Apple’s Activation Lock Leads To Big Drops In Smartphone Theft Worldwide

apple-security.jpg?w=1398

Im shocked that others haven't rolled out similar/more secure features as part of their OSs, because Activation Lock is probably one of the most genius things that anyone could do for device security. Its a right pain when you forget to deactivate it on your own and actually sell the device, but its practically a lifesaver in the event of theft. 

I've had the misfortune of losing a device, Activation lock effectively turns it into a brick. Even DFU restoring and using tricks will leave the device either A. Still locked, waiting for my authorization or B. cripple the cellular portion so all you have is a very fancy iPod Touch. No wonder thefts of these devices have started to tank when the reward just isn't there anymore. Unless you have intimate knowledge of someones Apple ID password and device passcode, you've got a snowballs chance in hell of getting it to work. 

A new report from Reuters found that iPhone theft dropped by 50 percent in London, 40 percent in San Francisco and 25 percent in New York. The drops represent theft activity as measured during the 12 months following Apple’s introduction of the remote locking feature in September 2013 as part of iOS 7. With iOS 8, Apple made its so-called said “kill switch” active by default, in accordance with California regulation, and that should help the rates of theft continue to trend downwards.

Apple’s Activation Lock requires a user to authorize a wipe or fresh install using the existing iCloud credentials on record, ensuring that a thief can’t go ahead and just wipe the device easily to use it themselves or prepare it for sale on the secondary market. Apple is one of the first major manufacturers to switch to implementing the system by default, rather than through user opt-in, which means it should be present on far more devices. All new iPhone 6 and 6 Plus units, for instance, will have it on be default given that they shipped with iOS 8 pre-installed.

Stats from last year indicated that Apple’s implementation of the Activation Lock were having a significant effect, but Apple’s combined iOS 8 adoption rate (currently at over 70 percent) and the fact that it’s now on by default means that the risk associated with stealing a modern iOS device is even greater.

http://techcrunch.com/2015/02/11/apples-activation-lock-leads-to-big-drops-in-smartphone-theft-worldwide/

Really nice to see Apple stepping up the game in security. I really wish this would get more manufactures to incorporate similar features on thier own products.

Spoiler
Spoiler

Project Depravity: £850 / ????? (03/12/2015) Case: Phanteks Enthoo Primo SE Red Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB MX Red Monitors: 3* Asus PG279Q Stand: Ergotech Triple Desk Stand Webcam: Logitch C920

Spoiler

RIP in kill: CPU: Single core Celeron M @1.73GHz RAM: 1GB (512MB x2) DDR2 SO-DIMM Motherboard: Asus MOCA-AR HDD: 160GB SATA2 5400rpm

Spoiler

Current System: CPU: Intel i5-4690K Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO Motherboard: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury 8GB 1866MHz GPU: Gigabyte Windforce 960 4GB SSD: Sandisk Ultra Plus 128GB HDD: WD Caviar Blue 1TB PSU: Corsair CX500M Case: Corsair 200R Windowed MonitorLG 22MP55HQ 22" IPS + HP w19 MouseRoccat Savu Keyboard: Corsair Raptor K30 Mouse Pad: Perixx DX-1000XXL Headset: Kingston HyperX Cloud OS: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit 

LOL get rekt nasty pasty robbers. Can't make a quick buck.

But seriously google, implement something like this.

The first step to insanity is believing in your sanity.

One way to ensure someone doesn't turn on airplane mode in the event that your phone gets stolen should turn off control center on the locksreen

I thought of that but I use the control centre to toggle blue tooth, flashlight and wifi from the lock screen. I wish they gave you the option to take airplane mode out of that menu. Would be a much better solution.

My posts are in a constant state of editing :)

CPU: i7-4790k @ 4.7Ghz MOBO: ASUS ROG Maximums VII Hero  GPU: Asus GTX 780ti Directcu ii SLI RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance PSU: Corsair AX860 Case: Corsair 450D Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250 GB, WD Black 1TB Cooling: Corsair H100i with Noctua fans Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift

laptop

Some ASUS model. Has a GT 550M, i7-2630QM, 4GB or ram and a WD Black SSD/HDD drive. MacBook Pro 13" base model
Apple stuff from over the years
iPhone 5 64GB, iPad air 128GB, iPod Touch 32GB 3rd Gen and an iPod nano 4GB 3rd Gen. Both the touch and nano are working perfectly as far as I can tell :)

Bensemus, on 11 Feb 2015 - 12:53 PM, said:

I thought of that but I use the control centre to toggle blue tooth, flashlight and wifi from the lock screen. I wish they gave you the option to take airplane mode out of that menu. Would be a much better solution.

With how well touch id works, I could sacrifice the slight inconvenience to make sure Find my iPhone doesn't become useless :D 

I wish they gave you the option to take airplane mode out of that menu.

*cough* Jailbreak *cough*

One way to ensure someone doesn't turn on airplane mode in the event that your phone gets stolen should turn off control center on the locksreen

Why would you wanna do that? The thief can easily turn off the iPhone and remove the SIM card.

Why would you wanna do that? The thief can easily turn off the iPhone and remove the SIM card.

Doesn't work like that. If the phone has find my iphone turned on the only way to remove it is if the thief has access to the phone holders password which I doubt they have. So their iCloud details are completely tied to that device, if you try to turn find my iphone off it'll ask for a password. 

System Specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X

GPU: Radeon RX 7900 XT 

RAM: 32GB 3600MHz

HDD: 1TB Sabrent NVMe -  WD 1TB Black - WD 2TB Green -  WD 4TB Blue

MB: Gigabyte  B550 Gaming X- RGB Disabled

PSU: Corsair RM850x 80 Plus Gold

Case: BeQuiet! Silent Base 801 Black

Cooler: Noctua NH-DH15

Doesn't work like that. If the phone has find my iphone turned on the only way to remove it is if the thief has access to the phone holders password which I doubt they have. So their iCloud details are completely tied to that device, if you try to turn find my iphone off it'll ask for a password.

Yes sure I have an iPhone my self I know that. But I'm talking about turning off Controllcenter because you don't want someone activating airplane mode. But that doesn't change anything.

I wonder, is there already software out there that will crack/bypass this?

Sound: Custom one pros, Audioengine A5+ with S8 sub.

K70 RGB

My dad has gotten his iPhone 6+ stolen twice within a month. Granted one of those times was mostly his fault for letting it lie around randomly. I guess those theives haven't gotten the memo though lol.

My PC: i7 3770k @ 4.4 Ghz || Hyper 212 Evo || Intel Extreme Motherboard DZ77GA || EVGA Hybrid 980ti || Corsair Vengeance Blue 16GB || Samsung 840 Evo 120 GB || WD Black 1TB

Peripherals: Corsair K70 RGB || Sentey Pro Revolution Gaming Mouse || Beyerdynamic DT 990 Premium 250 Ohm Headphone || Benq XL2420Z Monitor

My dad has gotten his iPhone 6+ stolen twice within a month. Granted one of those times was mostly his fault for letting it lie around randomly. I guess those theives haven't gotten the memo though lol.

Hope he has insurance lol.

Hope he has insurance lol.

Nope haha. He could get another one if he wants but he is just going to go for a cheaper phone so thieves won't be so inclined to steal it.

My PC: i7 3770k @ 4.4 Ghz || Hyper 212 Evo || Intel Extreme Motherboard DZ77GA || EVGA Hybrid 980ti || Corsair Vengeance Blue 16GB || Samsung 840 Evo 120 GB || WD Black 1TB

Peripherals: Corsair K70 RGB || Sentey Pro Revolution Gaming Mouse || Beyerdynamic DT 990 Premium 250 Ohm Headphone || Benq XL2420Z Monitor

Nope haha. He could get another one if he wants but he is just going to go for a cheaper phone so thieves won't be so inclined to steal it.

So iPhone 5?

So iPhone 5?

That's actually the back up phone he is using right now. I think he is going for an HTC one or something.

With how well touch id works, I could sacrifice the slight inconvenience to make sure Find my iPhone doesn't become useless :D

I have a 5 so i don't have touch ID  :(

CPU: i7-4790k @ 4.7Ghz MOBO: ASUS ROG Maximums VII Hero  GPU: Asus GTX 780ti Directcu ii SLI RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance PSU: Corsair AX860 Case: Corsair 450D Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250 GB, WD Black 1TB Cooling: Corsair H100i with Noctua fans Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift

laptop

Some ASUS model. Has a GT 550M, i7-2630QM, 4GB or ram and a WD Black SSD/HDD drive. MacBook Pro 13" base model
iPhone 5 64GB, iPad air 128GB, iPod Touch 32GB 3rd Gen and an iPod nano 4GB 3rd Gen. Both the touch and nano are working perfectly as far as I can tell :)

*cough* Jailbreak *cough*

ya ya I am not going to jail break it for that one feature. If there is more I want I might but I've never felt the need so far. 

laptop

so what's the difference between this and reporting any phone stolen (isn't there a list of stolen IMEI numbers that can't be reactivated)?

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

I wonder, is there already software out there that will crack/bypass this?

There is. I am from Europe and in our part of the world there are all of these little Pakistani shops where they crack this in the matter of minutes. My gf forgot her password on her iPhone 5s and we just took it to one of these shops and got it fixed for 15 euros ~ 17 USD and it only took like half an hour. I am not really into phones, but when we got it back I noticed that the IMEI shown on in iOS was different than the one on the phone itself, something which should be impossible. 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 - 3900x @ 4.4GHz with a Custom Loop | MBO: ASUS Crosshair VI Extreme | RAM: 4x4GB Apacer 2666MHz overclocked to 3933MHz with OCZ Reaper HPC Heatsinks | GPU: PowerColor Red Devil 6900XT | SSDs: Intel 660P 512GB SSD and Intel 660P 1TB SSD | HDD: 2x WD Black 6TB and Seagate Backup Plus 8TB External Drive | PSU: Corsair RM1000i | Case: Cooler Master C700P Black Edition | Build Log: here

Kewl, But i still think Apple has a built in backdoor for NSA or whatever,this just blocks 2 & 3rd party as far as i'm concerned even tho they publically said that they don't let anyone access their phone data, Big Companies ALWAYS lie straight to your face...

Details separate people.

so what's the difference between this and reporting any phone stolen (isn't there a list of stolen IMEI numbers that can't be reactivated)?

This can be done in conjunction with reporting a IMEI as stolen. 

This way permanently bricks the phone. It can't be activated, it can't even make it past the "setup" screen where it asks for the prior owners login information AND the best part is that the previous owner can remote wipe the phone the next time it comes into WiFi/Data range, but those wipes still don't remove the activation lock so you still need to login. The only way to disable this system is to do it from the phone settings, which requires the users account password anyways and physical access to the device.