@People who pay for their internet service (or influence those who do)

Sammael

For those who have to deal with whatever detritus drops to the sea floor your parents give you in terms of speed, and nothing more, this is not really for you.

For everyone else, how much do you (or who you influence) pay for internet service?  What speeds do you get for that price?    If you chose higher than the base speed, why did you upgrade to faster service?

checking your email?  torrenting? streaming video?

List all that apply, or more if I missed something.

oh right, my stats:

I pay 65 dollars/month to time warner cable for 30mbps down and 5 mbps up

I am impelled not to squeak like a grateful and frightened mouse, but to roar...

I am on Sky broadband which costs for 7.50 GBP but i have a whole package with Sky+HD and a 500GB box.

My net is 20mbps advertised, and we get 17.4mbps down, 1mbps up.

Infinite usage.

Le Bastardo+ 

i7 4770k + OCUK Fathom HW labs Black Ice 240 rad + Mayhem's Gigachew orange + 16GB Avexir Core Orange 2133 + Gigachew GA-Z87X-OC + 2x Gigachew WF 780Ti SLi + SoundBlaster Z + 1TB Crucial M550 + 2TB Seagate Barracude 7200rpm + LG BDR/DVDR + Superflower Leadex 1KW Platinum + NZXT Switch 810 Gun Metal + Dell U2713H + Logitech G602 + Ducky DK-9008 Shine 3 MX Brown

Red Alert

FX 8320 AMD = Noctua NHU12P = 8GB Avexir Blitz 2000 = ASUS M5A99X EVO R2.0 = Sapphire Radeon R9 290 TRI-X = 1TB Hitachi Deskstar & 500GB Hitachi Deskstar = Samsung DVDR/CDR = SuperFlower Golden Green HX 550W 80 Plus Gold = Xigmatek Utguard = AOC 22" LED 1920x1080 = Logitech G110 = SteelSeries Sensei RAW

Whoever else did the poll with me had the exact same result, high five

FANBOY OF: PowerColor, be quiet!, Transcend, G.Skill, Phanteks

FORMERLY FANBOY OF: A-Data, Corsair, Nvidia

DEVELOPING FANBOY OF: AMD (GPUS), Intel (CPUs), ASRock

I get uncapped on this for £25 a month, the upload is pants but I consider it to be a good deal for the money overall, some people (especially in rural US) get shafted for a lot more coin and receive less speeds.

d399bf992594fc8f1bb86bb22711a2e6.png

Those GFiber guys tho, I'd buy that if I lived in a fiber area even if it was £100 a month.

I get uncapped on this for £25 a month, the upload is pants but I consider it to be a good deal for the money overall, some people (especially in rural US) get shafted for a lot more coin and receive less speeds.

Those GFiber guys tho, I'd buy that if I lived in a fiber area even if it was £100 a month.

Who you with?

Le Bastardo+ 

i7 4770k + OCUK Fathom HW labs Black Ice 240 rad + Mayhem's Gigachew orange + 16GB Avexir Core Orange 2133 + Gigachew GA-Z87X-OC + 2x Gigachew WF 780Ti SLi + SoundBlaster Z + 1TB Crucial M550 + 2TB Seagate Barracude 7200rpm + LG BDR/DVDR + Superflower Leadex 1KW Platinum + NZXT Switch 810 Gun Metal + Dell U2713H + Logitech G602 + Ducky DK-9008 Shine 3 MX Brown

Red Alert

FX 8320 AMD = Noctua NHU12P = 8GB Avexir Blitz 2000 = ASUS M5A99X EVO R2.0 = Sapphire Radeon R9 290 TRI-X = 1TB Hitachi Deskstar & 500GB Hitachi Deskstar = Samsung DVDR/CDR = SuperFlower Golden Green HX 550W 80 Plus Gold = Xigmatek Utguard = AOC 22" LED 1920x1080 = Logitech G110 = SteelSeries Sensei RAW

bolt_virgin_0.png

Dat Virgin media my gawd or am i wrong?

Le Bastardo+ 

Red Alert

Well we have are internet and tv bundled that was 15mbps down 1mbps up and managed to add are home phone into the bundle and upgrade are internet to 100mbps down 5mbps down for the same price we were paying for without the phone and internet upgrade so it seemed like a no brainier to do when they said that. So we dropped a $70 home phone bill and upgraded our internet at no addition cost.

I've got the middle package from Virgin Media, same as @Askew, I only pay £17 ($29) though as I get a reduced rate for customer loyalty.

3561935519.png

It's pretty good, a lot of the places I download from cannot even saturate the bandwidth anyway and I can download games and HD movies in minutes. The upload is a bit crap, I could upgrade to a business package and be guaranteed at least 100 up, but it's not really worth it for me.

I've got the middle package from Virgin Media, same as @Askew, I only pay £17 ($29) though as I get a reduced rate for customer loyalty.

3561935519.png

It's pretty good, a lot of the places I download from cannot even saturate the bandwidth anyway and I can download games and HD movies in minutes. The upload is a bit crap, I could upgrade to a business package and be guaranteed at least 100 up, but it's not really worth it for me.

Have you looked into the pricing of their business packages at all?

Have you looked into the pricing of their business packages at all?

I haven't checked in about 3 years, back then it was around £90 I think for 100/100, I think they quote you individually because there are a few more options. I'm sure that package has changed or come down in value now too...

They've got that Big Red package (Gigabit up/down), I'm sure it costs a ton though. Tbh I'm happy with the package I've got now, never had any outages or anything, the download is plenty for me. The upload is a little frustrating sometimes, but I just think of those people that have to download 50GB games on a 5Mb down package and I don't feel so bad :lol:.

Poll is invalid as it does not list gaming as a reason for upgrading service. I have the highest package offered by Cox in my area, 150/20. Because I prefer to have regular cable service instead of illegally torrenting all the shows I want to watch, I pay $89 per month for that internet package as part of my over all service. That is a $20 discount over the advertised price of $109.99. It's not an introductory price that I pay either because I have been with Cox ever since I moved to Las Vegas several years ago.

I am unhappy with the hardware for their cable service. All the DVRs are old and prone to have issues. But I can not complain about their internet service. The quality has never been anything short of excellent, and every time they have upgraded the speeds they offer, I have always received the upgrade to the new top speed for free. The top speed they used to off out here was 50/10, the overall price was slightly cheaper back then, but not by much. Their top service then went to 100/20 and now to 150/20, and I've never had to upgrade my service with them because the "Premier" service I have has always remained the top level of service.

Instead of maintaining the current, slower, speeds when they offer a new level service, and just adding that new level on top of everything else, they simply shuffle their internet packages to reflect the new speeds. Meaning, top tier always remains top tier, and everyone's service simply gets upgraded. When they made the change from 50 to 100Mbps I had to buy a new modem, but that's a reasonable requirement since the old hardware was simply incapable of operating at the new speed.

Being in Las Vegas, I will be in one of the first markets to receive fiber service from Cox as well, and they have already said that Premier customers will automatically be switched to the fiber service. So over all I am very happy with my ISP. Hipsters will balk at my acceptance of actually paying for good internet service, but since that service is good, I don't actually mind paying. Sure I wish/feel that it could/should be cheaper, but so long as the quality remains good I feel it's worth paying.

I do, technically, have a data cap of 400GB a month, but it's not a hard cap. There is no suspension of service or fees for going over that cap. They just send you a letter saying you are using more than your allotted bandwidth. But I've never used up that 400GB and that's with heavy gaming and online video streaming. 

i7 2600K @ 4.7GHz/ASUS P8Z68-V Pro/Corsair Vengeance LP 2x4GB @ 1600MHz/EVGA GTX 670 FTW SIG 2/Cooler Master HAF-X

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/3591491194

Using Windstream, paying $49.99 per month for the fastest possible speed in my area. I get 12mbps basically 1.1 Megabytes per second download and around 80kb/s upload(horrid yes)...

Got the fastest speed possible for work purposes.

I get outgoing packet loss ranging from 1% to 50% at least twice a month because their overutilizing their network.... sometimes it cuts into working hours for me so I have to grab a laptop and head to a cafe for wifi.... It's horrid.....

Like watching Anime? Consider joining the unofficial LTT Anime Club Heaven Society~ ^.^

Poll is invalid as it does not list gaming as a reason for upgrading service. I have the highest package offered by Cox in my area, 150/20. Because I prefer to have regular cable service instead of illegally torrenting all the shows I want to watch, I pay $89 per month for that internet package as part of my over all service. That is a $20 discount over the advertised price of $109.99. It's not an introductory price that I pay either because I have been with Cox ever since I moved to Las Vegas several years ago.

I am unhappy with the hardware for their cable service. All the DVRs are old and prone to have issues. But I can not complain about their internet service. The quality has never been anything short of excellent, and every time they have upgraded the speeds they offer, I have always received the upgrade to the new top speed for free. The top speed they used to off out here was 50/10, the overall price was slightly cheaper back then, but not by much. Their top service then went to 100/20 and now to 150/20, and I've never had to upgrade my service with them because the "Premier" service I have has always remained the top level of service.

Instead of maintaining the current, slower, speeds when they offer a new level service, and just adding that new level on top of everything else, they simply shuffle their internet packages to reflect the new speeds. Meaning, top tier always remains top tier, and everyone's service simply gets upgraded. When they made the change from 50 to 100Mbps I had to buy a new modem, but that's a reasonable requirement since the old hardware was simply incapable of operating at the new speed.

Being in Las Vegas, I will be in one of the first markets to receive fiber service from Cox as well, and they have already said that Premier customers will automatically be switched to the fiber service. So over all I am very happy with my ISP. Hipsters will balk at my acceptance of actually paying for good internet service, but since that service is good, I don't actually mind paying. Sure I wish/feel that it could/should be cheaper, but so long as the quality remains good I feel it's worth paying.

I do, technically, have a data cap of 400GB a month, but it's not a hard cap. There is no suspension of service or fees for going over that cap. They just send you a letter saying you are using more than your allotted bandwidth. But I've never used up that 400GB and that's with heavy gaming and online video streaming. 

I thought about listing gaming but that is not really relevant, pretty much all broadband speed is fine for gaming, the issue is latency, and upgrading tiers of service does not typically fix that issue.  You either have hardware issues/ old modems/routers, faulty cabling/connections somewhere, or you need to get a whole new isp with fewer issues if you can.

15mbps time warner service is not going to make latency better if you jump to 50mbps (unless I missed something)

And gaming is just not very bandwidth intensive, uploading live game video is a bigger issue for bandwidth, but that is a video thing and not about latency.

I am impelled not to squeak like a grateful and frightened mouse, but to roar...

12/1 200gb cap for $75. Gotta love aus Internet ehhh. I have a need for speed which isn't being met. Hopefully I'll upgrade to 300 25/5 soon which is 70 but on a different ISP.

Beneath this mask there is more than flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea, Mr. Creedy, and ideas are bulletproof.

As I get older I get angrier more cynical, meaner. I feel some warning posts coming. I feel a ban coming. I was warned.

CPU-i5 2400 GPU-Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 OC Mobo-H67MA-D2H-B3 Ram-G.Skill Ripjaws 8gb 1333mhz Case-Fractal Define R4 PSU-Corsair CX750 Storage-Samsung EVO 250gb, 1tb WD Black,Hitachi 1tb Other stuff-Corsair K90, M90 Cooling-3x 140mm Fractal fans Sound-Sennheiser HD438 headphones

but I just think of those people that have to download 50GB games on a 5Mb down package and I don't feel so bad :lol:.

My thoughts exactly.

Im with suddenlink got 15 down 1 up for $125 a month with tv and phone the fastest they have is 30 down 2 up for $125 for the internet alone 250gig cap

its GE (pause) TechNicks

my rig plus everything i have bought for it http://pcpartpicker.com/p/30sNV

I live in one of the largest cities in all of the USA and we have one of the largest international airports and the internet options are still shit here.

Not as bad as Australia and there are higher speeds available, but the cost just isn't worth it when you consider what other people on LTT pay. For those in those countries, 40ish USD a month for 15mbps down and 1 up seems like a joke.

I am 12 and life with my parents and get decent internet.

11ms ping

25 down

5 up

I am with Verizon FiOS and live in New York City.

I am jealous.....

Ac99SsL.gif

Like watching Anime? Consider joining the unofficial LTT Anime Club Heaven Society~ ^.^

I am jealous.....

Ac99SsL.gif

Your story about having to go out to a cafe sometimes just to get internet, damn that shit is not on...

To be fair my upload speed is very poor in comparison to the download, I get around 14-15MB/s from Steam/Usenet but can only upload at less than 1MB/s to YouTube.

Your story about having to go out to a cafe sometimes just to get internet, damn that shit is not on...

Thats happened 2 more times since then. :(

Thats happened 2 more times since then. :(

I'd probably call my provider and tell them that I'm moving because of them, fuck them very much and I hope they die in a freak yauchting accident. :lol:

Telling an American ISP you're gonna switch is like telling a wealthy man he's poor. They wouldn't feel insulted, they'd laugh since you have no real option in many cases.

@MyInnerFred You live in Austin, right? Google Fiber coming there should put some pressure on existing ISPs.