is it just me or is the 5K iMac and Mac mini not good enough?

asim1999

I think that the hardware inside them is not sufficient.

I think that the GPU in the iMac is not sufficient cos it is a laptop graphics chip. Maxwell desktop chips would be perfect cos they have a low tdp or they should at least include SLI 980Ms do drive a 5k display

Also the Mac mini is underpowered cos it only has a dual core i5\i7 and the equivalent mini PCs include quad core versions of these chips at much lower prices

Current Rig:   CPU: AMD 1950X @4Ghz. Cooler: Enermax Liqtech TR4 360. Motherboard:Asus Zenith Extreme. RAM: 8GB Crucial DDR4 3666. GPU: Reference GTX 970  SSD: 250GB Samsung 970 EVO.  HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 2TB. Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro. PSU: Corsair RM1000X. OS: Windows 10 Pro UEFI mode  (installed on SSD)

Peripherals:  Display: Acer XB272 1080p 240Hz G Sync Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Brown Mouse: Logitech G502 RGB Headhet: Roccat XTD 5.1 analogue

Daily Devices:Sony Xperia XZ1 Compact and 128GB iPad Pro

They are fine for non-gamer home users

I think that the GPU in the iMac is not sufficient cos it is a laptop graphics chip. Maxwell desktop chips would be perfect cos they have a low tdp or they should at least include SLI 980Ms do drive a 5k display

Also the Mac mini is underpowered cos it only has a dual core i5\i7 and the equivalent mini PCs include quad core versions of these chips at much lower prices

The mac is not aimed at gamers. as far as video and photo editing go, the AMD mobile chip will do a perfectly good job at this task even in programs like Apeture/Photoshop and Premier/Final Cut

Dont forget the 5k display is included in the price!

The mac mini is a basic entry level desktop, for how it will be used and who it will be used by it will be perfectly powerful for browsing documents basic photo edidint in iPhoto and iMovie, perhaps for a school kid, or young family

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Macs are not for gaming, they are home and productivity based, so they're perfect for that. They were never made for gamers, the hardware is just right for the application.

PCs

Spoiler
Spoiler

Branwen (2015 build) - CPU: i7 4790K GPU:EVGA GTX 1070 SC PSU: XFX XTR 650W RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX fury Motherboard: MSI Z87 MPower MAX AC SSD: Crucial MX100 256GB + Crucial MX300 1TB  Case: Silverstone RV05 Cooler: Corsair H80i V2 Displays: AOC AGON AG241QG & BenQ BL2420PT Build log: link 

Spoiler

Netrunner (2020 build) - CPU: AMD R7 3700X GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 (from 2015 build) PSU: Corsair SF600 platinum RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix RGB 3600Mhz cl16 Motherboard: Gigabyte Aorus X570i pro wifi SSD: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB Case: Lian Li TU150W black Cooler: Be Quiet! Dark Rock Slim

It's enough for what it is used for, you could argue it isn't enough for the price but design & marketing are expensive. Apple also uses nice ips displays I imagine those being expensive.

CPU: Intel Xeon E3-1240 v3 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z87-HD3 RAM: 16 GB GeIL Dragon 1600mhz GPU: Gigabyte Windforce 770OC 2GB Case: Corsair Obsidian 450D Storage: 1TB WD, Blue, 120GB, munch ssd PSU: 600w Corsair 

Display: aoc tn something, Dell ips U24..  Keyboard: CM storm quickfire xt Brown switches Mouse: Logitech G502, Pricing: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/8CBWjX

Those hardwares are really powerful as they can do video and picture editing on a 5K display

Gaming require stupidly powerful hardware if you compare it with workstation PC-s ( not talking about render farms now).

It's Mac... what ever did you expect?

The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.

well mac mini isnt powerful, u can get a more powerful laptop for the same price or even less

Current Rig:   CPU: AMD 1950X @4Ghz. Cooler: Enermax Liqtech TR4 360. Motherboard:Asus Zenith Extreme. RAM: 8GB Crucial DDR4 3666. GPU: Reference GTX 970  SSD: 250GB Samsung 970 EVO.  HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 2TB. Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro. PSU: Corsair RM1000X. OS: Windows 10 Pro UEFI mode  (installed on SSD)

Peripherals:  Display: Acer XB272 1080p 240Hz G Sync Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Brown Mouse: Logitech G502 RGB Headhet: Roccat XTD 5.1 analogue

well mac mini isnt powerful, u can get a more powerful laptop for the same price or even less

with a 5k display?

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

with a 5k display?

The 5K display doesn't come with the Mini, it is the iMac.

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

From the way this post sounds when one says it, it sounds like you're trying to find something just to pin Apple from an inherint disdain for them.

And no, you can't. I just hit up Newegg (I could have gone to more retailers, but their prices are around the same) and for the price of a base Mac Mini, you can get a laptop with an i5 4210Y, 4GB RAM and a 500GB HDD. That is actually near-identical to the specs of a base Mac Mini, which has an i5 4260U, 4GB of RAM and a 500GB HDD. The Mac Mini actually has a more powerful GPU, albeit it's CPU clock is 200MHz slower (at the base, same boost.} Not really enough to make a significant difference though.

And they aren't exactly comparable as options. You're comparing a laptop to a slim desktop. With the Mini, you have the option to use an IPS panel as opposed to the terrible TN panels that $500 laptops use, as you can also more easily upgrade components (it's pretty simple with a Mac Mini, I would know.) With a laptop, you can bring it anywhere and use it without being tethered to a power source. And it comes with a keyboard and mouse.

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

oh ok, good ppint. but i was thinking more towards the i7 end where the mac mini competes with equivalent i7 laptops at that price range,

and all of u, great feedback

The 5K display doesn't come with the Mini, it is the iMac.

thenwhatisa5kMacmini?

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

thenwhatisa5kMacmini?

It doesn't exist. The mac mini doesn't have a monitor

It doesn't exist. The mac mini doesn't have a monitor

Ah just relized he was saying "5k Imac" and "Mac mini" not "5k imac and mac mini"

That's a fine opinion.  But when you actually look at the whole 5K iMac package, it's a splendid deal. 

Looking superficially, for $2500 there's a beautiful enclosure, solid wireless peripherals, and a 5K display.     Most consumers are still trying to buy 4K displays for several hundred dollars.   The display in the iMac is phenomenal.  Go look at one with an open mind and you'll agree. 

And the rest of the hardware inside is actually very respectable and still reasonably priced.  Apple uses PCIe solid state drives.  Much faster than SATA3 and more expensive, too.   8GB memory?   Look in the Builds section and you'll see every one posting PC Part Pickers with 8GB because of the price and it's "more than enough."  Graphics?  Let's face it, an R9 290X 2GB isn't exactly a piece of crap either.   Sure, it's not as expensive as the top-tier Nvidia GPUs, but that's not exactly the point of an iMac. 

I think TheSLSAMG hit the nail on the head.  There's a bit of targeted angst for Apple based on your wording.  Having opinions about a company is fine, but I think it's clouding your judgment of pure hardware. 

For people who edit high-res video, an iMac wouldn't be super awful. That display is quite nice and PCI SSD's are super freaking fast. Can't honestly fault the new iMac. Some will say BUT DEE HARDWARES AREN'T MONEY GOOD. BS. Macs nowadays keep up with hardware-to-dollar ratio that other prebuilts follow and are much better made than a fair majority of them.

That said, the Mac Mini has always been kinda "meh" to me. Now that they have locked RAM, it's kinda just a really sad box now...

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

My parents said I wasn't good enough either and I turned out alright. jk.

Depends on your use, I would love a mac mini for light programming and web streaming. Also it's the cheapest way to get Mac OS which you'll need if you're trying to program iOS apps for example or just want to get a feel for Yosemite.

[spoiler=pc specs:]cpu: i5-4670k | mobo: z87-pro | cpu cooler: h100i | ram: 8gb vengeance pro | gpu: gtx770 ftw 4gb | case: nzxt switch 810 matte black | storage: 240gb ssd; 1tb hdd | psu: 750w corsair rm |
keyboards: max nighthawk x8 mx brown + blue led; corsair k60 mx red; ducky shine 3 tkl mx blue + orange led | mouse: deathadder black edition | audio: FiiO E10; sennheiser hd558; grado sr80i; sony mdr-nc200d; blue snowball |

My parents said I wasn't good enough either and I turned out alright. jk.

Depends on your use, I would love a mac mini for light programming and web streaming. Also it's the cheapest way to get Mac OS which you'll need if you're trying to program iOS apps for example or just want to get a feel for Yosemite.

build a cheap hackintosh

I have seen the 5k Mac in person, and compared it side by side to this

http://www.samsung.com/us/computer/monitors/LU28D590DS/ZA

And I can see very little difference in the screen quality

In terms of the Mac mini, I'm never going to buy one (hackintosh, duh) but they have dropped the price by 100$, and it still has the CPU architecture.

build a cheap hackintosh

or buy a used mac mini from ebay  ;)

I actually like the case/form factor of the mini.

[spoiler=pc specs:]cpu: i5-4670k | mobo: z87-pro | cpu cooler: h100i | ram: 8gb vengeance pro | gpu: gtx770 ftw 4gb | case: nzxt switch 810 matte black | storage: 240gb ssd; 1tb hdd | psu: 750w corsair rm |
keyboards: max nighthawk x8 mx brown + blue led; corsair k60 mx red; ducky shine 3 tkl mx blue + orange led | mouse: deathadder black edition | audio: FiiO E10; sennheiser hd558; grado sr80i; sony mdr-nc200d; blue snowball |

Eh, the iMac will be fine, as others have said not as if you will game on it. Mac mini's are just pathetic in their own right.

or buy a used mac mini from ebay  ;)

I actually like the case/form factor of the mini.

Or just don't bother and say you did but instead source worth while components to facilitate your desires with.

The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.