US Govt Pushing for Chip + PIN

ionbasa

yeah the only thing i dont like it is that if my phone gets stolen they have that sticker on the back while if it uses nfc your phone needs to be unlocked to work

Out of curiosity, can't you use something like Google Wallet?

All NFC phones are able to install Google Wallet and use the tap to pay feature.

▶ Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. - Einstein◀

Please remember to mark a thread as solved if your issue has been fixed, it helps other who may stumble across the thread at a later point in time.

Out of curiosity, can't you use something like Google Wallet?

All NFC phones are able to install Google Wallet and use the tap to pay feature.

i have not seen any stores support google wallet

i have not seen any stores support google wallet

And the stupid thing is the infrastructure they need to introduce it is already in, it's all the same as paypass, they effectively only need to switch it on.  I believe you can even use paypal through NFC.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Am I the only one who doesn't see any advantage to cards over cash 

yeah I can just slip a single thin card into my phone case, I never have to waste time visiting an ATM or the bank, I can shop online, go to any store, I dont have to worry about running out, if its stolen I can call the bank immediately and cancel it, 

You dont end up carrying loads of change to making jingle jangle as you walk down the street

Cant wait for Apple Pay (or similar tech) so that I dont even have to carry my card around anymore

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

yeah I can just slip a single thin card into my phone case, I never have to waste time visiting an ATM or the bank, I can shop online, go to any store, I dont have to worry about running out, if its stolen I can call the bank immediately and cancel it, 

You dont end up carrying loads of change to making jingle jangle as you walk down the street

Cant wait for Apple Pay (or similar tech) so that I dont even have to carry my card around anymore

Still doesn't work when the power is out and the land lines go down. Unless you want someone calling your card information over their own private cell phone.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Still doesn't work when the power is out and the land lines go down. Unless you want someone calling your card information over their own private cell phone.

Offline carbon copy invoices, every decent retail store will have them:

credit_card_swiper.jpg

▶ Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. - Einstein◀

Please remember to mark a thread as solved if your issue has been fixed, it helps other who may stumble across the thread at a later point in time.

We use Chip and Pin here, never had an issue, we can still do manaul invoices and receipts, and we can actually force the system to accept a signature too 

but 99.999% of the time chip and pin works, replacing the card with a phone/multicard whatever is the next logical step, I have not carried cash since I was 13

Those require a phone line to call in to get a sale approval ( I used to use those a lot because our credit card service was terrible for some reason). I did say when the power and phones go down (which does happen), most retail stores have a policy against their employees using their own cell phones to call in credit card approvals, or at least we did.

Not to mention those swiper's can rip your card in half, or at least ours ran a very good chance of doing it, but they were older than me and poorly maintained.

Cash works everywhere at all times (other than online), it will always have that advantage.

No they dont, You can create a carbon copy and ring the sale in later when power is restored or when a phone is available

Also phone lines are powered independently of mains power, you can use a landline and  even when the mains are off

Also I have used my mobile to call card auth before, in fact I have done it many times especially if our phones were busy

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Offline carbon copy invoices, every decent retail store will have them:

-snip

Those require a phone line to call in to get a sale approval ( I used to use those a lot because our credit card service was terrible for some reason). I did say when the power and phones go down (which does happen), most retail stores have a policy against their employees using their own cell phones to call in credit card approvals, or at least we did.

Not to mention those swiper's can rip your card in half, or at least ours ran a very good chance of doing it, but they were older than me and poorly maintained.

Cash works everywhere at all times (other than online), it will always have that advantage.

We use Chip and Pin here, never had an issue, we can still do manaul invoices and receipts, and we can actually force the system to accept a signature too 

but 99.999% of the time chip and pin works, replacing the card with a phone/multicard whatever is the next logical step

Again, without power and without a phone to call in an approval for the sale, can you complete a card transaction? (chip + pin, whatever you want to call it). Too my knowledge you'd still need a phone to call in to the banking service to check the card number to assure that sufficient funds were in the account to approve the transaction.

No they dont, You can create a carbon copy and ring the sale in later when power is restored or when a phone is available

Also phone lines are powered independently of mains power, you can use a landline and  even when the mains are off

Also I have used my mobile to call card auth before, in fact I have done it many times especially if our phones were busy

Yeah, most businesses require you call the card number in and get an approval number to go with that carbon copy to be input later when the power comes back on, I used to work in retail. At least that's how we do it over here.

In Canada we have tap2pay which is horrible because anyone with the card can use it but yes pins are the way to go

It has a $100 per transaction limit. Any more than that you have to use the chip and PIN. If you lost your card just report it lost/stolen to your bank and get them to freeze the card from being used.

CPU: i7 4790K  RAM: 32 GB 2400 MHz  Motherboard: Asus Z-97 Pro  GPU: GTX 770  SSD: 256 GB Samsung 850 Pro  OS: Windows 8.1 64-bit

America is always pushing someone or something..

create a secure system with an easy backdoor from them , yeah right real secure.. :/

It's pretty secure. A lot better than just having a card, but it makes the most sense on credit cards and such.

Doesn't the UK and other parts of the world do this already? Aren't we like, really late to the game with it? 

Way too late. I've had mine for over 5 years.

I imagine it has something to do with fraud, and how it affects businesses. I'm sure they somehow make money off of it, and they'll see a slight loss.

I'm sure the insurance companies will rejoice.

In Canada we have tap2pay which is horrible because anyone with the card can use it but yes pins are the way to go

I agree about tap, im starting to see it everywhere and its the worst idea ever. ive even seen a few nfc enabled phones support it once you save your card information into it which is even worse.

I don't get what you guys don't like about tap to pay. Tap to pay is amazing. Yea, anyone can use the card. Same thing with cash, if you carry that. There's also a limit, usually quite low, on how much you can spend with tap to pay. I plan on getting it activated on my card as soon as I'm home and actually remember to log on and change it.

or if you forget your wallet and some shady person finds it..

And cash or a credit card without a pin or tap to pay is different how?

Nothing is really "secure" it's just harder to "fake". 

I personally just carry cash, I don't use cards =/

You're a dying breed my friend. I usually get a really surprised reaction when I pay with cash. Hell, we've even started reducing our floats because there just isn't as much demand for cash as there once was.

Am I the only one who doesn't see any advantage to cards over cash other than being able to order online?

Especially when the power is out and your precious card becomes entirely worthless.

Most businesses, large at least, have increased the prices of their goods to counter the cash back or travel rewards programs that most institutions are giving their customers, as well as the simple cost of having the transaction go through.

So, really, if you're not using plastic, you're paying more for your goods.

Fair enough, but you can't steal cash from someone using a computer, and cash works when the power is out and phones are down (storms, unrest, etc.)

There are a lot of places that won't accept any form of payment if there's no power. I mean, I do get what you're saying, but how often is the power out? Not too often. I'd say not often enough to worry about it (at least, I'd hope not, your area might be different). The unrest thing is good in theory, poor in practice. Chances are they'd gouge you dollar wise, and I'd rather not have massive amounts of cash laying around for such an event.

I do, however, usually have about $140 cash on me for the odd time you run across a restaurant or something that doesn't take cards.

Tap to pay is SUCH a horrible idea. When I hand someone my debit card and they tap it I'm like DAFUQ MAN! DON'T DO THAT!

Why? And why do you hand them your card at all?

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

-snip

I've never seen any gas station, liqour store, or grocery store, that won't sell things for cash when the power is out, just saying.

I've never seen any gas station, liqour store, or grocery store, that won't sell things for cash when the power is out, just saying.

I have. It's rather common here, and in two other cities I've lived in.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

Spoiler

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

America is always pushing someone or something..

create a secure system with an easy backdoor from them , yeah right real secure.. :/

There is still a portion of the NSA that is sticking to the original, great mission of making Americans more secure. (Which unfortunately is very much in conflict with the rest of the NSA which is spying on people, breaking security, and using loopholes). Chip and pin is legitimately a good technology and we loose billions to credit card theft, it is a huge issue.

Besides they don't need a chip and pin backdoor. I'm sure they can ask your bank for all your transactions and account details with a NSL anyway.

CPU: 5820k 4.5Ghz 1.28v, RAM: 16GB Crucial 2400mhz, Motherboard: Evga X99 Micro, Graphics Card: GTX 780, Water Cooling: EK Acetal CPU/GPU blocks,

240mm Magicool slim rad, 280mm Alphacool rad, D5 Vario pump, 1/4 ID 3/4 OD tubing, Noctua Redux 140/120mm fans. PSU: Evga 750w G2 SSD: Samsung 850 Pro 256GB & Seagate SSHD 2TB Audio: Sennheiser HD558s, JBL! speakers, Fiio E10k DAC/Amp Monitor: Xstar DP2710LED @ 96hz (Korean Monitor) Case: Fractal Node 804

How is this not a thing already!? We've had that here for a long time now 

====>The car thread<====>Dark Souls thread<====>Placeholder<====
"Life is like a raging river, Its gonna get rough downstream. And people's gonna piss in it" 

"Who discovered we could get milk from cows, and what did he THINK he was doing at the time?"

I have. It's rather common here, and in two other cities I've lived in.

That's just stupid, why would you turn down a customer with cash in hand? Write a hand receipt and do the taxes with a calculator like we did.

@dizmo I always pay with cash I don't even have a card lol.

I don't intend on changing, its funny seeing reactions when your paying for thousand dollar items with cash. I can manage my money much easier with cash too, easier to track for me.

*pulls out $100 for $12 meal*

Like watching Anime? Consider joining the unofficial LTT Anime Club Heaven Society~ ^.^

I don't intend on changing, its funny seeing reactions when your paying for thousand dollar items with cash. I can manage my money much easier with cash too, easier to track for me.

Funny story. I once went into a Panera Bread for lunch, and they had to get the manager to break my hundred dollar bill. It ended up being a pain in the derriere because the manager had to unlock a resister with enough cash...

And the stupid thing is the infrastructure they need to introduce it is already in, it's all the same as paypass, they effectively only need to switch it on.  I believe you can even use paypal through NFC.

indeed, most of the retail stores are fairly behind on technology or rarely upgrade

What! I can't see not having a card. It just makes sense to have one and have access to most of your money.

Not to mention how unsafe it can be, especially in the US, to carry around thousands of dollars in cash.

Up here, there are a lot of places that simply won't accept $50 or $100 bills, especially for transactions that small.

Spoiler

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

What! I can't see not having a card. It just makes sense to have one and have access to most of your money.

Not to mention how unsafe it can be, especially in the US, to carry around thousands of dollars in cash.

Up here, there are a lot of places that simply won't accept $50 or $100 bills, especially for transactions that small.

Yup no card. I always have $40 on me.

If I somehow get robbed while carrying large sums of money it'll be my own fault xD

I have a PayPal linked to my bank account but that's about it. Other than that I carry cash.

I don't make myself a easy target to rob so I should be fine.

Like watching Anime? Consider joining the unofficial LTT Anime Club Heaven Society~ ^.^

As long as they don't intend to eventually microchip people, whatever.

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

Yup no card. I always have $40 on me.

If I somehow get robbed while carrying large sums of money it'll be my own fault xD

I have a PayPal linked to my bank account but that's about it. Other than that I carry cash.

I don't make myself a easy target to rob so I should be fine.

I got a specific bank account to link with Paypal, just for that added level of security.

I'm surprised you don't at least have a card for emergency situations!

Spoiler

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

I got a specific bank account to link with Paypal, just for that added level of security.

I'm surprised you don't at least have a card for emergency situations!

*shrugs* I guess all I can say is I'm not easy to rob. 

I don't carry all my cash just in my wallet either. I have some compartments to keep em out of sight.