Lenovo Readies Y50 Refresh with GTX 960M Graphics and IPS Display

qwertywarrior

seems they fixed what linus hated about it

at its price per performance its the only laptop worth buying imo

http://www.techpowerup.com/209816/lenovo-readies-y50-refresh-with-gtx-960m-graphics-and-ips-display.html

33a.jpg

Lenovo is giving final touches to its refreshed Y50 15.6-inch performance notebook, which it plans to launch this March. The refreshed Y50 will come in three variants, two of which will feature 4K Ultra HD IPS displays, and the third a 1080p full-HD IPS display. All three variants will feature NVIDIA's new GeForce GTX 960M graphics with 4 GB GDDR5 video memory. At the heart of the three will be Intel's Core i7-4720HQ processor (quad-core, 2.60 to 3.60 GHz, 6 MB L3 cache), backed by 8 GB or 16 GB of RAM. The top-spec variant will ship with a 512 GB SSD, while the others will offer a 1 TB + 8 GB hybrid drive. Prices will start at €1120, and go up to €1400. The target market will be EMEAI, which has an appetite for 15.6-inch notebooks.

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

Holy crap yes!

Intel Core i7-5820K (4.4 GHz) | Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB  | 2x 360mm Custom Loop (Noctua iPPC) | ASRock X99 Extreme6 | Samsung 840 EVO 250GB | Fractal Design Define S | Corsair HX750 | Windows 10 | Corsair M65 RGB PRO | Corsair K70 RGB LUX (CherryMX Brown) | Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro & Creative Sound Blaster Z | Nexus 6P (32GB Aluminium) | Check out my setup: Project Kalte Here!

Now maybe i'll consider recommending it

Edit: If it'd had thunderbolt i'd buy one

Specs: 4790k | Asus Z-97 Pro Wifi | MX100 512GB SSD | NZXT H440 Plastidipped Black | Dark Rock 3 CPU Cooler | MSI 290x Lightning | EVGA 850 G2 | 3x Noctua Industrial NF-F12's

Bought a powermac G5, expect a mod log sometime in 2015

Corsair is overrated, and Anime is ruined by the people who watch it

Holy crap yes!

not sure if its gonna be sold in NA

since the target market is EMEAI (Europe, Middle East, Africa, India)

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

not sure if its gonna be sold in NA

since the target market is EMEAI (Europe, Middle East, Africa, India)

Oh... *sobs*

Intel Core i7-5820K (4.4 GHz) | Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB  | 2x 360mm Custom Loop (Noctua iPPC) | ASRock X99 Extreme6 | Samsung 840 EVO 250GB | Fractal Design Define S | Corsair HX750 | Windows 10 | Corsair M65 RGB PRO | Corsair K70 RGB LUX (CherryMX Brown) | Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro & Creative Sound Blaster Z | Nexus 6P (32GB Aluminium) | Check out my setup: Project Kalte Here!

(I think you forgot to include a source)

Seems pretty nice, although if the picture's any indicator, it looks like a glossy screen. Blech. :S

Just a question, how much more power would the 4k panel use than the 1080p when not gaming? I'm hoping of getting the 4k panel but i'm also worried about the battery hit. 

Sound: Custom one pros, Audioengine A5+ with S8 sub.

K70 RGB

I just don't like that gaming notebooks these days all look like "gaming notebooks." I want a notebook I can travel for work with and not look like I have a toy for a laptop. The MSI GS60 Ghost would look like a nice laptop without the gaming series logo on the lid for example.

<p> AMD Ryzen 7 5800x l ASUS TUF X570-PLUS l G.Skill Trident Z Neo Series RGB 32GB l Sapphire Pulse RX 7900 XTX

Had one of the more recent Y50s... horrible battery life. Ended up selling it like 5 months later for a hundred dollar loss on craigslist.

Primary:

Intel i5 4670K (3.8 GHz) | ASRock Extreme 4 Z87 | 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical LP 2x8GB | Gigabyte GTX980ti | Mushkin Enhanced Chronos 240GB | Corsair RM 850W | Nanoxia Deep Silence 1| Ducky Shine 3 | Corsair m95 | 2x Monoprice 1440p IPS Displays | Altec Lansing VS2321 | Sennheiser HD558 | Antlion ModMic

HTPC:

Intel NUC i5 D54250WYK | 4GB Kingston 1600MHz DDR3L | 256GB Crucial M4 mSATA SSD | Logitech K400

NAS:

Thecus n4800 | WD White Label 8tb x4 in raid 5

Phones:

Oneplux 6t (Mint), Nexus 5x 8.1.0 (wifi only), Nexus 4 (wifi only)

Just a question, how much more power would the 4k panel use than the 1080p when not gaming? I'm hoping of getting the 4k panel but i'm also worried about the battery hit. 

My guess is something betwen 10-20% more power than 1080p.

GPU and CPU need to work little harder even at idle and panel will take some extra power over 1080p too.

White backlit keyboard please so it doesn't yell gamer at the top of its lungs. 

If you want to join a really cool Discord chatroom with some great guys here from LTT and outside this community then PM me!

cool but did they change the glossy screen too ?! That was the No.1 reason for me to gave that laptop a huge 'X' on my list ...

Ok cool, looks like my plans for getting a 15" ultrabook has changed

Home is where the heart my desktop is.

My buddy bought himself the last y50 around xmas, 1080p alright TN panel, 860m, hdd with ssd cache. It's great.  An even better one would be even better.  And the build is much much much much nicer than my HP pavilion.

$999 canadian or like $800usd.  

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

You have got to be kidding me... I just bought the y50 with the 860m...

lenovos Y range change specs around every 6 months so they suck at maintaining value 

Don't worry, the 960M is basically the same card as the 860M from what I've heard from the rumour mill.

hai

Well, the old one with 860m and 4k screen is 1,100 while the 960m one with 4k is 1,600.

So unless you hate the screen or find the battery life too short, I don't think you missed much.

K70 RGB

My buddy bought himself the last y50 around xmas, 1080p alright TN panel, 860m, hdd with ssd cache. It's great.  An even better one would be even better.  And the build is much much much much nicer than my HP pavilion.

$999 canadian or like $800usd.  

I'm on one right now. Pretty base model version - i5/860/8GB RAM/1TB HDD w/ 8GB SSD thing, but I'm pretty happy. The screen does leave some to be desired, and the touch pad isn't quite as nice as my old ASUS gaming laptop, but the rest of it is set up really nice. No major gripes even though I was slightly nervous about picking up this version.

With a better screen and a 960m I'd recommend it, no brainer.

Never say it's not broken. Everything is broken. Why? Because everything needs MOAR POWA!

980m was like 97o, so 960m would be like a 950? Isn't that basically 750ti/860m?

Anyone who has a sister hates the fact that his sister isn't Kasugano Sora.
Anyone who does not have a sister hates the fact that Kasugano Sora isn't his sister.
I'm not insulting anyone; I'm just being condescending. There is a difference, you see...

980m was like 97o, so 960m would be like a 950? Isn't that basically 750ti/860m?

960m would be like a 870m

K70 RGB

960m would be like a 870m

Why?

840m wasn't like 750m.

Anyone who has a sister hates the fact that his sister isn't Kasugano Sora.
Anyone who does not have a sister hates the fact that Kasugano Sora isn't his sister.
I'm not insulting anyone; I'm just being condescending. There is a difference, you see...

With some overclocks 860M could come awfully close to the 870M. 960M will probably be overclocked 860M on GM107.

It'd be nice if you could still overclock the 860M. :(.

hai