NVMe m.2 through pcie

Go to solution Solved by Kyle Hendrickson,
Just now, fasauceome said:

I have my own PC as an example. The M.2 is my boot drive.

image.png.2793734346b6142c31f56ed8ea1368aa.png

As CPUz clearly states, my graphics link width is the full x16 interface, as opposed to x8 due to any bandwidth issues.

That's very informative. Thank you.

Another question I have, unrelated to the subject is: did you use gpt or mbr in the bios when installing windows on your nvme? Also, I plan to install a second nvme m.2 through the chipset. Will my bandwidth be affected at all while using 1 for the OS and the other for everything else?

So I'm planning on making a completely new z390 build (which has 24 lanes in the chipset). I plan on installing windows 10 on an nvme m.2 through the motherboard's pcie chipset. My only issue is that I'm worried it will take away from the CPU's pcie lanes because I've read that a motherboard needs an PLX chip or something. I only plan to use 1 graphics card and wish to keep the full 16 lanes for that card.

Will my nvme m.2's take from the cpu? Or will it take from the chipsets pch lanes?

The chipset will supply the necessary PCIe lanes for the M.2 drive, the CPU will supply its full 16 to the graphics card.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

1 minute ago, fasauceome said:

The chipset will supply the necessary PCIe lanes for the M.2 drive, the CPU will supply its full 16 to the graphics card.

I read this in another forum:
"I have a brand new MSI Z390 motherboard and am using a Samsung 970 EVO NVMe x4 M.2 drive. It causes my GPU to go into x8 mode since the 9900k CPU only has 16 pcie lanes and there is no PLX chip on the motherboard and as of yet I don't know any that do. It can and will take those lanes away. It all depends on your CPU and motherboard. Some motherboards have a PLX chip which will allow switching so that you have more effective lanes."

What this person is saying contradicts what you just told me. Can you link me some information if what you say is true?

1 minute ago, Kyle Hendrickson said:

"I have a brand new MSI Z390 motherboard and am using a Samsung 970 EVO NVMe x4 M.2 drive. It causes my GPU to go into x8 mode since the 9900k CPU only has 16 pcie lanes and there is no PLX chip on the motherboard and as of yet I don't know any that do. It can and will take those lanes away. It all depends on your CPU and motherboard. Some motherboards have a PLX chip which will allow switching so that you have more effective lanes."

What this person is saying contradicts what you just told me. Can you link me some information if what you say is true?

Thta won't happen, the m.2 uses the lanes from the chipset, and won't affect the cpu lanes.

PLX won't affect this.

On 11/11/2018 at 9:04 PM, Kyle Hendrickson said:

As CPUz clearly states, my graphics link width is the full x16 interface, as opposed to x8 due to any bandwidth issues.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

Just now, fasauceome said:

image.png.2793734346b6142c31f56ed8ea1368aa.png

Another question I have, unrelated to the subject is: did you use gpt or mbr in the bios when installing windows on your nvme? Also, I plan to install a second nvme m.2 through the chipset. Will my bandwidth be affected at all while using 1 for the OS and the other for everything else?

2 minutes ago, Kyle Hendrickson said:

Your bandwidth won't be affected by using 2 PCIe storage devices.

Also, I always use the windows installer's format tool for installing Windows, I don't pre format so I don't know what format type it is. 

Primary PC:

1 minute ago, fasauceome said:

Your bandwidth won't be affected by using 2 PCIe storage devices.

Also, I always use the windows installer's format tool for installing Windows, I don't pre format so I don't know what format type it is. 

Thank you for your help

1 minute ago, Kyle Hendrickson said:

Thank you for your help

In addition to what's already been said, a GPU running in 8x mode wouldn't even be affected. The bandwidth is so high per lane now that 8 lanes is fine. Most consumer graphics cards will do fine with just 4 lanes.

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

Graphics cards do not use more than 8x btw.

The extra 8 lanes are useless.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Just now, JoostinOnline said:

In addition to what's already been said, a GPU running in 8x mode wouldn't even be affected. The bandwidth is so high per lane now that 8 lanes is fine. Most consumer graphics cards will do fine with just 4 lanes.

Thank you for your input. I'm new to building, so tidbits of information like this is really helpful for me.