Moving only windows to an ssd

lavablade02

I’m finally investing in an ssd, but because of my horrible internet and large amount of data on my hdd can’t reinstall things, nor move everything. Can I move just windows 10 onto an ssd without breaking things? Is it even possible to do without reinstalling my other programs.

i5-8600k, MSI Z370-A Pro, 2x 8GB DDR4-3k, MSI Gaming X 1060, NZXT S340, 2TB HDD, 750w Corsair PSU, AOC 2775 OC'd to 80Hz and CFG73 at 144hz

Comic sans is the worst font

Check out my monitor overclocking guide

I'd just do a fresh install. I'd say it's worth the hit having to redownload everything.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

even if you could reinstalls would be necessary as certain reg keys and programs need to be installed.

Remove 2TB drive, install SSD and isntall Windows on that.

Plug back in 2TB drive (you can delete the Windows directory at this point), if the games are steam games you can just point them to your 2TB drive.

3 minutes ago, dizmo said:

I'd just do a fresh install. I'd say it's worth the hit having to redownload everything.

I get 3 megs down and need to reinstall almost 2tb with 600g a month

i5-8600k, MSI Z370-A Pro, 2x 8GB DDR4-3k, MSI Gaming X 1060, NZXT S340, 2TB HDD, 750w Corsair PSU, AOC 2775 OC'd to 80Hz and CFG73 at 144hz

4 minutes ago, lavablade02 said:

Drivers aren't 2TB, mate.

5 minutes ago, lavablade02 said:

Install a fresh copy of Windows on to the SSD. Do not touch the HDD, leave it as is. You should be able to activate windows with the same windows live account you used on your previous windows install without doing anything with the HDD. The HDD will show up in your computer as D drive and you can access any files on it directly from there.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

1 minute ago, Spotty said:

Install a fresh copy of Windows on to the SSD. Do not touch the HDD, leave it as is. You should be able to activate windows with the same windows live account you used on your previous windows install without doing anything with the HDD. The HDD will show up in your computer as D drive and you can access any files on it directly from there.

Would I need to delete windows off the hdd

1 minute ago, lavablade02 said:

Would I need to delete windows off the hdd

Nope. Just make sure in the BIOS you set the SSD as the first boot device in the boot priority list, that way the system will go straight in to the SSD version of Windows when you turn your computer on. If you don't set it as the first boot drive, the BIOS will just look for any drive that has an operating system on it and boot in to that, so you may end up still booting in to the slow HDD.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

That is why partitioning big HDD for system is good idea - you can clone system without all games etc. But not when you have single partition. Unless of course amount of data is smaller that your SSD - then cloning is possible.

7 hours ago, Snipergod87 said:

even if you could reinstalls would be necessary as certain reg keys and programs need to be installed...

No, they wouldn't. I've cloned HDDs to SSDs many times without any problems. As long as the System on the HDD working just fine, cloning is much, much faster and easier than complete reinstalls. The only caveat is the content of the HDD would have to fit on the SSD.

12 minutes ago, homeap5 said:

That is why partitioning big HDD for system is good idea - you can clone system without all games etc. But not when you have single partition. Unless of course amount of data is smaller that your SSD - then cloning is possible.

You can even clone the games wih the OS and other pertitions if the SSD is large enough to accommodate them. I'm a huge proponent of putting the OS and programs on their own drive (preferably an SSD) and data on a separate drive (SSD or HDD). The only time I condone partitioning is to separate the System (OS and programs) from DATA is when one has a computer that cannot accomodate two drives, such as my little one drive wonder notebooks (those have four partitions on them: System Reserved, C:/ for the OS and programs only, E:/ for the data only, and the factory recovery partition).

@lavablade02 In your case, the easiest route would be to get a 2TB SSD and simply clone the entire 2TB HDD onto the SSD. I recommend Macrium Reflect Free for that. I've had excellent luck using it.

However, a 2TB SSD may be out of your budget so let's move along to Plan B. If your System and data are already segregated by partitions, then just clone the System to the SSD. When determining the size SSD needed, keep in mind that a drive will format to an apparent smaller size: 90% smaller is a good figure to work with (it will vary from size to size). Keep in mind you will need to leave at least 20-25% of the drive unused for best operation and longest life. Also factor in however much room for expansion you may need in the future. I recommend getting at least 250-256GB. 

If you your data isn't already segregated by partitions and you aren't already making backups onto a backup drive (two would be better), then this probably should be Plan A. Get a 2TB external HDD (or an internal type 2TB HDD and use it in a USB dock) and copy and paste your data (not the System files) to the new backup drive. Then delete the data on your old drive, leaving the System files intact.

Install the new SSD in the computer and clone whats left on the HDD to the SSD. Again, I recommend Macrium Reflect Free because it uses a type of cloning (fortunately, the default) that allows cloning to a smaller drive. Reset the boot order in the BIOS to boot from the SSD. Then you can delete the System files from the HDD (or just do a simple reformat) and copy the data back to the HDD in the comnputer.

The new external HDD can now serve as your backup drive for the data HDD. I recommend updating the backup using a folder/file syncing program like FreeFileSync. I also recommend using Macrium Reflect Free to backup your new SSD by making images (be sure to make recovery media using Macrium Reflect Free). You should save the images onto another external drive (you could save them to a folder on your new backup drive but you would need to set an exclusion in FreeFileSync that could get a bit complicated). I do it a little differently but I'm using a paid version of Macrium Reflect now.

Jeannie

As long as anyone is oppressed, no one will be safe and free.

One has to be proactive, not reactive, to ensure the safety of one's data so backup your data! And RAID is NOT a backup!

1 hour ago, Lady Fitzgerald said:

No, they wouldn't. I've cloned HDDs to SSDs many times without any problems. As long as the System on the HDD working just fine, cloning is much, much faster and easier than complete reinstalls. The only caveat is the content of the HDD would have to fit on the SSD.

You can even clone the games wih the OS and other pertitions if the SSD is large enough to accommodate them. I'm a huge proponent of putting the OS and programs on their own drive (preferably an SSD) and data on a separate drive (SSD or HDD). The only time I condone partitioning is to separate the System (OS and programs) from DATA is when one has a computer that cannot accomodate two drives, such as my little one drive wonder notebooks (those have four partitions on them: System Reserved, C:/ for the OS and programs only, E:/ for the data only, and the factory recovery partition).

@lavablade02 In your case, the easiest route would be to get a 2TB SSD and simply clone the entire 2TB HDD onto the SSD. I recommend Macrium Reflect Free for that. I've had excellent luck using it.

However, a 2TB SSD may be out of your budget so let's move along to Plan B. If your System and data are already segregated by partitions, then just clone the System to the SSD. When determining the size SSD needed, keep in mind that a drive will format to an apparent smaller size: 90% smaller is a good figure to work with (it will vary from size to size). Keep in mind you will need to leave at least 20-25% of the drive unused for best operation and longest life. Also factor in however much room for expansion you may need in the future. I recommend getting at least 250-256GB. 

If you your data isn't already segregated by partitions and you aren't already making backups onto a backup drive (two would be better), then this probably should be Plan A. Get a 2TB external HDD (or an internal type 2TB HDD and use it in a USB dock) and copy and paste your data (not the System files) to the new backup drive. Then delete the data on your old drive, leaving the System files intact.

Install the new SSD in the computer and clone whats left on the HDD to the SSD. Again, I recommend Macrium Reflect Free because it uses a type of cloning (fortunately, the default) that allows cloning to a smaller drive. Reset the boot order in the BIOS to boot from the SSD. Then you can delete the System files from the HDD (or just do a simple reformat) and copy the data back to the HDD in the comnputer.

The new external HDD can now serve as your backup drive for the data HDD. I recommend updating the backup using a folder/file syncing program like FreeFileSync. I also recommend using Macrium Reflect Free to backup your new SSD by making images (be sure to make recovery media using Macrium Reflect Free). You should save the images onto another external drive (you could save them to a folder on your new backup drive but you would need to set an exclusion in FreeFileSync that could get a bit complicated). I do it a little differently but I'm using a paid version of Macrium Reflect now.

Why not just throw in the ssd?

5 hours ago, lavablade02 said:

Why not just throw in the ssd?

It's not that simple unless you are going to continue to boot from the HDD and use the SSD for additional storage only, which would be a waste of its capabilities (you would be better off getting another HDD in that case). 

Jeannie

As long as anyone is oppressed, no one will be safe and free.

One has to be proactive, not reactive, to ensure the safety of one's data so backup your data! And RAID is NOT a backup!