Intel plans to support VESA's Adaptive Sync

zMeul

source: https://techreport.com/news/28865/intel-plans-to-support-vesa-adaptive-sync-displays#metal

IDF — In a Q&A session this afternoon, I asked Intel Fellow and Chief Graphics Software Architect David Blythe about Intel's position on supporting the VESA Adaptive-Sync standard for variable refresh displays. (This is the standard perhaps better known as AMD's FreeSync.)

Blythe indicated that Intel is positively inclined toward standards-based solutions like Adaptive-Sync, and he said Intel does indeed plan to support this optional extension to the DisplayPort spec. However, Blythe wasn't yet willing to commit to a timetable for Intel enabling Adaptive-Sync support in its products.

The question of a timetable is complicated by whether Intel's GPU hardware will require an update in order to enable Adaptive-Sync capability. A source familiar with the matter has indicated to us that this feature is not present in current hardware, so in all likelihood, Adaptive-Sync support will have to wait until at least after the Skylake generation of products.

Supporting Adaptive-Sync would be a natural next step for Intel, whose integrated graphics processors stand to benefit tremendously from displays with a more forgiving and flexible refresh cycle. Intel's backing would also be a big boost for the Adaptive-Sync standard, since the firm ships by far the largest proportion of PC graphics solutions.

---

this shouldn't come at a surprise since Intel was already interested in AMD's MANTLE and asked them - AMD said no

the same goes for Adaptive Sync, but this time, it's a VESA standard and adopting it doesn't lay on AMD say so

with powerful enough IGPs and a "Free Sync" display, things could get interesting; the only hurdle remains the prices of said "Free Sync" displays - they aren't cheap, and the VRR window on some of them is just plain wrong

the market needs simple and cheap 1080p Adaptive Sync diplays

I remember people stating in another thread that this was not going to happen. 

Test ideas by experiment and observation; build on those ideas that pass the test, reject the ones that fail; follow the evidence wherever it leads and question everything.

Well duh. I thought we knew this back in May. One of the graphics VPs was discussing it.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

source: https://techreport.com/news/28865/intel-plans-to-support-vesa-adaptive-sync-displays#metal

---

this shouldn't come at a surprise since Intel was already interested in AMD's MANTLE and asked them - AMD said no

the same goes for Adaptive Sync, but this time, it's a VESA standard and adopting it doesn't lay on AMD say so

with powerful enough IGPs and a "Free Sync" display, things could get interesting; the only hurdle remains the prices of said "Free Sync" displays - they aren't cheap, and the VRR window on some of them is just plain wrong

the market needs simple and cheap 1080p Adaptive Sync diplays

i dont think amd said no to intel for using mantle. they told intel to wait until mantle came out of beta.

CPU amd phenom ii x4 965 @ 3.4Ghz | Motherboard msi 970a-g46 | RAM 2x 4GB Team Elite | GPU XFX Radeon HD 7870 DD | Case NZXT Gamma Classic | HDD 750 GB Hitachi | PSU ocz modxstream pro 600w

Good news everyone!

But alas I was seriously disappointed that Skylake igpu was nowhere near as powerful as Broadwell with iris 6200. I do hope they consider the 6200 for some of the i3 chips on Skylake that'd make for a killer low end gaming rig

-------

Current Rig

-------

Good news everyone!

But alas I was seriously disappointed that Skylake igpu was nowhere near as powerful as Broadwell with iris 6200. I do hope they consider the 6200 for some of the i3 chips on Skylake that'd make for a killer low end gaming rig

There are multiple iGPU SKUs. GT3/e and GT4/e will come to desktop later in the year or early 2016.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

There are multiple iGPU SKUs. GT3/e and GT4/e will come to desktop later in the year or early 2016.

Nice to hear, thanks for the heads up

-------

Current Rig

-------

Awesome and predictable news. Intel is still kinda useless for gaming, but a bit of Dota and so is very possible and should benefit nicely with Adaptive Sync.

I do however think this will mostly be used as a power savings feature.

This is incorrect. AMD would not grant access while Mantle was in beta. Mantle 1.0 was released about February in 2014, where Intel gained access then.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

Great, this might cause cheaper displays with adaptive-sync. I've always thought that adaptive-sync/G-sync belongs first of all on cheaper displays, since that is what people with less powerful computers will. 

Ryzen 7 5800X     Corsair H115i Platinum     ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi)     G.Skill Trident Z 3600CL16 (@3800MHzCL16 and other tweaked timings)     

MSI RTX 3080 Gaming X Trio    Corsair HX850     WD Black SN850 1TB     Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB     Samsung 840 EVO 500GB     Acer XB271HU 27" 1440p 165hz G-Sync     ASUS ProArt PA278QV     LG C8 55"     Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X Glass     Logitech G915      Logitech MX Vertical      Steelseries Arctis 7 Wireless 2019      Windows 10 Pro x64

and it never did

Sure it did - Intel accessed it via DX12 and Vulkan - hell most likely they still accessed it while still being Mantle. Just because they didn't have access to it in that point in time, doesn't mean they never accessed it.

Mantle was made to work on other IHVs hardware, AMD & Frostbite made it clear when they presented... why do you think it got such amount of traction?

So how would this work with Intel iGPUs and nVidia dedicated GPUs using Optimus? Adaptive Sync is active when the dGPU is disabled, and then it turns off when the dGPU is turned on for (heavy) gaming?

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

Intel supporting Adaptive Sync, which is not the same as Freesync, wont mean the death of Gsync as long as Nvidia still has a big enough share of the GPU marked.

After all, I cant remember the last time I saw a gaming pc using the GPU build into the CPU.

Is there even one that can run high requirement games?

I remember people stating in another thread that this was not going to happen. 

Indeed - many people were arguing that Adaptive-Sync, a VESA Standard, was essentially AMD Vendor Lock-in because AMD's FreeSync Driver was the only vendor to support it yet.

They argued the point to make it seem "Okay" that NVIDIA Vendor Locks people who buy G-Sync displays.

They argued that since AMD is the only one to support it, and Intel was likely to never support it, it was a de-facto vendor lock-in.

I'm glad to prove them wrong with this.

Open Industry Standards are good for consumers - there's still plenty of room to improve and refine the Adaptive-Sync standard, and bring the last remaining benefits of G-Sync over to Adaptive-Sync.

This is excellent news for consumers :)

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Intel supporting Adaptive Sync, which is not the same as Freesync, wont mean the death of Gsync as long as Nvidia still has a big enough share of the GPU marked.

After all, I cant remember the last time I saw a gaming pc using the GPU build into the CPU.

Is there even one that can run high requirement games?

There are millions of gamers who use the Intel iGPU - those who play LoL and DOTA and other games that aren't graphically demanding - sure it isn't Battlefield 4 or Sky Citizen, but they are gamers none the less.

FreeSync is only AMD's Driver-side implementation to support the Adaptive-Sync Open Industry Standard protocol.

It won't make G-Sync disappear overnight, but it should still help drive wider industry adoption of the standard, and should help put more pressure on NVIDIA to consider supporting it.

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

There are millions of gamers who use the Intel iGPU - those who play LoL and DOTA and other games that aren't graphically demanding - sure it isn't Battlefield 4 or Sky Citizen, but they are gamers none the less.

FreeSync is only AMD's Driver-side implementation to support the Adaptive-Sync Open Industry Standard protocol.

It won't make G-Sync disappear overnight, but it should still help drive wider industry adoption of the standard, and should help put more pressure on NVIDIA to consider supporting it.

and with the new skylake igpus getting better

and the generation after skylake i gpus Getting EVEN better.....

maybe the gen after sykale will have gpu preformace  like a 950

maybe the gen after sykale will have gpu preformace  like a 950

Certainly we're a long long way off from iGPU's giving us Mainstream or Performance grade graphics, but the power of the iGPU is increasingly making entry-level GPU's irrelevant.

Certainly we're a long long way off from iGPU's giving us Mainstream or Performance grade graphics, but the power of the iGPU is increasingly making entry-level GPU's irrelevant.

Wasn't skylake running gta 5 at low settings?

"double checking google"

I always though that most people had gaming PC's with dedicated GPU's, but guess not: http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey/videocard/

Indeed - many people were arguing that Adaptive-Sync, a VESA Standard, was essentially AMD Vendor Lock-in because AMD's FreeSync Driver was the only vendor to support it yet.

They argued the point to make it seem "Okay" that NVIDIA Vendor Locks people who buy G-Sync displays.

They argued that since AMD is the only one to support it, and Intel was likely to never support it, it was a de-facto vendor lock-in.

I'm glad to prove them wrong with this.

Open Industry Standards are good for consumers - there's still plenty of room to improve and refine the Adaptive-Sync standard, and bring the last remaining benefits of G-Sync over to Adaptive-Sync.

This is excellent news for consumers :)

This is great news for the consumer, even tho we are 2 apu generations out before seeing good performance at 1080p. At least a standard is being accepted and its something nvidia didn't want to happen. Also by intel accepting this standard. freesync will be around for a while. Win win if you ask me.   

Test ideas by experiment and observation; build on those ideas that pass the test, reject the ones that fail; follow the evidence wherever it leads and question everything.

great news for everyone probably will lower the price of g sync monitors

maybe the gen after sykale will have gpu preformace like a 950

The GT3e SKU for Skylake will already match the 950. The GT4e SKU will match the 960.

Wasn't skylake running gta 5 at low settings?

"double checking google"

Yes. GT2 is the only SKU out yet on desktop, with no edram. When GT3e and GT4e get here the 960 will have an iGPU match.

Yes. GT2 is the only SKU out yet on desktop, with no edram. When GT3e and GT4e get here the 960 will have an iGPU match.

Y...you're serious?! Really?

And how much do you think one of the CPUs with GT4e cost? And will it be possible to get them in laptops?

Edit: I forgot that Intel's most powerful iGPUs tend to be in laptops. And since there's supposedly a 50% improvement over Broadwell GT3e, wow...

Why is the God of Hyperdeath SO...DARN...CUTE!?

Also, if anyone has their mind corrupted by an anthropomorphic black latex bat, please let me know. I would like to join you.