Biggest Freak Out for Nothing

RAM555789

So I am making this thread because of an experience I went through today. I broke my monitor and needed to get a new one, and it arrived in the mail and I got to work setting it up, tossing this old VGA cable that came with it into the box, and plugging it into the HDMI slot on my GPU. I start up my computer and it says "No video cable dectected". I thought maybe the cable wasnt plugged in so I figgeted around with it turning the monitor on and off trying to get this thing to work. I then decided to check my GPU and my heart stops because the fans are not spinning. After a quick google seacrh I realize that I'm and idiot and that idle fans are just from low temps. I decide to test my HDMI cable, and computer all at once by using a friends TV. HDMI cable works and my computer comes up on his TV just fine. I'm wondering at this point wtf is going on with my monitor sit back down and then it occurs to me that it has settings, and I remember the VGA cable that comes in the box. Two buttons pressed on the monitor later and I have it working just fine with HDMI.

My question to all of you is, Whats your biggest freak out for nothing?

7 minutes ago, RAM555789 said:

My question to all of you is, Whats your biggest freak out for nothing?

That panic moment, we all have no matter who you are after finishing a build, and your finger is moving towards the power on button.  Doesn't matter, cause in that moment, we are all panicking LOL.

TBH Ive been very lucky.  Most of my panic moments are my own fault, didn't plug something in, overlooked something in the manual.  And anytime Ive bought something that didn't work, and panic the whole time trying to make it work lol.  Then the pissed off feeling during RMA process.

Workstation Laptop: Dell Precision 7540, Xeon E-2276M, 32gb DDR4, Quadro T2000 GPU, 4k display

Wifes Rig: ASRock B550m Riptide, Ryzen 5 5600X, Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6700 XT, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz V-Color Skywalker RAM, ARESGAME AGS 850w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750, 500gb Crucial m.2, DIYPC MA01-G case

My Rig: ASRock B450m Pro4, Ryzen 5 3600, ARESGAME River 5 CPU cooler, EVGA RTX 2060 KO, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz TeamGroup T-Force RAM, ARESGAME AGV750w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750 NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 3tb Hitachi 7200 RPM HDD, Fractal Design Focus G Mini custom painted.  

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 video card benchmark result - AMD Ryzen 5 3600,ASRock B450M Pro4 (3dmark.com)

Daughter 1 Rig: ASrock B450 Pro4, Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4.2ghz all core 1.4vCore, AMD R9 Fury X w/ Swiftech KOMODO waterblock, Custom Loop 2x240mm + 1x120mm radiators in push/pull 16gb (2x8) Patriot Viper CL14 2666mhz RAM, Corsair HX850 PSU, 250gb Samsun 960 EVO NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 500gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 512GB TeamGroup MP30 M.2 SATA III SSD, SuperTalent 512gb SATA III SSD, CoolerMaster HAF XM Case. 

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/37004594?

Daughter 2 Rig: ASUS B350-PRIME ATX, Ryzen 7 1700, Sapphire Nitro+ R9 Fury Tri-X, 16gb (2x8) 3200mhz V-Color Skywalker, ANTEC Earthwatts 750w PSU, MasterLiquid Lite 120 AIO cooler in Push/Pull config as rear exhaust, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD, Patriot Burst 240gb SSD, Cougar MX330-X Case

Zapped a GTX 680 once, was really hoping it still worked (it did)

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

Even with quite some knowledge about hardware, I only got to build my first system (in my signature) earlier this year. When I disassembled it to swap cases and clean it, I dropped the CPU back in the socket and on further inspection, I saw that half of the pins were in the opposite direction and I freaked out thinking I had bent half my socket's pins because I never noticed they were this way in any videos, lol. Worst part is that my PSU was stolen in shipping and I had to wait a couple weeks to test it.

Another one was when I tried overclocking my old notebook's GT540M and the temps kept rising into the high 90s and I didn't care much because I had seen my sister's notebook's CPU hit 103C and still work, before cleaning it, so I though 90C was fine, then it shut down and after turning on my GPU wasn't being detected, I thought I had fucked it up good, but it came back in the next day (only to die with other parts months later in a "physical incident").

CPU: i5 10600KFMotherboard: Asus B460M-Plus | Cooling: Gamemmaxx 400 XT w/ Corsair ML120 Elite + 1 ML120 Elite exhaust + 2 ML140 Elite intake

RAM: 2x16GB Netac DDR4 3200MT/s @2666CL13 | GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual +200/+1200MHz/+5%

Storage: 2TB XPG S70 Blade, WD Blue NVMe 500GB, Seagate Barracuda 2TBPSU: Corsair TX550M

Monitor: 2x Pichau Cepheus Fuse 28" 4k 144Hz HDR | Keyboard: Corsair K70 mk.2 Cherry MX Red

Headphone/headset: Kuba Disco Pro/Gamer + Beyerdynamic DT-770 Pro | OS: Windows 11 Home

Mouse: Corsair M65 Pro RGB + Ugreen Vertical MouseCase: Corsair Carbide 400C

When in the process of removing a Heat sink on a Titan to re-apply thermal paste, the chip shattered... The most expensive and unfortunate paperweight I have ever had. We were under suspect that it had been abused in terms of its overclocking without extra cooling and it was consistently running hotter than it should at idle, so we removed the heat sink as we would any other day, and as soon as the Heat sink came off the chip cracked and spider webbed

When I upgraded a PC for the very first time, it was a super dusty prebuilt and I had almost no experience with troubleshooting. I was putting in a new CPU and more RAM, and once the whole thing was done, there was no video output or hard drive noises, and the motherboard was making a weird buzzing noise that didn't come from the integrated mobo speaker. Of course, I was pretty worried because I had spent about 2 hours and 50 dollars (a lot of money for me back then) upgrading my PC, but the problem ended up being the RAM, since some dust had gotten into the socket when I was putting it in. That PC is still running perfectly today, so I guess I did a good job fixing it up.

Computer engineering grad student, cybersecurity researcher, and hobbyist embedded systems developer

Daily Driver:

CPU: Ryzen 7 4800H | GPU: RTX 2060 | RAM: 16GB DDR4 3200MHz C16

Gaming PC:

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600X | GPU: EVGA RTX 2080Ti | RAM: 32GB DDR4 3200MHz C16

Thank you for your service

This isn't computer related, but I was doing about 83 on a 65 mph road, drove right past a cop chilling on the side of the road I didn't see. The cop actually pulled out about 5 seconds later... Then pulled over someone else lol. I al

My Build, v2.1 --- CPU: i7-8700K @ 5.2GHz/1.288v || MoBo: Asus ROG STRIX Z390-E Gaming || RAM: 4x4GB G.SKILL Ripjaws 4 2666 14-14-14-33 || Cooler: Custom Loop || GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC Black, on water || PSU: EVGA G2 850W || Case: Corsair 450D || SSD: 850 Evo 250GB, Intel 660p 2TB || Storage: WD Blue 2TB || G502 & Glorious PCGR Fully Custom 80% Keyboard || MX34VQ, PG278Q, PB278Q

Audio --- Headphones: Massdrop x Sennheiser HD 6XX || Amp: Schiit Audio Magni 3 || DAC: Schiit Audio Modi 3 || Mic: Blue Yeti

[Under Construction]

My Truck --- 2002 F-350 7.3 Powerstroke || 6-speed

My Car --- 2006 Mustang GT || 5-speed || BBK LTs, O/R X, MBRP Cat-back || BBK Lowering Springs, LCAs || 2007 GT500 wheels w/ 245s/285s

The Experiment --- CPU: i5-3570K @ 4.0 GHz || MoBo: Asus P8Z77-V LK || RAM: 16GB Corsair 1600 4x4 || Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo || GPUs: Asus GTX 750 Ti, || PSU: Corsair TX750M Gold || Case: Thermaltake Core G21 TG || SSD: 840 Pro 128GB || HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB

R.I.P. Asus X99-A motherboard, April 2016 - October 2018, may you rest in peace. 5820K, if I ever buy you a new board, it'll be a good one.

When I was much younger I had a kid of a girl I was dating poor his soda into the top fans on my currently running machine. Was the first time I ever spanked someone else's kid. Was also the last time I ever saw that girl as her and her son lost their welcome into my home. I then spent like 4 hrs with a thing of alcohol and some lint free cloth scrubbing sticky soda off everything I could find it touched.

Luckily for me the machine lived, but I have never seen such a mess. It was already overdue for a dusting and the GPU was caked in sugary soda and dust lol.

47 minutes ago, Finwillwin said:

Every time my system takes more than  extra 1 millisecond to start, I about have a stroke.

Your profile pictures implies that xD

I once did the unthinkable, back many headphones ago...

I split an audio split, again

1 hour ago, RAM555789 said:

biggest freak out

Why were you freaking out?

Did you have a big stock trade to make, or were you going to miss the business video conference?

Those are the important freak out moments that happens and I get that.

If it wasnt anything "that" important and it happened to me, then I would just grab a few beers and start to trouble shoot. Cables, connectors, settings the usual methods for t/s.

The most recent one : Was searching for my wireless gamepad everywhere, behind my monitor, around on my desk, on my dresser, on my nightstand, in the drawes and in the other rooms....
Turns out it was right there about 10cm to the left of my keyboard, it's always been there, but apparently it may as well have been invisible to me.

Same shit happened at one of my first jobs, after 2 weeks of working there, I get called by my boss asking why I've never serviced that one room right in front of the entrance.
I was at loss for words "Huh? What? but... I... I don't believe I missed any room?", thought he was fucking with me.
He had to show me where the room was and I felt so god damn stupid... It was quite literally right there, straight from the entrance, yet I've never seen it before. 

Let's just say I didn't last long there...

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

Was getting no signal after vaccuming near my computer, thought I had killed it. Turns out I was plugging it in the motherboard's output, and not the GPU. Took it to a technician and cost me like 50$ :/

Desktop: 7800x3d @ stock, 64gb ddr4 @ 6000, 3080Ti, x670 Asus Strix

Laptop: Dell G3 15 - i7-8750h @ stock, 16gb ddr4 @ 2666, 1050Ti 

1 hour ago, Raskolnikov said:

Took it to a technician and cost me like 50$ :/

Ouch, what would you have spent that $50 on otherwise?

5 minutes ago, Canada EH said:

Ouch, what would you have spent that $50 on otherwise?

Just remembered l also had a SSD installed so it probably wasn't that bad. Still probably paid a stupid tax. ?

Desktop: 7800x3d @ stock, 64gb ddr4 @ 6000, 3080Ti, x670 Asus Strix

Laptop: Dell G3 15 - i7-8750h @ stock, 16gb ddr4 @ 2666, 1050Ti 

1 minute ago, Raskolnikov said:

it probably wasn't that bad. Still probably paid a stupid tax. ?

Yeah, but you have learned from your mistake

hopefully

??

Non tech related? When my fresh ex called me that she missed her period and there was a chance of her being pregnant. As we both found out a week later, she was not, thanks god.

Tech related? The first time I ever moved my PC from old to a new case, I could not get it boot for the life of me so I thought I fcked up my HW. After about an hour later, I realized that I did plug in power to my SSDs and I did plug my SATA cables to my MOBO, but I kiiiiind of did not connect the SATA to the SSDs.

I was doing some temp IT work for a summer, and one of my jobs was to reimage a computer for a new employee at a bank.  I did everything properly, but the proper desktop image never would show up.  I kept working on it for hours trying to get it to work, until I finally ran out of time and had to go home.  The next morning, I came in and took a look at how the monitor was hooked up.  There were both a VGA cable and a DVI cable going from the computer to the monitor.  It turns out that the computer thought it had two monitors, and the monitor input was set for the number two spot.  In the end, all I had to do was remove one of the cables and it was fine all along.