Samsung’s Head Of Mobile Design Resigns After Galaxy S5′s Poor Reception

ETRJ

Samsung Electronic’s head of mobile design, Chang Dong-hoon, has resigned following criticism about the Galaxy S5 smartphone’s lack of pulchritude.

Though the Galaxy S5′s design did not actually deviate too far from earlier models, its looks and textured plastic back were roundly lambasted by reviewers.

“I think I audibly let out a sound that was something along the lines of ‘aaaahuughhhh’ upon seeing the shimmering dimpled gold back of the Galaxy S5,” wrote Derek Kessler at Android Central, summing up many reviewers’ reaction to the device’s appearance.

Other Samsung smartphones have also been described as ugly. For example, some users felt that the Galaxy Note 3′s leather-textured plastic back was tacky. Meanwhile, the Galaxy S4′s glossy back looked and felt cheap, especially considering that it is one of Samsung’s pricier flagship models.

Despite their perceived lack of beauty, Samsung still managed to sell 86 million smartphones in 4Q2013, widening its lead over Apple. During that quarter, it also attained a 29.6% share of the global smartphone market, compared to Apple’s 17.6%.

But Samsung has been struggling to make a profit with its phones, thanks in part to heavy spending on marketing. In April, it also reduced the price of the Galaxy S5 in South Korea, the first time it has ever done so for a flagship phone.

Samsung said Chang will be replaced by Lee Min-hyouk, Samsung’s vice president for mobile design. Chang, who studied at the Art Institute of Chicago, offered to leave the company last week, but will continue to oversee Samsung’s overall design strategy.

To be honest I don't like the phones design, I've got the nexus 5 and I'm loving the design even though some people may not see that much difference its definately feels different in the hand.

http://techcrunch.com/2014/05/07/samsungs-head-of-mobile-design-resigns-after-galaxy-s5s-poor-reception/?ncid=rss

they fired Jonathan Ive?

but he doesn't even work for them

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

s3: Cool, its a nice change in design from the s2!

s4: Oh, its not all that great, we were expecting better.  However, maybe its like the iphone system.

s5: ARGGH!  This stinks, where's the aluminium!?? 

S3 > S5 is size increasement and too much money spent on marketing the product as revolutionary.

Samsung has just become like Apple.

They have enough of the market and are a household name, so they don't need to bother with innovation, since people will see the logo, recognize the brand, and buy it..

"Oh cool, Apple have released the iPhone 5S! It must be so much better than my iPhone 5, better buy it!"

"Oh cool, Samsung have release the Galaxy S5, it must be so much better than my S4, better buy it!"

Same thing.

Ryzen 9 5950x | NH-D15 | ROG STRIX X570-F | G.Skill 32GB DDR4 | MSI Ventus RTX 3080 | WD Black SN850 1TB PCIe 4 | Samsung 850 EVO + 860 EVO 1TB | Corsair 5000D Airflow

Dell S3422DWG | Dell S2721DGF | Corsair K70 RGB Keyboard | Logitech G502 Lightspeed | ATH-R70x

Maybe their phones will now look on par with the competition. I can't really think of any current flagship uglier than the S5.

My rig: CPU: Intel core i5 4670K MoBo: MSI Z87-G45 Gaming RAM: Kingston HyperX Beast 2x4GB 1600mhz CL9 GPU: EVGA GTX780 SC ACX SSD: ADATA Premier Pro SP900 256GBHDD: Western Digital RED 2TB PSU: FSP Aurum CM 750W Case: Cooler Master HAF XM OS: Windows 8 Pro

My Build log, the Snowbird (heavy WIP): http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/188011-snowbird-by-lachy/?hl=snowbird

I don't know why people are so gung-ho on materials all of a sudden. If it feels good in my hand and isn't slippery then I am all for it.  When the HTC one M8 and S5 came out I decided I was going to upgrade to one or the other from my Blackberry Q10.  I spent a bunch of time holding each one, and the S5 felt way better and was easier to handle than the M8.  I actually really like the back cover of the phone. 

Either way, I always throw a case over my phone (usually a slim hard case) just to protect it as I am always using my phone on the go.  Compared to previous Samsung devices, there is no creaking, which for me was a big issue.

Being water resistant is amazing and I wish every smartphone and tablet was like this.  I don't think I can go back to using a device that isn't (after all I ruined by Q10 by spilling coffee on it).

TL;DR: People just love hating on Samsung these days,  they are becoming the new Apple.

| Currently no gaming rig | Dell XPS 13 (9343) |

| Samsung Galaxy Note5 | Gear VR | Nvidia Shield Tab | Xbox One |

I don't know why people are so gung-ho on materials all of a sudden. If it feels good in my hand and isn't slippery then I am all for it.  When the HTC one M8 and S5 came out I decided I was going to upgrade to one or the other from my Blackberry Q10.  I spent a bunch of time holding each one, and the S5 felt way better and was easier to handle than the M8.  I actually really like the back cover of the phone. 

Either way, I always throw a case over my phone (usually a slim hard case) just to protect it as I am always using my phone on the go.  Compared to previous Samsung devices, there is no creaking, which for me was a big issue.

Being water resistant is amazing and I wish every smartphone and tablet was like this.  I don't think I can go back to using a device that isn't (after all I ruined by Q10 by spilling coffee on it).

TL;DR: People just love hating on Samsung these days,  they are becoming the new Apple.

I like the idea of water resistance, but I don't think many companies do it properly. Right now there's too many down sides. Crappier speaker performance, and size increase come to mind. Sharp's new phone is an exception size wise, but I bet the speaker is still lacking.

I mean I can see why other people need it but I've never spilled liquid on my devices. I'm a little more careful.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Here's their new mobile division head:

t1000.jpg

He doesn't looks like much but trust us, he's unprecedented in his ability to copy designs, plus is made of metal he has premium built on his DNA!

-------

Current Rig

-------

Samsung has just become like Apple.

They have enough of the market and are a household name, so they don't need to bother with innovation, since people will see the logo, recognize the brand, and buy it..

"Oh cool, Apple have released the iPhone 5S! It must be so much better than my iPhone 5, better buy it!"

"Oh cool, Samsung have release the Galaxy S5, it must be so much better than my S4, better buy it!"

Same thing.

Looking at benchmarks, 5S is as twice as fast when comparing it to the 5. Along with that, is the first mobile phone to incorporate 64bit architecture. Camera is by far improved if compared to the 5 as well as I find the fingerprint scanner helpful in terms of time wasted when unlocking your phone. If you do gaming on mobile devices, you will find the 5S blowing the 5 as speed clock have been improved from 200mhz's to 600mh's. Rendering is also three times faster in the 5S when comparing to the 5.

I'm not a fan boy but it is what it is. I own a HTC ONE M7 as well as the iPhone 5 and currently use the iPhone 5S. 

2020:AMD Ryzen 3900X | XFX 5700XT | 2TB m.2 | 32GBDDR4 @ 3200MHz | Corsair CX750M | ASUS X570 Strix | NZXT H100

2013:AMD FX-8350 @ 4.62GHz ~ 5.2GHz | XFX R9 290X 2x Crossfire | (x4) 2TB HDDs in RAID1 | 16GBDDR3 @ 1866MHz | GS800 | NZXT 810

IMO the phone isn't THAT bad but I still don't like it. It is not about that they use plastic but that the plastic feels cheap. Also it isn't very comfortable in my hand and I have big hands. Maybe I am just new in the smartphone section (have had 2 smartphones) but I myself dislike it and approve the resignation thing.

How come there is so much noise about samsung designs? 

while the iPhone is basically the same phone through generations...?

Besides, how much a rectangle can be improved? 

Because hipsters: Apple did it before it was cool not really but we already spent 700 bucks on this stupid thing so we might as well pretend it's cool

-------

Current Rig

-------

I am happy with the S4 but they could have built it in a better way. The feel it gives the end-user is unsatisfactory. The S5 should have been better. Yet again, can't live with iTunes.  

CPU: Ryzen 7-3700x 4.4GHz, MB: ASUS PRIME B450M-AGPU: SAPPHIRE RX 590, RAM: 16GB Corsair 3200MHz, SSD: 480GB Kingston HDD: 2TB WD Green, CHASSIS: CoolerMaster HAF 912, PSU: CoolerMaster Thunder 700W, COOLERHyper 212 Black Edition

didnt something like this happened with Apple? someone resigned because of issue with phone?

PC Gaming forever...

Yet again, can't live with iTunes.  

Well I have an iPhone 5 and I never use iTunes, just have to install it, otherwise I use iFunBox. Backups are made via iCloud, transfers with iFunBox.

And I think one of the only other nice smartphones is the HTC One M7, Galaxy S have always been kinda crap... I thought the S2 was nice back in the days, but now that I have one and compared to iPhones it just feels cheap!

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/4260182476

CPU - Intel 3770k @ 4.5GHz + CM 212 EVO + Noctua NF-F12/ GPU - EVGA GTX 780 SC w/ ACX / PSU - Corsair AX860i / Motherboard - Z77A-GD55 / 16GB Corsair Vengeance RAM / HDD - 1.5TB WDC Black - 3.0TB WDC Red - 120GB Sandisk Extreme - 500GB Samsung 850 / Display - Asus PB287Q 4K and Asus VG248 + 3D Vision 2 glasses / Mouse - G500s 

The s4 is a solid phone. But my next phone will probably be either the One (m9) or the Z3, though I'm leaning towards the Sony one, so much better design. And Sony > HTC.

Frost upon these cigarettes.... lipstick on the window pane...

Because iPhones are nice, have an awesome build quality and just feels great in your hand. Why completely change the design when people like it? Samsung on the other hand have crappy plasic which doesn't feel nice, and globally just does not look as good as iPhones. I think that everyone can agree that Samsung, when it comes down to aesthetics at least, is not as good as Apple.

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/4260182476

CPU - Intel 3770k @ 4.5GHz + CM 212 EVO + Noctua NF-F12/ GPU - EVGA GTX 780 SC w/ ACX / PSU - Corsair AX860i / Motherboard - Z77A-GD55 / 16GB Corsair Vengeance RAM / HDD - 1.5TB WDC Black - 3.0TB WDC Red - 120GB Sandisk Extreme - 500GB Samsung 850 / Display - Asus PB287Q 4K and Asus VG248 + 3D Vision 2 glasses / Mouse - G500s 

I actually like the design of Samung's phone, some people want "all metal body" blah blah like the HTC One (M8). The HTC One is a nice phone and all but I don't like the back, not enough grip. And besides it's Android, we can pick and choose which phone to use; unlike a stupid apple products

Because iPhones are the best built phones in the world, period.

Samsung phones are plasticy shite.

Laptop Lenovo Thinkpad X220 - CPU: i5 2420m - RAM: 8gb - SSD: Samsung 830 - IPS screen Peripherals Monitor: Dell U2713HM - KB: Ducky shine w/PBT (MX Blue) - Mouse: Corsair M60

Audio Beyerdynamic DT990pro headphones - Audioengine D1 DAC/AMP - Swan D1080-IV speakers

I have recently purchased two S5's and I love them. Upgraded from the S3 and HTC one X. Don't understand why they hate on it so much? Reviewer's change phones on a regular basis thus looking for minor changes.. everyone has different taste.  

Tbh, I could not care about metal or plasitc build phones. When I went looking to purchase them, I was looking at battery, storage, camera and screen. I'm the one operating it, not others looking at...

The bonus of water resistant is an added feature. Like I said everyone has different taste and opinions..

I HAVU DISUHONORED MY FAMHILY, I SHALL RESIGN AND PERFOM SEPPUKU!

:ph34r: Honor

Details separate people.