Linus! Review the AVA Direct Clevo Menace Laptop

This reminds me of that tiny Gigabyte Brix style PC that came out a while ago with a full 760 in. Needless to say it had thermal issues and I'm willing to bet this is going to be the same story all over again.  

http://www.avadirect.com/Menace-Slim-Gaming-Laptop

Above is the link. It is a Z97 laptop with a Desktop CPU inside it. This sounds like a cool idea...if it can be upgraded easily, and, cooling isn't an issue.

interested in your thoughts.

attachicon.gifMenace-LP-2_01.jpg

First of all... There is so much of paradox in your statements ...

1. "Slim" gaming laptop

2.desktop CPU in a " slim " gaming laptop

3. You said and I quote " Cooling isn't an issue "

4. Again ,You said and I quote :- "This sounds like a cool idea "

How to make your droids snappier:

The ultimate laptop buying guide :

1. "Slim" gaming laptop

IF. He said it would be an interesting idea if cooling doesn't become an issue.

Anyway, apparently this thing has like 7 copper heat pipes. It seems to do a lot better in stress testing than I would've thought: high 80s/low 90s on the CPU and low 70s on the GPU. (http://www.notebookcheck.com/Test-Schenker-XMG-U505-Clevo-P751ZM-Notebook.134441.0.html )

I mean, yeah, it's not great, but outside of stress test conditions it might work out.

stresstest.jpg

We have AVA computers at work. They are shit for the price.

They don't know how to build computers. They are not up to my standards at least.

We spent some serious money on these system, with dual GTX 980 SLI in them and X99 chipset motherboard, and 32GB of RAM.

And the PSU they use is not even 80 Plus certified. Outputs a high pitch whine when the system is off or sleeping, and put fans you the piss poor case has no air holes for the fans to get fresh air at the front.

UEFI based system, but they still install Windows and set everything as legacy. Even set SATA controller to IDE mode. So basically despite spending a premium price, we had to fix all of this, which is more time and money.

I have seen enough. I hope they'll change for their sakes, but for now. Big no.

However, I need to give them props for providing disk, cables, and everything that came with the hardware. The computer was well packaged, the case is of good quality despite the design flaws, and the system come junk free. Maybe the person that build our systems screwed up, possible. But if not, whoever is in charge in picking these parts from their line and setup the basic setup needs a wake up that we don't run on Windows XP days anymore, and quiet computer is default requirement. It should not be asked, same for a minimum of power efficiency.

For the record, OP... there is a thread to what Linus should review next.

I suggest dropping any ideas there: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/300200-what-should-i-review-next/?view=getnewpost

The projects never end in my line of work.

CPU: Dual Xeon E5-2650v2 || GPU: Dual Quadro K5000 || Motherboard: Asus Z9PE-D8 || RAM: 64GB Corsair Vengeance || Monitors: Dual LG 34UM95, NEC MultiSync EA244UHD || Storage: Dual Samsung 850 Pro 256GB in Raid 0, 6x WD Re 4TB in Raid 1 || Sound: Xonar Essense STX (Mainly for Troubleshooting and listening test) || PSU: Corsair Ax1500i

CPU: Core i7 5820k @ 4.7GHz || GPU: Dual Titan X || Motherboard: Asus X99 Deluxe || RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix Sport || Monitors: MX299Q, 29UB65, LG 34UM95 || Storage: Dual Samsung 850 EVO 1 TB in Raid 0, Samsung 850 EVO 250GB, 2TB Toshiba scratch disk, 3TB Seagate Barracuda || PSU: EVGA 1000w PS Platinum

They don't know how to build computers. They are not up to my standards at least.

We spent some serious money on these system, with dual GTX 980 SLI in them and X99 chipset motherboard, and 32GB of RAM.

And the PSU they use is not even 80 Plus certified. Outputs a high pitch whine when the system is off or sleeping, and put fans you the piss poor case has no air holes for the fans to get fresh air at the front.

UEFI based system, but they still install Windows and set everything as legacy. Even set SATA controller to IDE mode.

I can go more. But I have seen enough. I hope they'll change for their sakes, but for now. Big no.

The laptop mentioned here isn't manufactured by AVA, but rather by Clevo (and then possibly rebranded by Sager). In fact, I'd be willing to bet that if you didn't order any hardware/cosmetic customizations, they would just ship you the laptop directly from Sager/Clevo without ever going to the AVA facility.

• 2 weeks later...

1. "Slim" gaming laptop

I did not say cooling wasn't an issue. I said it was a cool Idea and I quote

1. "if it can be upgraded easily, and, cooling isn't an issue."

2. I didn't make the ad so don't fault me for that.

3. It is a cool Idea, doesn't have to be a logical or even well executed idea to be a cool idea just has to be cool. 

Go somewhere else troll.

UEFI based system, but they still install Windows and set everything as legacy. Even set SATA controller to IDE mode. So basically despite spending a premium price, we had to fix all of this, which is more time and money.

I have seen enough. I hope they'll change for their sakes, but for now. Big no.

However, I need to give them props for providing disk, cables, and everything that came with the hardware. The computer was well packaged, the case is of good quality despite the design flaws, and the system come junk free. Maybe the person that build our systems screwed up, possible. But if not, whoever is in charge in picking these parts from their line and setup the basic setup needs a wake up that we don't run on Windows XP days anymore, and quiet computer is default requirement. It should not be asked, same for a minimum of power efficiency.

Wow the power supply issue is a huge no no, but from what I understand of them is you choose which parts you want in the computer and they build, I'm not sure if you can pick power supply though. 

Wow the power supply issue is a huge no no, but from what I understand of them is you choose which parts you want in the computer and they build, I'm not sure if you can pick power supply though.

Beside Wattage, you can't.

And it's not: they build what you want. They have a selection of parts to pick from.

You supposed to pay for their expertise, advice, and so on. But the fact that our UEFI ready system are were all set as legacy, even the SATA controller to IDE mode, clearly indicates that they are not knowledgeable to what they are doing.

You are better off going at NCIX or NewEgg, and pay the extra fee (what is it, 50$? or something) and they build the system for you from the parts you ordered.

Beside Wattage, you can't.

And it's not: they build what you want. They have a selection of parts to pick from.

You supposed to pay for their expertise, advice, and so on. But the fact that our UEFI ready system are were all set as legacy, even the SATA controller to IDE mode, clearly indicates that they are not knowledgeable to what they are doing.

You are better off going at NCIX or NewEgg, and pay the extra fee (what is it, 50$? or something) and they build the system for you from the parts you ordered.

I'm not positive, but I think it's only NCIX that does that :P But yes, $50.

The projects never end in my line of work.

CPU: Dual Xeon E5-2650v2 || GPU: Dual Quadro K5000 || Motherboard: Asus Z9PE-D8 || RAM: 64GB Corsair Vengeance || Monitors: Dual LG 34UM95, NEC MultiSync EA244UHD || Storage: Dual Samsung 850 Pro 256GB in Raid 0, 6x WD Re 4TB in Raid 1 || Sound: Xonar Essense STX (Mainly for Troubleshooting and listening test) || PSU: Corsair Ax1500i

CPU: Core i7 5820k @ 4.7GHz || GPU: Dual Titan X || Motherboard: Asus X99 Deluxe || RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix Sport || Monitors: MX299Q, 29UB65, LG 34UM95 || Storage: Dual Samsung 850 EVO 1 TB in Raid 0, Samsung 850 EVO 250GB, 2TB Toshiba scratch disk, 3TB Seagate Barracuda || PSU: EVGA 1000w PS Platinum