FINALLY got my Gigabyte G1 980 Ti! It's heavy, hot, fast, overclocks real well and loud. *pics & vid*

Arct1c0n

Really enjoyed this post. Great information here.

Intel Core i7-5930K | Noctua NH-D15S | ASUS X99-M WS | 32GB (4 x 8GB) G.Skill Ripjaws V 2666MHz | MSI GeForce GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6G | Samsung 850 Pro 512GB | Seasonic 660XP2 | Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV

LG 34UM95-P w/ Ergotron MX  | O2/ODAC | Audioengine A5+ w/ AS8 | Sennheiser HD 598 | Ducky Shine 3 | Cooler Master Storm Spawn

This card's overclock capabilities seem really impressive. I've done more fiddling with mine, and I managed to get it to a stable 1516 mhz (with 250 added to the memory clock speed as well) by increasing the voltage by 41 mv. Under full load (Heaven) for about 30 minutes it never got past 66 C. It also only got up to about 93% tdp. And my voltage ended up at about 1.22. It seems that GPU boost keeps going up as I increase the voltage because at stock voltage my +150 in precision x only yielded 1491. Now with more voltage that bumped itself up to 1516. Since the temps are still so low, I'm hoping that the extra voltage won't have any negative repercussions. I've seen people recommend this card to be overclocked at 1.28-1.31 any way, so I'm still below that.

won't these extreme OCs'  shorten the life and ruin your video cards in the process?

Theoretically, yes.

But we're talking 10 years instead of 15 years.

4K // R5 3600 // RTX2080Ti

Yeah heat and noise would be an issue... there's a sizeable increase to power draw going from the 970 and 980 to the 980 Ti and Titan X.

you peasants talk of power draw.

you could take a 970, 980 and 980TI AND a titan in the same system, and even then, they would equal my ONE R9 295x2 + FX 8320 OCd to 4.52 GHz in load....

Dont you Nvidia people talk about LOAD. you have no clue what proper power consumption is, you never will.

Well, after ALL this waiting and back ordering, I FINALLY got my Gigabyte 980 Ti and running! My initial impressions.

1. Damn, i'm amazed at how "Smaller" it is to my Asus strix 980. Mainly due to the Gigabyte using 80mm fans and my Asus uses 95 mm fans, so the Asus is "taller" but the Gigabyte is "longer"

2. Its hefty and beefy all around, no wussy GPU this is!

3. The 80mm fan do cool, but it comes at a noise price. Beyond 60% fan speed using Afterburner, the noise jumps up considerably. Its a tradeoff for the smaller fans vs larger fans like my Strix 980

4. Fuck, my card does have some coil when at very high framerates during menu's at high framerate but its not real loud, but I can hear it if I get up close.

5. The heat coming from this card on load is insane!

cfUDdjP.jpg

W3BIKKU.jpg

nROTG5a.jpg

zj1mFDQ.jpg

I did a real time video sound test comparison of the fan speeds starting from 40% and working my way up in 10% so you can hear for yourself. My 980 Strix never got this loud.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pAILvRdtP6s

Here is a rough FRAPS benchmark I did on Whitcher 3 with no AA, no hairworks at 1440p. I walked around with Gerald a bit and then ran with a horse on a pathway each time. My STRIX 980 was overclocked to 1470 and the 980ti was at its default overclock speed and then I pushed it to about 1514 mhz on the core at 130% power

I7tSIho.jpg

7h7JAo1.jpg

VhBmqOk.jpg

why dont u use liquid cooler like corsair h110 ? 

why u use air tower cooling instead of liquid in that kind of system=?

Maybe he doesn't like to deal with Water issues like leaking and stuff. I personally never trust it and would rather stick with air.

I am still floored at how much heat that 980Ti gigabyte put out compared to my 980,  My entire computer turned into a blast furnace last night when I had that GIgabyte running and overclocked on whitcher 3 at 1514mhz core,

I couldn't believe how much more heat it was putting out, my temps even at 70% fan were 75c at one point before the overclock failed and the GPU crashed to desktop. At that speed, the noise is unacceptable to me, so its going back to newegg which refused to give me a refund, so i'm stuck with store credit.

I mean i'd refuse too... 1514 is really high and the card only makes promises on stock speeds. 

Intel 4790 K - R9 295X2 - Gigabyte Z97-SLI - Corsair Vengeance Pro Black 1866 CAL9 - Corsair HX 1000 -Samsung 850 EVO SSD - Samsung HDD - H100I - Corsair C70 - G400 Logitech - Asus VS247H - WASD custom mechanical and QCKPAD! 

Staples of LTT: Getting an 4690 K will resurrect your lost family members, AMD = More heat thus AMD = Satan. 

That's weird. Mine hits those same clock speeds--with a fair bit of extra voltage--and never gets past 66C under constant 99% load.

Sorry dude I couldn't hear your graphics card at all - some clown started using a Dyson at the back there - right in the middle of you doing your video.

That's some inconsiderate shit.

(Seriously though I was holding out for a G1 980ti but boy am I glad I didn't now - my MSi 980Ti already adds heat and noise that I'm uncomfortable with, I couldn't hack that stuff the G1 puts out. I agree with your call to return it.)

So... i'm getting the Msi 980TI instead of this after all.

By the way, try turning this 3 things off in Witcher 3 and you will get 20-30FPS more.

HBAO to off

Shadows to low

Foliage draw distance to low

Before 35FPS @ 1440P

c4Sswif.jpg

After 55FPS:

JtLMyq5.jpg

Open your eyes and break your chains. Console peasantry is just a state of mind.

MSI 980Ti + Acer XB270HU 

Hmmm? I get 60 FPS in Witcher 3 with everything on ultra @ 1440p.

Foliage draw distance also looks terrible in that bottom screenshot.

Everything ulttra + Hairworks (60 FPS)

Bq5JAhm.jpg

First thing I'd do to get back some frames is disable Hairworks.

Sorry dude I couldn't hear your graphics card at all - some clown started using a Dyson at the back there - right in the middle of you doing your video.

That's some inconsiderate shit.

(Seriously though I was holding out for a G1 980ti but boy am I glad I didn't now - my MSi 980Ti already adds heat and noise that I'm uncomfortable with, I couldn't hack that stuff the G1 puts out. I agree with your call to return it.)

Yeah, im waiting for the STRIX 980Ti as it looks to be using triple 90mm fans which in theory shouldn't have to spin too fast for good cooling.  The Gigabyte used 80mm fans

Hmmm? I get 60 FPS in Witcher 3 with everything on ultra @ 1440p.

Foliage draw distance also looks terrible in that bottom screenshot.

Everything ulttra + Hairworks (60 FPS)

Bq5JAhm.jpg

First thing I'd do to get back some frames is disable Hairworks.

No shit, I now get 85-90 FPS because I just got my 980Ti. Those screenshots were made on R9 290.

Open your eyes and break your chains. Console peasantry is just a state of mind.

MSI 980Ti + Acer XB270HU 

No shit, I now get 85-90 FPS because I just got my 980Ti. Those screenshots were made on R9 290.

If your downgrading your visuals even after spending the cash on a 980Ti, your doing it wrong. 

fucking hell when them fans were at 100% it sounded like a jet engine 

My speakers dont even fit on or under my desk...PA's FTW

Yeah, its one reason I sent it back along with the coil whine and strong armed newegg eventually to giving me a refund, not damn store credit

If your downgrading your visuals even after spending the cash on a 980Ti, your doing it wrong. 

Actually YOU are downgrading your visuals by playing with more trees and less FPS  :D

MSI 980Ti + Acer XB270HU 

Actually YOU are downgrading your visuals by playing with more trees and less FPS  :D

Uh, as long as it remains close to 60fps as my new 1440p monitor is only 60 hertz, no. 

Uh, as long as it remains close to 60fps as my new 1440p monitor is only 60 hertz, no. 

Well yeah, I got a Acer XB270HU which is 1440P 144hz....

MSI 980Ti + Acer XB270HU 

My Msi 980Ti is super quiet @ 100%, I had a R9 290 Tri-X and that was a engine at 100%.

So I don't recommend the Gigabyte G1 either...

MSI 980Ti + Acer XB270HU 

So without the OC, what was your typical fan speed percentage when gaming?

At 70% and above its crazy loud, but 50% doesn't seem horribly bad, and if it keeps it in the low 70s and below that's acceptable. In fact anything in the 70s is still decent. Id take 78C temps if if it kept it around 30% fan speed.

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700x,  MOBO: ASUS TUF X570 Gaming Pro wifi, CPU cooler: Noctua U12a RAM: Gskill Ripjaws V @3600mhz,  GPU: Asus Tuf RTX OC 3080 PSU: Seasonic Focus GX850 CASE: Lian Li Lancool 2 Mesh Storage: 500 GB Inland Premium M.2,  Sandisk Ultra Plus II 256 GB & 120 GB