Should I upgrade to a mechanical keyboard?

About 5 months ago I purchased a razerdeathstalker and have been using it.  I purchased it over the blackwindow because I wasn't sure about mechanical keyboards.  Now I have been thinking about getting in one in the next couple months.  What would you recommend and is it hard to get use to a mechanical keyboard?  I would like something with volume controls and macros keys are not needed.  It can be anything 100 us dollars or under and if you could recommend a good mouse pad that isn't to big.(using some generic mousepad)

Desktop 1: CPU: Intel Core i7 4770  GPU: Nvidia Geforce GTX 960 Ram: Crucial DDR3 2x8GB 1600 MHz  Storage: Samsung 850 Evo 250GB and Segate 1TB Hard drive  Desktop 2: CPU: Intel Pentium G3258  GPU: AMD R7 250  Ram: Corsair Vengance DRR3 2x8GB 1600 MHz  Mobo: MSI H81M-E33  PSU: Corsair CX430M  Case: Rosewill MicroAtx Mini Tower

I love my Corsair K70. its got media controls. you can sometimes find it on sale for 100, normally its 120 doe

eGPU Setup: Macbook Pro 13" 16GB DDR3 RAM, 512GB SSD, i5 3210M, GTX 980 eGPU

New PC: i7-4790k, Corsair H100iGTX, ASrock Fatal1ty Z97 Killer, 24GB Ram, 850 EVO 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD, GTX 1080 Fractal Design R4, EVGA Supernova G2 650W

The Corsair K70 is a bit more, unless you can find a good deal. Otherwise your best bet is a Coolermaster Quickfire. But yes mechanical is worth it, and isn't hard to get used to.

Spoiler

Prometheus (Main Rig)

CPU-Z Verification

Laptop: 

Spoiler

Intel Core i3-5005U, 8GB RAM, Crucial MX 100 128GB, Touch-Screen, Intel 7260 WiFi/Bluetooth card.

Phone:

Game Consoles:

Spoiler

Softmodded Fat PS2 w/ 80GB HDD, and a Dreamcast.

If you want my attention quote my post, or tag me. If you don't use PCPartPicker I will ignore your build.

The Corsair K70 is a bit more, unless you can find a good deal. Otherwise your best bet is a Coolermaster Quickfire. But yes mechanical is worth it, and isn't hard to get used to. Ugh, I keep double posting, sorry.

Spoiler

Prometheus (Main Rig)

CPU-Z Verification

Laptop: 

Spoiler

Intel Core i3-5005U, 8GB RAM, Crucial MX 100 128GB, Touch-Screen, Intel 7260 WiFi/Bluetooth card.

Phone:

Game Consoles:

Spoiler

Softmodded Fat PS2 w/ 80GB HDD, and a Dreamcast.

If you want my attention quote my post, or tag me. If you don't use PCPartPicker I will ignore your build.

Yes you should upgrade immediately. The Corsair K65 is a good cheap one under $100, and so are the Cooler Master ones. I'm not too sure about under $100 ones, so go with whatever anyone else says, don't listen to me.

|  Athlon 750K   |   EVGA GTX 750 Ti FTW  |  Acer Aspire E15 - i5 6200u, 940M  |

|  Sennheiser HD 518   |   FiiO E10K DAC and Amp  |

Moto G (1st Gen)

About 5 months ago I purchased a razerdeathstalker and have been using it.  I purchased it over the blackwindow because I wasn't sure about mechanical keyboards.  Now I have been thinking about getting in one in the next couple months.  What would you recommend and is it hard to get use to a mechanical keyboard?  I would like something with volume controls and macros keys are not needed.  It can be anything 100 us dollars or under and if you could recommend a good mouse pad that isn't to big.(using some generic mousepad)

CM Storm Quickfire TKL and Corsair M45

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Is the razer deathstalker good?

Desktop 1: CPU: Intel Core i7 4770  GPU: Nvidia Geforce GTX 960 Ram: Crucial DDR3 2x8GB 1600 MHz  Storage: Samsung 850 Evo 250GB and Segate 1TB Hard drive  Desktop 2: CPU: Intel Pentium G3258  GPU: AMD R7 250  Ram: Corsair Vengance DRR3 2x8GB 1600 MHz  Mobo: MSI H81M-E33  PSU: Corsair CX430M  Case: Rosewill MicroAtx Mini Tower

It's... different. In the best way possible. But not for 100 dollars.

You have it... you tell us.

I personally have a Blackwidow Ultimate (2013 w/ MX Blues),  Das Pro 4's (one with blues, one with browns), and a Corsair one.

The projects never end in my line of work.

CPU: Dual Xeon E5-2650v2 || GPU: Dual Quadro K5000 || Motherboard: Asus Z9PE-D8 || RAM: 64GB Corsair Vengeance || Monitors: Dual LG 34UM95, NEC MultiSync EA244UHD || Storage: Dual Samsung 850 Pro 256GB in Raid 0, 6x WD Re 4TB in Raid 1 || Sound: Xonar Essense STX (Mainly for Troubleshooting and listening test) || PSU: Corsair Ax1500i

CPU: Core i7 5820k @ 4.7GHz || GPU: Dual Titan X || Motherboard: Asus X99 Deluxe || RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix Sport || Monitors: MX299Q, 29UB65, LG 34UM95 || Storage: Dual Samsung 850 EVO 1 TB in Raid 0, Samsung 850 EVO 250GB, 2TB Toshiba scratch disk, 3TB Seagate Barracuda || PSU: EVGA 1000w PS Platinum

could anyone recommend any mouse pads?

CM Storm Quickfire TKL and Corsair M45

Looks nice except already using razer tapian.

It's... different. In the best way possible. But not for 100 dollars.

You have it... you tell us.

I personally have a Blackwidow Ultimate (2013 w/ MX Blues),  Das Pro 4's (one with blues, one with browns), and a Corsair one.

Sorry I meant the blackwidow is it good?

Looks nice except already using razer tapian

Oh derp, misread and thought you needed a mouse too :P

Well I will still recommend the CM Storm keyboard. The RAzer keyboard is OK, but people have mixed opinions on it.

As for mousepads: Steeleries has some good one, I believe the QCK series or something.

I have a Asus Strix Glide mousepad, but it's probably too big for you

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Sorry I meant the blackwidow is it good?

The one with the MX Blues is... I can't speak for the new Razer branded switches.

The projects never end in my line of work.

CPU: Dual Xeon E5-2650v2 || GPU: Dual Quadro K5000 || Motherboard: Asus Z9PE-D8 || RAM: 64GB Corsair Vengeance || Monitors: Dual LG 34UM95, NEC MultiSync EA244UHD || Storage: Dual Samsung 850 Pro 256GB in Raid 0, 6x WD Re 4TB in Raid 1 || Sound: Xonar Essense STX (Mainly for Troubleshooting and listening test) || PSU: Corsair Ax1500i

CPU: Core i7 5820k @ 4.7GHz || GPU: Dual Titan X || Motherboard: Asus X99 Deluxe || RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix Sport || Monitors: MX299Q, 29UB65, LG 34UM95 || Storage: Dual Samsung 850 EVO 1 TB in Raid 0, Samsung 850 EVO 250GB, 2TB Toshiba scratch disk, 3TB Seagate Barracuda || PSU: EVGA 1000w PS Platinum

Oh derp, misread and thought you needed a mouse too :P

Well I will still recommend the CM Storm keyboard. The RAzer keyboard is OK, but people have mixed opinions on it.

As for mousepads: Steeleries has some good one, I believe the QCK series or something.

I have a Asus Strix Glide mousepad, but it's probably too big for you

Thanks the steel series mousepads look decent and cheap

could anyone recommend any mouse pads?

Razer Goliathus Speed Edition

Sound: Custom one pros, Audioengine A5+ with S8 sub.

K70 RGB

The one with the MX Blues is... I can't speak for the new Razer branded switches.

I have a friend with the blackwidow I will ask him, but thx.

Are mechanical keyboards good for people besides gamers?

After trying different mechanical keyboards from different companies, I can say with full confidence that they are far superior, regardless of which color switches you end up purchasing. Membrane keyboards for me now feel like I'm slowly typing my way towards arthritis, while mechanical keyboards make much more satisfying noises, end up feeling better for your fingers, and end up also letting you type a lot faster by not having so much normal force (physics term that maybe would make more sense if I called it feedback pressure?) working against your fingers in the opposite direction. If you don't have the money for some fancy pants Razer, Ducky, Filco, or Corsair keyboard, I recommend you at least find some cheaper keyboard without all the RGB lights and so on. I've owned a Corsair Vengeance K95 (Cherry MX Red) and a Ducky Shine 3 (Cherry MX Blue), and now I feel like my workplace is torturing me whenever I'm forced to use its horrible, Dell keyboards. I mostly use my keyboard for typing, not gaming, anyway, so it's not just a gaming thing. 

You might regret a lot of things in life, like not paying attention in school, marrying that one girl you ended up divorcing... But you won't end up regretting your decision to purchase a mechanical keyboard. I 100% guarantee it. Just make sure you do your research online or/and going to some place like Frys to try out the feel of different switches. I personally like Cherry MX Blue the most, but you might want more quiet ones, like Cherry MX Brown or so on. Definitely do your research.

Mousepads aren't that important unless you're using them for gaming. From what I hear, cloth is bad and too many different colors can sometimes confuse the mouse into being slightly less accurate. That being said, the Steelseries seems to be good. 

Are mechanical keyboards good for people besides gamers?

It's comfortable for typing too

well the new rgb one does not use real cherry mx switches so take that how you want. but i have had my filco majestouch 2 ninja for 3 days now and i am loving it. I use ps2 because it is so much faster than usb but i would recommend a cooler master quickfire because i heard they have a good build quality. i used to have a deathstalker but it started having problems and now im never going back to membrane.

Finding the switches you like is probably going to take a few boards to figure out. I personally like blues, and blacks as well as the old cherry my switches ( It's what I grew up using is probably the only reason) But there are people who swear browns or reds are the only way to go.

I would suggest a ducky or filco in whichever switch you want they can be a tad bit more expensive but the quality is there to justify it. I personally do have 2 blackwidows as well, the 2013 with cherry blues and a 2014 with the kailh "razer" green switches, that I typically use with my gaming rig. I hear a lot of bad about razer anymore but I've never had any issues with either board, I've had the 2013 going on 2 years now and my 2014 goes out of warranty this month. If you can find one for 60-80 bucks, which you can fairly often, I'd just grab one.  

Current gaming build: Link to PcPartPicker

Have you decided what switch you want first? That's hugely important in the mechanical keyboard buying process. If you need more info feel free to check out the link in my sig.

For the mousepad the Steelseries QCK is fine.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

Have you decided what switch you want first? That's hugely important in the mechanical keyboard buying process. If you need more info feel free to check out the link in my sig.

For the mousepad the Steelseries QCK is fine.

For my needs I think I want a cherry Mx brown for quieter typing and good for gaming.  Would do you think?

For my needs I think I want a cherry Mx brown for quieter typing and good for gaming.  Would do you think?

Well, browns are not "for gaming and typing." One switch is not made for a specific task - it's made for a specific person. With browns I first assume you have pretty light hands. They are very light switches so if you're a heavy typist then you will not like them.

Of the quieter switches :

Browns - light, tactile, very common

Clears - heavy, tactile, rare

Reds - light, linear, common

Blacks - medium, linear, uncommon

Those should help narrow down your search. Whichever of those sounds good, give me a holler when you've got it figured out :)

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

Well, browns are not "for gaming and typing." One switch is not made for a specific task - it's made for a specific person. With browns I first assume you have pretty light hands. They are very light switches so if you're a heavy typist then you will not like them.

Of the quieter switches :

Browns - light, tactile, very common

Clears - heavy, tactile, rare

Reds - light, linear, common

Blacks - medium, linear, uncommon

Those should help narrow down your search. Whichever of those sounds good, give me a holler when you've got it figured out :)

What are blues like?