Huge tank of water and no radiator?

I saw some people oil cool whole pc, so I am wondering how would the effect be if I diy a AIO connect the tube to a huge water tank only, say 10L 

and the pump will be submerged to tank so it should be very silent 

sounds like crazy idea, what do yo think?

Edit: I should not use the term AIO...

Well, the huge tank of water would effectively be your reservoir.

I think you'd need to explain this idea in a little more detail.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

The pump in an AIO is built in the cooling block, how are you gonna submerge that?

Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.9 Ghz  | Gigabyte AB350M Gaming 3 |  PaliT GTX 1050Ti  |  8gb Kingston HyperX Fury @ 2933 Mhz  |  Corsair CX550m  |  1 TB WD Blue HDD

Inside some old case I found lying around.

3 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

Well, the huge tank of water would effectively be your reservoir.

I think you'd need to explain this idea in a little more detail.

Well it would be more like a diy water cooler, getting water block, tubes and pump separately and putting the parts together

6 minutes ago, dgsddfgdfhgs said:

Well it would be more like a diy water cooler, getting water block, tubes and pump separately and putting the parts together

So basically a custom loop....like everyone else is doing already...

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

8 minutes ago, Enderman said:

So basically a custom loop....like everyone else is doing already...

really? most custom loops have at least included a 240mm reservoir 

1 minute ago, dgsddfgdfhgs said:

?

A custom loop is buying the components separately and putting them together in the configuration you want.

That's literally what you described.

The only difference is that you want to use a 10L container as the reservoir instead of a regular sized reservoir.

I don't know why, since it literally does not affect the performance.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

2 minutes ago, Enderman said:

I don't know why, since it literally does not affect the performance.

maybe he means radiator?  he forgot that in his list of parts any way.

5 minutes ago, Neo-revo said:

maybe he means radiator?  he forgot that in his list of parts any way.

oh.. I mean no radiator & fan , not familiar with these terms.  sorry

1 minute ago, dgsddfgdfhgs said:

oh.. I mean no radiator & fan , not familiar with these terms.  sorry

Yeah, now that makes more sense, well it seems like you're also not very familiar with how watercooling works so let me explain.

The radiator is what does the cooling of the fluid.

The reservoir does not provide any significant cooling.

It is just there to store water to keep the loop filled when some evaporates, make filling the loop easier, and for looks.

Making the reservoir large will just make the system take longer to heat up or cool down.

Since it will not dissipate a lot of heat the water temperature will slowly rise until your PC overheats or until the water is so hot that it dissipates as much heat as your PC produces, and it will be very hot.

Assuming the PC has not shut down from overheating it will likely reach throttling, the water will be evaporating quickly, and any plastics in the watercooling loop will be degrading faster than usual due to the excessive temperatures.

So yeah, that's why people do not hook up their custom loops to a big reservoir and no radiator.

PS - people who oil cool a PC still use a radiator to cool the oil.

Spoiler

1 hour ago, Enderman said:

Since it will not dissipate a lot of heat the water temperature will slowly rise until your PC overheats or until the water is so hot that it dissipates as much heat as your PC produces, and it will be very hot.

just did some rough maths in "ideal situation." (base on assuming cpu tdp runs as rated)

assume a 100w cpu, takes 4 hr to heat up 10L water  from 25C to 60C

and if its a 150w cpu it will be around 2.7 hrs. 

in real world world I dont think a PC will actually be full load for such long time.

24 minutes ago, dgsddfgdfhgs said:

just did some rough maths in "ideal situation." (base on assuming cpu tdp runs as rated)

in real world world I dont think a PC will actually be full load for such long time.

Well if that's all you'll be doing with your PC then yeah it could work.

Most people game or render longer than that.

Also you need to consider that the computer still produces heat at idle, usually about 25-50W or so.

The equilibrium temperature probably won't be enough to make the computer overheat, but your idle temps will still be very hot.

Unless you also turn off the computer after 4 hours and don't use it for at least another 4 hours.

Spoiler

1 hour ago, dgsddfgdfhgs said:

If you really wanted to do this you could Make an aluminum tank with an outside that's like heat fins. It would help, your evap rate would be nuts though, when a loop is not sealed and heats up it can evaporate really really fast.

Also inlet near the tank center and outlet to PC should be at the edge with some sorta fin setup to force the water to move a bit and not go in a strait line. You could also just do what I did and put a radiator outside, then no noise inside

7 minutes ago, Shadow_Storm56 said:

You could also just do what I did and put a radiator outside, then no noise inside

you are using it already? what is volume you use for passive cooling .

Just now, dgsddfgdfhgs said:

you are using it already? what is volume you use for passive cooling .

No mines not passive, just the main noise is outside. I was saying u could do that.

3 minutes ago, Shadow_Storm56 said:

No mines not passive, just the main noise is outside. I was saying u could do that.

oh okay, i was just thinking some cheap distilled water bottles in offices could do the work or maybe 2 of them lol. (at a point I was thinking about toilet water)

and Al tank would not be cost efficient though,

thx for info guys

8 hours ago, dgsddfgdfhgs said:

Reservoir just makes it less likely for the pump to go dry I only use a 140 on mine and have it at the very top.  I did have to stop the pump twice to add more fluid when filling though.  Back when I did my first builds before there was a lot in the market I just had a fill tube that came up real high I tied it to the top and capped it off.  Was also using a car radiator.

AMD 7950x / Asus Strix B650E / 64GB @ 6000c30 / 2TB Samsung 980 Pro Heatsink 4.0x4 / 7.68TB Samsung PM9A3 / 3.84TB Samsung PM983 / 44TB Synology 1522+ / MSI Gaming Trio 4090 / EVGA G6 1000w /Thermaltake View71 / LG C1 48in OLED

Custom water loop EK Vector AM4, D5 pump, Coolstream 420 radiator

Those who use oil submerssion cooling still have to cool the oil with rads, usualy in the back where u cant see them.

A large res would take longer to heat up, but it would still heat up, over time cooling effectivnes will drop as it warms, eventualy your system would likely be running to hot.

Passive cooling does work, but you need a massive surface area, a large res full of water has a small amount of surface area.

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |

11 hours ago, bleedblue said:

The pump in an AIO is built in the cooling block[...]

Enermax LiqFusion would like to have a word with you.

LiqFusion.jpg.639006cd728ec4e5ee8851ebb6c4ce04.jpg

"And I'll be damned if I let myself trip from a lesser man's ledge"

12 hours ago, dgsddfgdfhgs said:

I saw some people oil cool whole pc, so I am wondering how would the effect be if I diy a AIO connect the tube to a huge water tank only, say 10L 

and the pump will be submerged to tank so it should be very silent 

sounds like crazy idea, what do yo think?

Edit: I should not use the term AIO...

It would work. Your only enemy will be heat saturation. It would cool pretty good for as long as that tank doesn't get saturated with heat (point where it can't accept any more heat). That's where your CPU temperature will start to raise slowly and probably settle at some higher value.

One way of doing that ghetto style and actually have it efficient is to use a metal tank (copper or aluminium) with fins on the outside all the way around. So it would act as a reservoir and also as heatsink. Zalman had similar design with their Reserator1 passive tower AiO systems. But glass aqarium would work to a degree as well (up to heat saturation point).

11 hours ago, dgsddfgdfhgs said:

2.7 hrs

let's talk

FBHzklg.png

g05vyz9vokhzdn9ruva3.jpg

ASUS X470-PRO • R7 1700 4GHz • Corsair H110i GT P/P • 2x MSI RX 480 8G • Corsair DP 2x8 @3466 • EVGA 750 G2 • Corsair 730T • Crucial MX500 250GB • WD 4TB

19 hours ago, dgsddfgdfhgs said:

1440P high deff texture files with Dual 290X and i still ran at 100% cpu load

HWMonitor_2018-11-03_19-15-29.png

you aim for 100% usage and hope the temps are decent..  i feel mine a little high, but i also think i am just accustomed to extremely ambient readings

Actually....

Using a large and shallow enough tank may work.

There is heat loss from water in open air.

When the water is at ~70C, assuming it's in a 10 gallon fish tank with 288 square inches of water surface area, it'll dissipate 743.4 W. This can be SIGNIFICANTLY increased by blowing air over the surface of the water. 

https://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/heat-loss-open-water-tanks-d_286.html

Of course, you'd have to refill it very often. Even my fish tank which was only at 80F evaporated water super quickly. 

If we assume that the CPU + GPU produce 400W of power, the resting temperature of the water system would be ~57 C. Certainly not great.... but for absolute silence? Remember, the water cooling loop isn't cooling the whole system, just the CPU + GPU. The rest of the power consumed by the computer would be taken away by air. At idle the water loop temp would probably be ~ 47C. 

6 minutes ago, corrado33 said:

When the water is at ~70C, assuming it's in a 10 gallon fish tank with 288 square inches of water surface area, it'll dissipate 743.4 W. This can be SIGNIFICANTLY increased by blowing air over the surface of the water. 

i get your idea, and to achieve that wide area the water block could be stuck soon...

but at 70C, rate of heat transfer would be too slow for cooling purpose