LG Will Take The 'Smart' Out Of Your Smart TV

Welp, I'm never buying anything made by LG.

-The Bellerophon- Obsidian 550D-i5-3570k@4.5Ghz -Asus Sabertooth Z77-16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 1866Mhz-x2 EVGA GTX 760 Dual FTW 4GB-Creative Sound Blaster XF-i Titanium-OCZ Vertex Plus 120GB-Seagate Barracuda 2TB- https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/60154-the-not-really-a-build-log-build-log/ Twofold http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/121043-twofold-a-dual-itx-system/ How great is EVGA? http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/110662-evga-how-great-are-they/#entry1478299

let's be honest, 'Smart' TV is a misnomer for useless junk software anyway 

it's more of a "if I feel like working today" and "sure I can do that, maybe" TV

"It might be smart" or "dropped on the head a few times" TV.

It would surprise me a manufacturer could implement a working calculator app on a 'Smart' TV, let alone Netflix.

Error: 410

That's a bit strong, I wouldn't buy one of their smart TV's beacuse of it but not boycott the whole company.

If people don't buy/return the TVs they will stop doing it.

let's be honest, 'Smart' TV is a misnomer for useless junk software anyway 

it's more of a 'if I feel like working today' and 'I can do that, maybe' TV

"It might be smart" or "dropped on the head a few times" TV.

I've always thought they were a bit shit and still do, but from what I've seen of how cheap and small Android based PC boxes can be, it's only a matter of time before Apple or Samsung/LG/Google come out with an integrated set that contains something wicked IMO.

I see the jump potentially unfolding in a similar way to this kind of thing

Current 'smart' TVs = Samsung Mobile OS from 2009.

Future smart/integrated TVs = KitKat/iOS7

I don't know if you've tried a POS from the late 00s like Samsung Jet for example, but it's reminiscent of the clunky toilet that is current smart TVs. :D

Current smart TVs = Samsung Mobile OS from 2009.

From what I've experienced that's an understatement. They do some sort of software and O/S development since Samsung has their phone line, but I still can't understand why they're so awful.

I dicked around with my uncles 2 or 3k Samsung smart TV, and it was one of the worst experiences I've ever had with some sort of "entertainment" medium. Everything looks nice, the remote is even touch instead of button based, but it's so ridiculously bad I can't even fathom how something this modern can be so awful.

If I had bought that, it would be getting returned. A normal dumb 1080p TV and an Xbone is better, to say that means a lot.  

god forbid the average joe who has no idea what the hell they're doing tries to use one

Error: 410

I've always thought they were a bit shit and still do, but from what I've seen of how cheap and small Android based PC boxes can be, it's only a matter of time before Apple or Samsung/LG/Google come out with an integrated set that contains something wicked IMO.

I see the jump potentially unfolding in a similar way to this kind of thing

Current 'smart' TVs = Samsung Mobile OS from 2009.

Future smart/integrated TVs = KitKat/iOS7

I don't know if you've tried a POS from the late 00s like Samsung Jet for example, but it's reminiscent of the clunky toilet that is current smart TVs. :D

My LG 3D smart TV from 2012 has full android jellybean on it. I can side load most apps just fine. I even have tapatalk on it. It works really well actually and has a lot of nice features.

Motherboard - Gigabyte P67A-UD5 Processor - Intel Core i7-2600K RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws @1600 8GB Graphics Cards  - MSI and EVGA GeForce GTX 580 SLI PSU - Cooler Master Silent Pro 1,000w SSD - OCZ Vertex 3 120GB x2 HDD - WD Caviar Black 1TB Case - Corsair Obsidian 600D Audio - Asus Xonar DG

Hail Sithis!

From what I've experienced that's an understatement. They do some sort of software and O/S development since Samsung has their phone line, but I still can't understand why they're so awful.

I dicked around with my uncles 2 or 3k Samsung smart TV, and it was one of the worst experiences I've ever had with some sort of "entertainment" medium. Everything looks nice, the remote is even touch instead of button based, but it's so ridiculously bad I can't even fathom how something this modern can be so awful.

If I had bought that, it would be getting returned. A normal dumb 1080p TV and an Xbone is better, to say that means a lot.  

god forbid the average joe who has no idea what the hell they're doing tries to use one

Download XBMC and witness the slickness that can be run on a jailbroken Apple TV2, many droid boxes and of course a PC.

My PC runs it, my TV/Movie watching experience is megaslick and how one day I believe smart tv's will begin to respond like, the software has bonuses like the ability to switch refresh rate to 23.976 when you press play, and back to 60 again when you stop playing, I can't tell you how many clicks that shit has saved me when playing blu ray rips that come in native frame rate.

Solutions like consoles/streamer boxes might be able to play your media, but often they omit key features like the ability to output 24p and lock you into jittery 60, it's my hope that one day TV's will come with a sexy interface like XMBC and automatically use the correct refresh rate/audio clock for whatever media you want to play.

Someone will do it, my bet's on Apple to do it properly first, the interface on Apple TV is comparable to XMBC and hey ho, jailbroken AppleTV 2 is the most loved way of running XBMC outside of an HTPC environment, look at the prices of them on eBay. ;)

My LG 3D smart TV from 2012 has full android jellybean on it. I can side load most apps just fine. I even have tapatalk on it. It works really well actually and has a lot of nice features.

Shiver me timbers, I wasn't aware that existed, the only ones I've tried I believed to have proprietary OS.

Is that an LG thing? Or widespread?

Shiver me timbers, I wasn't aware that existed, the only ones I've tried I believed to have proprietary OS.

Is that an LG thing? Or widespread?

It was part of googles TV thing a few years back. It never really took off but it's pretty cool!

It initially had ice cream sandwich on it and got the update about 6 months ago.

Sony and I do believe Samsung had similar models.

I mean it can do everything a phone or tablet does but it takes some configuring. I even installed fruit ninja on it!

It's not perfect but offers much more functionality than other smart TV's due to having a mature widespread platform.

I mean if it wasn't 2000 dollars I would root it and stuff, but I don't want a paperweight lol

It also supports plex and I don't see why xbmc won't work on it either. It has a built in file manager and works flawlessly with my Logitech wireless touchpad keyboard. I hardly ever use it, my boyfriend is the TV watcher.

Motherboard - Gigabyte P67A-UD5 Processor - Intel Core i7-2600K RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws @1600 8GB Graphics Cards  - MSI and EVGA GeForce GTX 580 SLI PSU - Cooler Master Silent Pro 1,000w SSD - OCZ Vertex 3 120GB x2 HDD - WD Caviar Black 1TB Case - Corsair Obsidian 600D Audio - Asus Xonar DG

Hail Sithis!

I even installed fruit ninja on it!

fireflyhesitationthing.gif

My mind is full of fuck at the very idea of Fruit Ninja on a TV remote...

Despite the functionality though, isn't full fat Android a bit cumbersome with a TV remote? I expect it would be a better solution to have an interface built on top like Apple have done with iOS for AppleTV, and as Google most likely will with the upcoming Android TV (which I am very interested in).

If you could get XBMC up on it, and have it access files on the network or on a USB stick or something that could be pretty nice because you can control that with a remote easy peasy, it reminds me of XMB from PlayStation and some Bravias (mine).

Posted Image

My mind is full of fuck at the very idea of Fruit Ninja on a TV remote...

Despite the functionality though, isn't full fat Android a bit cumbersome with a TV remote? I expect it would be a better solution to have an interface built on top like Apple have done with iOS for AppleTV, and as Google most likely will with the upcoming Android TV (which I am very interested in).

If you could get XBMC up on it, and have it access files on the network or on a USB stick or something that could be pretty nice because you can control that with a remote easy peasy, it reminds me of XMB from PlayStation and some Bravias (mine).

it actually has an it remote with a 'wand' function similar to the Wii.

It's OK

The UI is tweaked fir tv but its still android.

Hail Sithis!

To be honest, I couldn't imagine what would make people so cynical about this. I'm fine with this agreement because I use my LG smart tv for watching tv, watching movies and sometimes use the web browser. I can only imagine what people search for if they really don't want to agree with the privacy policy. Im guessing alot of people (not necessarily here on this forum) use the web browser for inappropriate activity.

If they offer me a high end no "Smart" TV I would be happy. Paying for something that doesn't work, regardless of you accepting sharing, is stupid and they put 200$ on the price for that stuff. I use Cromecast and I am happy, also LG have some of the best picture TVs out there so hopefully they won't do Samsungy things.

yes and at the same time a smart tv costs 300$ more than a regular "stupid" tv and yet a $100 set top box or even a $30 chromecast will beat it any day in functionality, performance, ease of use and all that. 

"Common sense is not so common." -Voltaire

I have always thought that the entire idea of a smart tv was a complete waste of time. Just give me a dumb panel and let me do my own thing.

Desktop -  i5 4670k, GTX 770, Maximums VI Hero, 2X Kingston Hyper X 3k in raid zero.

Laptop - Lenovo X230 Intel 535 480GB, 16GB Gskill memory, Classic Keyboard Mod, Triple USB 3.0 Express Card.

Believe this is a poor move by LG. Don't think smart tv's are that smart anyway, rather pay money for a better display than silly smart features.  

Cpu: Intel i5 4690k @3.5 Ghz*cooled by Corsair Hydro H105* | Case: NZXT H440 Black/Green | Motherbord: Gigabyte Z97X-UD5H-BK Black Edition Ram: Avexir Venom 16GB
Video Card: Asus Nvidia GeForce GTX980 4GB | Power Supply: Corsair TX850 | SSD: Samsung 500GB 850 Pro SSD: Samsung 500GB 840 Pro 
Monitor: ASUS 27" ROG Swift G-Sync 144mhz | Keyboard: Logitech G710+  | Mouse: Logitech G700s| Headset: Logitech G35 | Speakers: Logitech X530 5.1
NAS Set-up: Netgear ReadyNAS 104 "populated by 4 x 2TB Western Digital Red in RAID 6"

I think the important part of this is the message "You can either have internet connectivity AND 0 privacy or else you can fuck off: you get nothing" It's sad that we're at this point.

-------

Current Rig

-------

Sorry people but for some a smart tv would be handy and with LG introducing that awesome remote they have I can see why people would consider buying these tvs.  I used the remote yesterday while shopping once again for tvs and monitors and the LG smart tv was a joy to use.  It tooks me less than 2 minutes to get used to the remote.  Then factor in the improving picture quality with their latest models that still have this remote and things get even better.  Seriously before you judge an LG smart tv from the last 2 yrs go into a store and actually use it.  It was a wonderful experience and while I would be a person that usually just hooks a pc to a tv I can appreciate some of what LG is doing here with their version of smart tvs.

In regards to sharing information stop being paranoid people.  It was fun as troll material during the big pre-next gen console war on GameSpot and IGN but seriously who honestly cares.  

Too many ****ing games!  Back log 4 life! :S

Dick move from them but their TVs are great.(That's pretty much the only good thing they make)
My 32" LG 1080P TV is now already 5 Years old and is still working without a problem  :)
My 42" 1080p TV from Phillips broke after 2 just years :/ 

RTX2070OC 

I don't use the smart functionality of TVs anyway. I don't even want a TV, technically, just a huge monitor. Everything else down to the TV tuner is done by a device connected to the TV.

My personal apathy aside, this doesn't sound legal. To buy a product and two years later have the maintenance contract changed without your approval. Nor does the sharing of personal data without naming whom it's being shared with, why or for how long. Pretty sure that's covered by the Data Protection Act.

sorry but the LG G3 phone, is going to be awesome, G2 was amazing, just coz they fuck up in one area of the market doesnt mean they're shit.

sorry but the LG G3 phone, is going to be awesome, G2 was amazing, just coz they fuck up in one area of the market doesnt mean they're shit.

I don't care about phones, I think the smartphone craze is stupid. That being said, just because you don't think they're shit doesn't mean that they aren't shit. I also never said they were I just said I that would not buy anything made by LG and that's because I deeply dislike behavior like that. I'm aware that privacy means little these days but being told that you can either share your info or not get access to the features you paid for in the first place is a dishonest shameful way to run a business and I would prefer go without said piece of tech entirely rather than get a gimped product or fund their behavior further. The most effective way to show a company that your not going to stand for something is to not buy whatever product they are pushing. I personally wouldn't ever buy a smart TV but if they're behaving like this with a TV(and a two year old one at that) then how do you think they will behave with one of their flagship products?

Ignoring this kind of behavior because you like their products is the kind of blind consumerism that has gotten us into the situation we're in now where a companies interests come first and customers get shit on.

-The Bellerophon- Obsidian 550D-i5-3570k@4.5Ghz -Asus Sabertooth Z77-16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 1866Mhz-x2 EVGA GTX 760 Dual FTW 4GB-Creative Sound Blaster XF-i Titanium-OCZ Vertex Plus 120GB-Seagate Barracuda 2TB- https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/60154-the-not-really-a-build-log-build-log/ Twofold http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/121043-twofold-a-dual-itx-system/ How great is EVGA? http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/110662-evga-how-great-are-they/#entry1478299