Sony buys OnLive gaming streaming service.

Xsilent(X)

onlive-game-system.jpeg

OnLive, one of the most promising video game startups in the industry, is shutting down.

The Mountain View, Calif., company, which offered gamers a groundbreaking new way to play games over the Internet, announced Thursday that it's selling its patents to Sony. OnLive's service will be shut down after April 30.

"Following the termination of the company's services and related products, OnLive will engage in an orderly wind-down of the company and cease operations," OnLive wrote in a statement. Sony confirmed the deal, saying the purchase opens "great opportunities for our gamers, and gives Sony a formidable patent portfolio." Terms of the deal were not disclosed.

The sale brings to an end one of the more ambitious new video game technology startups. Founded more than a decade ago by Apple and Microsoft alum Steve Perlman, OnLive was built to offer customers a way to play visually sophisticated video games without having to own expensive computing hardware. The way it worked was through a technology called "cloud gaming," where gaming programs would run on powerful computers in a server, and the images would be broadcast over the Internet to a gamer playing on a tablet or computer, much in the same way Netflix streams videos to television sets.

But OnLive struggled. Two years after its high-profile launch in 2010, high costs and anemic marketing forced the company to enter a form of bankruptcy, during which OnLive laid off much of its staff and effectively sold itself to investor Lauder Partners. The company relaunched, offering streaming technology for gamers who used Valve Corp.'s Steam online store, but otherwise it appeared to scale back its ambitions.

In 2012, OnLive said it counted 1.75 million active users, some of whom paid $9.99 per month to access its game library of 250 titles on devices ranging from TVs and PCs to smartphones and tablets. OnLive also at one point sold access to newer titles outright at prices similar to retail.

One of the biggest challenges for game-streaming technology has been convincing players to pay for it. Only 2 percent of gamers had spent money on cloud gaming technology by last June, according to a survey from research firm IDC. Only about 13 percent of gamers said they were even interested in spending money on it.

OnLive wasn't the only company offering streaming technology. Nvidia, which is best known for making microprocessing chips for PCs, offers a game-streaming service for PCs and set-top boxes called GRID.

But perhaps the biggest company offering this technology is Sony. The Japanese tech giant built a streaming service for its PlayStation family of gaming devices using technology it bought in 2012 from a company called Gaikai for $380 million. The PlayStation Now streaming service, as it's now known, launched in January.

But Sony faces similar problems to OnLive: cost and lack of interest from gamers. Currently, PlayStation Now allows for the streaming of only about 100 older games. The company has also priced its service higher than OnLive's, at $20 a month or $45 for three months. Sony has declined to say how many gamers have signed up for its service.

Though it does offer the ability to rent games on a title-by-title basis, Sony has been criticized for offering unrealistic prices as high as $5 for four hours or $30 for a 90-day play period. Sony says publishers and developers decide what rental durations are offered.

What's unclear is whether Sony can succeed where OnLive appears to have failed. In its statement, Sony said its continued investment "is yet another proof point that demonstrates our commitment to changing the way gamers experience the world of PlayStation."

http://www.cnet.com/news/sony-buys-onlive-streaming-game-service-which-will-shut-down-later-this-month/

EOC folding stats - Folding stats - My web folding page stats

Summer Glau: Quote's The future is worth fighting for. Serenity

My linux setup: CPU: I7 2600K @4.5Ghz, MM: Corsair 16GB vengeance @1600Mhz, GPU: 2 Way Radeon his iceq x2 7970, MB: Asus sabertooth Z77, PSU: Corsair 750 plus Gold modular

My gaming setup: CPU: I7 3770K @4.7Ghz, MM: Corsair 32GB vengeance @1600Mhz, GPU: 2 Way Gigabyte RX580 8GB, MB: Asus sabertooth Z77, PSU: Corsair 860i Platinum modular

I always thought this program was crapware.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

Pretty sure OnLive is dead - no reason to buy it Sony. You're already in a bad enough position.

i'm sure it has some patents to sue other company's :)

My linux setup: CPU: I7 2600K @4.5Ghz, MM: Corsair 16GB vengeance @1600Mhz, GPU: 2 Way Radeon his iceq x2 7970, MB: Asus sabertooth Z77, PSU: Corsair 750 plus Gold modular

My gaming setup: CPU: I7 3770K @4.7Ghz, MM: Corsair 32GB vengeance @1600Mhz, GPU: 2 Way Gigabyte RX580 8GB, MB: Asus sabertooth Z77, PSU: Corsair 860i Platinum modular

i'm sure it has some patents to sue other company's :)

That is true, though I think, from a business standpoint, buying a service that people believe to be crapware like @terrytek and I did until reading this article is not a good idea. Sony is making a dumb decision here IMO.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

I didn't know onlive was still around...That said, I think calling it crapware is uncalled for. The idea is sound, but the infrastructure required wasn't there yet and it won't be for a while in the US.

Actually, I recall seeing a Microsoft advertisement about Titanfall on how they do some heavy lifting processing server side for better content on your xbox.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
Good bye to my backup streaming service. I'll be back in a year when sony closes it off.

Onlive was DOA.

Mobo: Z97 MSI Gaming 7 / CPU: i5-4690k@4.5GHz 1.23v / GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 / RAM: 8GB DDR3 1600MHz@CL9 1.5v / PSU: Corsair CX500M / Case: NZXT 410 / Monitor: 1080p IPS Acer R240HY bidx

Never even heard of it.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

I remember OnLive. Wasn't sure if anyone ever used it.

They had allot of active users in the begining of that service, but they never had Anny numbers of active users using that service.

The are basically taking a service away from pc users and providing it on their playstations. So are they trying to force pc users to purchase playstations now!!?

These cloud services are only going to get more popular as faster broadband becomes available to houses, so this seems suspicious market cornering strategy by playstation....

I thought they bought it a few years ago...

Never heard about it until it was mentioned in Tech Talk. I am just waiting for Leap Computing to release a more better version of this service.

Internets Machine: Intel 4690k w/ Be Quiet! Pure Rock 4.7Ghz. MSI Krait z97. 16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport Ram. MSI GTX 970 SLI 1520mhz. 500GB Samsung EVO 840  & 3TB WD Blue Drive. Rosewill 1000w Modular PSU. Corsair Air 540

My Beats Yo: Desktop:SMSL SA-160 Amp, KEF Q100 w/ Dayton 100w Sub Theater: Micca MB42X-C x3, MB42X x2, COVO-S x2 w/Dayton 120w Sub Headphones:  HIFiMan HE-400i, PSB M4U2, Philips Fidelio X2, Modded Fostex T50RP, ATH-M50, NVX XPT100, Phillips SHP9500, Pioneer SE-A1000, Hyper X Cloud 1&2, CHC Silverado, Superlux 668B

I thought they bought it a few years ago...

That was Gakai

Intel i5-3570K/ Gigabyte GTX 1080/ Asus PA248Q/ Sony MDR-7506/MSI Z77A-G45/ NHD-14/Samsung 840 EVO 256GB+ Seagate Barracuda 3TB/ 16GB HyperX Blue 1600MHZ/  750w PSU/ Corsiar Carbide 500R

Never heard of this before...

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

Guys, remember when Sony said "we're working on a streaming service so you can play all your older games on your new console" and well here is part of their solution. They bought a company that does this.

Guys, remember when Sony said "we're working on a streaming service so you can play all your older games on your new console" and well here is part of their solution. They bought a company that does this.

they already had bought a company that does: gaikai

they already deployed a solution that allows to play older games on new consoles and tvs: ps now

ps now is the result of the gaikai buyout

i think this sucks though, now the only option available is nvidia grid and, unlike onlive, it's not available online it's not available worldwide. and my old old netbook just become a brick at this point

edited

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

they already had bought a company that does: gaikai

they already deployed a solution that allows to play older games on new consoles and tvs: ps now

ps now is the result of the gaikai buyout

i think this sucks though, now the only option available is nvidia grid and, unlike onlive. it's not available online. and my old old netbook just become a brick at this point

Yea, they have already worked on this. That's why I said "here is PART of their solution." It's not their whole thing.

what will happen to those that bought the onlive micro console and controller?

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

what will happen to those that bought the onlive micro console and controller?

i think they will get a update to Playstation now hub.