Shaw internet rates increasing on January 1, 2015. Existing customers affected.

Aniallation

Here in Calgary, Canada, I play $60 a month for 25mbps download and 2mbps upload speeds. Yes, 60 dollars. If that wasn't ridiculous enough compared to many of you outside North America, that monthly charge is going up to $67 a month. These price raises also affect other people using different internet speed plans on the Shaw network.

Source: http://www.shaw.ca/Customer-Bulletins/January-2015-Internet-Rate-Adjustment/

Honestly I think this is ridiculous. Us Canadians may use a lot of internet, but our speeds are stupid slow for the price, and we certainly do not use enough to make us the biggest Internet bandwidth hogs in the world.

Effective January 1, 2015, Shaw is increasing regular monthly rates on all Internet plans to support continued investment in building and supporting the Internet experience you need now and in the future.

Canadians use the Internet more than anyone else in the world. We are doing more than just browsing the web and checking email – we’re conducting business, watching videos and movies, streaming TV shows and talking to our loved ones with video chat. Today the average home has 10 WiFi devices with modern appliances, tablets, phones, and home security all increasing traffic on the network. By 2018, Internet traffic is estimated to triple*.

We’re committed to delivering you the best Internet experience as we grow our hybrid fibre-optic network, in and out of the home, to keep up with your online activities. At Shaw, we love the Internet as much as you do and we know the best is yet to come.

Please know that we are committed to providing you with services and plans that fit your needs and welcome any questions you may have. You will be notified on your invoice of your new monthly rate, 30 days in advance of any changes. If you continue to have any questions, please check your bill online through My Account or connect with our Shaw representatives online through live chat or the Shaw Support Community or by phone at 1-888-279-9114.

*Source: Cisco Systems, “VNI Forecast – Canada Internet Traffic"

"Rawr XD"

With Telus, 6/1 at $60 a month. Gotta agree with you, internet is far too expensive here in Canada.

PC Specs: 

CPU: i7-9700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Elite | RAM: 16GB's Team T-Force Vulcan 3000MHz | GPU: Zotac GTX 1070 8GB AMP! Edition  | Storage: 500GB WD Caviar Blue | 1TB WD Caviar Black | Crucial BX200 240GB SSD | OS: Windows 10 64-bit  | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 650W 80+ Gold | CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14 | Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Headphones: Sennheiser HD 598 Special Edition's, HD 598 Cs | Keyboard: CM Storm QuickFire XT MX Blues Monitors: Acer GN246HL 144Hz, Acer G226HQLBbd 60Hz | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro.

It's only going to get worse. Couple of years ago, I remember about talks of 250mpbs and etc. Now we are at 100mbps and even rumored to be removing that.

I'm at 100mpbs and it cost an arm and leg since I'm a student.

I just looked up the pricing of Google Fiber... Dayum.

150/30 in Canada for me is ~100. (I am bundled with Phone and TV as well, but the internet alone is $100.)

omg 67 a month for 25Mbps, I pay above 70 for 10Mbps, cry me a fucking river.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

"Shaw is increasing regular monthly rates on all Internet plans to support continued investment in building and supporting the Internet experience you need now and in the future." Really means "We want more money"

I pay $30 for 5.5 down and 0.5 up, and that's shitty DSL with lots of network down time and terrible slowness at peak hours. This is also USD, not CAD. 

Aesthetics of rigs matter

If you're interested, participate in LTT Build Offs

With Telus, 6/1 at $60 a month. Gotta agree with you, internet is far too expensive here in Canada.

Really? I'm paying $60 for 25/5 on telus

Main rig: i7 3770K @ 4.54, Sapphire R9 290, Sabertooth Z77, 16 GB Mushkin Redline 2133, Lian Li PC-P50R, Seasonic 860xp Platinum, Kingston Hyper X 3K 240GB

freeNAS server: AMD Athlon II 170u 20W, 5 x 3TB WD Red in raid-z1 (12 TB)

media centre: AMD A10-5700, crucial M4 (boot), running XBMC,4 x 3TB WD Red, 3 x 3TB WD green + 2TB green in FlexRAID (17 TB)

I pay $107 usd for 60/6 with comcast it was previously 30/5 before they upgraded our speed.

my rig intel 3570k| r9-290 tri-x oc| gigabyte z77ud-3h | 8gb gskill ripjaws | noctua nh-d14| corsair 760i psu | carbide 500r case | HP ZR2740w monitor 2560x1440 | asus vk278Q monitor 1920x1080 | logitech g700s mouse | logitech g510 keyboard |

It costs nearly or over a hundred bucks over here for 20 down and 10 up. They bundle other things with that (Such as cable), but I would rather a cheaper net only plan be available.

We all need a daily check-up from the neck up to avoid stinkin' thinkin' which ultimately leads to the hardening of attitudes. - Zig Ziglar

The sad fact about atheists is that they stand for nothing while standing against things that have brought much good to the world. Now ain't that sad. - Anonymous

Replace fear with faith and fear will disappear. - Billy Cox  ......................................Also, Legalism, Education-bred Arrogance and Hubris-based Assumption are BULLSHIT.

Internet costs are outrageous these days.  I pay an insane $45/month for only 100/100 connection speed.  It is unlimited usage (no data cap), but still, $45?.. come on, ridiculous

Here in Calgary, Canada, I play $60 a month for 25mbps download and 2mbps upload speeds. Yes, 60 dollars. If that wasn't ridiculous enough compared to many of you outside North America, that monthly charge is going up to $67 a month. These price raises also affect other people using different internet speed plans on the Shaw network.

Source: http://www.shaw.ca/Customer-Bulletins/January-2015-Internet-Rate-Adjustment/

Honestly I think this is ridiculous. Us Canadians may use a lot of internet, but our speeds are stupid slow for the price, and we certainly do not use enough to make us the biggest Internet bandwidth hogs in the world.

I moved to Calgary in 2005. I went from pay $35 a month to almost $50 for the same damn service. With that being said, I also own a home in Olds and that rural community built it's own gigabit ISP.

Check it out: http://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/small-alberta-town-gets-massive-1-000-mbps-broadband-boost-1.1382428

It's only going to get worse. Couple of years ago, I remember about talks of 250mpbs and etc. Now we are at 100mbps and even rumored to be removing that.

I'm at 100mpbs and it cost an arm and leg since I'm a student.

Cause nobody buys it. Broadband 100 is stupid expensive at $100 a month. People like the one below me pay $45 for the same download speed and 20x higher upload speed. 

Internet costs are outrageous these days.  I pay an insane $45/month for only 100/100 connection speed.  It is unlimited usage (no data cap), but still, $45?.. come on, ridiculous

Here it's $105 for 100/5 with a 750GB limit and thats the highest you can get.

"Rawr XD"

my virgin media just went up by about £5

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

I pay 80 for 10/0.6 in Florida, in my area the only provider is brighthouse (time warner) and for 40 mbps they charge around 120. I talked to smaller isps and they said that due to a local law only time warner can provide cable services over my area.

I need to check my account

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

$90 AUD/month for "upto" ADSL 2/2+ but realistically capped at 8000kbps/384kbps because of effed-up local phone exchange needing replacement 15 years ago...

I'm kinda lucky to be with Westnet who've got good customer service, but I'm effed up because Hellstra owns the copper in these parts and is unlikely to upgrade the phone exchange for ADSL 2 or better capabilities until the NBN possibly rolls through here - as butchered to Hell and back it will be.

I'm currently paying $55CAD for unlimited 20 down 5 up. My previous ISP that I switched from earlier this year was charging me $110 for 14 down and 1 up, and 400GB monthly limit (their name sounds similar to Blogeco).

Sometimes it pays to shop around, but 67 bucks for 25 down 2 up isn't that bad really.

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

Wow. Sucks to be a Shaw customer!

Meanwhile in Finland, my old 100/5 connection I paid 40 euros per month for got "upgraded" to 100/10 and price went down to 20 euros per month, too.

I know someone with shaw in Vancouver, he has 50 down and ? up. everyday it throttles like a b.... at the same time each day, shaw doesn't do anything about itand still charge absurd rates.

Cause nobody buys it. Broadband 100 is stupid expensive at $100 a month. People like the one below me pay $45 for the same download speed and 20x higher upload speed. 

Here it's $105 for 100/5 with a 750GB limit and thats the highest you can get.

Yeah and the rumor is they increasing prices and removing 100mpbs. With the new speed being 60mbps with similar pricing for the former 100mpbs.

I makes me just want to ride a custom fiber optic to my house lol.

The prices are ridiculous for Internet. I pay $100 a month for 100/5. Home Internet is becoming more and more like mobile Internet in terms of pricing. They just keep getting higher and higher.

CPU: Intel i7 4770k 4.3ghz MOBO: Asus Z87 Sabertooth RAM: 2x8GB RipJaws 1866mhz GPU: 2x GTX780ti SLI 1.2ghz SSD: 960GB 2x Intel 730 RAID0 CASE: Fractal Design Define S COOLING: Custom EK watercooling loop