Can The Bank Trace The Fraudster Who Stole Money From Me!?

MrFatty18

I know this isn’t a tech question but it falls under some it becuase I want to ask about tracing. 

2 days ago or shall I say 1 and a half my account got 800 worth from an online payment. I of course have cancelled my card and I also managed to get a full refund from PayPal as it was made via PayPal as they signed into the website where I had PayPal linked so they didn’t need my card at all but it still obviously came out if my card. 

Ok good so I got the refund and a new card but actually I’m not happy with that, the website that I got hacked from said they reported the user or the person who had access to my account but I’m nit convinced there do anything. I mean what is the most they can do? Just look at the last ip singed in that account? Can’t really do much with an ip can they becuase I tried tracing one it just goes to the near location

so I actually want to ask, if I call the bank and request to take action on this person am I able or can the bank track the person down who used my shit as ge them barred up? I researched online if I could do anything and I got shocked becuase it says that police and banks don’t want anything to do with it they just refund the money and don’t try to catch the fraudster is this actually true? If so is there a way I can deal with them then? 

You can spoof an IP address very easily and/or mask it with a VPN. Having just an IP from logs will do next to nothing and is basically no evidence to go off of. I would just secure everything, change passwords, etc. and move on.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

5 minutes ago, Lurick said:

You can spoof an IP address very easily and/or mask it with a VPN. Having just an IP from logs will do next to nothing and is basically no evidence to go off of. I would just secure everything, change passwords, etc. and move on.

Ok, well I’m just trying to make myself feel better but, let’s say if the person didn’t happen to use anything and just used their real ip is there a way I can track them or the bank ? 

So so I suppose your saying that the bank really don’t bother they just presume they will not be able to and just give you the refund and don’t bother trying to catch them? Wtf but ok then

5 minutes ago, MrFatty18 said:

Ok, well I’m just trying to make myself feel better but, let’s say if the person didn’t happen to use anything and just used there real ip is there a way I can track them or the bank ? 

So so I suppose your saying that the bank really don’t bother they just presume they will not be able to and just give you the refund and don’t bother trying to catch them? Wtf but ok then

Even then, they could claim ignorance and say someone used their wifi, there is no way to prove it really and an IP address does not equal a location or in many cases, even a general area, geo location for IP's is very arbitrary at best and might get you the right city or state but there are a lot of times where it doesn't even get that close. For banks, depending on the amount most banks just feel it's better to eat the cost than spend resources and time trying to do something about it. I mean they might be doing something about it but aren't going to tell you about it and will just keep track of it to build a case or maybe do nothing at all and drop it completely.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

9 minutes ago, Lurick said:

Even then, they could claim ignorance and say someone used their wifi, there is no way to prove it really and an IP address does not equal a location or in many cases, even a general area, geo location for IP's is very arbitrary at best and might get you the right city or state but there are a lot of times where it doesn't even get that close. For banks, depending on the amount most banks just feel it's better to eat the cost than spend resources and time trying to do something about it. I mean they might be doing something about it but aren't going to tell you about it and will just keep track of it to build a case or maybe do nothing at all and drop it completely.

I read online they can trace the up and then contact isp to get home location but then I suppose it still don’t prove who spent it does it? Becuase anyone could login to my account so shit

ok so I guess banks don’t do anything about it then? Well I guess I got my refund but still this is the 2nd time I’ve got hacked somehow so surely they must be doing somthing about it? 

No no joke my card has been hacked 2 times in a row I got this card last week from fraud and then a week later ( now ) it has been freaked again at this rate they will think it’s me or somthing pretending I mean wtf

is there no way not even through a online account or somthing they can trace the person ? Or they just rather pay me back 

Since laws change depending on location take this with a grain of salt.

Generally, the bank can't legally disclose the fraudster's information to you, since that would be unlawful sharing of personal data.

The police would have to get involved, and even they would need a warrant in order for them to obtain the information. Your best bet is to report the attempted fraud to the police, but since it has been dealt with they'll probably just file the report without doing further investigations into the case.

Nova doctrina terribilis sit perdere

Audio format guides: Vinyl records | Cassette tapes

The bank can't do anything, if it was done through Paypal. To them it will just look like Paypal took the money.

If anything, it's paypal who can do something, at most they will report the IP and other information pertaining to the fraudulent purchases (if any addresses was used for example) to the authorities and that will be it.
You really shouldn't link your paypal account to any website, regardless of how convenient it is. Heck, you shouldn't even save credit card information on any website or services. Especially if you don't have two factor authentication on said service. 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

Don't think they'll do a big investigation for $800.

Use two-factor authentication from now on.

Desktop: 7800x3d @ stock, 64gb ddr4 @ 6000, 3080Ti, x670 Asus Strix

Laptop: Dell G3 15 - i7-8750h @ stock, 16gb ddr4 @ 2666, 1050Ti 

5 hours ago, MrFatty18 said:

No no joke my card has been hacked 2 times in a row I got this card last week from fraud and then a week later ( now ) it has been freaked again at this rate they will think it’s me or somthing pretending I mean wtf

5 hours ago, MrFatty18 said:

I of course have cancelled my card and I also managed to get a full refund from PayPal as it was made via PayPal as they signed into the website where I had PayPal linked so they didn’t need my card at all but it still obviously came out if my card. 

Someone has obviously gained access to your username and password for sites that you use online. Change all your passwords for accounts you use online and don't reuse the same password on multiple sites. A password manager can help you keep track of passwords.

You can check https://haveibeenpwned.com/ by putting in your email address and seeing if there's any record of that email address being compromised through various data breaches.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

6 hours ago, MrFatty18 said:

e if I could do anything and I got shocked becuase it says that police and banks don’t want anything to do with it

Probably has to do with what little bit of money is involved. Im not sure where you live. But in the US generally there is a high dollar amount before the Feds get involved. The banks just look at this as a cost of doing business. Now if a lot more money was involved then you might get more push from the police or even have the FBI get involved. But for that little bit, they rather just give you the money back and just go on their merry way. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

It is not a pressing case for the detectives down at the precinct. Best to get new account #'s all around and drink some beer and laugh about the tale at the bar. Refund granted, solved.

Another note about banks, they wont do much of anything. That is why it took them so long to go from mag stripe to chip. The fact is banks dont care about anything but the bottom line.

Banks never transfer money directly, there is always a bank in the middle which has less info about why the money are transfered. That in mind, if the guy who is trying to steal money from you is smart, will transfer the money again, and again, and less and less information about the money will be present, they will be untrackable. For 800 euros, that's a lot of work, odd..

I'm glad to hear that you got your money back, the safe bet is, to start fresh and make your passwords and authentications as hard as possible.