When Raven Meets Saints - Silverstone Raven 01 Gold Build

jiyang1018

Hardware Overview

Finally I talked one of my friends into building a custom computer, so I ended up with a table full of hardwares.

8SsHJQYl.jpg

I tried to talk to him in to black & red, or black & white color scheme, but he is a huge New Orleans Saints fan.

fHCP6qSl.jpg

So color choices are limited for a lot of hardwares.
midaEUSl.jpg

Looks good.
0OCP2Mpl.jpg

A lot of people do this type of shot.
7YJ7aE0l.jpg

This SSD was on sale, and that is the main reason to choose it. It is so good value I even bought one for my wife's build, which was posted here before.
V1cQMaVl.jpg

bQKzUxCl.jpg

Not a lot of accessories, only a SATA data cable which was never used.

5YD7Kybl.jpg

I remember XLR8 text in gold on some of PNY's graphic cards, so I was expecting the same here. It turned out to be a warm grey.
SvQjpl3l.jpg

Very popular choice. I suggested i5 for gaming, which is the purpose of this build, but he preferred i7.
ljFYS5Hl.jpg

Can you read the SN?
i1Njqgxl.jpg

Stock cooler not in shot.
8zCcK3fl.jpg

Guess what this is.
ZoxhwDHl.jpg

Household LED strip actually. It is cheap, a lot of lights, remote control to change color, cannot ask for any more.
ychnorBl.jpg

I originally recommended stock cooler and get the shroud gold plated or powder coated. He thought it would be too much trouble for me to go through for his build, so we switch to this ACX version.
Othj76Gl.jpg

UzYE1kWl.jpg

o2FlXr1l.jpg

With protective film.
jNFvWJJl.jpg

Without it.
9a402Dql.jpg

Wish it was gold.
pgRPvwdl.jpg

Details determain design.
LjEd5iMl.jpg

780 Ti is way over his budget.
inDjfRFl.jpg

Again, details determain design.
XMbfv05l.jpg

Ina1xgxl.jpg

Quite standard right?
c17y3sXl.jpg

Gold motherboard is very rare to find. I remember a gold one on Z77 platform from another brand.
qIxZsDKl.jpg

qK6Krpll.jpg

HptNgPYl.jpg

Is it gonna match?
hOhwZYcl.jpg

This is definately yellow.
LuBcu6Rl.jpg

That's not golden, missing orange tone.
Vkb3Irxl.jpg

TMv9ogal.jpg

Yellow again.
x5gG4Pxl.jpg

wuTOfP8l.jpg

If it was gold heat spreader, how will the performance be?
9ggaQJvl.jpg

Surfacing coating vs bare metal, difference is quite minimal actually.
laEa136l.jpg

It is listed as marigold, and with this picture:

s3tVWKZl.jpg

Side by side, this is how it looks.
WXJD9swl.jpg

Our plan is to disassemble it and use it internally. I have done this to 4 of my external drives in the past 5 years, all of them are still working fine. We are willing to take the risk.
TYnWFPpl.jpg

Will be naked soon.
RTv6P08l.jpg

He demans a blu-ray writer. To be honest, I don't see the reason for it.
Md2am02l.jpg

Simply ugly.
D2tzKIxl.jpg

After I painted this, I saw this, but it was too late to return the ugly one.

7iLEExAl.jpg

We were thingking about Cooler Master Eisberg 120 switching to gold tubes, but H80i was on sale and has LED.
JZrsc56l.jpg

THE selling point.
gSvbd8Kl.jpg

Reason for H80i over H100i is RV01 doesn't support 240 mount.
t7Lwehml.jpg

This was purchased over 1 year ago when it was on sale. Great deal, great PSU, and it is gold.
fGSrzjTl.jpg

0iAL5Pjl.jpg

Modular sockets for future awesomeness.
OfW9Fqcl.jpg

GOLD!!
YxdjU9ml.jpg

Main character. He was almost certain with NZXT Phantom 530, and I sent him a link. He then switched.
75pqGq4l.jpg

aR5zbBLl.jpg

LYcYMBpl.jpg

This is going to be one of my only favorite gold builds, most are unbalanced or tacky but not yours. Can wait to see it put together.

Dis_gon_be_good.gif

Mein Führer... I CAN WALK !!

Followed! I'm really seeing forward to see progress. :)

This is going to be one of my only favorite gold builds, most are unbalanced or tacky but not yours. Can wait to see it put together.

Dis_gon_be_good.gif

Thanks for the comment.

The build is complete, but I am still organizing and editing all the pictures.

Stay tuned.

200_s.gif

Andres "Bluejay" Alejandro Montefusco - The Forums Favorite Bird!!!

Top Clock: 7.889 Ghz Cooled by: Liquid Helium   

#ChocolateRAM #OatmealFans #ScratchItHarder #WorstcardBestoverclocker #CrazySexStories #SchnitzelQuest TS3 SERVER

curious to c how this will turn out. Maybe it's just the lighting or something but that sleeving does look kindah bright. was expecting somthing more subtle.

subbed!!!

When i saw the title i thought this was gonna be the new RVZ01 raven.

Main Rig: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/58641-the-i7-950s-gots-to-go-updated-104/ | CPU: Intel i7-4930K | GPU: 2x EVGA Geforce GTX Titan SC SLI| MB: EVGA X79 Dark | RAM: 16GB HyperX Beast 2400mhz | SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256gb | HDD: 2x Western Digital Raptors 74gb | EX-H34B Hot Swap Rack | Case: Lian Li PC-D600 | Cooling: H100i | Power Supply: Corsair HX1050 |

Pfsense Build (Repurposed for plex) https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/715459-pfsense-build/

Where'd you get the LED strip? I want one to put behind my desk.

| i7 8700k @ 5.0GHz | GSkill Trident Z 32GB RAM | EVGA 1080Ti Black | Samsung 860 Evo 1TB |
| Fractal Design Meshify C | Noctua NH-D14S | 2x Samsung C27JG50Q 1440p 144Hz |

curious to c how this will turn out. Maybe it's just the lighting or something but that sleeving does look kindah bright. was expecting somthing more subtle.

subbed!!!

As I stated in my post, the seller's picture on amazon looks very close to gold even though it is nylon, and that is the reason I bought it. side by side, it is not gold color.

Cable Management Mod

Top cover locking mechanism is quite unique and interesting.

p3CC554l.jpg

This is how the 2 bottom 180mm Air Penatrator fans are mounted.

TStYB76l.jpg

Wish there was some smoked acrylic behind the back cover.

uxH0tfUl.jpg

Test run, everything works.

QqWxFMNl.jpg

I removed pretty much everything to install H80i since there is no backplate cutout in RV01 case. This H80i caused so many problem. The first one I received from newegg does not have fully filled loop. When I shook it, it made a lot of liquid noise. I contacted newegg customer service, and they send me a replacement. Surprisingly enough, the replacement has exactly the same problem. I thought it might be designed this way, even though my old H100 (not i version) does have similar problem. I went another test run with everything on motherboard box. Since there was no place to mount anything, H80i radiator was just leaning on another box and slight below pump block. Fans and pump were at full speed all time, and CPU was 80c at idle. I could feel one hose warm and increating temperature, but the other stay at room temperature. Corsair link software shows pump was at over 7000 rpm, but clearly it was not doing the job. I contact Corsair customer service and they decided to send another one to me directly from California, and they suspected that newegg has a bag batch. The 2nd replacement works just fine.

FqEcYdll.jpg

In the picture above, you can see all the cable clutter because there is no cable routing hole for 24 pin and PCI-E power cables on the motherboard tray. It desperately needs this. One of my suppliers sent me 2 of these when I was starting my shop at store.design4paragon.com.

1VKViF7l.jpg

That should be a good place to place it.

ZO18vCkl.jpg

Avoiding all the stand off points, this is a perfect position for this grommet.

dUvjS0Dl.jpg

A closer look.

vpTeer3l.jpg

So I marked the 2 centers and started drilling.

rlJgC1rl.jpg

Using 1.5 in hole saw, which is the perfect bit for this grommet.

QSwxHm3l.jpg

Connecting(cutting) the 2 circles and the job is done, well, after filing for sure.

p4XVXjHl.jpg

This position seems like Silverstone was originally planning to put a grommet here but somehow dropped that idea.

maiQ0MDl.jpg

I also cut a piece off from here to pass through SATA cables easily.

yX3kcE6l.jpg

Of course, the plastic fan holder needs to be trimmed off a little as well.

tBski4Fl.jpg

Applying Vinyl

Since a lot of parts have nothing to do with gold, this should help a lot.

a7MegROl.jpg

For a New Orleans Saints fan, emblems cannot be left behind.

0dnO6Bsl.jpg

It took a lot of time wielding an x-acto knife.
v9e9NJwl.jpg

Not sure if I can live with all the rough edges.
JlYcVO7l.jpg

Applying vinyl on an SSD is quite easy.
vgCfjGol.jpg

Shiny?

4TK9xsel.jpg

I want to know the rough shape of the 2 pieces, so I put some painter's tape on.
uNJLk3al.jpg

Trimming it once as a practice.
2EjJVDZl.jpg

Then the real deal.
aBtkS4Zl.jpg

u44cIwPl.jpg

DDABTuSl.jpg

gmdKSkPl.jpg

ITiMd0Al.jpg

Saw this one Overclock.net aswell, but I'll rather follow it here :D

Well done!

NZXT H440   //   MSI Z87 MPOWER MAX AC   //   i5 4670K   //   MSI GTX 780 Lightning 3GB   //   HyperX Beast 8GB 2400mhz   //   OCZ Agility

Niiice, reeeally nice!

Thank you very much.

nice work on the modding

lookin good :)

bring on the raven :ph34r:

Thanks a lot. I love Raven series except RV04 maybe, but I don't hate it.

Saw this one Overclock.net aswell, but I'll rather follow it here :D

Well done!

Thanks. Started posting on overclock.net yesterday, but I first started here.

This looks so good so far! Really looking forward to more progress updates :) 

phanteks enthoo pro | intel i5 4690k | noctua nh-d14 | msi z97 gaming 5 | 16gb crucial ballistix tactical | msi gtx970 4G OC  | adata sp900

Painting

It is almost impossible to get gold fans, or golden fans. All I could find were yellow ones, and they look rather ugly. What else can I do? Do it myself.

yN71izKl.jpg

Hope this does not void warranty.

FWAfpvAl.jpg

Hair drier + X-acto = sticker removed.

PRJrK8ll.jpg

Side panel mesh painted, not in my bathroom.

3sqivsGl.jpg

I taped the interior parts of the fan blades to protect the magnets and stuff.

UxnpYp2l.jpg

It somehow reminds me Plants vs Zombies.

AwKP8Z7l.jpg

PCI slot cover and graphic card bracket painted and drying.

ue7CTOQl.jpg

That is dental floss I believe.

HPjdf9Zl.jpg

Matched pretty good right?

o9meCiSl.jpg

Assembled together. Some parts were painted beofre I applied vinyl, but I just want to group similar things together.

0Nfyr87l.jpg

Fan blade looks good through black fan grill(painted black, resprayed later).

iGvK7GRl.jpg

Gold behind black looks good.

RTY5RQkl.jpg

Paint the I/O shield? I am not quite sure about it.

aWxwiwRl.jpg

Top cover on. Gold isn't quite visible any more.

pNpBMgYl.jpg

So I painted the top mesh the next day.

BpC5UPEl.jpg

Now it's AP181's turn.

BlGL01Cl.jpg

Man made vs natural plants.

s5jZwZ0l.jpg

I rotated the sticker 90 degrees to get better sense of the orientation.

EMGEnr7l.jpg

A bit shy.

TOEtW8cl.jpg

This is what I meant orientation.

FzvG7svl.jpg

Remember the emblem with vinyl from previous part? It has a lot of rough edges, so I decided to paint it gold. I also departed them for difference use.

PNYMnvrl.jpg

A little touchup after filing the edges.

Ny1H5v5l.jpg

I have a very fine tip brush, and I use some black paint to cover the groove.

zyZz7pWl.jpg

This is really for hat, but it just fits really nicely in this position.

lPKnrOwl.jpg

So bring on the taping and keep wielding my X-acto.

F0C0vqKl.jpg

Pretty much the same setup as in surgery.

7g3SRnml.jpg

tahdah

J8Kmzmfl.jpg

Wiring

Paracord sleeving should not be a tough job.

MjxkRuWl.jpg

24 pin down.

N2JHsaJl.jpg

PCI-E done as well.

zkvEYwXl.jpg

RV01 is quite old, so these are what to expect.

qp91hFAl.jpg

Yellow connector, rainbow color wires, well, rainbow has no black color for sure.

3p5EmOTl.jpg

This is power LED connector. Just can't stand this.

LWoDUarl.jpg

IEEE1394? Really? When Silverstone upgraded USB3 connector, why did they decide to keep this? Give even just 1 USB2 connector would be a lot better.

CU5h6Sbl.jpg

All that messy wiring.

VmodzHpl.jpg

Buttons, LEDs all sleeved. IDDD1394 removed. There is no such header on the motherboard, and my friend does not have any devices using it either.

bQAbWDsl.jpg

All front panel connectors sleeved and replaced with black connector housings, as well as 1 of the AP181 fan.

RH9SjL6l.jpg

LED strip has a control module, and this is the receiver, which originally has a white heatshrink.

LVsXhpQl.jpg

3 wires in the middle section is from the receiver, and will be replace with black wires.

eVzqQd3l.jpg

When I ordered supplies for my shop, I also got some flat ribbon style black wires, and it should look a lot better on that receiver.

fAAww4Vl.jpg

I made the receiver with a 3 pin fan connector linking back to the board. The reason I did this is, if the wire is not long enough, I can easily make an extension for it. And that did happen.

99o8ahOl.jpg

The module uses a power converter, 120-240v AC to 12v DC. There is a million ways you can get 12v DC inside a computer case, so I soldered the power socket off and replaced with red and black wires and crimped a PCI-E 6 pin connector to it. This is more of a accident proof method. I prefer not to use Molex connector, and I do not have mating SATA power connectors. By using a PCI-E 6 pin connector, if it is plugged to a graphic card, system won't start since there is no power to graphic card. PCI-E power cable from PSU cannot connect to this either; same form factor, not mating ones. This way, there is only one way to connector it, which you are about to see.

hqBesFQl.jpg

That white cable is a little annoying.

z4eL52El.jpg

So I painted it black, as well as the module housing, and sleeved the power wires.

pzr9bdVl.jpg

I used some of my harddrives as a place holder/positioner to punch these SATA power connectors. I used an SSD for the first (to the right) slot and I could not push it too hard, so that first 2 sections are not perfectly straight. I regret a little for not redoing it.

Pprk1vdl.jpg

This is another reason to use 6 pin connector for LED module, it is off the peripheral 5 pin. The power lead will be hidden as in the previous picture.

eCJkSQFl.jpg

This build is definitely inspirational for my future build. I really like what you did with the vinyl. Nice job. :)

Awesome job, the gold looks beast

Beneath this mask there is more than flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea, Mr. Creedy, and ideas are bulletproof.

As I get older I get angrier more cynical, meaner. I feel some warning posts coming. I feel a ban coming. I was warned.

CPU-i5 2400 GPU-Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 OC Mobo-H67MA-D2H-B3 Ram-G.Skill Ripjaws 8gb 1333mhz Case-Fractal Define R4 PSU-Corsair CX750 Storage-Samsung EVO 250gb, 1tb WD Black,Hitachi 1tb Other stuff-Corsair K90, M90 Cooling-3x 140mm Fractal fans Sound-Sennheiser HD438 headphones

Embellishment

Almost all screws came with the case are bare steel finish, even the motherboard standoffs, and it would be lame not to replace them with something more suitable, like these:

5YnJBxwl.jpg

The stock one itsn't bad, just not in the right color scheme.

Y0NxYa5l.jpg

Any comment?

uN7nM11l.jpg

I don't want to damage the gold paint, plus the screw is longer than standard ones, I put some black nylon washers inbetween.

KZ79tdpl.jpg

Fortunately, Corsair H80i, motherboard standoff, and most of the case screws are all 6-32, that makes things a lot easier.

hIOAPfol.jpg

Even the housing for bottom AP181 fans uses 6-32 machine screws, in plastic housing, interesting.

Vwg5n0al.jpg

All lined up. I tried to align the direction of the screw caps, then some of them would be just too tight or loose.

CeE4kiGl.jpg

2 nylon washers on motherboard since these screws are a bit longer.

h9bXCNWl.jpg

Another one just hiding there.

mwXsd0Cl.jpg

Case screws replaced.

Ck3mAUJl.jpg

Stock fan grill was already painted black, but H80i has 2 fans so I ordered another black grill to save some time.

CAdxXLPl.jpg

Brass machine screws on top fan grill. But how to use machine screw to fasten grill and fan, you may ask.

SaZuGJ9l.jpg

This is how. I could use very long screws to go through grill, fan, case, silicon gasket (hidden from any view), into radiator, but it would expose too much of its thread which does not look nice. There are 2 rivets fastening I/O bracket to top of the case. Mounting a 120mm fan inside has no problem at all, a lot of clearance. However, in order to show more of the hardware through the side window, I need to put one of the 2 fans out side the case, wihch means the radiator is up against the top panel. As we all know, radiator is slightly bigger than fan frame, which causes interference. I can put some washers as spacers, but then there would be too much gap for air to leak. That is why I use a silicon fan gasket between radiator and top panel.

uyTsCNhl.jpg

Graphic card supporting braket uses wood screws. Luckily, it is a smaller size one, so I drilled all the inner threads, using a steel 6-32 screw on my magnetic screw driver and heating it with my butane torch and tapping new threads. Why? Because I do not have a 6-32 tap; I wish I did.
UqOQQsJl.jpg

It is machine screws into plastic, so I was able to aligh all the directions.

Zg5ojiwl.jpg

Mounted in the case.

Q2iywa5l.jpg

A glamour shot.

3IK9rhrl.jpg

This build is definitely inspirational for my future build. I really like what you did with the vinyl. Nice job. :)

Thanks. I am looking forward to your future build.

Awesome job, the gold looks beast

I appreciate your attention.