Nvidia Disables GPU PhysX when Second non-Nvidia GPU is Installed

Najuno

Well it seems like nVidia will finally stop people using a low/med end GPU (like the 750Ti) and paring them with AMD cards to make use of their PhysX.

Nvidia’s new 340.52 drivers (that enable the new SHIELD tablet features) have a feature that disable GPU PhysX in dual-GPU systems that have one non-Nvidia card, according to Nvidia’s own release notes for the drivers in question.

According to Nvidia, GPU PhysX is disabled when a non-Nvidia GPU is present because the company says a high quality experience in such a scenario can’t be guaranteed. Such a combination would preclude users from utilizing using key features such as high performance communication between CUDA and the graphics API. Unfortunately for many users Nvidia says it has not found a full-proof way to detect whether or not the non-Nvidia GPU is truly idle throughout the application’s lifetime, so CPU PhysX is used instead ensuring a quality experience for all

This statement by Nvidia is further supported by the fact that it has also instituted its own limitation on Nvidia  GPUs in terms of what is allowed to support PhysX. From here on out, any Nvidia GPU that runs PhysX will have to be a GeForce 8-series and later with a minimum of 256 MB of dedicated GPU memory, which really shouldn’t be much of an issue unless a dedicated PhysX card (aka relic) is present in the system. Nvidia introduced CUDA with the 8-series so it seems logical at least an 8-series card would be required in order to run PhysX (CUDA enabled) on the GPU.

The right move by Nvidia?

It would be a fairly nefarious move for Nvidia to be disabling a feature simply because two GPUs from different vendors are installed, which in the past has caused some issues, but never really forced certain features to be disabled. As such, we reached out to Nvidia to get a better idea of why the company is doing this and why slow downs in PhysX enabled scenes may occur in a GPU-vendor agnostic setup.

This issue should not arise in systems that have Intel GPUs that switch between onboard and dedicated (Nvidia) because of Nvidia’s Optimus technology. This should only really affect people that are running two desktop boards or possibly someone that has a system with an AMD APU and an Nvidia GPU and the APU does not switch off when the Nvidia GPU is installed and enabled (even though it should).

In the Bright Side labs, testing is under way to further investigate this issue to see if it happens on AMD APU systems or systems with Intel integrated GPUs. Nvidia says it is currently working on a resolution for this issue.

While some AMD users may raise concerns over this, the amount of people that have a system with two GPUs from different vendors and care about GPU PhysX are probably less than a few dozen or hundred. Some may see this as a penalty for running an AMD GPU alongside an Nvidia GPU, but realistically there’s a reason why no system builders sell mixed systems with Nvidia and AMD GPUs.

Source: http://www.brightsideofnews.com/2014/07/31/nvidia-disables-gpu-physx-2nd-non-nv-gpu-installed/

Source 2 (for all German speaking folks): http://www.pcgameshardware.de/PhysX-Software-229957/News/GPU-Physx-mit-AMD-Grafikkarte-unterbunden-1131328/

It needs to be pointed out that you couldn´t just put an AMD and nVidia card together and expected it to work. It took some specially tweaked and UNOFFICIAL drivers in order to make this function and even then it was difficult to make it work properly. Though I don´t think there were too many people out there that were willing to go with such a setup.

Intel i7 7820X (delidded) @ 4.9GHz - MSI X299 M7 ACK + EKWB Fullcover Block - G.Skill Trident Z 32GB @ 3466MHz - nVidia Titan Xp + EKWB Fullcover Block @ 2.1GHz - Samsung 960Pro 2x - WDD Blue 2TB - Seasonic 750W Platinum - modded Corsair 600C - Hardtubed Custom Watercooling

sooo now AMD users cant have a dedicated physx card? why.. thats just stopping AMD users from buying nvidia cards for physx ._. 

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015

i understand that they have competition and that its their technology. BUTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT..... IF IM A FUCKIN CUSTOMER  weather its AMD or nVidia I EXPECT MY THING TO WORK AS ADVERTISED. its like saying NIssan wont let me charge my leaf if i have another chevy volt and a honda civic in my driveway as well. WTF is wrong with them

Space Journal #1: So Apparently i  was dropped on the moon like i'm a mars rover, in a matter of hours i have found the transformers on the dark side of the moon. Turns out its not that dark since dem robots are filled with lights, i waved hi to the Russians on the space station, turns out all those stories about space finding humans instead of the other way around is true(soviet Russia joke). They threw me some Heineken beer and I've been sitting staring at the people of this forum and earth since. 

Can you not just install the PhysX software and use the CPU?

You can but you can´t make use of all features.

Intel i7 7820X (delidded) @ 4.9GHz - MSI X299 M7 ACK + EKWB Fullcover Block - G.Skill Trident Z 32GB @ 3466MHz - nVidia Titan Xp + EKWB Fullcover Block @ 2.1GHz - Samsung 960Pro 2x - WDD Blue 2TB - Seasonic 750W Platinum - modded Corsair 600C - Hardtubed Custom Watercooling

Use the CPU, right? I've never heard of this second AMD card thingy though.

Spoiler

i5 4670k, GTX 970, 12GB 1600, 120GB SSD, 240GB SDD, 1TB HDD, CM Storm Quickfire TK, G502, VG248QE, ATH M40x, Fractal R4

Spoiler

i5 4278U, Intel Iris Graphics, 8GB 1600, 128GB SSD, 2560x1600 IPS display, Mid-2014 Model

Spoiler

All the parts are here, just need to get customized cords to connect the motherboard to the front panel.

it used to be done in the 480/580 days when it was hard on the gpu to run. now tho? na no reason on a high end gpui

sooo now AMD users cant have a dedicated physx card? why.. thats just stopping AMD users from buying nvidia cards for physx ._. 

AFAIK this isnt new and the only drivers that worked with hybrid physx was back when Mafia2 launched (2010?)

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

it used to be done in the 480/580 days when it was hard on the gpu to run. now tho? na no reason on a high end gpui

Huh. That's smart.

Spoiler

i5 4670k, GTX 970, 12GB 1600, 120GB SSD, 240GB SDD, 1TB HDD, CM Storm Quickfire TK, G502, VG248QE, ATH M40x, Fractal R4

Spoiler

i5 4278U, Intel Iris Graphics, 8GB 1600, 128GB SSD, 2560x1600 IPS display, Mid-2014 Model

Spoiler

All the parts are here, just need to get customized cords to connect the motherboard to the front panel.

Like I wrote it was just possible with special tweaked drivers and they were never official.

If you go off your CPU it will be very demanding for your CPU and you can´t make use of all features. But there aren´t too many games out there. Borderlands2, Batman, Assassins Creed do have PhysX. But I found Borderlands2 the only game where it really looked nice...

AFAIK this isnt new and the only drivers that worked with hybrid physx was back when Mafia2 launched (2010?)

but theres recent forum posts about what "nvidia card i should buy for dedicated physx on my amd machine"

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015

Huh. That's smart.

linus did a video on it

Ermegherd, not PhysX, please no, tell me that this isn't the case, goddammit

Compatible with Windows 95

Nvidia is the worst comapny that I can't stop fanboying

INTEL CORE I5 4670K | NVIDIA GTX 980 | NOCTUA NH-L9i | GIGABYTE GA-Z97X-SLI | KINGSTON 120GB V300

CM STORM QUICKFIRE TK | BENQ XL2420TE | ROCCAT SAVU | FRACTAL DEFINE R4

Is PhysX that BIG OF A DEAL?!

I don't even use it.

No it never was and most people no matter if they use nVidia cards or AMD cards see this feature more as a gimmick.

But the question for me is more, was it right to do that from a company stand point? YES of course, when you have a certain standout feature then you don´t want to sell med/low end spec cards and see the competitor sell their high end stuff, and the drivers were never official drivers.

But was it good in terms of marketing and being end user friendly? NO... this is bad, even when just a small percentage of people made use of it. But trying to dictate the people what to do isn´t correct. Many important things happened in computers industries because of pioneers and people that were willing to try something different.

its ok. Not many games use it anyways.

I played a lot of borderlands back in the day, and i can tell it just doesnt work if you put the load on the CPU. 5ghz 2500k only gets about 10 fps on heavy fights, so yeah...

Like I wrote it was just possible with special tweaked drivers and they were never official.

If you go off your CPU it will be very demanding for your CPU and you can´t make use of all features. But there aren´t too many games out there. Borderlands2, Batman, Assassins Creed do have PhysX. But I found Borderlands2 the only game where it really looked nice...

yea I dont think there is a CPU that physX runs "well" on, PhysX will kill any 4 core CPU easy if you don't have a Nvidia GPU

I considered using my gtx 260 as a dedicated physx card when I got my 7970, but looked into it and it looked like too much of a hassle considering the only game I played with physx was BL2

Intel i7 6700k @ 4.8ghz, NZXT Kraken X61, ASUS Z170 Maximus VIII Hero, (2x8GB) Kingston DDR4 2400, 2x Sapphire Nitro Fury OC+, Thermaltake 1050W

All in a Semi Truck!:

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/519811-semi-truck-gaming-pc/#entry6905347

It just switches the Physx to the CPU automatically. All it does is prevent the Nvidia card from running the Physx when it detects a non-Nvidia card in the system. Physx can still be installed and still use the CPU.

Good job by Nvidia making sure that Physx never becomes a standard feature for games.

How so? Because of something that affects 0.00000000000000000001% of gamers?

They never could. Read the OP, it required modified, unofficial, drivers to make it work. Nvidia is just stopping the 10 people on the entire planet that ever messed with it.

i7 2600K @ 4.7GHz/ASUS P8Z68-V Pro/Corsair Vengeance LP 2x4GB @ 1600MHz/EVGA GTX 670 FTW SIG 2/Cooler Master HAF-X

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/3591491194

physx isn't that widespread so idk why people would put 150$ into dedicated hardware for it, its a cool technology, but very few game uses it, hell i haven't heard of a game this year having dedicated physx support

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

Sounds like they're forcing it to use the CPU, even if one of them is an Nvidia card.

physx isn't that widespread so idk why people would put 150$ into dedicated hardware for it, its a cool technology, but very few game uses it, hell i haven't heard of a game this year having dedicated physx support

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_games_with_hardware-accelerated_PhysX_support

Every Arkham game has supported it, and so will Arkham Knight. Not Nvidia's fault it got delayed. Borderlands 2 supports it, and so will the PreSequal coming out soon. Witcher 3 uses it, again not Nvidia's fault it was delayed. Daylight uses it. A lot more games support Physx than people realize. It's a false assumption that nothing uses it. 

Sounds like they're forcing it to use the CPU, even if one of them is an Nvidia card.

But making the Nvidia card support it when a second, non-nvidia card is installed, is something Nvidia has NEVER supported. They are just stopping the people who have been modding drivers in order to bypass Nvidia's restrictions.

i7 2600K @ 4.7GHz/ASUS P8Z68-V Pro/Corsair Vengeance LP 2x4GB @ 1600MHz/EVGA GTX 670 FTW SIG 2/Cooler Master HAF-X

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/3591491194

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_games_with_hardware-accelerated_PhysX_support

Every Arkham game has supported it, and so will Arkham Knight. No Nvidia's fault it got delayed. Borderlands 2 supports it, and so will the PreSequal coming out soon. A lot more games support Physx than people realize. It's a false assumption that nothing uses it.

a lot of games support it, I notice it now as it runs like shit on the CPU since I switched over to an AMD build. Went from 18FPS in Batman AO to 90 by turning off PhysX