Quick bits

hiyayhi

So I was watching an archive of one of the more recent WAN shows, just to catch up on things, and I got to the part about how Linus and Luke often have trouble with getting info to us that they think is cool but will only take 30 seconds to explain or show off.

I have two main ideas for this and I want to know what you guys think.

Firstly they could make a series dedicated to "Quick bits" (doesn't have to be called this just what rung a bell in my head.) in which there can be videos with no intro and that take only 30 seconds to a minute long. The problem with this is that people are still going to complain about a 30 second ad on a 30 second video. So I wanted to think of a way to get this info across without the ads.

The way that I thought of getting past this issue is to have a stickied thread in linus videos and ramblings that nobody except the LMG team can edit and which only gets updated with a new post each time someone at LMG wants to show off something cool but its too short for a video. This way, people can follow the thread to get updates and will be able to get their fill of 30 second interesting stuff.

I'm sure there are some kinks to get rid of in this but it's just an idea. I'll tag some of the LMG guys, maybe they'll think my ideas aren't too stupid.

@Slick @nicklmg @LinusTech

The first step to insanity is believing in your sanity.

https://www.youtube.com/user/Techquickie

Not necessarily show and tell, but it is quickj tech stuff. 

the issue is, a 3 minute video will take HOURS (if not days) to prepare, Shoot, Edit etc. So if anything was done, It would be a weekly archive or Vlog - which is essentially the WAN show already. 

D3SL91 | Ethan | Gaming+Work System | NAS System | Photo: Nikon D750 + D5200

If you really want to do something quick, it needs to be more vlog style. No quality, no editing. Just quick video and upload. Linus could use FB for it only.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

-snip-

This is what "Fast As Possible" was intended as. 30-60 second videos about a topic. Unfortunately that just isn't sustainable as most topics take WAY longer than 60 seconds to even get a basic grasp of.

Also, like you said, ads are an issue on that type of content.

Stickied forum thread is a cool idea, but I feel like having one thread that's just a jumble of random tips & tricks wouldn't be all that productive since the search function is currently so terrible. Maybe when we get the new forum software running.

the issue is, a 3 minute video will take HOURS (if not days) to prepare, Shoot, Edit etc. So if anything was done, It would be a weekly archive or Vlog - which is essentially the WAN show already. 

Pretty much this... Any length of video takes MUCH longer to create than it does to watch, no matter how simple it may seem. Even WAN Show - 8-10 man hours minimum goes into prep.

If you really want to do something quick, it needs to be more vlog style. No quality, no editing. Just quick video and upload. Linus could use FB for it only.

1. Vlog style content isn't sustainable anymore unless it's already established. There's just too much of it out there now. If we're investing in new IPs (even if that investment is only time) we want to invest in IPs that have potential for sustainable growth in the long term.

2. Facebook video, while great for sharing, doesn't have a great archive system from what I've seen. Maybe as the platform evolves it will get better.

Quick bits is NCIX Anthony's name for the 30 second things at the end of their netlinked thing. A thread would be the best idea as it takes very little time to do  (compared to a video). The best way to do it (in my opinion)  is have a thread for them to share links to cool things. Maybe even allow  forum members to post there too.