Amazon possibly breached?

Skiiwee29

Something to keep an eye on over the next few days/weeks.... I just got an email from Amazon saying my email address was inadvertently exposed by a technical error... Im still going to change my Amazon password just to be safe and I already have 2FA enabled. Anyone else getting these emails? Have to assume others will be or have already...

image.png.1bf550620e611d6333cb3aa2c3176163.png

UPDATE: Here is an article of it hitting Main stream media on yahoo: https://techcrunch.com/2018/11/21/amazon-admits-it-exposed-customer-email-addresses-doubles-down-on-secrecy/?yptr=yahoo

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

hi 

just wanted to let you know everything is fine. There was a problem and it's fine. Do nothing about it. 

Don't even change your password. 

Don't even know why we're letting you know. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

17 minutes ago, Skiiwee29 said:

Something to keep an eye on over the next few days/weeks.... I just got an email from Amazon saying my email address was inadvertently exposed by a technical error... Im still going to change my Amazon password just to be safe and I already have 2FA enabled. Anyone else getting these emails? Have to assume others will be or have already...

image.png.1bf550620e611d6333cb3aa2c3176163.png

Mate. 
For such occasions, its better to change your password.
And why do I think that email is not even from amazon. Instead of telling you to change your password to be on the safer side, they are telling you to not change it and be happy. Its really suspicious to see a online shopping site to not tell you to change your password and just forget it. 
In such cases, just change your password. It will be better.

Looks fishy.

"Hello" + the URL, uppercase A, no www, not https.

Desktop: 7800x3d @ stock, 64gb ddr4 @ 6000, 3080Ti, x670 Asus Strix

Laptop: Dell G3 15 - i7-8750h @ stock, 16gb ddr4 @ 2666, 1050Ti 

20 minutes ago, Raskolnikov said:

Looks fishy.

"Hello" + the URL, uppercase A, no www, not https.

20 minutes ago, corrado33 said:

Looks like a scam to me. 

its not a scam, its legit. I also have the message in my Amazon messages on my amazon account, so its 100% legit. 

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

1 minute ago, Skiiwee29 said:

its not a scam, its legit. 

Go to amazon.com. Contact them via their own website, ask them about the e-mail. 

3 minutes ago, corrado33 said:

Go to amazon.com. Contact them via their own website, ask them about the e-mail. 

its legit.. I edited my post you quoted.. here is a screenshot from the amazon website in my messages inbox.. its 1000000% a legit email. Not a scam

image.png.186df51c870d9be234b6bda50c6e237f.png

"Black Out"

Dedicated Streaming Rig

51 minutes ago, Skiiwee29 said:

Amazon

Could very well be a spammed email looking like Amazon. I got 4 calls within 4 minutes from all spammed #'s and some asian language female spouts off whatever, calls were diff #'s but one was a daycare in Surrey.

7 minutes ago, Skiiwee29 said:

its legit.. I edited my post you quoted.. here is a screenshot from the amazon website in my messages inbox.. its 1000000% a legit email. Not a scam

I'd still contact amazon via their support pages and ask about it. 

3 minutes ago, Canada EH said:

Could very well be a spammed email looking like Amazon. I got 4 calls within 4 minutes from all spammed #'s and some asian language female spouts off whatever, calls were diff #'s but one was a daycare in Surrey.

Its not spam.. the email also shows up in my message center on my amazon account.. please see the picture posted int he post above yours. 

"Black Out"

Dedicated Streaming Rig

And also for the record, this is NOT a thread asking if this is fake, or a scam blah blah blah.. I know 100000% its not. Its more to warn people to look for suspicious activities on there accounts and to login and check there message center within Amazon itself and see if its there and to update there account password. I also suspect to see more main stream coverage of this over the coming days/weeks potentially to get a better understand of the impact and what happened and why/how. 

"Black Out"

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Mainstream coverage, perhapos but I kinda doubt it because what makes those kind of headlines are specific #'s in accounts breached and data stolen. It'd still be interesting to see what comes of the news coverage.

Is it sad that despite having three different credit cards saved in there, I'm more worried about people finding out about that time I was trolled into searching for "Taken By the T-Rex"?

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

1 hour ago, aisle9 said:

Is it sad that despite having three different credit cards saved in there, I'm more worried about people finding out about that time I was trolled into searching for "Taken By the T-Rex"?

definitely not

4 hours ago, Skiiwee29 said:

image.png.186df51c870d9be234b6bda50c6e237f.png

So it might be that there is a possibility of amazon and its customer's data being breached. 
Thank god I never save my credit card details on amazon 

9 hours ago, Syntaxvgm said:

hi 

just wanted to let you know everything is fine. There was a problem and it's fine. Do nothing about it. 

Don't even change your password. 

Don't even know why we're letting you know. 

They're often legally required to inform users.

9 hours ago, Skiiwee29 said:

Im still going to change my Amazon password just to be safe

what if the password change page is infected and you just gave them the password...

MSI GX660 + i7 920XM @ 2.8GHz + GTX 970M + Samsung SSD 830 256GB

2 hours ago, whiskerslaboratory said:

Can you reach out to Amazon, at least for the guys here, for them to confirm something happened? Because the e-mail looks totally fishy, that http from Amazon, come on...

Read further into the thread... I posted a screenshot of the message in my message center on my amazon.com account. Its not fishy, its 1000000% legit. 

"Black Out"

Dedicated Streaming Rig

<- Just remembered he uses his personal email in Amazon by mistake, not his store account.... GAH! Thanks Az... :(

3 hours ago, whiskerslaboratory said:

Exactly, the fact that it's in your amazon's message center is really not the most solid proof it's, as you say, 1000000% legit, and if you think this e-mail sounds not fishy, that has an HTTP header from one of the main internet giants then you're seriously naive.

.... this makes no sense.. IF ITS IN MY ACTUAL AMAZON ACCOUNT MESSAGE CENTER.. it means its FROM AMAZON.. not a phishing scam.... Part of my job when I was in the military was to train my company on phishing scams, social engineering etc.. so I am well versed in what to look for and how to spot fake emails and scams. Yes I know no one or nothing is perfect, but you are looking at one aspect of the larger picture and focusing on that.. you sir, are the naive one, not I. 

"Black Out"

Dedicated Streaming Rig