Apple buys Camel Audio? Why do they want this...

Prastupok

camelaudio-1.8.2014-635x365.jpg

For those of you who don't know, I work in the music business. While I haven't used the Alchemy software extensively, I have used it. It's not bad at all. But now, apparently Apple wants in. I'm trying to figure this one out... they have the mainstream audio market by the cajones already with Beats audio, which has over 60% market share in that segment. But now, they are delving into pro audio solutions. Unless this is to market for GarageBand, I'm not too excited to see them scoop bigger companies that I actually use, which they (as we all know) can afford. If they do more of this, they could very well monopolize a great number of markets.

"Apple appears to have acquired popular music plug-in and effect maker Camel Audio, based on information found on corporate registry site Companies House [PDF]. Camel Audio's address has been updated to 100 New Bridge Street, which is Apple's London address, and the company's sole director is now listed as Apple lawyer Heather Joy Morrison, suggesting the company is in the possession of Apple. "

Why, Apple? Tell us all why you must compete with everyone? Is it some sort of corporate short-man syndrome? Help us understand!

Sources: The Verge, MacRumors

The projects never end in my line of work.

CPU: Dual Xeon E5-2650v2 || GPU: Dual Quadro K5000 || Motherboard: Asus Z9PE-D8 || RAM: 64GB Corsair Vengeance || Monitors: Dual LG 34UM95, NEC MultiSync EA244UHD || Storage: Dual Samsung 850 Pro 256GB in Raid 0, 6x WD Re 4TB in Raid 1 || Sound: Xonar Essense STX (Mainly for Troubleshooting and listening test) || PSU: Corsair Ax1500i

CPU: Core i7 5820k @ 4.7GHz || GPU: Dual Titan X || Motherboard: Asus X99 Deluxe || RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix Sport || Monitors: MX299Q, 29UB65, LG 34UM95 || Storage: Dual Samsung 850 EVO 1 TB in Raid 0, Samsung 850 EVO 250GB, 2TB Toshiba scratch disk, 3TB Seagate Barracuda || PSU: EVGA 1000w PS Platinum

We have Beats.. Now we get Camel..

SOON WE HAVE ALL AUDIO COMPANIES

/s

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

/s

If they buy Avid (Pro Tools) I'd be beyond pissed. They have everything already... we don't need apple.gov

CPU: Dual Xeon E5-2650v2 || GPU: Dual Quadro K5000 || Motherboard: Asus Z9PE-D8 || RAM: 64GB Corsair Vengeance || Monitors: Dual LG 34UM95, NEC MultiSync EA244UHD || Storage: Dual Samsung 850 Pro 256GB in Raid 0, 6x WD Re 4TB in Raid 1 || Sound: Xonar Essense STX (Mainly for Troubleshooting and listening test) || PSU: Corsair Ax1500i

CPU: Core i7 5820k @ 4.7GHz || GPU: Dual Titan X || Motherboard: Asus X99 Deluxe || RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix Sport || Monitors: MX299Q, 29UB65, LG 34UM95 || Storage: Dual Samsung 850 EVO 1 TB in Raid 0, Samsung 850 EVO 250GB, 2TB Toshiba scratch disk, 3TB Seagate Barracuda || PSU: EVGA 1000w PS Platinum

If they buy Avid (Pro Tools) I'd be beyond pissed. They have everything already... we don't need apple.gov

If they buy Senheiser I would be so mad..

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

If they buy Senheiser I would be so mad..

If they buy ANY audio companies, I'd be mad. But I doubt they'd do Sennheiser first... it's not nearly as profitable. Pro Tools, however... it's used almost universally throughout the business.

maybe they have patents that apple wants ?

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

Apple is already in the music industry so it makes sense. Like The Verge said, they will probably implement things from it into their own music programs.

Apple is already in the music industry so it makes sense. Like The Verge said, they will probably implement things from it into their own music programs.

That's the issue, though. They have a good product as so as it is. I don't want to see good applications like this end up in Garageband, or even Logic... Because it takes away from the PC user side completely, and makes it more mainstream, which isn't what it's designed for. IMO they need to stop buying, the whole monopolizing everything isn't good. The more they do this, the harder it is to stay away from Apple if we want to have what we want.

Lol, I don't blame them, they have to spend their money somehow xD 

04f94ebe6381fef4_Wolf1.gif

MacBook Pro 15' 2018 (Pretty much the only system I use)

so this beats camel?

I thought it was Apple beats the Camel.... Like the old "Winamp it really whips the llama's ass" 

| CPU: i7-4770K @4.6 GHz, | CPU cooler: NZXT Kraken x61 + 2x Noctua NF-A14 Industrial PPC PWM 2000RPM  | Motherboard: MSI Z87-GD65 Gaming | RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB(2x8GB) 2133MHz, 11-11-11-27(Red) | GPU: 2x MSI R9 290 Gaming Edition  | SSD: Samsung 840 Evo 250gb | HDD: Seagate ST1000DX001 SSHD 1TB + 4x Seagate ST4000DX001 SSHD 4TB | PSU: Corsair RM1000 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 Black | Fans: 1x NZXT FZ 200mm Red LED 3x Aerocool Dead Silence 140mm Red Edition 2x Aerocool Dead Silence 120mm Red Edition  | LED lighting: NZXT Hue RGB |

/s

They'll never get Ableton or Focusrite Novation

I run my browser through NSA ports to make their illegal jobs easier. :P
If it's not broken, take it apart and fix it.
http://pcpartpicker.com/b/fGM8TW

That's the issue, though. They have a good product as so as it is. I don't want to see good applications like this end up in Garageband, or even Logic... Because it takes away from the PC user side completely, and makes it more mainstream, which isn't what it's designed for. IMO they need to stop buying, the whole monopolizing everything isn't good. The more they do this, the harder it is to stay away from Apple if we want to have what we want.

Google bought a couple of companies that I was heavily using (SageTV was the worst). It's always the same, it's end up in nothings... At least if it brings new products, innovation, it's cool. But that's rarely the case. 

Let's hope Apple will do something cool with it and not just let it die there... 

apple.gov/applecare

Google bought a couple of companies that I was heavily using (SageTV was the worst). It's always the same, it's end up in nothings... At least if it brings new products, innovation, it's cool. But that's rarely the case. 

Let's hope Apple will do something cool with it and not just let it die there...

they'll make it a plug in for their Logic X and Garage Band and end all support for programs that can run on Windows.

They already have their own competitor with Logic. They're probably buying Camel for their plug-ins and/or better support for Logic.

Them buying Avid? Doubtful, even if they had the money.

It's already comcast.gov anyways.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

This could be a move back towards an age where the the best software for creative professionals were found on mac. If you remember maybe 15-20 years ago artists pretty much exclusively used macs because it had a whole lot of pro software that was mac exclusive, including adobe illustrator. There are still a lot of artists who use macs only because that's what they've been doing since they started using computers but there's a new breed of creative professionals and semi-professionals out there who think windows is a better platform for them. There are a LOT of people these days who are casually using professional tools for fun...if apple could lure that crowd to their ecosystem it could be very good for apple.

CamelPhat -> ApplePhat

Please dear god don't let the Camel plugins stop coming. Hope this isn't one of those cases where the technology gets integrated, and then they just move on.

Long as Apple doesn't forget about us .dll VST people.

CPU  5820k - 4.0GHz @ 1.27V  |  MOBO X99-Pro  |  RAM 16GB Ballistic @ 2133MHz  |  PSU HX750i 

COOLING  Kraken X61 - 6x NF-A14 iPPC  |  DRIVES  256GB 950 Pro - 2x 1TB Travelstar - 1x 1TB WD Black

GPU  EVGA GTX980 SC |  CASE  R5  |  OS  Win 8.1 Pro  |  MISC   Cablemod C-Series White Set