Is the Alienware Alpha worth getting, what are your thoughts

Hey guys, would like for you guys to contribute your thoughts in the recent Alienware Alpha and if it's even worth getting.

The Alienware Alphalfa? Nah, probably not. :D

ON A 7 MONTH BREAK FROM THESE LTT FORUMS. WILL BE BACK ON NOVEMBER 5th.

Advisor in the 'Displays' Sub-forum | Sony Vegas Pro Enthusiast & Advisor

Tech Tips Christian Fellowship Founder & Coordinator 

Only reason that would be worth it is if u are fine buying a completely new system everytime u want to upgrade the gpu and looking for the smallest form factor.

Alienware is charging way to much for it. Try to build it on your own, it is soooo easy. Especially when you have a Forum like LTT that helps you anywhere you need help.

CPU: Xeon 1230v3 - GPU: GTX 770  - SSD: 120GB 840 Evo - HDD: WD Blue 1TB - RAM: Ballistix 8GB - Case: CM N400 - PSU: CX 600M - Cooling: Cooler Master 212 Evo

Update Plans: Mini ITX this bitch

Nope.

And there are plenty of computer stores that will assemble a system for you from parts you pick for a reasonable fee.

Average is about $35.

Alienware is like Apple, they charge you hundreds of dollars extra for a badge on a case.

Building systems is pretty easy, hell of a lot easier then most LEGO sets actually.

One of those steam machines i assume. Not really worth it, because you can build something better for the same price at a slightly bigger form factor, unless you really need it to be as small as possible.

And yeah, pre built isn't a popular thing to discuss here. Almost everybody here has a custom rig that they assembled themselves. So everybody will tell you that building it yourself is better, and it actually is. :D

Asus B85M-G / Intel i5-4670 / Sapphire 290X Tri-X / 16GB RAM (Corsair Value 1x8GB + Crucial 2x4GB) @1333MHz / Coolermaster B600 (600W) / Be Quiet! Silent Base 800 / Adata SP900 128GB SSD & WD Green 2TB & SG Barracuda 1TB / Dell AT-101W / Logitech G502 / Acer G226HQL & X-Star DP2710LED

Like many people have said you can build a PC allot cheaper than you can buy one from Alienware and there's a lot more satisfaction in doing the research, finding the best parts, ordering it all, building it and then having an awesome computer to show off. This is just my opinion though, if you're at all interested I've put one of Linus's best build guides below.

Ok guys i feel yah, However you are looking at it from a "DIY PC is better and faster" perspective. I see it as a smaller than XBONE and PS4 PC that can run modern games a medium details at 1080p with no problems. its running a custom skinned Windows 8.1 so it will support Direct X 12. At its starting price point i see it as a bridge between longtime console gamers and first time PC gamers. the people buying this are probably not interested in upgrading the GPU or adding more RAM or investing in $30 a pop fans so its quiet. What Console gamers want is games with everyone else that look good, in there living room with there controller (or keyboard and mouse) with the only hassle being plugging the thing in.

Hey guys, would like for you guys to contribute your thoughts in the recent Alienware Alpha and if it's even worth getting.

post-104353-0-55655800-1416659191.jpg

"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs. And the Universe trying to produce bigger idiots.. The Universe is winning"

(Gaming PC) CPU:- i5 4690k 3.5GHZ . MOTHERBOARD:- MSI G45 Z97 Gaming . CPU Cooler:- H100i . GPU:- ASUS Geforce GTX-780ti Direct CU II OC -x2 SLI . RAM:- 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz 4x4GB . CASE:- Corsair 750D Obsidian Series . PSU:- EVGA SuperNova 850W Gold . FANS:- x3 Corsair AF120 RED LED, x2 Corsair AF120 (Red rings) .STORAGE:- Kingston V300 120GB (Boot Drive), x2 1TB WD Blues, x2 500GB Samsungs .

Spoiler

KEYBOARD:- Logitech G19. | GAMEPAD:- Logitech G13. | HEADPHONES:- Logitech G35. | MOUSE:- CM Storm Sentinel Advanced II. | JOYSTICK:- Saitek ST200. | RACING WHEEL:- Logitech Driving Force GT. | OTHER:- TrackIR 5 + Vector Clip | CounterStrike XXL Mousemat

Ok guys i feel yah, However you are looking at it from a "DIY PC is better and faster" perspective. I see it as a smaller than XBONE and PS4 PC that can run modern games a medium details at 1080p with no problems. its running a custom skinned Windows 8.1 so it will support Direct X 12. At its starting price point i see it as a bridge between longtime console gamers and first time PC gamers. the people buying this are probably not interested in upgrading the GPU or adding more RAM or investing in $30 a pop fans so its quiet. What Console gamers want is games with everyone else that look good, in there living room with there controller (or keyboard and mouse) with the only hassle being plugging the thing in.

And losing ALOT of money?

For something that ISNT worth it?

And there are very small cases around.

if you learn how to build one you wont have to buy a new one after six months because your current one wont cut it,

Because you KNOW  how to upgrade.

And its better to say (imo)

I built my own computer

Than:

I got ripped of by a Big Brand Because it Looked "cool"

I3-4150 | Be Quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 | 8GB KINGSTON FURY RAM | MSI Z97-G43 | HYPERX FURY 120GB SSD SAPPHIRE HD7950 VAPOR-X | Phanteks Enthoo Pro M | EVGA 500W | Corsair SP120's w/ NZXT Fan Hub

Plans: I5-4690K || EVGA GS 650W | KINGSTON FURY 8GB RAM  PCPARTPICKER: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/

All im saying is, For that Price you Can Get SOOOOOOO much more Graphics Capability

I3-4150 | Be Quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 | 8GB KINGSTON FURY RAM | MSI Z97-G43 | HYPERX FURY 120GB SSD SAPPHIRE HD7950 VAPOR-X | Phanteks Enthoo Pro M | EVGA 500W | Corsair SP120's w/ NZXT Fan Hub

Plans: I5-4690K || EVGA GS 650W | KINGSTON FURY 8GB RAM  PCPARTPICKER: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/

No not really interested.

Intel i7 4702MQ| Nvidia GTX 850M| Kingston 16GB DDR3 1600Mhz| Acer VA70_HW (mobo)| 1TB WD Blue| MATSHITA DVD-RAM UJ8E0|1600x900 display|Win 8.1

Intel i5 4690K @Stock| Sapphire 390 Nitro| Hyper X Fury 2x4GB| MSI SLI Krait z97| Noctua Nh-U12S | 850 EVO 256GB| 2TB WD Black | CM V 850w| Enthoo Luxe

If you want to tag me or any person with periods do: @[Member='Name]

Just an overpriced Dell

There are countless other options at price points that actually make sense.

SSDD