Used Graphics Cards Off Craigslist?

Froste

I was about to order my new pc  with the r9 390. But last minute I noticed a listing for a evga gtx 980 superclocked (with the reference cooler) for $370 on craigslist. My main questions are:

What are the risks associated with buying a used gpu, are they worth it?

What should I be wary of? 

How can I easily check to make sure the gpu doesnt have any issues? (tests)

What are the conditions with warrantees and changing hands of evgs gpu's... Just from a quick google search It looks like EVGA has an awesome warranty that doesnt void with changing hands, but can someone please confirm. (I already asked him for the serial number to check its warranty status online...)

This is my first time building a computer, and my introductory computer to pc gaming so I really dont want to mess things up... But at the same time this seems like a really good deal so any general advise about buying used gpu's is helpful :)

the gpu could be completely crapped out and i guess run a benchmark and see if the score is consistent with other similar gpus

i bough my GPU on craigslist. just make sure you can have the person test it there, and you should be fine

Recovering Apple addict

ASUS Zephyrus G14 2022

Spoiler

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 6900HS GPU: AMD r680M / RX 6700S RAM: 16GB DDR5 

Risk one: Seller does not have it.

Risk two: Buyer does not want to sell it anymore

Risk three: Seller does not show

Risk four: buyer shows takes your money and gives you nothing

Risk five: buyer shows takes all your money, car , and beats your ass and your screwed 

Risk six: you get the card and it doesn't work 

Risk seven: you stub your toe and drop the card and it falls into a gas can that tips over and drains out all over the floor and goes into a lit match and blows up your house. 

Payoff: A GTX 980 for the same price as a 970 

Risk one: Seller does not have it.

Risk two: Buyer does not want to sell it anymore

Risk three: Seller does not show

Risk four: buyer shows takes your money and gives you nothing

Risk five: buyer shows takes all your money, car , and beats your ass and your screwed 

Risk six: you get the card and it doesn't work 

Risk seven: you stub your toe and drop the card and it falls into a gas can that tips over and drains out all over the floor and goes into a lit match and blows up your house. 

Payoff: A GTX 980 for the same price as a 970 

Risk eight: the card is stolen and the police come knocking on your door

Risk nine: your sold a GeForce 9800 GTX with a GTX 980 cooler slapped onto it.

CPU: Intel i7 4790k @4.7ghz - RAM: HyperX Savage 16GB DDR3 Memory @2400mhz - GPU: Nvidia GTX 970 3.5GB @1500mhz - Mobo: Gigabyte Gaming 7 Z97 - Storage: Win10 on 240GB HyperX Predator m.2 SSD, - Ubuntu w/ Gnome 3 on 80GB OCZ Vertex 3 - 500GB Samsung 850 Evo Game Installs - 5TB mass storage - Monitor: 21:9 3440x1440 LG 34UM95 - PSU: Corsair RM 750w - Case: Silverstone FT01 - Cooling: Custom Water Loop

Risk eight: the card is stolen and the police come knocking on your door

Risk nine: your sold a GeForce 9800 GTX with a GTX 980 cooler slapped onto it.

Wont matter your house is gone form the fire.

Well this thread has taken a turn for the worse, apparently I have lost my graphics card as well as my house  :P

Isnt having a card shipped to me across the country that I cant test in person more of a risk? But if he is a really trusted forum member I would prefer the G1 over the EVGA.

Any idea if the warranty would void getting the used G1?

Isnt having a card shipped to me across the country that I cant test in person more of a risk? But if he is a really trusted forum member I would prefer the G1 over the EVGA.

Any idea if the warranty would void getting the used G1?

He has 5.5k posts on here and almost 700 likes so I doubt he would sell something that might hurt his rep. I'm sure he could send you a video of the card doing a benchmark or something along those lines to show it works. Craiglist seems like a much bigger risk IMO.

Also I'm fairly positive but I'm not absolutely sure, if he gives you the original purchase receipt or a copy of it the warranty would still alright.