Google makes its own 200$ wireless router - OnHub

GoodBytes

Google announces a new wireless router which the company claims to focus on simplicity.

And simplicity is just that... has 0 details on the product itself, beside that it is simple, and uses a phone app to communicate with it instead of "blinking lights" as they claim, ignore the fact that many routers do have software, some do have a phone app, and all have a web interface.

speaks_phone.png

If your are interested, Google sales it at $199 U.S

It's specs are:

IPQ8064 Dual Core 1.4GHz CPU, 4GB e-MMC flash, 1GB DDR3L RAM, 1x USB3.0 port, 3W speaker, Ambient light sensor (I guess). 6 color LED for indicating messages/status (there goes simplicity), Bluetooth 4.0, supports WPA2-PSK.

The router will be manufactures by TP-LINK.

It provides:

2.4 GHz wireless 802.11b/g/n 3x3 with "smart antenna"

5 GHz wireless 802.11a/n/ac 3x3 with "smart antenna"

And 2x 10/100/1000 Mbps (one for the modem, and the other for 1 computer)

Black_Side.0.jpg

Source: http://www.theverge.com/2015/8/18/9172523/google-router-announced-onhub

Source 2: https://on.google.com/hub/

10/10 would buy to help google monopolize internet industry.

bluetooth? could be intresting. Honestly its a good idea. lots of people are lost when it comes to setting up the internet and such. 

my question, why does it need a dual core and a gig of ram? how much processing dorouters do?

As someone working on an ISP, I am not opposed to a "stupid proof" router as a concept. However 200 it's just way too fucking much, it seems to me that they're trying to capture both the "simple" market and the power user simultaneously with the AC support. Most people won't pay 200 for a router no matter how simple it is.

-------

Current Rig

-------

But I guess the real question here is aside from simplicity, what makes this thing better than something else in the price range like say the WRT1900AC or the Nighthawk AC1900?

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

my question, why does it need a dual core and a gig of ram? how much processing dorouters do?

Maybe it is to monitor your internet activity.

It claims to support 128 device, which is standard stuff for 200$ routers. The idea is not have 128 devices, as they know you wont' have it, but it is that you have few but pushing network activity to really high amount without trouble. Like streaming game within your home network, while another plays 4K you tube videos, while someone else does network file transfer, and another plays Netflix, for example.

But I guess the real question here is aside from simplicity, what makes this thing better than something else in the price range like say the WRT1900AC or the Nighthawk AC1900?

Im wondering which version of ac it has? There's nothing on the page about it.

Hardware: Intel I7 4790K 4Ghz | Asus Maximus VII Hero Z97 | Gigabyte 780 Windforce OC | Noctua NH-U12P SE2 | Sandisk Extreme Pro 480GB | Seagate 500Gb 7200Rpm | Phanteks Enthoo Luxe | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | Noctua NF12 | SupremeFX 2014 | Patriot Viper 3 16GB.

Gaming Gear: Cooler Master TK Stealth | Sennheiser PC350SE | Steelseries Rival | LG IPS23L-BN ' 5ms | Philips Brillians 144hz 

google fiber, check.

google laptop, check

google router, check

google browser, check

google search, check

google drive, check.

post-41711-andy-samberg-boom-right-gif-j

"When you're in high school you should be doing things, about which you could never tell your parents!"

bluetooth? could be intresting. Honestly its a good idea. lots of people are lost when it comes to setting up the internet and such. 

many high end routers have dual cores

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

google fiber, check.

google laptop, check

google router, check

google browser, check

google search, check

google drive, check.

post-41711-andy-samberg-boom-right-gif-j

You forgot the Nexus phone and tablets.

-------

Current Rig

-------

guggl can haz fibr in uk pls?

DAYTONA

PROCESSOR - AMD RYZEN 7 3700X
MOTHERBOARD - ASUS PRIME X370-PRO
RAM - 32GB (4x8GB) CORSAIR VENGEANCE LPX DDR4-2400
CPU COOLING - NOCTUA NH-D14
GRAPHICS CARD - EVGA NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 980Ti SC+ ACX 2.0 w/ BACKPLATE
BOOT and PROGRAMS - CORSAIR MP600 1TB
GAMES and FILES - TOSHIBA 2TB
INTERNAL BACKUP - WESTERN DIGITAL GREEN 4TB
POWER SUPPLY - CORSAIR RM850i
CASE - CORSAIR OBSIDIAN 750D

I don't really like this kind of ads

while it serves it purpose it just doesn't fit the way they express it

internet failure happens all the time regardless your router is.

this is just excuse for crappy ISP to blame the router (which also most of time, was provided by them)

as for performance, with Dual Core & 1GB RAM, I do expect something great.

but as long as I live, nothing is never fail. if there's no indicator when the hardware is fail, how do you know it was failing because you also can't connect to it.

as someone already said, Switch software for addition is great, BUT hardware switch will always needed no matter what.

Also you might add its manufactured by TP-Link

Fedex Ground must be on Horse back, It took 7 days to go 200 miles

I would like benchmarks to see how it copes with extreme stress like for example under super heavy bittorrent and home servers. serious request.

Everything you need to know about AMD cpus in one simple post.  Christian Member 

Wii u, ps3(2 usb fat),ps4

Iphone 6 64gb and surface RT

Hp DL380 G5 with one E5345 and bunch of hot swappable hdds in raid 5 from when i got it. intend to run xen server on it

Apple Power Macintosh G5 2.0 DP (PCI-X) with notebook hdd i had lying around 4GB of ram

TOSHIBA Satellite P850 with Core i7-3610QM,8gb of ram,default 750hdd has dual screens via a external display as main and laptop display as second running windows 10

MacBookPro11,3:I7-4870HQ, 512gb ssd,16gb of memory

google fiber, check.

google laptop, check

google router, check

google browser, check

google search, check

google drive, check.

Microsoft Wifi, not yet

Windows laptop, check

Microsoft router, not yet

Microsoft browser, check

Microsoft search, check

Microsoft OneDrive, check

Microsoft phone, check

Microsoft tablet, check

Having problems with your fresh Windows 10 install? PM Me!
Windows 10- Want To Disable Telemetry, Disable Cortana, Disable Windows Updates? Look at my guide HERE
LTT Beginners Guide  | Community Standards | TN&R Posting Guidelines

Should have Google Fiber in the next year.  May as well just get Google everything.  My meta-data is going through Google either way!  :ph34r:

Now if they would just make one with Ethernet, that'd be great.

This. My first thought was want, but after seeing it had only two I was like "meh".

“I like being alone. I have control over my own shit. Therefore, in order to win me over, your presence has to feel better than my solitude. You're not competing with another person, you are competing with my comfort zones.”  - portfolio - twitter - instagram - youtube

Also you might add its manufactured by TP-Link

Really.. if that is the case, it might fall apart before you open the box, and maybe even built-in backdoor.

many high end routers have dual cores

I know, but when deciding on a router the one that was a step up from mine was 30$ more and had a quad core instead of a dual core(I believe, only diffrence was a stronger cpu). what difference does it make? 

I'm fine with my old desktop that I installed pfsense onto so I don't really see myself wanting to get a google (or any company's) router in the near future.