Newegg POSSIBLY shipping open-box items as new

Sauron

I stumbled across this video from Carey Holzman and I figured it was worth bringing to the forum's attention, since I'm sure a lot of us rely on Newegg for our hardware addiction.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sW_ypPNpU8A //video has been removed since I posted

Accoriding to Holzman he just received an open-box product that was ordered as new from Newegg for the 6th time. Now, of course he orders a LOT of parts from Newegg and therefore he's much more likely to stumble into this sort of thing, but if it's true (I see no reason not to believe him, but we can never be sure) it's still very unprofessional by Newegg, especially towards their customers in the pc building industry like Holzman. Still, I have no experience with Newegg at all (they're not in my country) so I have no idea what the situation actually looks like.

Make of it what you will, I just wanted to get this out there.

-UPDATE-

The original video has been removed and replaced by this:

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Over quite a few companies just have a special deals section with the already opened stuff like demo products and stuff that got sent back or stuff with damaged packaging. You can always get a good deal and the stuff wil always work. A lot of the stuff wil even go for near retail prices when in auction. 

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."

Main rig:

i7-4790 - 24GB RAM - GTX 970 - Samsung 840 240GB Evo - 2x 2TB Seagate. - 4 monitors - G710+ - G600 - Zalman Z9U3

Other devices

Oneplus One 64GB Sandstone

Surface Pro 3 - i7 - 256Gb

Surface RT

Server:

SuperMicro something - Xeon e3 1220 V2 - 12GB RAM - 16TB of Seagates 

Happens all the time here.

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

full atx case 

i7 

430w psu and no gpu  :blink:

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

I think im getting ripped of in my country on some of my purchases, many of them seem new, smell new but they just dont come in sealed boxes, i wouldnt be surprised if newegg would do that at all.

I think im getting ripped of in my country on some of my purchases, many of them seem new, smell new but they just dont come in sealed boxes, i wouldnt be surprised if newegg would do that at all.

Some vendors in my country open the boxes to check if the product works before sending it. (to save on possible returns, I'm not mad)

They don't do that of course if packaging is impossible to return to good looking state, like that heat shrink on psu, they won't remove that.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

In the state of Ca a returned item that is complete and working order all parts there can be resold as new. If it were a socketed item that has contacts it is different.

It depends on how they define it. Have you ever checked out Ebay's conditions definitions? Acording to Ebay this is

"

New: Never used

A new, unused item with absolutely no signs of wear. The item may be missing the original packaging, or in the original packaging but not sealed. The item may be a factory second or a new, unused item with defects. See the seller's listing for full details and description of any imperfections."

Not saying I agree with selling a product as new if this isn't defined though.

Over quite a few companies just have a special deals section with the already opened stuff like demo products and stuff that got sent back or stuff with damaged packaging. You can always get a good deal and the stuff wil always work. A lot of the stuff wil even go for near retail prices when in auction. 

sure, but the problem here is that it was advertised and priced the same as the new one.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

I bought all of the parts of my PC from newegg :o I hope people start bashing newegg so this doesn't happen again! ATLEAST SOMEONE WITH HAS 100K SUBS BROUGHT IT TO  THE PUBLICS ATTENTION!

MOTHERBOARD: some Asus motherboard CPU: I3-4130 GPU: Gigabyte(?) GT-1030 RAM: 8GB G.SKILL SNIPER 1600MHZ RAM + 4GB AMD ram PSU: Corsair CX450 CASE: Corsair Spec-03 OS: Win 10 64 bit Keyboard: Logitech G510s Mouse: Corsair G300s Camera: Canon EOS Rebel T5
I like outdoor warning sirens. Ask me anything about them.

sure, but the problem here is that it was advertised and priced the same as the new one.

yeah exactly, that is why how the companies here do it much better. Pretending that it is a new product is just evil ofc

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."

Main rig:

i7-4790 - 24GB RAM - GTX 970 - Samsung 840 240GB Evo - 2x 2TB Seagate. - 4 monitors - G710+ - G600 - Zalman Z9U3

Other devices

Oneplus One 64GB Sandstone

Surface Pro 3 - i7 - 256Gb

Surface RT

Server:

SuperMicro something - Xeon e3 1220 V2 - 12GB RAM - 16TB of Seagates 

Doesn't have to be a gaming pc does it? ;)

yes, but why would you go for that huge case if you don't even have gpu, not even 3.5 hdd  :mellow:

Spoiler

Some vendors in my country open the boxes to check if the product works before sending it. (to save on possible returns, I'm not mad)

They don't do that of course if packaging is impossible to return to good looking state, like that heat shrink on psu, they won't remove that.

Yeah, but the website im buying from usually its a respected one and they have a special service for testing electronics which i have to pay for, yet sometimes boxes just arent sealed, happened with my Gtx 670, which also turned out to have no OC potential at all which pissed me off(almost everyone on forums got 100-200mhz extra), wondered if someone selected those out for some reason.

Same with my monitor unsealed, had a dead pixel in the middle, my mechanical keyboard unsealed started to act weird not functioning sometimes just goes dead, if i send them back they reject them since they "work" so i feel im getting scammed really bad over here, altough all products seemed brand new unused, without the sealed box i dont trust them anymore.

NCIX does not do that... They organises special sale for those///

In the state of Ca a returned item that is complete and working order all parts there can be resold as new. If it were a socketed item that has contacts it is different.

I think NCIX does this right with Ncix Outlet.

"New other (see details): A new, unused item with absolutely no signs of wear. The item may be missing the original packaging, or in the original packaging but not sealed. The item may be a factory second or a new, unused item with defects. See the seller’s listing for full details and description of any imperfections." 

then gives a semi detailed discription if nothing or anything is wrong, whats included or whats not and even if the product shows details of being handled before. 

I don't know about other states but atleast something as simple as this for that single product is a big big difference.

Computing enthusiast. 
I use to be able to input a cheat code now I've got to input a credit card - Total Biscuit

yes, but why would you go for that huge case if you don't even have gpu, not even 3.5 hdd  :mellow:

Price and reliability I suppose. If the customer doesn't care about size, or is thinking of adding stuff in the future, it's a good case for the money. Smaller cases are not particularly cheap unfortunately.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Price and reliability I suppose. If the customer doesn't care about size, or is thinking of adding stuff in the future, it's a good case for the money. Smaller cases are not particularly cheap unfortunately.

motherboards are cheaper  :)

Spoiler

motherboards are cheaper  :)

Buit usually you do loose some features, or spare around 10 bucks. It all depends on what the exact pricing of the stuff was (bare in mind as a builder he has to put his warranty on this thing, so he's willing to spend a little bit more for the sake of having less headaches in the future).

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

This worries me if true or common practice for them. I never had any problem in the past on little things. I plan on ordering $1700 worth of parts from Newegg soon for my build, everything except the i7-4790K which I can get for only $280 at Micro Center plus tax. Are NCIX prices/shipping generally on par with Newegg?

I always buy from Ebay. Not only that you get better customer support, but you can rate the seller.

EVGA SR-2 / 2x Intel Xeon X5675 4.4Ghz OC / 24GB EEC 1800Mhz OC/ AMD RX570 / Enermax Evoliution 1050W / Main RAID 0: 2x256GB 840EVO SSD / BackUp(1) Raid 5: 3x2TB WD HDD / BackUp(2) 8x2TB / Dell U2412M / Dell U2312HM

Yeah like MOBO pins. When I bought my parts in person at Canada Computers the MOBO boxes are not sealed and they check with you if any pins are broke or not before selling. Maybe they do that to for online.

I always buy from Ebay. Not only that you get better customer support,

but you can rate the seller.

You buy from people, I wouldn't super trust that. And how do people get new stuff to sell.