Bypassing School Web Filter

The school I go to (and will soon be leaving) has always had stringent policies on web browsing that has caused somewhere around 75% of all websites to be blocked. It got worse ever since we were given iPads, and to my horror, even LTT was blocked at the beginning of the school year, despite the fact that I was able to access it the spring beforehand.

But, today, a helpful classmate showed me an interesting way of bypassing it. All I have to do is go to translate.google.com, enter the URL of the website I want to go to, and BAM. I can access it.

Unfortunately, there are three limitations that I am aware of so far. The first is that most, but not all, images fail to load. I dunno why that is. File types, maybe? Secondly, if I use a search function on a website that is normally blocked, such as Amazon or eBay, the resultant search is blocked. I can still browse, though. Third, I can't log in to LTT or change the theme. So, I can still read everything while I'm at school, but I can't talk. (Not that I do it much anyway.)

And for those of you wondering, the filter still affects our iPads when we're at home. ):

Why is the God of Hyperdeath SO...DARN...CUTE!?

Also, if anyone has their mind corrupted by an anthropomorphic black latex bat, please let me know. I would like to join you.

you see that http://    ?

add an <<s>> at the end   :    https://

that should fix a lot of them.
schools are usually dumb about this

~New~  BoomBerryPi project !  ~New~

new build log : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/533392-build-log-the-scrap-simulator-x/?p=7078757 (5 screen flight sim for 620$ CAD)LTT Web Challenge is back ! go here  :  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/448184-ltt-web-challenge-3-v21/#entry601004

Obtain admin password

its not that hard

my shcool its a 50 charcter codeWhicih i found on staff notes xD

Use Teamviewer, remote access your own PC? That's what I do. Oh wait, school iPads. Probably can't download apps.

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

Heres a pretty good way: install tor on a flash drive.

Or on mobile, typically the browser "Opera mini" works to get around em.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

you see that http://    ?

add an <<s>> at the end   :    https://

that should fix a lot of them.

schools are usually dumb about this

Nope. It just gives me a different error than usual. It just says "There was a problem communicating with the secure web proxy server (HTTPS)." Otherwise it's the normal screen for blocked websites. My school uses Lightspeed.

Also, if anyone has their mind corrupted by an anthropomorphic black latex bat, please let me know. I would like to join you.

Use Teamviewer, remote access your own PC? That's what I do. Oh wait, school iPads. Probably can't download apps.

Actually, I can. Thanks. Hehehehehehehe. >:D

Iusually find the ip address of the website and it works just fine, unless the school blocks ip addresses too

Why do we have learning institutions actively censoring three quarters of the world's imeediately accessible knowledge

Because they're trying to keep young people off of distracting parts of the internet and are doing a bad job of keeping educational parts open.

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

https://www.unblock-anything.com/

:)(I hope they are dumb enough to not block)

At my school we are given macbooks. I just run TOR and then create a new network using the socks to route all data through tors connection :)

[Case Mod] Operation: The Division --- > Here

[CUSTOM WATER COOLED TABLE] Project: Ravage ---> Here

-== QUOTE ME IN YOUR REPLY IF YOU WANT ME TO RESPOND ==-

https://www.unblock-anything.com/

:)(I hope they are dumb enough to not block)

Nope, it's blocked. But I'm trying out TeamViewer.

Looks a lot like cutting off the leaves of the plant to me, but anyway...

Hope you can get that sorted out OP. I have a strong disdain for public education for countless reasons and many experiences, I feel your frustration.

Yeah, it's been really annoying. A couple weeks ago I was tempted to e-mail every student at the school to show them how to get content on their iPads that might be deemed inappropriate for school, in order to show how pointless the filters are, but I figured that wouldn't go down too well since I'll be graduating in a little less than a month. 

im pretty sure translator uses a cached version of the site? so you are accessing it off google's domain rather than LTT's, meaning any images are still stored on the LTT server which your proxy server actively filters.

Use a different proxy server than your schools and you will be able to get past this, alternatively you can just not get distracted and actually do all of your studying, if there is a site that you need for educational purposes then im sure your schools IT will be happy to remove it from the filter.

Scrapyard Build Total Cost: $268AUD

C2Q E8200 | 4 x 1gb DDR2 | GA-EP45-DS3 r1 | Gammax 200 | 320gb 2.5" | 7870LE PCS | Litepower 500w | CISCO Aironet 350

im pretty sure translator uses a cached version of the site? so you are accessing it off google's domain rather than LTT's, meaning any images are still stored on the LTT server which your proxy server actively filters.

Use a different proxy server than your schools and you will be able to get past this, alternatively you can just not get distracted and actually do all of your studying, if there is a site that you need for educational purposes then im sure your schools IT will be happy to remove it from the filter.

Distracted? Oh please. High school has never required much effort from me, and I'm currently ranked sixth in my class of 84 students. It's also been a living hell for me ever since junior high, so a distraction is just what I need. 

Interesting... Too bad our school blocks Google Translate, too!

[witty signature]

Distracted? Oh please. High school has never required much effort from me, and I'm currently ranked sixth in my class of 84 students. It's also been a living hell for me ever since junior high, so a distraction is just what I need. 

Ahh so you are MG2 in your class, you would like the distraction from those Silver 3 peasants

Enough with the CSGO references now

Instead of being distracted (yes, you are purposely distracting yourself... it's called procrastinating) you should aim to achieve that "number 1 rank" in the class or use the time productively and learn something else that can help you further your progress to obtaining your career of choice. i.e. learn a programming language, paint more pictures, make music, etc.

Even learn about history, it's actually really interesting and will make you be able to have more in-depth conversations with older people (which can also help you within the workforce, as networking is the biggest success to obtaining said career).

Scrapyard Build Total Cost: $268AUD

C2Q E8200 | 4 x 1gb DDR2 | GA-EP45-DS3 r1 | Gammax 200 | 320gb 2.5" | 7870LE PCS | Litepower 500w | CISCO Aironet 350

Interesting... Too bad our school blocks Google Translate, too!

wtf, like really. What about Google scholar, they beter not block that.

Alright, TeamViewer works, I'm typing on my iPad now! Thanks to all of your suggestions!

the only time I would support bypassing a  schools filter is if it was like mine, where it was so strict that it would actually prevent you from studying...seriously at my old high school the word "cat" would bring up the  block message, it was insane.

Desktop:ryzen 5 3600 | MSI b45m bazooka | EVGA 650w Icoolermaster masterbox nr400 |16 gb ddr4  corsiar lpx| Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1070ti |500GB SSD+2TB SSHD, 2tb seagate barracuda [OS/games/mass storage] | HpZR240w 1440p led logitech g502 proteus spectrum| Coolermaster quick fire pro cherry mx  brown |

wtf, like really. What about Google scholar, they beter not block that.

They blocked it so kids can't cheat in their foreign language classes. I just use Psiphon.

[witty signature]

I'm here with you OP who cares about achieving the top level its school. it teaches you how to take standardized tests. I haven't actually learned anything since freshman year. that's why I went ahead and graduated early. but my school forgot about https:// which was hilarious.

I'm Probably at work so expect a reply either really fast or really slow :D

So, I have an update for everyone. First, TeamViewer works, except when I'm at school. lol

Although I can access the App Store, I'm unable to access Chrome (to get ultrasurf) because of it's age rating. I can't access Opera Mini for the same reason.

Using the IP address of a website doesn't work either, unblock anything is blocked on my iPad, and I doubt I'd be able to get the password for the admin network. (Though, I did have it last fall before the school changed it. Right around fall break, too. Some classmate told me. xD)

@givingtnt @Arty @spartaman64 @TheSLSAMG @TheKDub @Xizerz and @ClownFace1511 do you have any more ideas? xD I mean, it's not necessary that I access websites that I otherwise couldn't at school, and I probably shouldn't, but I really do want to.

So, I have an update for everyone. First, TeamViewer works, except when I'm at school. lol

Although I can access the App Store, I'm unable to access Chrome (to get ultrasurf) because of it's age rating. I can't access Opera Mini for the same reason.

Using the IP address of a website doesn't work either, unblock anything is blocked on my iPad, and I doubt I'd be able to get the password for the admin network. (Though, I did have it last fall before the school changed it. Right around fall break, too. Some classmate told me. xD)

@givingtnt @Arty @spartaman64 @TheSLSAMG @TheKDub @Xizerz and @ClownFace1511 do you have any more ideas? xD I mean, it's not necessary that I access websites that I otherwise couldn't at school, and I probably shouldn't, but I really do want to.

protest?