tier gaming PC.

Looks nice. One thing though: how would the gold RAM look in black DIMM slots?

That bamboo is absolutely stunning. I would love to work with that in a future build. :D

- 4690K | Z97S KRAIT | AVEXIR RAIDEN | ASUS R9 390 | EKWB | FROZENQ | AIR 540 -

Sexy looking case!

Curves on that case is real nice.

Intel Core i3 2100 @ 3.10GHz - Intel Stock Cooler - Zotac Geforce GT 610 2GB Synergy Edition

Intel DH61WW - Corsair® Value Select 4GBx1 DDR3 1600 MHz - Antec BP-300P PSU

WD Green 1TB - Seagate 2.5" HDD 1TB - Seagate Barracuda 500GB - Antec X1 E.

Looking good.....brown coolant too?

Nah, red, but that will tie in later.

Looks nice. One thing though: how would the gold RAM look in black DIMM slots?

That Veloce would really stand out on a blacked out board or maybe an Asus Z97 with the gold-ish and silver accents.

Current Project:  The Gunslinger - CM MasterCase5, Crimson King - CM MasterCase5, Twelve-80 - scratch build

Or catch me on social media: Insolent Gnome on the facepage or @Insolent_Gnome on the tweets or check out my InsolentMods website!

That bamboo is absolutely stunning. I would love to work with that in a future build. :D

Thank you  :)

Sexy looking case!

Curves on that case is real nice.

Thanks.  Yeah the front and top panels are what sold me on it.

Looks good! I've never worked with bamboo veneer, how thick is it? Does it splinter as badly as regular bamboo plywood?

I hate to admit it but all of Antec's cases lately are complete trash unless you mod them. They have really lost their way as of late.

Looks good! I've never worked with bamboo veneer, how thick is it? Does it splinter as badly as regular bamboo plywood?

Couldn't tell you at the moment, not very thick though.  There are a few spots on the bends where a splinter or two popped out, but not really that bad.  I did use a solution that supposedly softens veneers up so they bend easier though.

I hate to admit it but all of Antec's cases lately are complete trash unless you mod them. They have really lost their way as of late.

This isn't that bad of a case.  There weren't any crazy, gotta have it features, but it's solid and has plenty of room in it.  And the aluminum panels are slick, too bad they only painted them black.  So much potential with those. 

-snip-

This isn't that bad of a case.  There weren't any crazy, gotta have it features, but it's solid and has plenty of room in it.  And the aluminum panels are slick, too bad they only painted them black.  So much potential with those.

its not a great case though. The build quality is poor compared to others and even their older cases. Their layouts could be better. I dont seems like their still living in 3-5 years ago with their designs.

IMHO the bamboo looks kinda out of place with the black finish of the case. If the thing was more of a silver/aluminum color, I think it would look better.

IMHO the bamboo looks kinda out of place with the black finish of the case. If the thing was more of a silver/aluminum color, I think it would look better.

Yeah, not gonna stay black, but I need to get all the fab work done before paint.  

Couldn't tell you at the moment, not very thick though.  There are a few spots on the bends where a splinter or two popped out, but not really that bad.  I did use a solution that supposedly softens veneers up so they bend easier though.

You may want to put some kind of finish on the veneer to protect it and help keep those fibers together. You can go with a water based finish or an oil based, though an oil based finish will give the veneer a slightly yellow hue to it without staining.

You may want to put some kind of finish on the veneer to protect it and help keep those fibers together. You can go with a water based finish or an oil based, though an oil based finish will give the veneer a slightly yellow hue to it without staining.

I was planning on lacquering it, maybe a polyurethane.  Still need to do some looking on that front but I have a lot more to fab before I start worrying about it.

I was planning on lacquering it, maybe a polyurethane.  Still need to do some looking on that front but I have a lot more to fab before I start worrying about it.

Lacquer would actually be pretty good for this build and shouldn't change the color of the wood too much. Lacquer is used a lot more in Japan than it is here in the States and would actually play into your theme very well. 

Looks very nice! Thumbs up for the GeiL RAM kit. You can't se them used that often in build logs these days! :)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 - 3900x @ 4.4GHz with a Custom Loop | MBO: ASUS Crosshair VI Extreme | RAM: 4x4GB Apacer 2666MHz overclocked to 3933MHz with OCZ Reaper HPC Heatsinks | GPU: PowerColor Red Devil 6900XT | SSDs: Intel 660P 512GB SSD and Intel 660P 1TB SSD | HDD: 2x WD Black 6TB and Seagate Backup Plus 8TB External Drive | PSU: Corsair RM1000i | Case: Cooler Master C700P Black Edition | Build Log: here

Looks very nice! Thumbs up for the GeiL RAM kit. You can't se them used that often in build logs these days! :)

Thanks.  I've never used GeiL before but I won them so I figured I'd put them to use.

Now that my last build is done and set up(cause we all need an i7 jukebox, right?), time to hit the ground running on Shinai!

First off, we got some more components in:

EK Supremacy block

hZLzK0.jpg

EK D5 with acrylic top

WEGZgw.jpg

Pair of Hardware Labs Black Ice 360 XFlow radiators

YoAZnj.jpg

And plugging things in to see how it's going to fit

O00Wyq.jpg

EWLUHg.jpg

T83Kbc.jpg

hP0Mg4.jpg

The radiators fit really well, with only a little bit of work to get some screw holes on the front rad to work.  Everything was looking peachy until I started to play around with pump placement.  Obviously with the acrylic top, I want to show it off, but with the way the XFlow on the front lays out, I'm not liking the tubing.  I could get it to work, but it wouldn't fit the look I'm going for, so I went back and ordered a standard Black Ice 360.  I know it will fit since it's a little shorter than a XFlow and I think the tubing will look a whole lot better.

After getting that figured out and working out some plans for the mb tray(unsurprisingly, I had to order stuff for that too), I decided to work on the outside of the case a bit.  I like the look, especially with the bamboo, but it needs a little more flair.  

Enter the perforated aluminum...

qSWznV.jpg

I decided that since the exterior panels have a side profile of brushed aluminum, I'd keep using aluminum for accent pieces.  So, time for some grills!

First off, we have to get rid of the slot stuff that Antec put in our way.

KZCsLq.jpg

eFQmyz.jpg

After some filing, on to the next step, hoping the aluminum piece we cut, fits.

R5B7ws.jpg

Once we get that all figured out, tap some holes

kJCquk.jpg

And voila!

QjEsLC.jpg

l1lCMI.jpg

And with the USB panel and exterior panels in place

IjKpuk.jpg

LJi2g3.jpg

Sorry about the overexposure on that one pic, dang!  Now I just need to decide what to do with the USB bracket.  I had thought about putting a piece of the aluminum on the blank side of the bracket, but now I'm leaning to covering both sides with some brushed vinyl film.  I'll save that for another update though.

Man i love how you did the bamboo wrapping on the outer panels, consider my abroad the hype train

attachicon.gifHype Train.jpg

Thanks!

What fans will you use? Will the GPU be watercooled as well? Nice build, especially the bamboo wrap. subbed!

NEED X58 BOARD WITH SATA3 ASAP

What fans will you use? Will the GPU be watercooled as well? Nice build, especially the bamboo wrap. subbed!

First off, thanks!  I've ordered some EK Vardars, the F3-120mm.  I've been using Corsairs for their looks and price, but these won't be out in the open like my previous builds so I'm looking for performance.  I'm planning for a pair of GPU's under water, but that's all going to depend on budgeting.  I might have to figure the second card as an upgrade path.

edit:  Nice!  I just saw your rig specs Andrew and I just got finished building a case for my i7-920 with the GA-X58-UD3R.

So, small update.  Been dying waiting on one piece of acrylic.  It's just about shut me down completely, but I've done some little pieces.

Firstly, my new radiator came in

d3Uyn1.jpg

This is going to make the hardlines nicer but,

4ciGRd.jpg

The hole spacing is just a bit off, so it wont be a direct bolt in.  This isn't a bad thing, as I can make a mounting panel for it that also cleans up the inside of the case.  

And speaking of cleaning up the inside of the case, I went ahead and cut a piece of aluminum for the floor

hOXpoD.jpg

I only took it back to the rails for the PSU filter because I'm hoping to be able to still use it.  Fingers crossed.

One more thing I could do while waiting for material was figure out a pump cover.  I thought about just ordering one, but where's the fun in that.  Plus, making my own allows me use materials that tie the case together.  In this case, the perforated aluminum.

First off, I made a ring out of the aluminum, pump sized

aB8LM5.jpg

The ring is held together by a solder joint on the bottom.  I did some homework about soldering aluminum together and let me say, I'd rather solder copper any day.  Although, with a few more tries, I'd probably get better with it.

KHy1je.jpg

After cleaning it up a bit.  Passable, but not pretty.  After a little filing and a little sanding though, I got what I was looking for.

SW0qjN.jpg

UXx8qd.jpg

Once all the mock up is done I can put a brushed finish on this bad boy and with some sleeving, I think it'll look great.