Is it worth me folding?

After my build, my laptop is going to see like crap. Is it worth me folding on it?

Specs:

AMD P440 @2.4GhZ

4GB RAM

No ded. GPU

Anything is good for folding.

Spoiler

CPU:Intel Xeon X5660 @ 4.2 GHz RAM:6x2 GB 1600MHz DDR3 MB:Asus P6T Deluxe GPU:Asus GTX 660 TI OC Cooler:Akasa Nero 3

SSD:OCZ Vertex 3 120 GB HDD:2x640 GB WD Black Fans:2xCorsair AF 120 PSU:Seasonic 450 W 80+ Case:Thermaltake Xaser VI MX OS:Windows 10
Speakers:Altec Lansing MX5021 Keyboard:Razer Blackwidow 2013 Mouse:Logitech MX Master Monitor:Dell U2412M Headphones: Logitech G430

Big thanks to Damikiller37 for making me an awesome Intel 4004 out of trixels!

You're gonna get a very low PPD score, i wouldn't bother tbh, unless the energy usage isn't gonna be an issue for you.

Shot through the heart and you're to blame, 30fps and i'll pirate your game - Bon Jovi

Take me down to the console city where the games are blurry and the frames are thirty - Guns N' Roses

Arguing with religious people is like explaining to your mother that online games can't be paused...

It's ALWAYS worth it.

ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ raise your dongers ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ

It feels as though no games ever leave the BETA stage anymore, until about 3 years after it officially releases. - Shd0w2 2014

i would probably fold more in one day than this rig in a year but still every bit helps the cause! :)

Gaming HTPC:

R5 5600X - Cryorig C7 - Asus ROG B350-i - EVGA RTX2060KO - 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V 3333mhz - Corsair SF450 - 500gb 960 EVO - LianLi TU100B

Desktop PC:
R9 3900X - Peerless Assassin 120 SE - Asus Prime X570 Pro - Powercolor 7900XT - 32gb LPX 3200mhz - Corsair SF750 Platinum - 1TB WD SN850X - CoolerMaster NR200 White - Gigabyte M27Q-SA - Corsair K70 Rapidfire - Logitech MX518 Legendary - HyperXCloud Alpha wireless

Boss-NAS [Build Log]:
R5 2400G - Noctua NH-D14 - Asus Prime X370-Pro - 16gb G.Skill Aegis 3000mhz - Seasonic Focus Platinum 550W - Fractal Design R5 - 
250gb 970 Evo (OS) - 2x500gb 860 Evo (Raid0) - 6x4TB WD Red (RaidZ2)

Synology-NAS:
DS920+
2x4TB Ironwolf - 1x18TB Seagate Exos X20

Audio Gear:

Hifiman HE-400i - Kennerton Magister - Beyerdynamic DT880 250Ohm - AKG K7XX - Fostex TH-X00 - O2 Amp/DAC Combo - 
Klipsch RP280F - Klipsch RP160M - Klipsch RP440C - Yamaha RX-V479

Reviews and Stuff:

GTX 780 DCU2 // 8600GTS // Hifiman HE-400i // Kennerton Magister
Folding all the Proteins! // Boincerino

Useful Links:
Do you need an AMP/DAC? // Recommended Audio Gear // PSU Tier List 

Has there been any success reported from folding?

13" Macbook Pro i7 (I7-3520M) | 16gb RAM | 128gb Sandisk SSD

Current build------------------------------Future build↓ 
Intel Core i7-4790K 3.5GHz Quad-Core | G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3 | Asus GTX 970 Strix | Corsair 450D ATX Mid Tower | EVGA SuperNOVA 750 | MSI Z97-GAMING 5 ATX LGA1150 | 128gb Sandisk SSD | Corsair H90 94.0 CFM Liquid

Has there been any success reported from folding?

I was wondering the same a while ago.

Hot damn. That's what I was looking for.

13" Macbook Pro i7 (I7-3520M) | 16gb RAM | 128gb Sandisk SSD

Current build------------------------------Future build↓ 
Intel Core i7-4790K 3.5GHz Quad-Core | G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3 | Asus GTX 970 Strix | Corsair 450D ATX Mid Tower | EVGA SuperNOVA 750 | MSI Z97-GAMING 5 ATX LGA1150 | 128gb Sandisk SSD | Corsair H90 94.0 CFM Liquid

no, it's not even worth folding with an i7 4770k. You need a dedicated GPU

Folding and Mining are two separate things. One is for profit, one is for charity. 

As a general idea, every little bit counts when it comes to Folding

~Judah

Folding and Mining are two separate things. One is for profit, one is for charity. 

As a general idea, every little bit counts when it comes to Folding

Well, I don't know if you're aware, but you can get money and fold at the same time with Curecoin. So no, there's no point in folding with an old ass AMD CPU because it will barely give you any PPD, it's a waste of electricity.

Well, I don't know if you're aware, but you can get money and fold at the same time with Curecoin. So no, there's no point in folding with an old ass AMD CPU because it will barely give you any PPD, it's a waste of electricity.

Folding is meant for charity, not for profit. If profit is your motivation then you are right, there is no point if you cant earn money. 

However, for those of us who do it to help find a cure, we appreciate every little bit. If someone can only give 200PPD, they shouldn't be discouraged.

~Judah

Folding is meant for charity, not for profit. If profit is your motivation then you are right, there is no point if you cant earn money. 

However, for those of us who do it to help find a cure, we appreciate every little bit. If someone can only give 200PPD, they shouldn't be discouraged.

200PPD won't make any difference. At all. It's just not worth it, and you know it. OP will be wasting so much money on electricity due to the power consumption of his outdated CPU.

Edited by alpenwasser
language

congratulations sir. @Bloodyvalley  for you have forced me to log in using a Public network, i don't have internet and haven't had so for a week, i had 93 Notifications, holy crap.

just because someone had the clever idea of making a folding currency to try and ease the pain that is the electricity bill doesn't mean that all of a sudden the goal With folding is to make Money, that makes as little sense as it does for me to drink water on the premis that i want to gain weight, sure i might weigh 1 KG more temporarily if i chug a liter of water but water does alot more than that.

it's plenty Worth it to fold on a 4770k, folding isn't purely isolated to gpu's exactly because not every single type of Project is suited to run on gpu's,, we still need cpu Processing Power even if gpu's are amazing at what they do, the Whole idea behind Distributed Computing is that even if each individual doesn't do a Whole lot, add thousands, hundreds of thousands or millions of them together and they will accomplish something.

Yeah sure, newer hardware is more efficient but that doesn't mean it's entierly pointless to run folding on dated hardware, he can fold if he want, but the Return on this is likely to be little to nothing, he could try the chrome plugin and see how that Works out, something is usually better than nothing.. you have the wrong ideas and approach this from the wrong angle.

point is your comment makes as little sense as a salmon peanut butter and cheese toast.

@Bloodyvalley Please STOP posting negative comments in regards to folding now that you think you are earning money on some coin setup. If you cannot contribute nor add something positive, don't reply please. 

Folding is always worth it, period. 200 PPD or 200,000 PPD DOES make a difference, period. Folding is not about money, or electricity use or any of that. It's about donating to research. 

My suggestions for older CPU's @NeatSquidYT is to use the Chrome Folding App. These are much smaller WU's and lower end CPU's can crank through these. Also, on a LOW setting, it won't heat up a laptop much either.

Forum Links - Community Standards, Privacy Policy, FAQ, Features Suggestions, Bug and Issues.

Folding/Boinc Info - Check out the Folding and Boinc Section, read the Folding Install thread and the Folding FAQ. Info on Boinc is here. Don't forget to join team 223518. Check out other users Folding Rigs for ideas. Don't forget to follow the @LTTCompute for updates and other random posts about the various teams.

Follow me on Twitter for updates @Whaler_99

Please STOP posting negative comments in regards to folding now that you think you are earning money on some coin setup. If you cannot contribute nor add something positive, don't reply please. 

Folding is always worth it, period. 200 PPD or 200,000 PPD DOES make a difference, period. Folding is not about money, or electricity use or any of that. It's about donating to research. 

My suggestions for older CPU's @NeatSquidYT is to use the Chrome Folding App. These are much smaller WU's and lower end CPU's can crank through these. Also, on a LOW setting, it won't heat up a laptop much either.

OK :) Not sure about the last bit though, I get 95 degrees playing minecraft :P

OK :) Not sure about the last bit though, I get 95 degrees playing minecraft :P

True, but that is GPU/CPU usage - trying the Chrome Folding app on light and see what you get.

Forum Links - Community Standards, Privacy Policy, FAQ, Features Suggestions, Bug and Issues.

Folding/Boinc Info - Check out the Folding and Boinc Section, read the Folding Install thread and the Folding FAQ. Info on Boinc is here. Don't forget to join team 223518. Check out other users Folding Rigs for ideas. Don't forget to follow the @LTTCompute for updates and other random posts about the various teams.

Follow me on Twitter for updates @Whaler_99

True, but that is GPU/CPU usage - trying the Chrome Folding app on light and see what you get.

I will soon, but not right now

My grandfather passed away from Alzheimer's two years ago, my dad was diagnosed with early stages of Alzheimer's in May.  

Is folding worth it?  You better fucking believe helping medical research is worth it.  I have my PC going 24/7 and I'm never going to turn it off.

To be fair i don't concentrate on any one project.  All of the research is important.  If i have to pay a few extra dollars on my power bill, it's worth it to me.

Totally worth it man! Use the Chrome app since it is easier to crank WU's out.

My Pentium 4 (SL6WF, I believe) happily chugs along between 150 and 500 PPD with the regular client.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

Totally worth it man! Use the Chrome app since it is easier to crank WU's out.

My Pentium 4 (SL6WF, I believe) happily chugs along between 150 and 500 PPD with the regular client.

I can imagine a P4 as a train with a smiley face going down a train track. Aww, it looks so cute

I can imagine a P4 as a train with a smiley face going down a train track. Aww, it looks so cute

I'm surprised you don't think of Bender chugging down beer.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

no, it's not even worth folding with an i7 4770k. You need a dedicated GPU

This if false, i am running a 3770k at 4,5 Ghz and i get plenty folding points using the chrome ap http://folding.stanford.edu/nacl/

currently at 128 spot in the LTT folding at home team with CPU only folding.