FINALLY got my Gigabyte G1 980 Ti! It's heavy, hot, fast, overclocks real well and loud. *pics & vid*

Arct1c0n

Well, after ALL this waiting and back ordering, I FINALLY got my Gigabyte 980 Ti and running! My initial impressions.

1. Damn, i'm amazed at how "Smaller" it is to my Asus strix 980. Mainly due to the Gigabyte using 80mm fans and my Asus uses 95 mm fans, so the Asus is "taller" but the Gigabyte is "longer"
2. Its hefty and beefy all around, no wussy GPU this is!
3. The 80mm fan do cool, but it comes at a noise price. Beyond 60% fan speed using Afterburner, the noise jumps up considerably. Its a tradeoff for the smaller fans vs larger fans like my Strix 980
4. Fuck, my card does have some coil when at very high framerates during menu's at high framerate but its not real loud, but I can hear it
if I get up close.
5. The heat coming from this card on load is insane!

cfUDdjP.jpg

W3BIKKU.jpg

nROTG5a.jpg

zj1mFDQ.jpg

I did a real time video sound test comparison of the fan speeds starting from 40% and working my way up in 10% so you can hear for yourself. My 980 Strix never got this loud.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pAILvRdtP6s

Here is a rough FRAPS benchmark I did on Whitcher 3 with no AA, no hairworks at 1440p. I walked around with Gerald a bit and then ran with a horse on a pathway each time. My STRIX 980 was overclocked to 1470 and the 980ti was at its default overclock speed and then I pushed it to about 1514 mhz on the core at 130% power

I7tSIho.jpg

7h7JAo1.jpg

VhBmqOk.jpg

The menu based coil whine, set in MSI OSD a framecap of 200fps (or whatever, but less than the menu's get)

Sweet results, esp the 980OC>Stock980Ti

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

Yeah heat and noise would be an issue... there's a sizeable increase to power draw going from the 970 and 980 to the 980 Ti and Titan X.

Intel i5-4690K @ 3.8GHz || Gigabyte Z97X-SLI || 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws X 1600MHz || Asus GTX 760 2GB @ 1150 / 6400 || 128GB A-Data SX900 + 1TB Toshiba 7200RPM || Corsair RM650 || Fractal 3500W

That is really loud at max fan speed, but I doubt it's necessary anyway.

Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow; Motherboard: MSI ZZ490 Gaming Edge; CPU: i7 10700K @ 5.1GHz; Cooler: Noctua NHD15S Chromax; RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 32GB 3200MHz; Graphics Card: Asus RTX 3080 TUF; Power: EVGA SuperNova 750G2; Storage: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 1TB; Crucial M500 240GB & MX100 512GB; Keyboard: Logitech G710+; Mouse: Logitech G502; Headphones / Amp: HiFiMan Sundara Mayflower Objective 2; Monitor: Asus VG27AQ

Yeah heat and noise would be an issue... there's a sizeable increase to power draw going from the 970 and 980 to the 980 Ti and Titan X.

Yeah, my UPS is now sounding a "overdraw" alarm since putting in the 980 Ti, that has NEVER happened before.

Jesus that's loud as f!@#. That sounds like my 8800GT.

Strange delayed post here..... Oh well. I had 2 things to say.

Jesus..... I think I like taller, bigger, quieter fans. Screw that 3 fan loudness.

What wattage power supply are you using, and how long did you have to wait?

I am looking into a 980 Ti pretty heavily

CPU: Intel Core i7 8700k CPU Cooler: Corsair Hydro Series H100i Mobo:  Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X 32GB 2133 Storage #1: 1TB 850 EVO SSD Storage #2: Western Digital Black 2TB Storage #3: Western Digital Green 4TB GPU: Gigabyte 980 Ti G1 Case: Mastercase5 PSU: EVGA 750 W G2 80+Gold Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB Cherry MX Brown Mouse: Razer Deathadder Elite Monitor: LG 34UM94 Headset: Bose

Phone: Samsung Galaxy S9

Yeah, my UPS is now sounding a "overdraw" alarm since putting in the 980 Ti, that has NEVER happened before.

Can't handle your 1337mlg360scopenopedopeextrasweg420m4g1cp0w3r5?

Can't handle your 1337mlg360scopenopedopeextrasweg420m4g1cp0w3r5?

Uhhh ok. Nope its just beyond the wattage rating now I guess

What wattage power supply are you using, and how long did you have to wait?

I am looking into a 980 Ti pretty heavily

I'm using Corsair AX860 and its handle it just fine. But my UPS on the other hand, is really mad about this 980ti lol.

which UPS do you have?  my cyberpower 1000va gets angry when I print something with my HP color laser printer.

which UPS do you have?  my cyberpower 1000va gets angry when I print something with my HP color laser printer.

And older refurbed APC

Hmmm, I've decided im gonna charge a MSI Gaming 980Ti and compare it to the Gigabyte as i'm really not happy with how the Gigabyte looks in my case. Yes, I am that vain

I've got 1500mhz out of my reference card, turbos to 1600mhz, that's at 100% power.

haven't gone any further as it was hitting 87c at 65% fan speed. I know I could have ramped up the fan but it became rather loud!

Gaming PC: • AMD Ryzen 7 3900x • 16gb Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3200mhz • Founders Edition 2080ti • 2x Crucial 1tb nvme ssd • NZXT H1• Logitech G915TKL • Logitech G Pro • Asus ROG XG32VQ • SteelSeries Arctis Pro Wireless

Laptop: MacBook Pro M1 512gb

@ above me. Damn you won lottery there shit.

Btw this is one of the major reasons I'm probably going to go msi 980ti for this generation in all high end builds I do.

almost as good overclocking headroom while being 1000x quiter. Like listen to jayz video and note that he did a full speed test and it wasn't even that loud on an open bench.

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

Loud as fuck....certainly.What Case are you using?

Loud as fuck....certainly.What Case are you using?

CoolerMaster HAF XB Evo

CoolerMaster HAF XB Evo

thanks I have been looking for this case.

jeezus, that's nearly reference r9 290x loud. sound like your driving next to a semi. I wonder if the g1 980 is that loud because I've been considering one.

The 980 ti and titan x are loud hot cards. So much for all the 290x space heater jokes. Good thing u live in montana. Save yourself some on the winter heating bill.

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700x,  MOBO: ASUS TUF X570 Gaming Pro wifi, CPU cooler: Noctua U12a RAM: Gskill Ripjaws V @3600mhz,  GPU: Asus Tuf RTX OC 3080 PSU: Seasonic Focus GX850 CASE: Lian Li Lancool 2 Mesh Storage: 500 GB Inland Premium M.2,  Sandisk Ultra Plus II 256 GB & 120 GB

Returning the Gigabyte after testing and usage. It's just too noisey to keep cool at higher overclocks and I'm not fond of the design after seeing it up close

Waiting 8 more days for mine to arrive...  <_< I thought it never needed to go over 70% (fan speed), even overclocked ?

That's no moon, that's a death ball !
K'Nex Server -- R9 290 Alpenföhn Peter Review -- Philips BDM4065UC Review
CPU Intel i5-4760K @ 4.3Ghz MEM 4x 4GB Cucial Ballistix 1600 LP MOBO Asus Maximus VI Gene GPU 980Ti G1 @ 1.47Ghz SSD 3x Samsung 840 EVO 240GB Raid0 CASE Silverstone SG10 DISPLAY Philips BDM4065UC 40" UHD