What's with the 'thanks for your service' and such to soldiers etc

I don't see people doing this in any other country than in America? Just curious.

In the Netherlands when somebody goes in the military it's more because the person wants to go there and always wanted to go there and not ouf of necessity(I think in the US it's out of necessity a lot of times? Don't know, can somebody correct me?) . Nobody here ever said 'thanks for your service' or something.

But if an American soldier says he was in the army then people are all very thankful etc.

Mindset of people here pretty much is :  It's a dangerous and tough job, but you chose it

Can somebody explain the difference in perception between the US and other countries?

It's confusing is all.

It's more of like a, "hey thanks for trying to protect me, appreciate it"

It's just common courtesy 

"My opinion is that your opinion is wrong." - AlwaysFSX    CPU I5 4690k MB MSI Gaming 5 RAM 2 x 4GB HyperX Blu DDR3 GPU Asus GTX970 Strix,  Case Corsair 760T Storage 1 x 120GB 840EVO 1 x 1TB WD Blue, 1 x 500GB Toshiba  

The cave/beast v2 (OLD) http://imgur.com/a/8AmeH                                  PSU 600W Raidmax RX600AF Displays ASUS VS278Q-P x2, BenQ Xl2720z Cooling Dark Rock 3, 4 AP120s Keyboard Logitech G710+ Mouse Razer Deathadder 

In the US  being a veteran means a lot to everybody. i feel like people here choose to go into the army because they do not really know what they want to do.

off topic

the US militairy is too damn large.

Intel 3570k 3,4@4,5 1,12v Scythe Mugen 3 gigabyte 770     MSi z77a GD55    corsair vengeance 8 gb  corsair CX600M Bitfenix Outlaw 4 casefans

Yeah I guess it's in that line of things :P

In the US culture it is but here it isn't at all, I think it's even frowned upon.

In the US  being a veteran means a lot to everybody. i feel like people here choose to go into the army because they do not really know what they want to do.

off topic

the US militairy is too damn large.

Ya think!? 

4A8078449E794DFB8CC33ADD00A6F1AF.gif

"My opinion is that your opinion is wrong." - AlwaysFSX    CPU I5 4690k MB MSI Gaming 5 RAM 2 x 4GB HyperX Blu DDR3 GPU Asus GTX970 Strix,  Case Corsair 760T Storage 1 x 120GB 840EVO 1 x 1TB WD Blue, 1 x 500GB Toshiba  

The cave/beast v2 (OLD) http://imgur.com/a/8AmeH                                  PSU 600W Raidmax RX600AF Displays ASUS VS278Q-P x2, BenQ Xl2720z Cooling Dark Rock 3, 4 AP120s Keyboard Logitech G710+ Mouse Razer Deathadder 

Veteran here, stop saying thanks for your service, it's annoying as fuck.

When people say veteran I always think of old people who were veterans in WW2, just pictured you as an 80 year old or something :P

"Stop being nice, you're being annoying as fuck"

"Stop being nice, you're being annoying as fuck"

Maybe it's just a job to him and he doesn't want thanks. 

I mean, other professions don't get that kind of thanks.

Maybe it's just a job to him and he doesn't want thanks. 

I mean, other professions don't get that kind of thanks.

Doctors, nurses, scientists etc... 

Doctors, nurses, scientists etc... 

Don't see them getting 'thanks for your service' :P

Only thanks when the patients get better or they invent/discover something very neat.

Only thanks when the patients get better or they invent/discover something very neat.

It still has the same meaning though doesn't it.

Simple Stryker (Now Finished  ;) )

The Terrible HP

It still has the same meaning though doesn't it.

Nah, it really doesn't seem that way.

Soldiers get thanked no matter what. (not that they don't deserve it or something, but just pointing it out)

It's not: Ever notice how all reality TV shows eventually sponsor at least one soldier related episode per season? There's always that one veteran that just happens to join the competition or need a new house or own a failing restaurant or whatever? How you can find a military stand on every sporting event ever? It's just plain and simple propaganda. It shows it's ugly face and true colors when people who are against the war question with the rhetoric of "Hey soldiers are heroes trying to protect us!" even when presented with overwhelming evidence of torture, war crimes and 0 justification for war and occupation?

It's because of this stupid construct of it being "common courtesy" when the OP correctly diagnoses that on non-expansionist countries with just adequate military presence no such "courtesy" exists, which should be the opposite seeing how most other military forces on other countries are actually there to protect it's citizens and not to invade countries for clearly economical reasons.

-------

Current Rig

-------

Ya think!?

4A8078449E794DFB8CC33ADD00A6F1AF.gif

Spreadin' Freedom ain't cheap. MURRICA! :P

Core i7 4820K  |  NH-D14 | Rampage IV Extreme | Asus R9 280X DC2T | 8GB G.Skill TridentX | 120GB Samsung 840 | NZXT H440  |  Be quiet! Dark Power Pro 10 650W

Thanks for your service. :P

Soldiers are a good representation of the freedoms we take for granted in NA.  When thanking them, it's like we're thanking them for our way of life.

On a more cheeky note, maybe we wouldn't have had to liberate your Dutch asses if you guys had different attitudes :P

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

It's not: Ever notice how all reality TV shows eventually sponsor at least one soldier related episode per season? There's always that one veteran that just happens to join the competition or need a new house or own a failing restaurant or whatever? How you can find a military stand on every sporting event ever? It's just plain and simple propaganda. It shows it's ugly face and true colors when people who are against the war question with the rhetoric of "Hey soldiers are heroes trying to protect us!" even when presented with overwhelming evidence of torture, war crimes and 0 justification for war and occupation?

It's because of this stupid construct of it being "common courtesy" when the OP correctly diagnoses that on non-expansionist countries with just adequate military presence no such "courtesy" exists, which should be the opposite seeing how most other military forces on other countries are actually there to protect it's citizens and not to invade countries for clearly economical reasons.

This is all i could think off while reading your comment

alog9z.jpg

To me it feels like they chose to kill for a living. Sorry, I don't have a lot of sympathy for that.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

I think this may be due to the fact the United States has such a large and powerful military that it is more promoted in their society.  In many European countries, Canada included the military is such a small part of society that it isn't thought of as much.  I don't think that is in the sense that people appreciate it less, but it is simply not displayed in such a grandoise way.

Soldiers are a good representation of the freedoms we take for granted in NA.  When thanking them, it's like we're thanking them for our way of life.

People keep saying that and i never understand what its actually supposed to mean (as a non american). What would really happen if america didnt fight all those foreign wars? Fighting for freedom seems a bit like a cliche unless the country is being invaded imo.

Core i7 4820K  |  NH-D14 | Rampage IV Extreme | Asus R9 280X DC2T | 8GB G.Skill TridentX | 120GB Samsung 840 | NZXT H440  |  Be quiet! Dark Power Pro 10 650W

I do that because I'm a big military fan, and I know what those guys go through, and it's more than I can do, so I give them the respect I think they deserve.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Most things they get is aggression

Intel 3570k 3,4@4,5 1,12v Scythe Mugen 3 gigabyte 770     MSi z77a GD55    corsair vengeance 8 gb  corsair CX600M Bitfenix Outlaw 4 casefans

This is all i could think off while reading your comment

alog9z.jpg

No it is not: Do you realize that the military has it's own advertisement budget and can basically request collaborations with the TV networks for their very own brand of product placement?

-------

Current Rig

-------