A new Fractal Design case, "Define S"?

So Fractal made a watercooling case. Huh. I wonder if Paul's aware of this, I know he's making a watercooling build in a Define R5 and both he and Jay complained about how the case wasn't fully designed for watercooling.

Sadly I don't like the Define line. I find them to be too commonly used, they don't seem special.

so, you dont like it for hipster reasons?

AAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGHHHHH!!!!

Sadly I don't like the Define line. I find them to be too commonly used, they don't seem special.

They're commonly used because they are good cases for the price. They're still special.

More rad space, pump mounts and res space.

But modifications like those are super basic even for beginning modders. Removing drive bays and junk like that takes no time. And you lose out on the sound absorbing padding which is great for muffling pumps and fans. It just feels to me like youre paying the same for less.

Primary:

Intel i5 4670K (3.8 GHz) | ASRock Extreme 4 Z87 | 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical LP 2x8GB | Gigabyte GTX980ti | Mushkin Enhanced Chronos 240GB | Corsair RM 850W | Nanoxia Deep Silence 1| Ducky Shine 3 | Corsair m95 | 2x Monoprice 1440p IPS Displays | Altec Lansing VS2321 | Sennheiser HD558 | Antlion ModMic

HTPC:

Intel NUC i5 D54250WYK | 4GB Kingston 1600MHz DDR3L | 256GB Crucial M4 mSATA SSD | Logitech K400

NAS:

Thecus n4800 | WD White Label 8tb x4 in raid 5

Phones:

Oneplux 6t (Mint), Nexus 5x 8.1.0 (wifi only), Nexus 4 (wifi only)

But modifications like those are super basic even for beginning modders. Removing drive bays and junk like that takes no time. And you lose out on the sound absorbing padding which is great for muffling pumps and fans. It just feels to me like youre paying the same for less.

Only thing you lose actually is 4 3.5 inch drive cages and optical bays. The cool thing is that as far as I know, you can user all the storage options at the same time as all the rad options. This couldn't be done with the regular r5. You also keep the foam according to the fractal website. Since you only lose drive cages, this is a great value imo.

Never trust a hug. Its just a way to hide your face - The Doctor (Sounds something like the grumpy cat would say)

This seems to be an overall better case compared to the R5 methinks, at least if you're not planning to do a home server build or anything. 

phanteks enthoo pro | intel i5 4690k | noctua nh-d14 | msi z97 gaming 5 | 16gb crucial ballistix tactical | msi gtx970 4G OC  | adata sp900

Only thing you lose actually is 4 3.5 inch drive cages and optical bays. You keep the foam according to the fractal website. Since you only lose drive cages, this is a great value imo.

From the video the only foam i saw was on the back panel where all your wiring goes. I was under the impression that the R5 had a lot more than that (in the front door and on the side) so you are still losing a lot of the dampening qualities. Losing the drive cages really doesn't matter to me because i don't use 3.5s in my desktops anymore, and i haven't used an optical drive in ages. But it feels like they are taking things off the R5 and asking me to pay just as much for it.

I'm sure its good for some people, its just for me it seems silly.

Primary:

Intel i5 4670K (3.8 GHz) | ASRock Extreme 4 Z87 | 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical LP 2x8GB | Gigabyte GTX980ti | Mushkin Enhanced Chronos 240GB | Corsair RM 850W | Nanoxia Deep Silence 1| Ducky Shine 3 | Corsair m95 | 2x Monoprice 1440p IPS Displays | Altec Lansing VS2321 | Sennheiser HD558 | Antlion ModMic

HTPC:

Intel NUC i5 D54250WYK | 4GB Kingston 1600MHz DDR3L | 256GB Crucial M4 mSATA SSD | Logitech K400

NAS:

Thecus n4800 | WD White Label 8tb x4 in raid 5

Phones:

Oneplux 6t (Mint), Nexus 5x 8.1.0 (wifi only), Nexus 4 (wifi only)

so, you dont like it for hipster reasons?

I don't see being original as hipster, or any case other than a Define case as hipster. I also just see it as all around good but nothing screams out to me as "wow that is awesome" I see it as the honda civic, not a bad car but everyone owns it so it becomes average, plain, boring.

They're commonly used because they are good cases for the price. They're still special.

I dont see anything on a Define line as unique anymore. its all being done by other cases. They never really had the features or style I wanted.

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

From the video the only foam i saw was on the back panel where all your wiring goes. I was under the impression that the R5 had a lot more than that (in the front door and on the side) so you are still losing a lot of the dampening qualities. Losing the drive cages really doesn't matter to me because i don't use 3.5s in my desktops anymore, and i haven't used an optical drive in ages. But it feels like they are taking things off the R5 and asking me to pay just as much for it.

I'm sure its good for some people, its just for me it seems silly.

I see how this case wouldn't be for some people. For me it's perfect since it's only $79.99 in the U.S. and I don't pay for feature I don't use. Since I'm scared of modding, the included pump mount and resivour mount is perfect, but It does limit the option of placement.

Never trust a hug. Its just a way to hide your face - The Doctor (Sounds something like the grumpy cat would say)

I don't see being original as hipster, or any case other than a Define case as hipster. I also just see it as all around good but nothing screams out to me as "wow that is awesome" I see it as the honda civic, not a bad car but everyone owns it so it becomes average, plain, boring.

I dont see anything on a Define line as unique anymore. its all being done by other cases. They never really had the features or style I wanted.

You ever built in a Define case?

Unless this is drastically cheaper than the 5... i feel like im missing the point of it.

Supposedly non-windowed is 79.99

CPU  5820k - 4.0GHz @ 1.27V  |  MOBO X99-Pro  |  RAM 16GB Ballistic @ 2133MHz  |  PSU HX750i 

COOLING  Kraken X61 - 6x NF-A14 iPPC  |  DRIVES  256GB 950 Pro - 2x 1TB Travelstar - 1x 1TB WD Black

GPU  EVGA GTX980 SC |  CASE  R5  |  OS  Win 8.1 Pro  |  MISC   Cablemod C-Series White Set

The absence of an integrated fan controller and the recessed motherboard tray that prevents installation of eATX and SSI CEB motherboards are the deal breakers for me. The Define R5 was a step in the wrong direction for Fractal Design and this takes it on step further down the wrong path. The Define R4 remains my personal pick for the best computer case ever made.

Intel Core i7-5930K | Noctua NH-D15S | ASUS X99-M WS | 32GB (4 x 8GB) G.Skill Ripjaws V 2666MHz | MSI GeForce GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6G | Samsung 850 Pro 512GB | Seasonic 660XP2 | Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV

LG 34UM95-P w/ Ergotron MX  | O2/ODAC | Audioengine A5+ w/ AS8 | Sennheiser HD 598 | Ducky Shine 3 | Cooler Master Storm Spawn

Odd of Fractal Josh to give the exclusive launch to this guys when he knows Jay would geek out over it way more or Dimitrii would shot infinitely better and sexier b-roll for it.

-------

Current Rig

-------

You ever built in a Define case?

Is it like magic ??

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

Odd of Fractal Josh to give the exclusive launch to this guys when he knows Jay would geek out over it way more or Dimitrii would shot infinitely better and sexier b-roll for it.

Looking forward to that hardwarecanucks B-roll! 

Either way this is my new case.

Looking forward to that hardwarecanucks B-roll! 

Either way this is my new case.

hehe same here.

But where can I buy it?

This is a time sensitive matter! ;)

Yay, another silent, but horrible airflow case!

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

o man, completely new and innovative design on the market!!!!

/s

4690K // 212 EVO // Z97-PRO // Vengeance 16GB // GTX 770 GTX 970 // MX100 128GB // Toshiba 1TB // Air 540 // HX650

Logitech G502 RGB // Corsair K65 RGB (MX Red)

Is it like magic ??

No, but it's easy to build in, has everything you need and doesn't look like a #yoloswag #420blazeit case.

Yay, another silent, but horrible airflow case!

It's not made for airflow, but the Define line does have a decent amount of it.

No, but it's easy to build in, has everything you need and doesn't look like a #yoloswag #420blazeit case.

Looks are subjective and not everyone is like #720nocaopefetrektmatefetfucked some people like the look of aerocool strike-x series - me included - a lot of people forget looks are subjective.

Easier to build perhaps but I don't know what easy means as it's pretty freaking easy to build in the strike-x.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

I'll give you that, it is better than the H440s, but airflow is and should be a concern. Just yesterday I was helping a guy with an H440, with a top mounted radiator getting stupid high temps. He removed the top panel and instantly it became normal. Also the G10 mod has issues with people using it in H440s and Define R4/5. Not to the point of instability, but the performance is not what you would expect if you had a better case with more airflow.

For silence, I bet these cases are great, but there is a trade-off to be made.

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

hehe same here.

But where can I buy it?

This is a time sensitive matter! ;)

Seems not to be available yet, we usually get them instantly in Scandinavia.

Love my R5 here :) best case I ever owned. Its clean and nice, it matches every room. Its big for a midtower and is easy to build in and take apart. 

The moduvent thing is ok. I only have a 120mm liquid cooler(which im never buying again) so I keep them all closed. The sound insulation is lovely :) But it only helps a little, my GPU's are loud so ill need to fix that eventually.

The S is nice I guess if your into a custom loop. But I dont have the money for that so xF

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

I like it except there isn't enough storage capacity, a max of 26TB, no thanks.

CPU: i7 5820K 4.0GHz @1.15V | MOBO: Asus X99 Sabertooth | GPU: Gigabyte Windforce GTX 980Ti, LTT Orange | CASE: NZXT H440 Black 2015 | COOLER: Noctua NH-D15S w/ LTT Fans | RAM: 32GB Patriot 3000MHz | STORAGE: 512GB Samsung 950 Pro, 960GB Sandisk Ultra II 3 x 8TB Seagate HDD's | PSU: 750W Seasonic X series, black / orange cablemod cables| Monitors: 3x Asus VX24AH's | AUDIO OUT: Microlab SOLO 8C, Sennheiser HD 650's, Audio engine D1 Amp / DAC | AUDIO IN: Blue Snowball | Keyboard: CM Storm QuickFire TK MX Green | Mouse: Logitech G900 Proteus Spectrum + RSI Extended Mouse Pad | PCPP Linkhttp://nz.pcpartpicker.com/list/hPjFd6