i3 vs i5

Go to solution Solved by Ertman,

While the i3 is still capable, as we move towards better/more multithreaded optimized games, the extra cores will become more beneficial and eventually necessary. If you can afford it, the i5 will be the better buy. If it's not affordable now, you can upgrade later.

Will the i3 be able to handle the latest games or do I have to pay $100 more for an i5?

Both will handle new games, but the i5 will perform better as it has two more cores over the i3.

Will the i3 be able to handle the latest games or do I have to pay $100 more for an i5?

Depends on what games but if you are really into games like GTA V and stuff like that, The i3 won't cut it.

Depends on what games but if you are really into games like GTA V and stuff like that, The i3 won't cut it.

I have watched some videos on youtube playing gta v using an i3 processor; it seems playable. The games I will be playing would be Batman Arkham Knight, shall I wait to see people playing it on an i3?

While the i3 is still capable, as we move towards better/more multithreaded optimized games, the extra cores will become more beneficial and eventually necessary. If you can afford it, the i5 will be the better buy. If it's not affordable now, you can upgrade later.

If you have the chance to get the I5 then I would get it but if you can't then get the I3 and then you might be able to upgrade later down the line.

An AMD cpu has no place in a solely gaming build, end of.

I3 4150, Intel HD graphics, corsair CX750M, 4gb ram, Asus H81M-E, corsair 230T, Intel stock cooler WD Green 2TB Gigabyte 550TI

Why you shouldn't trust Gpu or Cpu boss Click on this I dare you!

wut, i3 runs gta v just fine http://www.techspot.com/review/991-gta-5-pc-benchmarks/page6.html

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

I have watched some videos on youtube playing gta v using an i3 processor; it seems playable. The games I will be playing would be Batman Arkham Knight, shall I wait to see people playing it on an i3?

ofcourse it's playable, but you might play other games in a while and then the i3 might not cut it if you can afford it I would go for the i5 you won't regret it.

You what? 

The max FPS 64. Using gtx 750 ti. 

EDIT look at the description.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler: Stock AMD Cooler | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB Zotac Mini | Case: K280 Case | PSU: Cooler Master B600 Power supply | SSD: 1TB  | HDDs: 1x 250GB & 1x 1TB WD Blue | Monitors: 24" Acer S240HLBID + 24" Samsung  | OS: Win 10 Pro

Audio: Behringer Q802USB Xenyx 8 Input Mixer |  U-PHORIA UMC204HD | Behringer XM8500 Dynamic Cardioid Vocal Microphone | Sound Blaster Audigy Fx PCI-E card.

Home Lab:  Lenovo ThinkCenter M82 ESXi 6.7 | Lenovo M93 Tiny Exchange 2019 | TP-LINK TL-SG1024D 24-Port Gigabit | Cisco ASA 5506 firewall  | Cisco Catalyst 3750 Gigabit Switch | Cisco 2960C-LL | HP MicroServer G8 NAS | Custom built SCCM Server.

i5 has literally double the power of an i3. Is the upgrade worth it? Definitely. Is it needed? Not necessarily.

Basic guide to CPU's!

If I said I were 14, you would call me a kid. If I say 70, you’ll entitle me too old. If I say 20 you say I’m inexperienced and if I say 40 than I'm too boring.

龴 ͡ↀ ◡ ͡ↀ龴#locked( ͡͡ ° ͜ ʖ ͡ °)

You what? 

The max FPS 64. Using gtx 750 ti. 

EDIT look at the description.

Pretty sure the i3, and the pentium anniversary edition will have much lower minimum frame rates than an i5, which will be fairly noticeable in game.

Notice how the frame time for the i3 is much more unstable than the rest...

2 cores don't cut it for most games these days. It will be playable, but for how much longer?

Cpu: Ryzen 2700 @ 4.0Ghz | Motherboard: Hero VI x370 | Gpu: EVGA RTX 2080 | Cooler: Custom Water loop | Ram: 16GB Trident Z 3000MHz

PSU: RM650x + Braided cables | Case:  painted Corsair c70 | Monitor: MSI 1440p 144hz VA | Drives: 500GB 850 Evo (OS)

Laptop: 2014 Razer blade 14" Desktop: http://imgur.com/AQZh2sj , http://imgur.com/ukAXerd

What graphics card are you using? When paired with a GTX 750 Ti, an i5 over an i3 (or maybe even a Pentium) would yield little to no results. However, if you were running a GTX 970/980, then the i5 is definitely worth the investment.

It's hard to say something is objectiely better when there's no context.

Incipere V5.0

Spoiler

CPU | i7-4790k | GPU | Nvidia GTX Titan X | Motherboard | MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition | Memory | 2x8GB Kingston HyperX Fury DDR3 1866MHz | PSU | EVGA 650 G2 | Storage | Crucial BX200 240GB + Toshiba 3TB | Case | Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 5 | CPU Cooler | Noctua NH-D15

Parvulus V1.0

Spoiler

CPU | i5-4690k | GPU | Zotac GTX 960 | Motherboard | ASRock Z97M-ITX/ac | Memory | 2x4GB G.Skill Ripjaws X DDR3 1600MHz | PSU | EVGA 650 GS | Storage | Crucial BX200 240GB + WD 1TB Blue 2.5" | Case | Silverstone Sugo SG13

If you want to join a group chat of like-minded techies, gaming, and all things dank, join our Discord group. Message me or get into contact with Galaxy. http://linustechtips.com/main/user/107351-gaiaxy/

i5 has literally double the power of an i3.

Where are you getting that idea? It has the same Haswell cores, usually running at a similar frequency. It has two more physical cores, but that doesn't mean "double the power," especially with Hyperthreading in there muddying the waters.

Where are you getting that idea? It has the same Haswell cores, usually running at a similar frequency. It has two more physical cores, but that doesn't mean "double the power," especially with Hyperthreading in there muddying the waters.

Well, 2+2 is 4 :P

I know my thing is not 100% accurate, but there's not really any other way to put it. HT indeed helps, but it does not nearly get to 4 cores.

Basic guide to CPU's!

If I said I were 14, you would call me a kid. If I say 70, you’ll entitle me too old. If I say 20 you say I’m inexperienced and if I say 40 than I'm too boring.

龴 ͡ↀ ◡ ͡ↀ龴#locked( ͡͡ ° ͜ ʖ ͡ °)

^^this is the answer you are looking for OP...the i5 is worth the extra if you can afford it you won't regret it down the road and even for current AAA titles the i5 is head and shoulders above the i3.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR